Cruising from Ft. Lauderdale. Suggestion for Hotel overnight?

bert425

Hi all,

New to Holland America line, so apologies if I'm asking silly questions.

We're now booked on the Noordam, sailing to the ABC Islands in November.

It's a family trip, booked by my Dad/Mom for us and my Brother/Sister-in-Law.

We're all flying down to Ft. Lauderdale from Texas, although only we will be coming from Austin.

The incoming flights seem to be a little tight, as I'm concerned about any delay might cause a big problem if we fly to FLA on the same day the cruise leaves (a Monday).

So I'm suggesting we all fly in Sunday night, have a nice evening in Ft. Lauderdale hotel, and then all head for the Ship together in the morning (something my Mom will like, since it's a family trip).

So I'm looking for an idea about which is a good place to stay overnight. Preferably near the airport (even onsite at airport maybe?).

I have no idea of the lay of the land in Ft. Lauderdale, but I do know that the Airport/Cruise Terminal are near each other. . so it would be good to stay close, and if we go out to dinner, we can just cab it.

My Dad would be fine with a Motel 6, or a Days Inn, but even a Holiday Inn or Marriott/Hampton level hotel would be fine, as it's just for 1 night prior to the cruise.

any suggestion would be appreciated, and I will pass along the info to my folks.

thanks!

bert

Bert..Take a look at this thread re several hotels in Fort Lauderdale:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070813

Post 2, 7 & 8 suggest the Radison which has a shuttle to take your family to the port.. No need for a cab..

Post 4 suggests Holiday Inn

Post 5 suggests comfort suites

If you read this thread, maybe they will give you an idea of the prices for all..

Hope you find one which will be good for your family.. You are making a wise decision to fly in the day before..

BTW you can read about many hotels in Fort Lauderdale if you look at the threads in the departure site:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We never stay overnight as we live about 4 hrs from the port..

Enjoy your cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

There are lots of good spots to stay. The airport is not an option for us but....

Why not stay where there are decent restaurants close by, decent breakfast and a nice area for a walk or even a smdige of shopping?

We like the Embassy suites on 17th street. Manager's reception and breakfast included, close to restaurants, Ross', Total Wine, Publix, etc.

Lots of discussion on the ports board for FLL.

By the way, IMO you are wise to fly in a day early:)

There's a Fairfield Inn in Dania Beach, about a mile from the airport and 2.5 or so from the port that is having a 48 hour sale right now, with rooms starting at $79/nt, but they are pre-pay and non-refundable 24 hours after booking. Cancellable start at $89.

http://www.marriott.com/search/findHotels.mi

Bert..Take a look at this thread re several hotels in Fort Lauderdale:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070813

Betty and Bert: The above link is for Port CANAVERAL hotels, NOT Port Everglades!

We never stay overnight as we live about 4 hrs from the port..

We live 3.5 hours away and do stay overnight whenever I have enough reward points for a free Courtyard or Fairfield Inn. It just gives us that much more slack in case of car troubles or an accident on the way down. :) Edited by jtl513

The port is within a stone's throw from the airport, and also close to the beach, so if you are searching for rooms, searching beachfront properties or near the airport will get you where you want to be. Although not cheap the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is very close to the port and you can watch the ships from your room.

Thanks everyone!

I've done some of the research based on y'all's suggestions and I'm seeing Comfort Inn near the dock, for ~$89/night.

so I sent that to my Dad, as he really likes Comfort Inns (don't ask me why, but it would only be for 1 night, so why quibble).

Yes, I also sent him the other suggestions, such as Fairfield.

and I told him y'all universally said it's a good idea to fly in the day before :)

thanks so much!

best,

bert

Betty and Bert: The above link is for Port CANAVERAL hotels, NOT Port Everglades!

yah. . i noticed that, but it gave me someplace to start from, so I appreciated the effort none-the-less :)

Edited by bert425

There's a Fairfield Inn in Dania Beach, about a mile from the airport and 2.5 or so from the port that is having a 48 hour sale right now, with rooms starting at $79/nt, but they are pre-pay and non-refundable 24 hours after booking. Cancellable start at $89.

http://www.marriott.com/search/findHotels.mi

Betty and Bert: The above link is for Port CANAVERAL hotels, NOT Port Everglades![/COLOR] Whoops...Thanks John...Sorry Bert..

We live 3.5 hours away and do stay overnight whenever I have enough reward points for a free Courtyard or Fairfield Inn. It just gives us that much more slack in case of car troubles or an accident on the way down. :)

Agree going over the night before is a good idea, but we actually rent a car & start out at 9: a.m. in case of an accident or car trouble..When we rent we make sure the car rental company will get to us within 2 hours in case of a problem..

Because we take the direct, nonstop flight on Southwest from Austin to Fort Lauderdale, we have flown in on the same day of our cruise, due to our schedule. But it is risky and if you can avoid it, like others have said, it's better to fly in a day before. In December, we are going to stay at the Hampton Inn by the port the night before. It looks pretty decent and we like Hilton Hotels. However I'm using points to stay, so that had a bit to do with the decision.

Sent by magic. Or mobile. Same thing.

Bert - I think you have enough hotel suggestions that you will find something good for one night. Please, take everyone's suggestion and fly in a day early. I won't fill up this space telling you stories of delayed and cancelled flights, bad weather, etc. Stuff really does happen, and missing a cruise, or having to "run to catch the ship" :eek: is no way to start a vacation.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Thanks everyone!

I've done some of the research based on y'all's suggestions and I'm seeing Comfort Inn near the dock, for ~$89/night.

so I sent that to my Dad, as he really likes Comfort Inns (don't ask me why, but it would only be for 1 night, so why quibble).

Yes, I also sent him the other suggestions, such as Fairfield.

and I told him y'all universally said it's a good idea to fly in the day before :)

thanks so much!

best,

bert

We have stayed there twice and will again in November. They have a free shuttle from the airport, just call them and they will come get you. Also they give you a nice breakfast. There is a CVS nearby in case you need anything and there is a good BBQ place a short walk away. The rooms are just basic but good enough for a nights stay. They also provide a shuttle to the ship for a fee, I think it was $6 pp.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Bert,

I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Just wanted to give you the heads up... not sure when in November you are traveling this way but November is the boat show in Ft. Lauderdale when getting a hotel room is very hard and very expensive so if you have not yet booked your reservation I suggest you do so sooner rather than later. Enjoy your trip!!! Maryjo

Hi Bert,

I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Just wanted to give you the heads up... not sure when in November you are traveling this way but November is the boat show in Ft. Lauderdale when getting a hotel room is very hard and very expensive so if you have not yet booked your reservation I suggest you do so sooner rather than later. Enjoy your trip!!! Maryjo

I second that. The Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show is October 30 - November 3, 2014. Expect hotels to be at a premium +/- 2 days.

Hampton Inn on State Rd. 84 is a decent hotel. They have a good free shuttle from the airport. Just use the free phone in the baggage area. They have an excellent, well organized shuttle to the cruise port. Used to be free, but I think it is $5 per person now. There is a small mall across the street with a Dollar Store and a Publix, where you can buy last minute items, including wine, if you don't want to take it on the plane. There are also a couple of restaurants for dinner.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place 17th Street Convention Center on our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, and were pleased. It is directly across from the Forum Shops (Total Wine, Publix), and there are nearby restaurants within walking distance. They have a free airport shuttle, and it was a very prompt pickup for us. They also offer a shuttle to the pier for a price, but we just took a cab. For 2, I think the cab was cheaper. The hotel is really close to the pier.

Staff very friendly. An "OK" complimentary breakfast (not great, but certainly acceptable). Room very clean and comfortable.

You can sometimes snag a good rate here if you keep checking.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place 17th Street Convention Center on our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, and were pleased. It is directly across from the Forum Shops (Total Wine, Publix), and there are nearby restaurants within walking distance. They have a free airport shuttle, and it was a very prompt pickup for us. They also offer a shuttle to the pier for a price, but we just took a cab. For 2, I think the cab was cheaper. The hotel is really close to the pier.

Staff very friendly. An "OK" complimentary breakfast (not great, but certainly acceptable). Room very clean and comfortable.

You can sometimes snag a good rate here if you keep checking.

I actually stayed there before my last cruise. I had a number of problems so I wasn't impressed. Posters do seem to like it.

I actually stayed there before my last cruise. I had a number of problems so I wasn't impressed. Posters do seem to like it.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place last March- had no problems, room was very clean, large and comfortable. This past January, we stayed at the Hampton in on Stirling- what a dump! Have stayed in Hampton inn's across the country and always enjoyed my stay- this one needs serious renovations. It is actually across from the two Hyatt hotels-

Staying at a decent pre-cruise hotel really get's your vacation off to a wonderful start! We never use the hotel shuttles as they are typically slow and crowded. They also might stop at every ship and your ship could be last. We take a private cab for about $15.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic