Fresh Milk?

DaisyUK

Even on Seadream you have to make a special request in advance for fresh milk. Whilst it was provided without question, it's a given that on any cruise line you'll get that nasty long life stuff provided as standard.

As for trying to "mask" it in a cold glass, forget it. I can smell the stuff a mile off. NOTHING can mask the taste of long-life milk. I won't even start on cream.....

However, if some people are happy drinking it that's fine, it's purely a matter of taste I agree....

That's my only gripe about "O" and cruising in general...

Not that I'm demanding....... :D:D:D

Edited by PS Caledonia
typo...

Cunard is no longer a "British" line - it belongs to Carnival! If you want "real British" - builders tea and all that - Fred Olson is the one!

When I sailed on the QE2 in 2005 (and it was part of Carnival already since 1998), it was very "British" - down to the ladies wearing hats and gloves to the high tea. In the Princess Grill I had to wear a suite or jacket AND a tie on 21 out of 22 days - on that other day jacket alone sufficed :D. It being so formal was one of the reasons I never sailed Cunard again.

Thank you Oceania :)

Um........Samuel Cunard was Canadian. :eek:

And Fred. Olsen was Norwegian, but Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is British owned/headquartered , British run (albeit Norwegian owned), and catering to a 95% British clientele :rolleyes:

And yes.....you can get a great mug of builders ;-)

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

I live in the US, in the state of Illinois, where real milk is illegal. The best we can find in Illinois (unless one has cows) is milk that is (grass fed)cow, vat pasturized but not homonigized. I live near the Indiana state border and was able to go there to pick up my order for fresh milk from cows every two weeks. I could certainly tell the differrence and did this for eight months (until our winter weather was too brutal to drive that far). Now i am back to shopping near home at at least can purchase USDA organic milk or the obove mentioned non-homoginized.

Is this what the OP is referring to?

BTW, i have not noticed milk on O but that was before i read this post and have had the pleasure of tasing "real" milk. I do remember liking O's milkshakes however.

Edited by lyndenfa

I live in the US, in the state of Illinois, where real milk is illegal. The best we can find in Illinois (unless one has cows) is milk that is (grass fed)cow, vat pasturized but not homonigized. I live near the Indiana state border and was able to go there to pick up my order for fresh milk from cows every two weeks. I could certainly tell the differrence and did this for eight months (until our winter weather was too brutal to drive that far). Now i am back to shopping near home at at least can purchase USDA organic milk or the obove mentioned non-homoginized.

Is this what the OP is referring to?

If you google UHT milk you will see what they are talking about

The UHT milk does not need refrigeration it usually comes in a tetra pack

Good for camping or places where refrigeration could be a problem

Lyn

As some post, milk tastes good or milk taste bad, is like so many other things - YYMV depending on where / when you are sailing on O; not just whether or not you are a milk aficionado. I was a big milk drinker. We stopped ordering milk on O because of the UHT milk. For our dairy fix we had to make do with the fabulous milkshakes with ship-made hard ice cream - tough I know.

Because 'cream' came up in this thread I want to mention that for those who enjoy cream in their coffee - beware! Do not ask for cream, especially in the morning. You will get milk. 98.7% of the time that is. Last cruise I forgot first day and asked for cream and got cream - happy. next day, same. next day not and not again. Send it back with request for cream, get milk. Perhaps pre-poured for the waiters on a tray in the kitchen - I have no idea.

I enjoy coffee black and I enjoy coffee with cream but I very much dislike coffee diluted with milk. Milk adds nothing to the flavour or character and turns it grey rather than a rich brown. Black coffee is one beverage. Coffee with cream is another beverage. They are not the same to me. coffee with milk is a third classification; plain water is a good alternative. (yes, a peeve of mine).

So after all that my TIP: if you want cream then ask for 'half and half'. That has never failed me.

One morning in the MDR I explained to the waiter I did not want milk. he was gone a long time so we simply drank it black. By the time he returned he also thoughtfully came with fresh cups of coffee for us. They had no cream available in the MDR service area that morning and he went to Terrace to get some. (Did I mention the wonderful service on O)

Edited by YoHoHo

• 2 weeks later...