Is there an algorithm for when.....

....GTY rooms are assigned?

My GTY on Rhapsody took months.... (booked a Q and got an L) Have just upgraded an inside on Oasis to an OV Balcony and am obsessively checking to find out where and what (we embark in less than 8 weeks!) ..... I know it can be assigned at the pier.... just wondered if anyone has worked out if there is any correlation between date booked and assignment..... very excited as I upgraded the other leg of the B2B to an OVB..... both are paid upgrades and were extremely cheap.

Not in my experience. It has ranged from the next day after booking ( even prior to final payment ) to just prior to sail date, regardless of when the cruise was booked. We've always had an assignment prior to arriving at the pier. Also, we see no correlation between how long we have to wait, and the eventual assignment.

Good luck

M

....GTY rooms are assigned?

My GTY on Rhapsody took months.... (booked a Q and got an L) Have just upgraded an inside on Oasis to an OV Balcony and am obsessively checking to find out where and what (we embark in less than 8 weeks!) ..... I know it can be assigned at the pier.... just wondered if anyone has worked out if there is any correlation between date booked and assignment..... very excited as I upgraded the other leg of the B2B to an OVB..... both are paid upgrades and were extremely cheap.

I've never noticed any pattern Linda.

Someone on the roll call has had the eDocs email. With a GTY booking will I still get eDocs without a room assignment?

Good question, and I don't know the answer. However, if you do find out, please let us know.

Someone on the roll call has had the eDocs email. With a GTY booking will I still get eDocs without a room assignment?

Yes - I booked a GTY on Sunday, received GTY eDocs on Monday, was assigned stateroom on Tuesday and received updated eDocs today :)

Got mine on my MJ trip even had a luggage tag with blank room 3 and section. I never called for updated docs after my room number was assigned so they were not reissued. Edited by FLACRUISER99

• 2 weeks later...

Typical.

I go out for the day and my room is assigned.

I've managed to ascertain it is indeed an oceanview balcony but now can't check to see if there is a possibility of moving into the same room for both legs.

Managed to throw my TA an email and got his out of office reply! Currently stuck in a bus in heavy London traffic.

Typical.

I go out for the day and my room is assigned.

I've managed to ascertain it is indeed an oceanview balcony but now can't check to see if there is a possibility of moving into the same room for both legs.

Managed to throw my TA an email and got his out of office reply! Currently stuck in a bus in heavy London traffic.

I think that looks like a good cabin. Surrounded by cabins. I think the bed is by the balcony. Not far from aft stairs/elevator, so a quick flight down to entral park and Park Cafe. If you are D+, the CL is two flights up.

I realize I don't have a big enough post count to have any credibility, but I booked a guarantee that was not assigned until we got to check in.

After we checked in, and the porters tagged our luggage and took it, we were called back to the counter. Our cabin was reassigned.

Most people would freak that the luggage would be delivered to the wrong cabin. Not a problem! I just made repeated trips to that cabin and retrieved the bags as they arrived.

This happened at Tampa.

I realize I don't have a big enough post count to have any credibility, but I booked a guarantee that was not assigned until we got to check in.

After we checked in, and the porters tagged our luggage and took it, we were called back to the counter. Our cabin was reassigned.

Most people would freak that the luggage would be delivered to the wrong cabin. Not a problem! I just made repeated trips to that cabin and retrieved the bags as they arrived.

This happened at Tampa.

I know plenty of people who discount first time posters, especially if they post someting odd, controvertial or negative. That may be understandable.

With 925 posts, I hope that does not happen to you on this thread. Though fortunately not the most common outcome for gty bookings, your story seems credible enough to me. Good that you did not freak out about the luggage; rolling with it (pun intented) likely made for a better vacation than fussing. Did you like your cabin in the end?

It is a revenue management software program. Factors that are taken into consideration:

1. Percentage of late bookings

2. bookings by catagory

3. Ship's past sailing history

4. Port past sailing history

5. Specific time of year

6. Competitive response

None of these stand alone, and there are actually more factors. WHere did I come up with this info? i know someone who is with a travel industry software developemnt company and she is a pretty reliable source and she let's me sleep with her, her name? Wife

I booked a guarantee yesterday for the EN sailing in 2 weeks. I was assigned a cabin 4 hours later. The agent told me that there were 12 for sale and they would be gone within a couple of hours. I guess they were as it is not available today.

Just sticking my nose in to say I'm very impressed that you used the word algorithm.

Lol. Used to teach KS3 Maths.

DD #1 has moved to Cleveland this year..... beautiful part of the world.

So.

The GTY was turned into a D7. That's cruise 1.

Cruise 2 I have a D8.

D2's are now cheaper and there are at least 3 of them available for each cruise (as in the same room available for each cruise). What are the chances do you think of me asking and getting a switch so I can be in the same room each cruise?

Lol. Used to teach KS3 Maths.

DD #1 has moved to Cleveland this year..... beautiful part of the world.

So.

The GTY was turned into a D7. That's cruise 1.

Cruise 2 I have a D8.

D2's are now cheaper and there are at least 3 of them available for each cruise (as in the same room available for each cruise). What are the chances do you think of me asking and getting a switch so I can be in the same room each cruise?

if the D2 was a few dollars more than you have paid, I'd think you have a good shot. if it is less money, it may actually be harder to get it done. one of those oddities. worth asking, though.

Edited by Starry Eyes