Best month to sail Hawaii

vino100

"Best" in what way?

Some reading on the Hawaii board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

would reveal the "season" for these cruises is very late September to about May 1. Hawaiian weather varies very little, but as you live in California, you know the weather for those months here. Whale season is very popular in Hawaii...it runs mid December to early April.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We sailed in April, 2013, and we saw very few whales except for an occasional spout if that's important to you. However, this will vary from year to year just like the weather.

We saw lots of whales and dolphins from Ensendada to San Francisco on the way back, but we would have rather seen them in Hawaii.

We sailed in April, 2013, and we saw very few whales except for an occasional spout if that's important to you. However, this will vary from year to year just like the weather.

We saw lots of whales and dolphins from Ensendada to San Francisco on the way back, but we would have rather seen them in Hawaii.

Whale season decreases rapidly after April 1.

I think it's a crap shoot for sea day weather. Friends did it in February one year and had a brutal crossing. Took 6 days and they missed Hilo. We just did the one way in late April from Honolulu to Vancouver and it was like glass. Bit of rain one day but the seas were like a lake. We saw a couple of whales off Maui and then close to Vancouver. Nothing like what you'd see in Jan/Feb though.

Were on this year February Grand Princess to Hawaii. First 2 days at sea was cool out on the decks. Port of call to Hawaii, weather was in the mid 70's to 85's. Returning, it cool down. In Ensenada for a late arrival, it was in the lower 60's and windy.

Hey Keith- I tried to ask you on another thread, but that thread has gone to sleep. Where are you using Rome in Limo? Can I give you any advice on tours, drivers, etc, as we have used them in all their locations?

Sorry OP for a hijack!

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hi CruiserBruce. Thank you so very much for the offer. We are using them in Rome next Spring for the tour that they call Underground and Medieval Rome. If you have taken that one or have recommendations for a driver(s) we could request that would be great.

If it's easier to put this on e mail my e mail is kesworld AT aol DOT com

Just use @ in lieu of AT and . in lieu of DOT

Thanks,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
We have sailed this several times but from Los Angeles.

We have had some of our best weather in January and February.

Keith

Hi there - you mentioned the best weather are in Jan/Feb. Have you cruised to Hawaii in November? Not that we would change our plans but was just wondering what to expect during our Nov. trip :)

Thanks for your help!

Hi there - you mentioned the best weather are in Jan/Feb. Have you cruised to Hawaii in November? Not that we would change our plans but was just wondering what to expect during our Nov. trip :)

Thanks for your help!

Have been to Hawaii three times in November. As mentioned before, the weather doesn't change very much year around. Only a few degrees one way or the other.

Thanks for your help!

I agree with CruiserBruce.

I do like January and February though because it is colder in the continental USA so a nice time to get away and we always see lots of Whales that time of the year.

Keith

Have been to Hawaii three times in November. As mentioned before, the weather doesn't change very much year around. Only a few degrees one way or the other.

Thanks for your insight. Was the water rough to and from? I guess that's what am more concerned about, I do use the patch behind my ears but am trying not to use them as much :)

Keith1010 - Jan/Feb would be ideal but those are our busiest months prepping for our expo...perhaps some day :)

Good question! The only times we've been to Hawaii have been May/early June.

Any info on a cruise in late March/April would be appreciated. Not concerned about sea conditions for the crossings ... just how the weather is in the Hawaiian Islands.

LuLu

As mentioned frequently on this board, the seas off the coast of California can be a bit rough the first 48 hours or so, and the temps will be cooler. Same for the last two days returning to the West Coast. This is true 365 days per year.

Generally, things warm and smooth as you get closer to Hawaii. But seas can be rough anywhere, any time, and you must be prepared every day you are on a ship. Many would say this should be a calm time of year for seas in Hawaii. What do you think the hurricanes have done to the seas around Hawaii, and a good distance away?

Temps in Hawaii range from average highs in the mid 70s to mid 80s. Lows in the 60s. 365 days a year. A couple of years ago we were there in February, and the local news were screaming about record low temps, which was in the upper 50s.

Edited by CruiserBruce

As CruserBruce mentioned always plan on the first 24 to 48 hours being cool, windy and some rough seas. As you sail further west it will get warmer.

And on your return the last 24 to 48 hours will have cooler weather and potential for rough seas.

Always remember and I have done this trip many times that you just never know. It could be smooth the entire time, or a little rough or it could be rough most of the way.

And it could be rainy in Hawaii or sunny all day. Weather averages while nice are just averages.

I highly recommend this cruise. It has a nice mix of sea and port days.

Keith

Our last three cruises were the RTs from LA to Hawaii and all during the holidays. Not sure about from SF.

Weather and sea condition wise was a bit different among the three times. We actually had very smooth seas and warm weather all the way to the west coast on that first cruise. No rain the whole time on the ship or in the islands.

The other two times we had rain while on the way (a record number days of rain in Los Angeles leading up to the second cruise) and some rain in Hawaii (but sometimes it doesn't last long, and aside from Hilo a couple of years ago on Christmas Eve, when it was pouring, pretty light).

But plenty of whales off of Maui. Not kidding. In fact, Christmas Day, 2012, when we returned to the ship near Lahaina, there were a ton of whales around the ship.

and as far as sea days, if you're bored, you haven't read the Patter.

I was there on land trips in November and in late February. Weather tends to be pretty much the same. Be prepared for rain. Still all good, unless you're there during a hurricane (my friend and her daughter just got back from Honolulu so I'll have to see how it was for them).