Corkage Fee

qsuzi

Hmmm. I could swear people report that the fees were refunded for any wine unopened. If not, taking on a case of wine and then not drinking it all could be an expensive proposition!

Yes, you can get a refund. We just did it for one bottle at the end of our May cruise.

On the ship, a $10 bottle of wine will cost you about 30 bucks.

The corkage fee is worth it. A $30 dollar bottle will cost about an arm and a leg.

For some, it is worth it. For others it is not. Our $10 bottle of wine if bought in the store will cost $22 on the ship, plus 15%. Well worth it to us to avoid lugging it around. And still cheaper than most restaurants or theatres at home - none of which allow us to bring our own,at any price.

For those with more "educated" tastes than ours, bringing your own may be a better idea.

morning all..

have just been havin a chuckle over all of this especially this Quote

Again, I have no idea what having wine left over means. :D

as that sounds like me,,, but does this fee also include Spirits,,,

so looking forward to our cruise on the Jade in Oct 2015...

I think your post got missed during the wine tour so I'll just post the Alcohol Policy for you :D (this is from the NCL website) Slightly off topic but that's ok.

You can purchase what's called a bar setup, in my eyes, quite expensive,

but you can choose the product you want by calling NCL and it should be in your cabin on embarkation.

Can I bring alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol (spirits as you call it) on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area. Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Wine & Champagne Policy
Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

The key part of the policy is "and served or consumed".

Based on the stated policy, if the wine is brought onboard and subsequently removed without being consumed, then no corkage is due...any corkage pre-paid on that bottle should be refunded to the guest.

Those who have stated that they got the money back when wine was not consumed onboard are correct.

My apologies. I have never done this (and would never have unfinished wine!) so didn't realize could be refunded.

OP, please disregard my earlier 'contribution' to the thread.

Stephen

Thanks everyone for your answers; they are so helpful. Anyone have a link to a list of wine that can be purchased on-board? :)

Provided by CC Member Alliezona09 - much appreciated.

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories

plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders.

Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT

for certain ports or itineraries

Provided by CC Member Alliezona09 - much appreciated.

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories

plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders.

Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT

for certain ports or itineraries

This is exactly what I spent 15ish minutes looking for and was not able to find so really appreciate you posting it. THANKS. These are great prices. I am a red wine drinker and would probably lean toward the highest price package but have only had Robert Mondavi. Assume Mandavi is a spelling error. Can I choose to have the bottles just delivered to our stateroom? I don't see a Mondavi red wine (Deep Rose perhaps?) so would appreciate a suggestion from the list provided?

Edited by qsuzi

This is exactly what I spent 15ish minutes looking for and was not able to find so really appreciate you posting it. THANKS. These are great prices. I am a red wine drinker and would probably lean toward the highest price package but have only had Robert Mondavi. Assume Mandavi is a spelling error. Can I choose to have the bottles just delivered to our stateroom? I don't see a Mondavi red wine (Deep Rose perhaps?) so would appreciate a suggestion from the list provided?

Glad I could help. As far as having the wine delivered to your cabin, I believe you can, just ask when you purchase it onboard.

Have a great cruise,

Cheers.

Just off Breakaway yesterday. I purchased the Viva Vino 8 bottle package and had all 8 bottles delivered to my cabin the first day. Bought it at the bar in the Atrium on deck 6. They will hand you a form with the 3 packages on it. Just fill out the quantities next to your selection and ask to have them delivered to your cabin. It takes some time, but they will arrive with two bottles and two glasses in an ice bucket (if you need more glasses, just ask). The rest of the bottles are not in the bucket. I had my steward empty my fridge, and kept the other bottles in there. They make it very easy for you to drink onboard, believe me!

Cheers!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

And here's a link to NCL's full, fleet-wide wine list (minus the POA, which has its own wine list):

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_03172014.pdf

What is POA? These prices and selections are different than those posted by "AllReady2Cruise| so now I'm confused. :)

Edited by qsuzi

What is POA? These prices and selections are different than those posted by "AllReady2Cruise| so now I'm confused. :)

PoA is Pride of America, NCL America's ship that cruises in Hawaii and therefore has different regulations what comes to alcohol (the cruise never leaves US).

The PDF wine list is what you can buy by bottle (some by glass) anytime in bars and restaurants and the Viva Vino package that was copied here in full is the selection that you can get package discount on when purchasing 4, 6 or 8 bottles at once.

PoA is Pride of America, NCL America's ship that cruises in Hawaii and therefore has different regulations what comes to alcohol (the cruise never leaves US).

The PDF wine list is what you can buy by bottle (some by glass) anytime in bars and restaurants and the Viva Vino package that was copied here in full is the selection that you can get package discount on when purchasing 4, 6 or 8 bottles at once.

Thanks for the info. :)

Phewwwwwww, thought I'd missed something but you're not cruising on the POA, right?

Enjoy your cruise. :p

Cheers

You are an excellent source - so thanks again!! Once I have my first NCL cruise under my belt I won't be quite so much a newbie.

Reposting from another thread:

OK you can bring your own wine and pay a corkage fee -or-

you can belly up to a bar or restaurant and have a glass or a half or full bottle served.

And then there is the VIVA VINO wine package.

I have reproduced the list from November 2013

In the blank spaces before the description of the wine and details I have

noted the full (750ml) bottle if purchased separately withOUT the package.

Some spaces are $xx because I could not find the exact bottle that one would

purchase in say a restaurant The figure shown is a close guess *

This more than ever should convince you of the significant savings by going with the package !

Do the math and remember to add the 15% gratuity

*****VIVA VINO*****

by Norwegian Cruise Line

Please list the number of

bottles for your selection

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

$28___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

$26___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

$30___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

$27___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

$xx $28*___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

$26___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

$29___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

$29___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

$29___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

$28___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

$33___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

$39___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

$31___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

$32___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

$xx $38* ___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

$36___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

$xx ??___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

$37___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado" categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

$44___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

$xx $53*___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

$xx $48*___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

$42___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

$40___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders. Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries

You are an excellent source - so thanks again!! Once I have my first NCL cruise under my belt I won't be quite so much a newbie.

You'll love your 1st NCL cruise. We've only been on 3 cruises but have really enjoyed them. And I admit to being a member of "W I N O S" Women In Need Of Sanity. :p

Enjoy :D

You'll love your 1st NCL cruise. ...

The vast majority of people love to cruise. I have learned that not EVERYBODY will love a certain cruise, or a certain show, or a certain vacation spot, or certain food.

Really, almost everyone loves to cruise. But some just don't love anything - sadly.

Here is a situation to view:

You are on one cruise and pay the corkage fee for the bottles that you brought

onboard.

You don't drink all the wine and because you have a cruise a few weeks later

you decide to take these with you on that cruise.

OK you have paid for the wine on the first cruise and the next cruise was not a

back to back where in essence you do not leave the ship with your bottles -

You did not request a refund on the unconsumed bottles which you plan

to bring on the next cruise.

So you board the next cruise with your bottles and show the wine police the

stickers paid from the previous cruise - NEW CHARGES or a pass ?

A cruise neighbor/friend posed this to me as he has 8 bottles with paid stickers

and says they are mine just hope there is no hassle in having to pay the corkage

fee twice.

Comments - remarks - anybody done this ?

Unconsumed wine!!!??? Shocking :p

Great question though. I would think' date=' if they have the stickers they should be a pass, however, unless it's the same ship, not sure it would pass muster.

Let's hope the experts know for sure. Good luck.[/quote']

Nope. Will not work. They also doublecheck your account to make sure the corkage fee was paid.

I just returned from a 12 day Med cruise. My group of 5 were "lucky" One of our excursions was in Florence at it was to a Tuscany castle which produced both olive oil and wine. We purchased several bottles of wine. Upon boarding the ship, the bottles were scanned by security and we were told to register the bottles at a nearby table near the elevator. It was so crowded at the table that we looked at each other and half the group ran up the stairs the other half onto the elevator. Since I had a Swiss army knife with the attached corkscrew, we opened the bottles in the cabin just prior to dinner. We utilized the cabin glass and brought the wine to dinner. The glasses were replaced daily by the steward. Only once, at a specialty restaurant, did the host inquire where we obtained the wine. Our response was that it was from another bar. The inquiry took place not because we had the wine, it was because the glass it was in was not appropriate for wine. The host offered to give us wine glasses. We did this for six nights.

I just returned from a 12 day Med cruise. My group of 5 were "lucky" One of our excursions was in Florence at it was to a Tuscany castle which produced both olive oil and wine. We purchased several bottles of wine. Upon boarding the ship, the bottles were scanned by security and we were told to register the bottles at a nearby table near the elevator. It was so crowded at the table that we looked at each other and half the group ran up the stairs the other half onto the elevator. Since I had a Swiss army knife with the attached corkscrew, we opened the bottles in the cabin just prior to dinner. We utilized the cabin glass and brought the wine to dinner. The glasses were replaced daily by the steward. Only once, at a specialty restaurant, did the host inquire where we obtained the wine. Our response was that it was from another bar. The inquiry took place not because we had the wine, it was because the glass it was in was not appropriate for wine. The host offered to give us wine glasses. We did this for six nights.

You were lucky.

Not that uncommon.

As to corkscrew, we have one in every travel bag, just in case.

Glasses are easy to get anywhere on the ship. Either ask, or buy a glass of wine and take the glass with you.