I already hate NCL

The silver lining is that the OP will find out they have wrong information and start to relax. They will get the soda card for their kid and have a wonderful cruise and report back here it was their all time favorite :)

****sending positive thoughts and energy****

I am going on our first ncl cruise in 2 weeks. I will agree the customer service I have gotten so far has been far from stellar but I really think you need to let this stuff go. It isn't that important. Call again and ask someone else about the soda package. Only 2 of my boys got it for our trip 2 did not. And I really don't think that not getting sushi is a reason to be upset. He will follow your lead. If you get mad about everything others will to and not enjoy themselves. If you let it go, they will too. Hope you have a good cruise.

.... The boy is already bummed about no free daily sushi. ...

I hate to tell you that, on the Breeze and some other ships, the daily sushi is no longer free. Its the same room temp sushi, but they built a nice place (Bonzai) to eat it and charge you for it.

I too am going on my first NCL cruise and am excited.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I guess everybody has their gotta-haves and dealbreakers, but I don't think I've ever gone into a cruise thinking I would end up *hating* an entire cruise line. There's a cruise line I probably won't travel again, but I'm grateful for the experience.

Wow. "Hate" is such an extreme emotion. Why do we go down THAT road? :confused:

Food for thought: If a cruiser's expectations aren't in line with reality, does that mean that the cruise line is at fault?

I'm thinking if the OP can let go of the trivial stuff a far better cruise experience awaits.

I am inclined to agree with you but wonder if the OP will come back and tell us if the "better cruise experience" occurs. :rolleyes: Certainly told us about the "bad" well in advance of getting on the ship.....

OP, I'm not at all surprised at the less than stellar customer service from NCL. We are booked for NCL cruise #32 and have found to not EVER use them. Get a good travel agent. The best information you can get about NCL is right here on this board. We personally think the on board experience is loads different than what you have received on the telephone talking with unhappy people in Miami and Arizona. I hope you enjoy the NCL on board experience in December.

the thread title is very harsh and in my opinion not necessary. Your post doesn't improve much in tone either. From what you've posted i doubt very much ncl will be able to live up to your expectations, which surprises me with you having cruised carnival for years. People have answered your 'totally unacceptable' thoughts on the soda package which should please you :d as for the boy being bummed out over sushi, he'll have to live with that extremely sad situation i'm afraid :( but never mind you can cancel and stick with your pals at carnival, so don't hate, it's not a nice word, move on and forget your bad experiences here :p

this!

I have cruised with Carnival for years and thought to give NCL a try this year. I have been nothing but disappointed and we are not even set to sail until December. First of all, I have been on hold with them twice for over 20 minutes each time, both of which I ended up hanging up before being helped. Second of all, my teenager loves to get a soda card but we do not drink soda. NCL tells us we either have to inconvenience his privileges and bring his soda on board with us, pay for his individual sodas all cruise or buy a soda package for ALL of us. Totally unacceptable. The boy is already bummed about no free daily sushi. The worst part is every time I do call to ask a question, the customer service is severely lacking. Not that I expect the answer I want every time, but they are not even sorry about having to deliver the bad news. I get a true feeling of 'take it or leave it' from them. Almost to the point of rudeness. I am pretty sure we are going on our first and LAST NCL cruise.

BAD NEWS???? Paying for soda? No FREE sushi? Bringing your soda on board?

REALLY!!!!

BAD NEWS???? Paying for soda? No FREE sushi? Bringing your soda on board?

REALLY!!!!

I know right...If that's what the OP calls a "cruise killer" then she might as well get a full refund right now. Hope she's not on my cruise, that will be some killjoy for sure.....:(

Edited by maywell

OP, I'm not at all surprised at the less than stellar customer service from NCL. We are booked for NCL cruise #32 and have found to not EVER use them. Get a good travel agent. The best information you can get about NCL is right here on this board. We personally think the on board experience is loads different than what you have received on the telephone talking with unhappy people in Miami and Arizona. I hope you enjoy the NCL on board experience in December.

This a thousand times. There's been several price drops since I booked in February and my travel agent has gotten me upgrades and/or OBC each time, including times after final payment. Two friends of mine booked with another travel agent and they didn't do squat.

I recently returned from my first RCCL cruise and it was certainly different. Did I hate it...absolutely not....did it become my new favourite Cruise Line...absolutely not. Through Cruise Critic I had a pretty good idea of the differences I would experience. There were no deal breakers. Your Cruise Experience is yours to evaluate and yours to decide go or no go! Only you can assess that.

There is another advantage to buying the one soda card on board. You will not be assessed taxes. NCL will wait until in International Waters to charge it to your account. The same applies to Specialty Dining. Aside from your impression of NCL Customer Service your other perceived issues have been addressed. I hope you are able to look past this initial negative experience. I guarantee the NCL Service while on board is generally excellent. A word of advice...if you have any issue while on board do not allow it to ruin your vacation. If you politely talk to the Hotel Department Managers or Dining Managers, my experience is that they will bend over backwards to ensure your issue is taken care of. It is very common to return to your cabin to find a complimentary bottle of wine or other amenity. NCL wants you as a customer and they will go out of their way to take care of you if you deal with them appropriately.

Enjoy your Cruise. It is a vacation.....let it go!

I think the rep or the OP confused the Unlimited Beverage Package (alcohol) with the soda card. The UBP must be purchased for everyone in the cabin. The soda card does not.

I agree. Soda card and unlimited beverage package sound almost identical when spoken....

I have cruised with Carnival for years and thought to give NCL a try this year. I have been nothing but disappointed and we are not even set to sail until December. First of all, I have been on hold with them twice for over 20 minutes each time, both of which I ended up hanging up before being helped. Second of all, my teenager loves to get a soda card but we do not drink soda. NCL tells us we either have to inconvenience his privileges and bring his soda on board with us, pay for his individual sodas all cruise or buy a soda package for ALL of us. Totally unacceptable. The boy is already bummed about no free daily sushi. The worst part is every time I do call to ask a question, the customer service is severely lacking. Not that I expect the answer I want every time, but they are not even sorry about having to deliver the bad news. I get a true feeling of 'take it or leave it' from them. Almost to the point of rudeness. I am pretty sure we are going on our first and LAST NCL cruise.

Nice troll.

Based off of the title of this thread (oh the drama!), just had to read it. Please OP, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...

That's your issue? Do some research and then plan on having the time of your life. Its a cruise vacation, not a cruise prison.

Sorry - but even if everyone in the cabin had to buy the soda package - so what?

When I go to a restaurant or nice resort, you usually buy your sodas one at a time. Do people complain about that.

NCL lets you bring sodas aboard. Try doing that at the ballpark or in a hotel restaurant.

They do offer the package. It is a LOUSY package for somebody that drinks one soda a day - but they do not complain. It is just not an option for them.

Geez.

(yea, the customer service part does seem to suck)

Without wishing to be accused of "calling out" the OP, I do feel that your choice of language is also totally unacceptable. Not very nice at all to read

A bit of a communication lapse. In the US, bummed simply means upset or disappointed, nothing to do with the rear end, what you call a bum. That is not what we call it. So, nothing unacceptable with that language for US CC readers.

I agree with most of you that the OP should probably cancel and rebook with Carnival. You can't go into a vacation with such negative feelings and hope to enjoy it.

However...if she booked recently she is correct in stating that she cannot pre-order the soda package for just her son and not for the other guests in her cabin. I booked 3 weeks ago and the info below is from my reservation page under the soda package. Both my husband and my name are checked...no way to uncheck either. We buy for both or we buy for neither. Same as the UBP. Now if that is different onboard we have no way of knowing yet.

Adult & Teen Soda Package

$6.50 USD per person per day (Adults & Teens Ages 13+)

$4.50 USD per child per day (Kids Ages 3-12)

Package Includes: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic water, Club Soda. Unlimited Fountain Soda. The entire cruise must be purchased and is non-refundable. Souvenir thermal mug is included in the purchase of the program. Children ages 3-12 staying in the same stateroom will be required to purchase the Children's Soda Package.

Applicable beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise.

A bit of a communication lapse. In the US, bummed simply means upset or disappointed, nothing to do with the rear end, what you call a bum. That is not what we call it. So, nothing unacceptable with that language for US CC readers.

To be honest, I think we've found one of the very few people from the UK that have a problem with it either.

We too are taking our first NCL cruise coming up real soon.I can only comment on the customer service that I have received and that is has been a joy.

We live in the UK and I have spoken to NCL UK on the telephone few times and the response I have had has been excellent.

We too are from the UK and have spoken to NCL twice. Once to book and again to pay. Both times The phone was answered promptly and the money taken even more promptly.

No problems. Before we booked we researched ( CC of course ) and new that if we wanted a soda card we would both need to buy them. If we were taking our son on a cruise and he whined about no Sushi, well get a life.:D

Interesting differences between American English and English English. Bum being one example. In England we put our odds and ends in a Bum bag when on holiday ( Vacation ?.) you Americans use a VERY rude word for the same bag. " F***Y Pack".:)

I agree. Soda card and unlimited beverage package sound almost identical when spoken....

In Swahili they actually do. But to pronounce Unlimited Beverage Package correctly they would have to pull out your tongue :eek:

Edited by david_sobe