Confused about Transfers

Sailing away soon

First let me start with: Yes I did a search to try and find an answer to my question. Our 55 day cruise next year included transfers. We are doing our own air on miles and going into Tokyo 1 day early and out of Istanbul one day later. Our travel agent is telling us Oceania has a "rule" that states you can only use their transfers if you are flying in or out on the same day. I am all for rules that make some kind of logical sense however what does it matter if we are walking off a plane or hotel transportation if we are there when they are transporting people to and from the ship. No we were not asking for a special time. We were asking what time Oceania would like us at the airport when we found out this rule. We were also told that they do not give a credit for not using the transfers. Perhaps some one has dealt with this already and can explain it to me. I have found Oceania to be excellent to work with, this just seems to be a funny quirk.

Thanks

To my knowledge the only time O includes transfers is if you are using their pre or post hotel booked through them or you paid for the transfers

Did the specific cruise have transfer included as a perk?

I would just book a taxi

Maybe someone on your cruise has some insight ...check on your roll call for your cruise

I just looked & saw that your GV cruise includes transfer but I think this may be only if you take the O air as your TA pointed out

Maybe when you opted out of the included air you also lost the transfers ...just guessing

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

My guess is it's most likely they will be transporting people from the airport to the ship on the day of the cruise; that's when their standard air arrangements arrive.

It sounds to me like you need transportation from the airport to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the ship. Are you arriving at the same time as other folks who used Oceania's air? Are you staying at the same hotel?

Their transportation is not generally by taxi or private car; they know when groups of people are arriving at the airport, and they generally use bulk transport like a bus. That's especially true when they are arranging transport for the folks who are using Oceania's pre-cruise hotel arrangements. The one time we did that, they arranged several buses to take guests on a brief tour then on to the ship. They are not setup to handle independent couples at different hotels or arriving on different airlines.

If I am not mistaken, transfers means that you use the provided bus at the same time and with all the other passengers headed to the airport. That's how it was at the end of a Princess cruise we took around Australia. It was not a taxi transfer at a time and day that we specified.

Our hotel in Tokyo is transporting us from the airport to the hotel and then back to the airport the day that Oceania has us boarding the ship. Oceania would have transferred us if we flew in the same day so it is not tied to their air. I guess this is why I do not understand what it matters to Oceania how we get to the airport the day our transfer would take place. If I was asking for something outside of the time transfers would take place it would make sense to me. As it is we are going back to the airport the day we would have arrived if we had used their air.

Our hotel in Tokyo is transporting us from the airport to the hotel and then back to the airport the day that Oceania has us boarding the ship. Oceania would have transferred us if we flew in the same day so it is not tied to their air. I guess this is why I do not understand what it matters to Oceania how we get to the airport the day our transfer would take place. If I was asking for something outside of the time transfers would take place it would make sense to me. As it is we are going back to the airport the day we would have arrived if we had used their air.

If the hotel is willing to transfer you back to the airport (for a fee or for "free") why not have them transfer you to the ship instead? Or just arrange the transfer from the hotel to the ship yourself - going back to the airport is a waste of time, IMO, especially as you have only 1 extra day in Tokyo.

Edited by Paulchili

I was just hoping someone would be able to tell me "why" this "rule" makes sense. The hotel we choose is only 1 1/2 miles from the airport so it was much easier to go back to the airport instead of finding transportation to the ship. I guess I just like things to make common sense and this does not to me. It goes back to my original question what difference does it make to Oceania if I step off an airplane or hotel transportation? And the opposite is true when leaving the ship in Istanbul. Why is it a problem to take me to the airport on the day we arrive and I get on a hotel shuttle that day and the airplane the next? We have arranged our own transfers before and can do it again. I have found that people who answer these roll calls and forums are often more knowledgeable then the person who answers the phone at Oceania or a travel agent so I thought I would just bring the question to all of you. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I was just hoping someone would be able to tell me "why" this "rule" makes sense. The hotel we choose is only 1 1/2 miles from the airport so it was much easier to go back to the airport instead of finding transportation to the ship. I guess I just like things to make common sense and this does not to me. It goes back to my original question what difference does it make to Oceania if I step off an airplane or hotel transportation? And the opposite is true when leaving the ship in Istanbul. Why is it a problem to take me to the airport on the day we arrive and I get on a hotel shuttle that day and the airplane the next? We have arranged our own transfers before and can do it again. I have found that people who answer these roll calls and forums are often more knowledgeable then the person who answers the phone at Oceania or a travel agent so I thought I would just bring the question to all of you. Thanks again for the suggestions.

While I have yet to travel on Oceania, I have cruised Regent and with the same parent company, many things are the same or similar. Believe regarding transfers, they are included with the air so when you get a credit for the air, the transfers go away as you get a credit for the package. You are now an independent traveler so you would need to purchase ala carte and pay the transfer since you gave up the transfer when you gave up the air and got the credit.

As far as making sense, there are two sides that determines what makes sense, the seller and the buyer. Since the seller usually makes the rules, they make them make sense to them and skew them in their favor. So, in this case while it doesn't make sense to you, the writer of rule thought it made sense to them. Not saying whether or not I agree with your issue simply pointing out that there are two ways to look at any rule and what makes sense to one party may not make sense to the other.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

I started to answer you before anyone else had but held off because I was puzzled by the question. I still am.

Oceania probably doesn't care but normally you are paying for the transfer unless you are using their hotel package. If you're on your own, you're still on your own ...if they have a bus going to the hotel or port (or airport) when you are going, you can always pay them to take you. But they expect to be paid ... (And you don't get a credit for not using their transfer since it isn't free to begin with, like the "air" which is considered "free". You get a credit if you don't use the "free air" but transfers are in a different category.)

We lucked out once with Renaissance because they weren't as efficient as Oceania ... We had booked our own air to Athens for a cruise in order to get a non-stop flight from NYC but we ended up on the same flight as many of our fellow passengers so we just walked on to the bus and got transferred for free to the hotel ... I don't recall if Ren charged for the transfers or not, but it seems to me they were included if you used their air but not if you didn't. Back then they were giving us "free" hotel stays which may have been a factor. Anyway, no one checked to see if we were supposed to be on the bus so they took us to our hotel and that was that.

This would never happen with an Oceania flight! Then again, when we book our own air we are going in a few days early, coming back a few days late, so the likelihood of being on an "Oceania" flight is pretty non-existent.

Mura

I sympathize with OP and I think I understand his point.

As I understand it, the transfer was a PERK on this cruise - much like unlimited internet or PPG. Thus it was NOT tied to either air or hotel package per se (as it normally is). Thus, if he shows up at the time that O flight arrives, he should get his transfer.

JMO.

I sympathize with OP and I think I understand his point.

As I understand it, the transfer was a PERK on this cruise - much like unlimited internet or PPG. Thus it was NOT tied to either air or hotel package per se (as it normally is). Thus, if he shows up at the time that O flight arrives, he should get his transfer.

JMO.

I was going to say the same thing ...just show up at the airport when others are arriving ;)

After the cruise just fill in the form for what time you want to go to the airport & then you can do whatever you like

I think this is a 1st for Oceania for this type of transfer

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Thanks again for your suggestions and thoughts. Dave you are right, what makes good sense to one might not make good sense to another. That is why I am trying to understand Oceania's point of view. This will be our third cruise with Oceania and 14th overall. I had found Oceania to be the most service oriented cruise line that we have ever been on. So I am trying to understand how this rule makes good safety or business sense. All in all I am looking forward to an incredible cruise.

Thanks again for your suggestions and thoughts. Dave you are right, what makes good sense to one might not make good sense to another. That is why I am trying to understand Oceania's point of view. This will be our third cruise with Oceania and 14th overall. I had found Oceania to be the most service oriented cruise line that we have ever been on. So I am trying to understand how this rule makes good safety or business sense. All in all I am looking forward to an incredible cruise.

OK, I'll try a theory to explain things from the companies point of view. Your situation is unique in that you are willing and able to return to the airport in the early morning to pick up the transfer. The company needs to write a single rule and not take into accounts anomalies like yours so they simply say no transfers if you deviate. Trying to write in all of the possible options would be difficult. It's a matter of cost. On embarkation and disembarkation day they run buses that can take up to 50 people in one trip. Taking people one or more days before or after would require much more expensive transfers for as few as 2 people per transfer.

Your issue is probably a win win for you and the company in that you want to meet the incoming passengers on embarkation day at the airport and be dropped off at the airport on disembarkation day. Obviously cannot speak for the company but, have you tried to approach the company and ask if you can be a special case since it shouldn't cost the company anything more than they are already incurring as most buses seem to have empty seats and if paying for the transfer per person, based on you being on a cruise with transfers included won't cost the company any more.

After all, doesn't cost anything to ask and the worst that can happen is they say no and you are right back where you are today. And, hopefully you could also mention that you will pass this on to CC to show that the company takes care of its' passengers.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Sailing away soon,

My wife and I arrived in Istanbul on sail day, a day later than we had planned. We had not booked transfers. As we came out of the airport with our luggage, and about to take a taxi, I noticed that a coach was loading 'O' passengers who had just arrived from the US. I asked the person in charge if they had spare seats and was told yes. We were asked for our 'O' boarding docs and was told that the transfer cost would be charged to our stateroom....no fuss, good service.

I'll start by saying " I haven't a clue as to whether Oceania docks in/around Tokyo. I can say that Narita, the international airport is about 2-3 hours, depending on traffic, from downtown Tokyo. The OP seems to be somewhere in between. So not knowing where the all the logistics involved, it's hard to define what O should and shouldn't/might do in this case. I have traditionally taken the train from Narita to the central station and then transferred to a subway line to the hotel. A hotel from the airport downtown is a small fortune.

If the OP is arriving a day early, is his hotel anywhere near where the other early arrivers might be staying on the O package? If one get's free shuttle to their hotel from Narita, I'd say take it. Then be prepared to pay a hefty fee to get to the ship.

I'll start by saying " I haven't a clue as to whether Oceania docks in/around Tokyo.

There are two possible locations in the Tokyo area where the ship may dock. Yokohama is often considered the main location but Harumi Pier in Tokyo itself is an alternative. Yokohama is a good 45 minute drive to Central Tokyo on a good day. There is an expressway for most of the distance. The drive from Harumi Pier into Central Tokyo can take thirty minutes as well so not a lot of change there. I have left a cruise from both Yokohama and Harumi and prefer Harumi.

There is a direct frequent rail service from Yokohama to Narita Airport. I have not taken that service which travels through Central Tokyo so am not too sure about the journey time but would estimate about ninety minutes.

The Airport Limousine bus also has a direct service from YCAT (Yokohama Central Air Terminal) to Narita, and this has a more direct route avoiding Central Tokyo.

Oceania brochures describing the Tokyo location do emphasise the things to be done on shore excursions there rather than those in Yokohama where there some in their own right such as their world famous Chinatown and one of the most famous gardens in the whole of Japan so it suggests that Harumi is their destination. I guess they will tell you if you ask.

May I point out a few things..transfers are Not included on Oceania UNLESS you are taking Oceanias hotel package so even if the OP went to the airport she would have to pay for transfers to the ship which would probably be more than a taxi from the hotel to the port..

I am sure if she wants to go to the airport the day of departure and pay for transfers that can be arranged..not a big deal..

Jancruz1

May I point out a few things..transfers are Not included on Oceania UNLESS you are taking Oceanias hotel package so even if the OP went to the airport she would have to pay for transfers to the ship which would probably be more than a taxi from the hotel to the port..

I am sure if she wants to go to the airport the day of departure and pay for transfers that can be arranged..not a big deal..

Jancruz1

Normally that is the case .the cruise the op is on has transfers included .like the free internet & I think that is where confusion lies since they have booked their own air

Lyn

2 for 1 Cruise Fares, FREE Airfare, Early Booking Savings up to 65% per stateroom, Unlimited Internet, Laundry Services, Visa Package and Roundtrip Transfers*

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/grandvoyages/nau150326a/default.aspx

Edited by LHT28

Normally that is the case .the cruise the op is on has transfers included .like the free internet & I think that is where confusion lies since they have booked their own air

Lyn

2 for 1 Cruise Fares, FREE Airfare, Early Booking Savings up to 65% per stateroom, Unlimited Internet, Laundry Services, Visa Package and Roundtrip Transfers*

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/grandvoyages/nau150326a/default.aspx

Lyn, I have heard about a lot of perks but I doubt there were transfers included if they dont have their air the day of departure..if there were someone wasnt thinking

Jancruz1

"Our travel agent is telling us Oceania has a "rule" that states you can only use their transfers if you are flying in or out on the same day."

Given your situation, it doesn't make sense that you shouldn't be able to take the transfers included in the fare.

Perhaps a question to ask (yourself, of course...) is how do they know that you are flying in or out the same day if you're doing your own air? Would you be similarly disallowed if you lived in the port of departure? For example, if you lived in Miami near the airport and the transfers were included for that cruise that left from Miami, would you also not be entitled to the transfer if you got dropped off at the airport the morning of the cruise departure? If you aren't, what is the reasoning there as that will probably be the same reasoning for your situation.

Just theoretically, if you put in an imaginary flight that arrived/left the morning of the cruise departure/arrival, I can see an issue if the flight you say you arrive on that morning is late/cancelled, so they aren't looking for you, so that might be the reason? I don't see this as an issue on the departure leg though because if it was delayed/cancelled, I would think that O would just drop you off at the airport and leave you to deal with it since you "booked" the flight on your own.

Lyn, I have heard about a lot of perks but I doubt there were transfers included if they dont have their air the day of departure..if there were someone wasnt thinking

Jancruz1

The OP's situation is basically as if he/she arrived and left the same day as the cruise. Airport to dock on day of embarkation and dock to airport on day of disembarkation.

The OP's situation is basically as if he/she arrived and left the same day as the cruise. Airport to dock on day of embarkation and dock to airport on day of disembarkation.

Heres the problem..if she didnt take O's air why would she get transfers and if she did they knew what days she was flying so that transfers would not be available....I wonder if the OP is from the US because International passengers are a little different on what they get..

Jancruz1

Has anyone else actually heard of this Promotion where the Transfers are included as a perq? :confused:

I ask because, using the Tokyo to Bangkok Cruise on 3/26/15 as an example, the rules appear to be the same as we have come to expect (italics mine):

Transfers

Pre- and Post-airport transfers are available to all guests who have air travel arrangements included. You may select our standard group transfers or request a private transfer. Private transfers are based on availability.

Guests who have purchased pre- or post-hotel packages will be transfered to and from the airport and hotel(s).

Guests with independent air travel arrangements may purchase standard round-trip group transfers and must provide air schedule details.

Has anyone else actually heard of this Promotion where the Transfers are included as a perq? :confused:

I ask because, using the Tokyo to Bangkok Cruise on 3/26/15 as an example, the rules appear to be the same as we have come to expect (italics mine):

Thanks Jim..I didnt have time to look it up but I NEVER heard of transfers being included without the hotel package from Oceania..

Jancruz1