Corkage Fee

qsuzi

So if the wine is in my carry on and I bring my own corkscrew, I will still be charged per bottle? How do they know if I have it in my carry on? Do they take it out at x-ray?

When the checked bags or carry ons are scanned, it will probably be discovered. If in checked bags, you will be called down to the "naughty room" where you will have a choice of paying the fee or having them hold the wine for you until the end of the cruise. If in your carry on, you will pay at the table at check in, or they will hold it. Once the fee is paid the wine can be taken to dinner if you like. They will retrieve it at whatever restaurant you happen to be.

Edited by punkincc

And to OP...the charge not only applies regardless of WHERE you drink the wine...it also applies regardless of IF you drink the wine. Bring the wine onboard, pay $15. Take it off the ship unopened, the $15 is not refundable.

Edited by sjbdtz

it also applies regardless of IF you drink the wine. Bring the wine onboard, pay $15. Take it off the ship unopened, the $15 is not refundable.

Really? People have stated here that you can get a refund on the last night if you take unopened bottles to guest services.

And to OP...the charge not only applies regardless of WHERE you drink the wine...it also applies regardless of IF you drink the wine. Bring the wine onboard, pay $15. Take it off the ship unopened, the $15 is not refundable..

Hmmm. I could swear people report that the fees were refunded for any wine unopened. If not, taking on a case of wine and then not drinking it all could be an expensive proposition!

Many have reported getting a refund. I would have no idea as there is no way in hell I would not finish whatever I brought onboard. Dragging wine home along with my dirty clothes? Not gonna happen.

As said, it is $15 per bottle brought about, with or without a cork. If you happen to take it to a dining room and do not finish it, they will hold it for you. Or you can just fill your glass and take it with you. Or take the bottle with you.

Again, I have no idea what having wine left over means.

It more correctly should be called a service charge or service fee per bottle. It has nothing to do with corkage.

So if the wine is in my carry on and I bring my own corkscrew, I will still be charged per bottle? How do they know if I have it in my carry on? Do they take it out at x-ray?

A corkage fee is charged by a restaurant to patrons bringing their own wines to a meal.

whether you call it a service charge or a corkage charge. Its the same thing. so call it a service charge if you would prefer and its $15 per 750ml if you want to know

and yes they NCL x-rays the luggage both carry on and checked. as DHS requires them to do! If you bring something unauthorized in your checked luggage you will be called down to the front desk(aka the naughty room) to open it. At the check in they require you to take it out.

Wine & Champagne Policy
Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

The key part of the policy is "and served or consumed".

Based on the stated policy, if the wine is brought onboard and subsequently removed without being consumed, then no corkage is due...any corkage pre-paid on that bottle should be refunded to the guest.

Those who have stated that they got the money back when wine was not consumed onboard are correct.

Thank you all for responses. I guess I will be leaving my wine at home. Definitely not going to pay $15 on top of what I already paid. I guess now I know why 24 of my 26 cruises have not been on NCL. POA seems to be the best way to see Hawaii.

If you like champagne, OP, say Cliquot which goes for $88 on board plus 15% service fee vs $50 at my local wine store or at the Publix near my hotel , add the corkage fee and I still save $ 35 for each bottle I bring vs buy on board.

Their Viva Vino package has reasonable prices and we have no must- have wines, so we can order that on board or just by the glass as we feel like it.

But champagne drinkers can save some cash .

Thank you all for responses. I guess I will be leaving my wine at home. Definitely not going to pay $15 on top of what I already paid. I guess now I know why 24 of my 26 cruises have not been on NCL. POA seems to be the best way to see Hawaii.

Just off the Breakaway this morning. Yes, corkage fee is refunded for unopened bottles, but you can't do it until departure morning ... and the Guest Services staff don't appear to all understand how it works as the fee is not on your invoice as "corkage fee" but a charge from a restaurant. Manhattan for us.

Enjoy.

Here is a situation to view:

You are on one cruise and pay the corkage fee for the bottles that you brought

onboard.

You don't drink all the wine and because you have a cruise a few weeks later

you decide to take these with you on that cruise.

OK you have paid for the wine on the first cruise and the next cruise was not a

back to back where in essence you do not leave the ship with your bottles -

You did not request a refund on the unconsumed bottles which you plan

to bring on the next cruise.

So you board the next cruise with your bottles and show the wine police the

stickers paid from the previous cruise - NEW CHARGES or a pass ?

A cruise neighbor/friend posed this to me as he has 8 bottles with paid stickers

and says they are mine just hope there is no hassle in having to pay the corkage

fee twice.

Comments - remarks - anybody done this ?

A cruise neighbor/friend posed this to me as he has 8 bottles with paid stickers

and says they are mine just hope there is no hassle in having to pay the corkage

fee twice.

Comments - remarks - anybody done this ?

Unconsumed wine!!!??? Shocking :p

Great question though. I would think, if they have the stickers they should be a pass, however, unless it's the same ship, not sure it would pass muster.

Let's hope the experts know for sure. Good luck.

you travel with your own wine cellar? red wine doesn't travel all that well anyway. if this is so important(the corkage) make sure you get your money back.

otherwise given that you seen to always be at sea just think of it as the cost of having your own whine cellar.

I have fake wine stamps for sale.

morning all..

have just been havin a chuckle over all of this especially this Quote

Again, I have no idea what having wine left over means. :D

as that sounds like me,,, but does this fee also include Spirits,,,

so looking forward to our cruise on the Jade in Oct 2015...

...You did not request a refund on the unconsumed bottles which you plan

to bring on the next cruise.

Looking for trouble here.

If I was the guy collecting, I would assume the stickers were bogus. If for soe reason somebody still has some wine left over, they should get a refund. Or better yet, just call my room.

Many have reported getting a refund. I would have no idea as there is no way in hell I would not finish whatever I brought onboard. Dragging wine home along with my dirty clothes? Not gonna happen.

As said, it is $15 per bottle brought about, with or without a cork. If you happen to take it to a dining room and do not finish it, they will hold it for you. Or you can just fill your glass and take it with you. Or take the bottle with you.

Again, I have no idea what having wine left over means.

I totally agree, Gary! No way would we have left over wine from a cruise! Corked or not corked!

Well, I guess I'm not a major-league drinker, because I had two unopened bottles of wine I brought on board, paid and then was refunded the corkage fee. These were not the only bottles I brought on board, though.

On the ship, a $10 bottle of wine will cost you about 30 bucks.

The corkage fee is worth it. A $30 dollar bottle will cost about an arm and a leg.