Cruise with epipen's

kaztig79

Last year I was on the Emerald Princess, and I had a anaphylaxis reaction to some food. The medical staff on board the were excellent and made me feel at ease with the situation.

I have been for loads of test but the doctors are unable to discover the cause. I have been given epipens in case I have another reaction.

I have been in touch with Princess, they are not sure if I need to advise them that I carry epipens with me.

I have a letter from my GP confirming I need them.

I was wondering if anyone out there has the some problem?

No problem at all. We are on the Grand at the moment and have four epipens for my son. All in our carry-on bags that were scanned (some at each port). Nothing mentioned or asked about the epipens at all.

Thank you for this information, this has put my mind a rest.

I just wish I knew what is causing this, so I could do my best to avoid eating it.

Last the reaction happened after two hours of being on board ship, when everyone else was watching us leave NYC, me and my lovely mum was down in the medical Centre for about 5 hours.

The rest of the cruise I had to avoid lost of food, just in case, and we were in New England, I was told to not in shellfish. :(:(:(

Also didn't really get to see much because to the strong antitheism given to me. Which made me very sleepy, was in bed by 10:30 every night, so looking forward enjoying the night life on board this year.

As an aside, be mindful of the expiration date. Every year, a number of people suffer grave consequences for using an epi-pen that has expired. It is truly one of the medications that must be updated continuously.

My severe allergy is to apples. Who would have thunk?

Edited by TracieABD

I had an unexplained reaction too. Since I have a severe allergy to mold, my doctor guessed it was either a drop of blue cheese dressing that fell in the pot of the one I used or the wine bottle cork had mold on it. Didn't go back to that restaurant. I carry a copy of the prescription.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I carry 2 with me everywhere. The only time I had a problem was flying through Hong Kong --they didn't know what they were and couldn't read the doctor's letter. Then eventually let me through with the epipens. As stated by someone else watch the dates on them, expired ones might not work! Enjoy your cruise.

I carry 2 with me everywhere. The only time I had a problem was flying through Hong Kong --they didn't know what they were and couldn't read the doctor's letter. Then eventually let me through with the epipens. As stated by someone else watch the dates on them, expired ones might not work! Enjoy your cruise.

Same thing happened to us in HKG. The screener even had the Men in Black Berets come out. Had to explain to their Lt the epi's were for my Kid. After looking at the forms he patted Kid on the head and said something of a rebuke to the screener and everyone went back to their corners.

Thank you all for getting back to me.

What I have also done, is typed up the following:

"I have Idiopathic Anaphylaxis; I need to use my Epipen that is in my bag. Please call you emergency Services"

Then I have translated it into the languages of the counties we are visiting.

I have resisted my epipens on the "https://www.epipen.co.uk/patient/expiry-alert-service/"

Just as Tracie advises for epi-pens expiation date, for diabetics who carry a Glucagon Emergency Kit, which is similar, the same is true. They quickly lose strength after expiration.

2 Epi-Pens, but now I carry two Auvi-Q's as my epinephrine auto-injector. They are much more portable, looks like the size of a cell phone. Less cumbersome. The prescription is on the box, so there has never been any issues for me traveling by cruise or plane in USA, Europe or Caribbean, or Bermuda...Noone looks twice at them.

I no longer test positive for nuts, and peanuts.....but since I have gone thru a few allergic reactions- I never travel without.

I also carry Melting antihistamines (sub-lingual tabs), so they would work faster, easier to carry than liquid.

Bernadette

A Glucgon emergency kit is only similar to an Epi-Pen in that it can save a life by an injection.

Epi-pen/auvi-Q is an auto-injector.

The Glucagon kit is a syringe prefilled with diluent and also a vial with Glucagon. It has to be mixed by inserting the fluid into the vial, mixing it, and removing it and then it is ready to be manually injected by the person giving it.

I've heard they are coming out with Glucagon premixed, but pharmacies are only supplying the kits you have to mix up.

BTW- as in most cases, outdated meds lose strength- this page cited research that showed Epi's still had a high % of epinephrine left in

them http://allergies.about.com/od/anaphylaxis/a/Expired-Epipen.htm

@Katzig, perhaps a foodserver was wearing gloves that had latex in them. Food allergies are so hard to figure out.

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet
add

We've never had a problem taking DS epipen; we put them in a carryon.

As for the expiration date, our pharmacist said that the epipen is still "good" for up to a year after the expiration date. It isn't as effective but it will still work. I know this because of a conversation I had with him about being afraid of having to use an expired pen.

I am pleased to hear all these positive things as I am travelling for the first time since having severe allergies and I'm a little apprehensive !!!

I am glad to hear they were able to manage a reaction without having to medivac you from the ship and that you have epipens now in case !!

It may actually not be anything food related as there is such a thing as idiopathic anaphylaxis... Which has no discernible cause...

But you have my total sympathy as random reactions are frightening and leave me feeling very unsettled and wary of going out !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am pleased to hear all these positive things as I am travelling for the first time since having severe allergies and I'm a little apprehensive !!!

I am glad to hear they were able to manage a reaction without having to medivac you from the ship and that you have epipens now in case !!

It may actually not be anything food related as there is such a thing as idiopathic anaphylaxis... Which has no discernible cause...

But you have my total sympathy as random reactions are frightening and leave me feeling very unsettled and wary of going out

Yes. My son gets excercise induced Anphylaxis.

He runs long distance so now he carries epi pens.

Very scary, no known cause. :(

I have just order my self Double EpiPen Pouch also a Medical ID Bracelet.

The bracelet is a VERY smart move. They really do save lives.

I presume that you've booked another Princess cruise? If so, have a wonderful and uneventful cruise!

Maureen

No the first time it happened I was at my nan's and she wasn't wearing gloves when she dished up her roast dinner.

Has anyone looked to see if your reaction is related to flavor enhancers such as are in gravy granules and lots of other sauces and toppings. There are so many hidden substances in prepared foods. Just read what's in a package of flavored snacks or gravy granules --amazing.

I also carry Melting antihistamines (sub-lingual tabs), so they would work faster, easier to carry than liquid.

Bernadette

I've never heard of this. Are these used as a substitute for the epi-pens? Just wondering since my wife has to travel with epi-pens and these might be smaller and easier to travel with.

Edited by JimAOk1945

...I just wish I knew what is causing this, so I could do my best to avoid eating it...and we were in New England, I was told to not in shellfish...

Best of luck to you in figuring out the cause(s) of your allergies. I have many, and have learned to be a careful label-reader. For example, fish and shellfish lurk many places you would never expect.

Some vitamin pills contain fish oil (and not just the omega-3s), and many brands of Worcestershire sauce contain anchovies. Many Chinese foods can contain oyster sauce to add a smoky flavor, including fried rice and chow mein, even if they are advertised as pork fried rice or chicken chow mein.

Again, best of luck!