Herculaneum tour company recommendation

Vineyard View

My DH and I would like to book a private or semi-private tour to Herculaneum during the port day that we are in Naples. We would appreciate any tour company recommendations? We also would like to spend a little time in Naples and suggestions would be welcome. THank you

Just down the board would be a huge thread recommending the wonderful Rome in Limo. They operate in Naples as well as Rome.

Herculaneum will take 2, maybe three hours. Want to see some of the Amalfi Coast as well?

Edited by CruiserBruce

Rome in Lemo is the company? I will look into them for sure.

We have been to Amalfi coast and Capri a couple of times, as well as Pompeii. I would be cool with Amalfi again....but DH really wants to see Herc....

are you suggesting maybe Amalfi in the afternoon instead of Naples? We have always been a little leary of Naples, but have never been......

Alternatively, it's quite easy to visit Herculaneum on your own using the local train, the Circumvesuviana. It's about a 20-minute train ride, give or take and walkable to the ruins from the stop. There's a ton of into on these boards about the site if you're willing to dig a bit.

No need to be leery of Naples if you're interested in visiting the city. The Archaeological Museum is wonderful and makes a nice complement to a site like Herculaneum.

well that is an interesting idea cruisemom. we have used trains all over Italy and did not think to wonder if there was an easy one from the port to Herculaneum - guessing that it would also take us into Naples on return? I will research this idea. Thank you.

It is very easy to use the Circumvesuviana train line to both Herculaneum and Pompeii and very inexpensive and there is plenty of info on this board as well as on the internet.

You want station ERCOLANO SCAVI (Herculaneum excavations) and not the other Ercolano station. It is approx 1 mile downhill to the entrance and on the right side approx 2/3 down there is an information office (with wc's)

Remember to validate your train ticket before boarding the train each time otherwise you risk a fine.

Rome in Lemo is the company? I will look into them for sure.

We have been to Amalfi coast and Capri a couple of times, as well as Pompeii. I would be cool with Amalfi again....but DH really wants to see Herc....

are you suggesting maybe Amalfi in the afternoon instead of Naples? We have always been a little leary of Naples, but have never been......

Your are right to be leery of Naples. Watch and be mindful of your wallet and purses. That is why we are touring the Amalfi coast during our port stop in Naples.

Your are right to be leery of Naples. Watch and be mindful of your wallet and purses. That is why we are touring the Amalfi coast during our port stop in Naples.

No, no, no. As with any city, you just don't go into the bad sections or flash the cash. We were in Naples and had no problem.

Since the train sounds so easy, and we are familiar with traveling in Europe via train, could you return from Herculaneum via train into Naples getting off at a 'safe' stop near the museum, then probably cab it back to port? Or would you have to re-trace your steps on the return and make it into Naples from there?

CruiserBruce, noticed you are in Petaluma. We are Santa Rosa!

THanks everyone

Since the train sounds so easy, and we are familiar with traveling in Europe via train, could you return from Herculaneum via train into Naples getting off at a 'safe' stop near the museum, then probably cab it back to port? Or would you have to re-trace your steps on the return and make it into Naples from there?

Yes, it's quite easy. When you return to Naples on the Circumvesuviana, exit at the next to last stop (Garibaldi/Napoli Centrale), which is the main train station of Naples.

You'll transfer to the metro (follow signs for the Metropolitana) and take Linea 2 in the direction of Pozzuoli. Go just one stop and get off at Cavour. In this station, follow signs to "Museo” (it's a long walk, I never manage to do it the same way twice, but you end up at the exit that is close to the Archaeological Museum).

Going back to the ship you can get a taxi or walk. It's about a 30-minute walk and fairly pleasant, mostly down hill.

Edited by cruisemom42

I envy your extensive travel knowledge cruisemom42! Thank you AGAIN!! I will print this thread out and take with me.

I spent two weeks in Naples earier this year and a week in Sorrento two years prior. Clearly, I like that area!

We stayed on Amalfi coast for a week a few years ago, then another port visit. This will be our 3rd time - and would stay longer but for a ships's schedule!!

This is our first time to Herculaneum and Naples so we opted to explore here this time. Thanks again!

For Naples, as with anywhere you don't want to be pick-pocketed, do not carry a purse with valuables. Have your money and cards hidden inside your clothes (money belt, pocket, neck purse). Do not wear expensive watches or jewelry.

In Herculaneum you can hire a guide. It is good if a group of you can split the cost. You can also use an audio guide but I found the one at Herculaneum too long winded for the time we had.

Edited by maryann ns

My DH and I would like to book a private or semi-private tour to Herculaneum during the port day that we are in Naples. We would appreciate any tour company recommendations? We also would like to spend a little time in Naples and suggestions would be welcome. THank you

Hi...you do get around...if I'm not mistaken you're also on our May2, 2015 Viking Ocean cruise.....anyway, we took LimoService Naples last October for an Almalfi, Positano, Herc. pvt. tour...there were 3 couples, a driver and tour guide. Dealt with Roberto and had everything arraigned before hand...he was a pleasure to work with. If you need me, look back on the Viking roll call...I don't normally check this one.

Yes, it's quite easy. When you return to Naples on the Circumvesuviana, exit at the next to last stop (Garibaldi/Napoli Centrale), which is the main train station of Naples.

You'll transfer to the metro (follow signs for the Metropolitana) and take Linea 2 in the direction of Pozzuoli. Go just one stop and get off at Cavour. In this station, follow signs to "Museo” (it's a long walk, I never manage to do it the same way twice, but you end up at the exit that is close to the Archaeological Museum).

Going back to the ship you can get a taxi or walk. It's about a 30-minute walk and fairly pleasant, mostly down hill.

Any tips for taking the train directly back to the ship from Herculaneum? We'll be on the Regal Princess.

Any tips for taking the train directly back to the ship from Herculaneum? We'll be on the Regal Princess.

If you are using the train to get there from the ship, you simply need to reverse the steps. Nothing tricky about it. You take the train at Herculaneum back to Naples, to the end of the line (Porta Nolana station). You then take a tram or bus (or even a taxi) back to the port stop.

Assuming you are only going to Herculaneum, you'll need one U2 ticket each way per person. You might as well buy all the tickets you need at the kiosk near the tram/bus stop, across the busy street from the port. The U2 covers both the train and tram or bus ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Having done Pompeii on our own and again with Romeinlimo....there was no way to compare what we saw and learned with the guide. We used RIL and a guide for Herculaneum and loved it. We went there first in the early morning before the crowds and then on to Amalfi. Lovely day. I can't tell you how many tours that I have set up with RIL, but I have never been disappointed. I wish you well. Ciao, Alice

Hello. We'd like to go to Pompeii and Herculaneum, but no tours seem to do both, so the train looks like our best option. I just wondered how you buy the train tickets? Do you have go at Italian speaking at a booth, or is it done at a machine, and if so, are they easy to understand?

Thank you for your help :)

Hello. We'd like to go to Pompeii and Herculaneum, but no tours seem to do both, so the train looks like our best option. I just wondered how you buy the train tickets? Do you have go at Italian speaking at a booth, or is it done at a machine, and if so, are they easy to understand?

Thank you for your help :)

To use the train (since you want to go to both Herculaneum and Pompeii), you probably want to purchase your tickets at the kiosk just across the street and to the left (with the water behind you) of the port entrance. Then you can take the tram or bus to the train station (Porta Nolana) and get on the Circumvesuviana train.

They are very used to dealing with English-speaking tourists and you should have no problem purchasing your ticket. You'd want to ask for the U3 ticket (based on zone of travel), and I think it would make the most sense to get the 1-day ticket for 8,40 euro each. (You each need one, it is good for the entire day's travel.)

I suggest going to Pompeii (Pompei Scavi stop) first, as it's farther away, then you can stop at Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi) enroute back to Naples.