Wine on Princess

Bustersmom

Ok please don't hate me! I do read the forums etc but it has been almost 4 yrs since my last princess cruise. I was able to slap a "luggage"tag on a box of 7 bottles of wine from Total Wine in Ft lauderdale and it was delivered to my cabin, much like the water and soda-are those days completely gone? Any insights are of course appreciated. It does sound like those days are gone, but then again, I am not sure? Thanks in advance!

Ok please don't hate me! I do read the forums etc but it has been almost 4 yrs since my last princess cruise. I was able to slap a "luggage"tag on a box of 7 bottles of wine from Total Wine in Ft lauderdale and it was delivered to my cabin, much like the water and soda-are those days completely gone? Any insights are of course appreciated. It does sound like those days are gone, but then again, I am not sure? Thanks in advance!

The wine limit is one bottle per passenger per room. If more the extra's will be charged a $15/bottle corkage fee.

You may bring 7 bottles however you will be subject to having 5 (2 passengers) of them charged $15 per bottle. Those with the fee already paid may be consumed anywhere on the ship including any dining room without an extra charge.

Each adult passenger may bring 1) 750ml per person per cruise. You can check your Cruise Personalizer & on luggage tags describing the wine procedure which began over a year ago. For wine in checked bags/box you may have go to the "naughty room" where you'd have to open your luggage for them to check the bottles.

How it's enforced can vary greatly & I just plan to pay the $15 fee for bottles exceeding the 1/passenger/cruise. If I'm not charged the fee that's a bonus if I drink it in my cabin but most of our wine is consumed in the MDR & charged $15 so whether they charge the fee upon boarding or in the dining room it doesn't change much for me.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I also used to do this but on 10 day cruises I took a case of wine (12 bottles) without any problem. Now they charge $15 for every bottle over the one/adult and it has to be carried on. We have two 6 bottle carriers with shoulder straps for this purpose. However it is not always enforced so be prepared to pay. For the bottles you did pay for, you can take them into the MDR without further payment but the 1 bottle/adult that was free you will be charged $15 to take it into the MDR or specialty restaurant.

thanks for the info! does sound like it is kind of hit and miss, so just prepare for the $15. I do not take to MDR just like for balcony etc, again many thanks!

Hopefully you'll get lucky & not be accessed a fee for wine to enjoy in your cabin.

I might take a couple of bottles of champagne for formal nights. I'm happy to pay the fee but have a question or two please.

Can we take them to the MDR in advance or are we expected to carry them in? Or do we ask our cabin steward and give him our table number?

Thanks,

Pj

I would keep them iced in the cabin and bring them down to the MDR to be opened at the table.

Over the years, I have found that Princess has been very consistant with their policies. We typically bring two bottles of wine at boarding for cabin use. If we are visiting a wine growing port, I will usually purchase a local table wine in that country and bring it on board. We have never been asked to pay a fee for that local wine. We have been told by another line (Celebrity) that they will definitely "store" our local wine for us if we bring it on board. Princess' policy seems to be more adult. Part of the experience of being in Sicily is to try their Nero d'Avola wine and I appreciate Princess allowing me to do so. Having said that, I should add that we do not try to take advantage and bring multiple bottles. Just the one is sufficient. We will typically purchse our MDR wine from the Princess wine selection at the table.

I would keep them iced in the cabin and bring them down to the MDR to be opened at the table.

Over the years, I have found that Princess has been very consistant with their policies. We typically bring two bottles of wine at boarding for cabin use. If we are visiting a wine growing port, I will usually purchase a local table wine in that country and bring it on board. We have never been asked to pay a fee for that local wine. We have been told by another line (Celebrity) that they will definitely "store" our local wine for us if we bring it on board. Princess' policy seems to be more adult. Part of the experience of being in Sicily is to try their Nero d'Avola wine and I appreciate Princess allowing me to do so. Having said that, I should add that we do not try to take advantage and bring multiple bottles. Just the one is sufficient. We will typically purchse our MDR wine from the Princess wine selection at the table.

Bringing wine from ports of call has been asked on the Princess Facebook site & they also said they would store wine you want to bring home without a fee and return it to you the end of the cruise. Thankfully that has never been enforced on my cruises including for wine we plan to consume in our cabin or to take to a dining room to pay the $15 corkage fee. Princess does seem to be more lenient in Europe where there are so many great wine producing regions and we want to enjoy it on the ship. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Exactly! Hoping that will be the case next time! again many thanks for the updates on this policy. It was so easy a few years ago but things are always changing, darn it! Ha!

Right! We brought a case on in FLL two years ago too! We put a luggage tag on it and dropped it off with our luggage. When we brought a bottle to the dining room, they charged the corkage fee and if we drank in the cabin, of course we didn't pay.

It seems to me that it wasn't really necessary to change it and they now have to hire additional people, at each port, to monitor when folks carry it on. It was so easy to just check it and pay as you used it. :o

Bringing wine from ports of call has been asked on the Princess Facebook site & they also said they would store wine you want to bring home without a fee and return it to you the end of the cruise. Thankfully that has never been enforced on my cruises including for wine we plan to consume in our cabin or to take to a dining room to pay the $15 corkage fee. Princess does seem to be more lenient in Europe where there are so many great wine producing regions and we want to enjoy it on the ship. :)

When we did our Med cruise, we bought two bottles at each port..usually a red and a sparkling and carried them on the ship without any problem. I loved being able to try the local wines and most of them were so good! We started out in Venice and bought about 4-5 bottle to take onboard before we left Venice.

I think this time, we will just pre-order a few bottles, and then when we get to Hawaii, maybe purchase a few more from Costco and take them on and pay the corkage for when we take them to the dining room.

I don't imagine the South Pacific is know for their wine (unless I am mistaken), so whatever else we drink, I guess will be ordered off the menu or we will buy one of the wine packages....decisions decisions!! LOL!

When we did our Med cruise, we bought two bottles at each port..usually a red and a sparkling and carried them on the ship without any problem. I loved being able to try the local wines and most of them were so good! We started out in Venice and bought about 4-5 bottle to take onboard before we left Venice.

I think this time, we will just pre-order a few bottles, and then when we get to Hawaii, maybe purchase a few more from Costco and take them on and pay the corkage for when we take them to the dining room.

I don't imagine the South Pacific is know for their wine (unless I am mistaken), so whatever else we drink, I guess will be ordered off the menu or we will buy one of the wine packages....decisions decisions!! LOL!

With your great outlook I'm sure that you'll 'wine' your way across the Pacific without any problems. :p Costco is where we buy most of our wine when we're in the Islands.

We also enjoyed bringing wine onboard in the Med & appreciate that Princess didn't charge corkage for bottles we enjoyed in our cabin & we paid corkage for wine we enjoyed in the dining room...just like the "good old days"! ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

With your great outlook I'm sure that you'll 'wine' your way across the Pacific without any problems. :p Costco is where we buy most of our wine when we're in the Islands.

We also enjoyed bringing wine onboard in the Med & appreciate that Princess didn't charge corkage for bottles we enjoyed in our cabin & we paid corkage for wine we enjoyed in the dining room...just like the "good old days"! ;)

Hi Astro-Flyer. Did you deliver your wine prior to dining or did you have to carry it in?

Hi Astro-Flyer. Did you deliver your wine prior to dining or did you have to carry it in?

We bring red wine for dinner & if you have chilled wine you could bring it cold from your cabin and they will put it in a bucket of ice for you.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We bring red wine for dinner & if you have chilled wine you could bring it cold from your cabin and they will put it in a bucket of ice for you.

Thanks for the info. However I'm not sure my husband would want to walk to the restaurant carrying a bottle.

Thanks for the info. However I'm not sure my husband would want to walk to the restaurant carrying a bottle.

I completely understand how he feels & even though it's allowed I conceal it as much as possible. :o

Do you have a purse you could use? ;)

It seems to me that it wasn't really necessary to change it and they now have to hire additional people, at each port, to monitor when folks carry it on. It was so easy to just check it and pay as you used it. :o

I'm not sure they've hired any new people....they've just assigned some of the assist waiters & others to collect the money.

I completely understand how he feels & even though it's allowed I conceal it as much as possible. :o

Do you have a purse you could use? ;)

Good idea but I tend not to use large bags in the evening x

There is nothing wrong with carrying a bottle of wine into a restaurant, it's done all the time both on cruises and in land based restaurants.

There are neoprene-type bags that you can use to carry the bottle or there are even wine purses if you want to pack one of those to use for your wine.

http://sassyladiesfavoritethings.com/wine-purse-tan-birmingham.html

I did not mind "schlepping" my bottles of wine to the dining room in the evening. That's the word someone used on the Celebrity board to describe it. He made it sound so lower class. Of course I'd much rather sail on Princess than to have the snooty attitude of some X passengers.

• 1 month later...

Love love love Total Wine in FFL. Their wine manager is great at helping you pick based on your tastes-plus he stays under your price point.