I already hate NCL

It seems like you got your answers. It does sound like their CS isn't all that great but (and this isn't an excuse for bad CS) other large companies have just as bad if not worse CS. Good phone CS is hard to come by lately.

In terms of the soda card, one thing comes to mind. If you called it a beverage package or something along those lines, maybe the CS rep thought you meant UBP and not the soda card. Either way, you can get the soda card for your son which is good.

Reading your posts it seems like you weren't really mad about the soda (which you now know you can get) or the sushi (which you also now know you can get) but you were really upset about the CS and the soda and sushi were just there to add fuel to the fire. Bad CS can leave a bad taste in your mouth but from what everyone on this forum has been saying, the CS is nothing like the serve on the cruise.

OK, so I have to ask....

Do some people really get that upset over hearing or seeing the word "hate?"

Wow - what has this world come to when people get offended over every little thing they don't approve of? Sorry, but I didn't find the thread title offensive - of course, I don't get offended by much of anything - I grew up with a thick skin and not much bothers me.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I didn't get that either. I was chuckling to myself how hurt people got over the word. Hate is a completely acceptable word to use. Just like every other emotional word, people take it to different degrees. I may say I hate banana flavored runts (I truly do). Other people may think hating them is too strong of an emotion but strongly disliking them is better. Just like me saying I love strawberry Starbursts. Someone else may think loving a candy is too strong of an emotion and strongly liking them is better. Either way is ok. It is showing your emotional level and it can't be wrong.

Wow, this sounds like a Princess cruiser "trying Celebrity", but can't hold back the sour grapes bias before they even board the ship! If you're this upset about soda, you'll no doubt be miserable by the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise. I would do yourself, your family, and everyone else on board a favor and cancel the cruise! :(

Not trying to be mean but do people not read through a thread (or at least glance it)? The OP has responded multiple times after the first post and said things have settled and everyone is happy (with a slight bad taste from CS still).

So, by your logic, it's okay to have free MDR and buffet (like all lines), and it's okay for them to have upcharge restaurants (like most lines), as long as they don't have too many choices?

What do you have against choices?

Stephen

P.S. Most things which are included on other cruise lines are included on NCL as well. The difference is that NCL offers more alternatives, for a fee.

I do not have an issue with choices. My issue(s) is with them charging for them. AND that the "for cost" choices out number the included choices.

Like I stated, it is not enough for me to cancel my booking but in the future I will take these things into consideration.

Thanks for your input. Take care.

When it comes to booking, why do people always do the work themselves? I always use Expedia and Priceline and never had any problems. Also, when using a TA, I get more discounts such as OBC and etc... Why bother to call NCL when you can get a better rate with a TA?

I will never book a cruise through an Internet travel agency again. The hold time to talk to a rep was not worth the extra $50 OBC I got through them. I'm talking hours, plus then gave me wrong information when I tried to upgrade my room. I have had a good experience with the big box retailer's travel site. They were so easy to get ahold of when I needed to.

I do not have an issue with choices. My issue(s) is with them charging for them. AND that the "for cost" choices out number the included choices.

Like I stated, it is not enough for me to cancel my booking but in the future I will take these things into consideration.

Do you really find so many more "included" choices on other cruise lines? NCL has just as many free dining choices as other lines and more than some but, while most other cruise lines may have 1 or 2 upcharge restaurants, NCL have has several on each ship. To me that isn't a bad thing. I like having so many choices.

I have cruised with Carnival for years and thought to give NCL a try this year. I have been nothing but disappointed and we are not even set to sail until December. First of all, I have been on hold with them twice for over 20 minutes each time, both of which I ended up hanging up before being helped. Second of all, my teenager loves to get a soda card but we do not drink soda. NCL tells us we either have to inconvenience his privileges and bring his soda on board with us, pay for his individual sodas all cruise or buy a soda package for ALL of us. Totally unacceptable. The boy is already bummed about no free daily sushi. The worst part is every time I do call to ask a question, the customer service is severely lacking. Not that I expect the answer I want every time, but they are not even sorry about having to deliver the bad news. I get a true feeling of 'take it or leave it' from them. Almost to the point of rudeness. I am pretty sure we are going on our first and LAST NCL cruise.

Well I'll tell you this ... its ok to be disappointed than to be dead from food poisoning on the filthy carnival ships. Paying NCL a little more is worth your life ... Isnt it?

So, by your logic, it's okay to have free MDR and buffet (like all lines), and it's okay for them to have upcharge restaurants (like most lines), as long as they don't have too many choices?

What do you have against choices?

Stephen

P.S. Most things which are included on other cruise lines are included on NCL as well. The difference is that NCL offers more alternatives, for a fee.

I don't personally have a problem with the specialty dining, but I'll play devil's advocate. Each portion of the ship dedicated to a surcharge-only area of dining or entertainment means less area that is available to the general population. For every specialty dining option, a portion of that ship is "lost." The Haven eats up space by having a private pool for those suite guests, which takes away from the pool available for everyone else. If space was unlimited, this wouldn't be an issue.

The Breakaway is a huge ship with a tiny pools and a small theater. The Breakaway theater seats LESS people than the much older Star. It's not surprising since there are essentially two theaters: The main theater and the Speigel Tent. The Speigel Tent show is a surchage show/diner. Thus the regular theater-goers suffer due to the upcharge model.

Edited by Sizzlechest

We use our TA for all questions and he is the reason we will be sailing on our 1st NCL Getaway cruise. We met him for dinner and he told us the Getaway was his new favorite cruise ship. He has sailed on both the Oasis and just got off Allure and he still prefers the Getaway.

Shari & John

I don't personally have a problem with the specialty dining, but I'll play devil's advocate. Each portion of the ship dedicated to a surcharge-only area of dining or entertainment means less area that is available to the general population. For every specialty dining option, a portion of that ship is "lost." The Haven eats up space by having a private pool for those suite guests, which takes away from the pool available for everyone else. If space was unlimited, this wouldn't be an issue.

The Breakaway is a huge ship with a tiny pools and a small theater. The Breakaway theater seats LESS people than the much older Star. It's not surprising since there are essentially two theaters: The main theater and the Speigel Tent. The Speigel Tent show is a surchage show/diner. Thus the regular theater-goers suffer due to the upcharge model.

This is my gripe too - all the upcharge places take away what was public space for lounging, walking, reading, socializing places and spaces that are now downsized, cramped or eliminated.

Small crowded pools but more people packed onboard.

For freestyle cruising too much making of reservations required!

This is a genuine question, as I'm trying to understand why this is a problem.

Would it be better if, rather than lots of small speciality restaurants, they had one or two bigger ones?

I do understand the concern that other people have about the space taken up by these restaurants (although because of their size they don't take up as much room as I'd imagined they would), but that doesn't seem to the your problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And Headliners, and SpiceH20, and Fat Cats....

Breakaway simply took the obsolete model of everybody into one theatre for 1 show, and broke it into several smaller venues with a multitude of entertainment options, with all but 1 being included.

And as the other poster mentioned about the many smaller upcharge venues, how is that different than only having 1 or 2, but making them bigger?

Neither option would change the size of the pool. There's another thread recently which very clearly educates about the limits of pool-size on bigger ships. It would be worth finding & reading.

As for the Haven, that private space (the cabins, the restaurant, the pool, the gym, the spa, and the lounge) are all separate from the rest of the ship, and are simply not part of your cruise fare.

They are paid for by the higher cruise fares of the Haven suites, for their exclusive use.

Buying a small house next to a mansion does not automatically give you the rights to the mansion's grounds and amenities, but nor does it detract from you enjoying all of what you actually paid for.

It sides beside you, it doesn't encroach upon your entitlements.

Breakaway simply took the obsolete model of everybody into one theatre for 1 show, and broke it into several smaller venues with a multitude of entertainment options, with all but 1 being included.

The older ships, like the Star had multiple entertainment venues, too, but had more "headlining" entertainment that was free. They used to have a unique production show EVERY night with a grand finale on the last night called "Elements" that combined almost all of them in a single event. They had all this AND still had the Second City shows, not so Newlywed game, etc. in the rear lounge. The difference is spreading out smaller activities to many small venues vs. big ones in fewer but bigger venues. This is why Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, and the Cirque show are done multiple nights. There's simply not enough seating and it's something the majority of people want to see.

Whether one model is preferable is a matter of opinion. However, one is certainly more profitable.

And as the other poster mentioned about the many smaller upcharge venues, how is that different than only having 1 or 2, but making them bigger?

I already explained it. Real estate on ships is a finite resource. Even on big ships like the Breakaway. The more devoted to surchage shows and dining, the less there is for "free." It doesn't matter if there are many small or 1 or 2 big upcharge venues. It effects the experience of the cruisers who don't use those resources. Of course, perception could be different. If all specialty dining areas were combined into one giant dining area, the segregation between upcharge and "free" cruisers would be more visible. By breaking things up into small pieces, it doesn't look like a big disparity.

Neither option would change the size of the pool. There's another thread recently which very clearly educates about the limits of pool-size on bigger ships. It would be worth finding & reading.

When a bigger ship has a smaller pool than a smaller ship, it doesn't take a civil engineer to figure out what's going on.

As for the Haven, that private space (the cabins, the restaurant, the pool, the gym, the spa, and the lounge) are all separate from the rest of the ship, and are simply not part of your cruise fare.

They are paid for by the higher cruise fares of the Haven suites, for their exclusive use.

Because that's the model NCL chose to implement. They chose to take space away from the common areas to provide an exclusive pool area for those rooms. I'm not knocking NCL. If people want to pay that price for that service, NCL should design their ships accordingly and take the money. Just don't tell me the existence of the Haven isn't effecting the experience of non-Haven cruisers. As Judge Judy would say, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

Edited by Sizzlechest

Because that's the model NCL chose to implement. They chose to take space away from the common areas to provide an exclusive pool area for those rooms. I'm not knocking NCL. If people want to pay that price for that service, NCL should design their ships accordingly and take the money. Just don't tell me the existence of the Haven isn't effecting the experience of non-Haven cruisers. As Judge Judy would say, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

They added an extra deck for the Haven so are you saying you would be happier if Norwegian left off the Haven deck? :confused: It was designed for Haven guests only from the start. If they leave out the haven to make you happier, you still would not have access to it. :rolleyes:

They added an extra deck for the Haven so are you saying you would be happier if Norwegian left off the Haven deck? :confused: It was designed for Haven guests only from the start. If they leave out the haven to make you happier, you still would not have access to it. :rolleyes:

How about they eliminate the Haven and put the kids area pool and Spongebob stuff there? Then they could have expanded the adult pool and added more hot tubs since they are a scarcity. That sounds like a plan!

How about they eliminate the Haven and put the kids area pool and Spongebob stuff there? Then they could have expanded the adult pool and added more hot tubs since they are a scarcity. That sounds like a plan!

How about not....you just don't get it.....no helping that. When you start your own cruise line you can design the ships.

Edited by peg013

The older ships, like the Star had multiple entertainment venues, too, but had more "headlining" entertainment that was free. They used to have a unique production show EVERY night with a grand finale on the last night called "Elements" that combined almost all of them in a single event. They had all this AND still had the Second City shows, not so Newlywed game, etc. in the rear lounge. The difference is spreading out smaller activities to many small venues vs. big ones in fewer but bigger venues. This is why Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, and the Cirque show are done multiple nights. There's simply not enough seating and it's something the majority of people want to see.

Whether one model is preferable is a matter of opinion. However, one is certainly more profitable.

I already explained it. Real estate on ships is a finite resource. Even on big ships like the Breakaway. The more devoted to surchage shows and dining, the less there is for "free." It doesn't matter if there are many small or 1 or 2 big upcharge venues. It effects the experience of the cruisers who don't use those resources. Of course, perception could be different. If all specialty dining areas were combined into one giant dining area, the segregation between upcharge and "free" cruisers would be more visible. By breaking things up into small pieces, it doesn't look like a big disparity.

When a bigger ship has a smaller pool than a smaller ship, it doesn't take a civil engineer to figure out what's going on.

You may be right. I'm not sure if Barnacle Boy is a civil engineer, or not. But his synopsis of the size limitations of cruiseship pools found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43369940#post43369940 clearly correlates the size of the ship, inversely with the pool.

Re: Haven: they did not "take space away". They added EXTRA space for the Haven experience, as a fundamental component of their ship-within-a-ship differentiation approach. This is core to the product NCL offers, allowing them to compete not only with mainstream lines, but also to syphon-off some of the borderline travelers who might have gone to luxury lines - but who enjoy having access to a larger set of activity options not found on those smaller ships.

I'm not sure how having the same show fill a theatre on multiple nights, which other shows run in other venues is supposedly more profitable than having a single show with the same performers, in a single theatre?

The only cost savings would be in not choreographing additional shows.

Where your argument falters with me is that (on an approximate basis), the linear space devoted to all-passenger areas of the ship is probably similar on the Star and the Breakaway, but in addition the Breakaway has new options which weren't previously available. You'd prefer those to go away, and have more for free. I'm not sure how that jibes with any business model... the whole reason they invested in a larger ship was to have more options.

If they eliminate the Haven, they'd have to stop sailing, as those fares (and ancillary spending by premium-paying passengers) would greatly affect the bottom line.

If you were happy with the older ships, then just sail those. Then you get 100% of the space distribution you're hoping to find.

You may be right. I'm not sure if Barnacle Boy is a civil engineer, or not. But his synopsis of the size limitations of cruiseship pools found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43369940#post43369940 clearly correlates the size of the ship, inversely with the pool.

So the obvious solution was to add an additional pool on an even higher deck for the Haven, right?

Re: Haven: they did not "take space away". They added EXTRA space for the Haven experience, as a fundamental component of their ship-within-a-ship differentiation approach.

Unless NCL has figured out a way to expand their ships into anothe physical dimension, then no. They didn't create a bigger ship and keep the passenger size static. They stuffed more people on it, too. There is no "extra" space. They put up walls to segregate passengers based on their desire to pay. That's all they did.

I'm not sure how having the same show fill a theatre on multiple nights, which other shows run in other venues is supposedly more profitable than having a single show with the same performers, in a single theatre?

Pay less performers, for one. For example, the dancers who perform in Burn the Floor are in a bunch of other shows like the Nickelodeon Pajama Jam, and Dancing with the Breakaway Stars. They don't have to house, feed, and pay additional people. They also don't have to coordinate 7 different shows (one for every night.) They have repeats, so sets remain smaller, etc.

Where your argument falters with me is that (on an approximate basis), the linear space devoted to all-passenger areas of the ship is probably similar on the Star and the Breakaway, but in addition the Breakaway has new options which weren't previously available. You'd prefer those to go away, and have more for free. I'm not sure how that jibes with any business model... the whole reason they invested in a larger ship was to have more options.

If they eliminate the Haven, they'd have to stop sailing, as those fares (and ancillary spending by premium-paying passengers) would greatly affect the bottom line.

I don't disagree. I like all the specialty restaurants and I even like having to pay for them. It's the fairest method of all. However, if they made the MDRs small, uncomfortable, or used sub par food, then that might be a problem. In my opinion, that hasn't happened. In the case of the theater and pool area, people have a legitimate gripe.

If you were happy with the older ships, then just sail those. Then you get 100% of the space distribution you're hoping to find.

Yes, if that's an option. I didn't care for the Star, but I'd like to try the Gem next. I've never been on a gem class NCL ship before.

• 2 weeks later...

Buying a small house next to a mansion does not automatically give you the rights to the mansion's grounds and amenities, but nor does it detract from you enjoying all of what you actually paid for.

It sides beside you, it doesn't encroach upon your entitlements.

AMEN!

You are one of my favorite common sense CCers.

Read a review on here by a gal ANNMEAT who stayed in the Haven ,Getaway not breakaway, always does suites and enjoyed the ship so much that she won't do it again. I was in the Haven on the Sam cruise and agree100%. The reasons are what you point out above and , oddly, the things that folks here are COMPLAINING about.

Loved the cozy feel of the multiple restaurants as opposed to gymnasium sized, multi level dining rooms. Loved having the option of Grammy experience or Theater or Headliners or Atrium. We found plenty of places to sit around and and converse. Our cruise was at capacity yet the theater was never 100% full.

The Haven pool is a birdbath. The pool area for the rest of the ship is like every other ship. Honestly, folks it is not that much smaller than others. With the water park, the Sponge Bob park, etc- you know that this ship has an adventure theme and you saw the pictures before you booked. Any complaints about the teeny tiny pool afterward are silly. And the Haven is the signature of NCL and a huge draw. Without it NCL would be ubiquitous .

I did get a call back from NCL today and was happy to hear they have hired new people to answer phones and wait times should be better very soon. Also glad that the person they had call me was pleasant and personable. I hate the fact that I used the hated hate word. I am deservedly eating crow. I hope I have a wonderful review to post for other handicapped travelers when we return.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I'm really glad you turned it around and I sincerely hope you have a great cruise. I wasn't offended by your use of hate, I think you were just frustrated.

I hope you get all the help you need with access issues for your husband.

Just another note on US /English translations.... I wince when I read the word 'handicap' I know it's acceptable in the US, but it is very offensive in the UK and if you said it to someone with a disability you would probably get a verbal slap. Just goes to show that different folks have different views on what's offensive!

Have fun!

Edited by kfowinst

Sorry for extending yet another thread that refuses to die but as one who has only sailed on Carnival (other than USN ) and getting ready for my first NCL cruise I have a slight opion slash observation. Carnival quite doing sushi tases daily and now does tastes everyday from different restaurants giving you a sample of everything. I think sushi was the start of this concept as they now have a great Sushi place I enjoyed very much. I have heard but do not yet know for sure you can purchase soda cards for individuals after boarding same as Carnival. I for one expect a great cruise on Getaway as I will be onboard to have fun. Small bumps are expected but you cant compare apples and oranges as all cruise lines seem as different as people. Just MHO Everyone enjoy and have fun and let negative postd die please.:eek:

I did get a call back from NCL today and was happy to hear they have hired new people to answer phones and wait times should be better very soon. Also glad that the person they had call me was pleasant and personable. I hate the fact that I used the hated hate word. I am deservedly eating crow. I hope I have a wonderful review to post for other handicapped travelers when we return.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Just curious. Did you contact the rep who posted here?

Hi- We're sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience thus far and would like to assist you. Please email us at publicrelations@ncl.com. Thank you!

If so, can you tell that experience?

Hope your cruise is spectacular! And I think that you are a very good example of stepping back and looking at the big picture and re-evaluating your feelings/statements. Wonder if some of those harsh critics are willing to do the same after you came back to say all was better!

I look forward to hearing about what you enjoyed and what you think NCL can do better after your cruise.

Best of Luck! :)