Yikes!!! We are booked on the sun

gladimhere

and the reviews are horrible.Any info good or bad regarding this ship would be greatly appreciated,

Ask yourself this ... Do you like to cruise or do you prefer Las Vegas on water ? Las Vegas on water She is not . A classic cruise ship She is ...

Enjoy Her while you can .. Good luck ;)

I think the OP just likes to look for the negative in everything...

Thank you so much reading review I was getting nervous.My mom was here for Christmas and I was telling her about some of the negative stuff I read.She said for me not to worry we will have a great time cause its what You make of it.I think Im really nervous for her she never travels this will be her second time on plane and for her its quite a bit of money.So reading your post made me feel better for talking her into it/.

The Sun is not my favorite NCL ship - it is older, a little worn, and does not have the modern feel that the newer ships have.

That said, we enjoyed our Baltic cruise a few years ago, and will be back on the Sun for our SA cruise. For me, it's not just the ship, but the itinerary and the price. For someone used to sailing on newer, more bells and whistles cruises, then the Sun might be a big disappointment. But if you want a smaller, easy to navigate, more "traditional" freestyle cruise, the Sun works on that level.

The Sun is not my favorite NCL ship - it is older, a little worn, and does not have the modern feel that the newer ships have.

That said, we enjoyed our Baltic cruise a few years ago, and will be back on the Sun for our SA cruise. For me, it's not just the ship, but the itinerary and the price. For someone used to sailing on newer, more bells and whistles cruises, then the Sun might be a big disappointment. But if you want a smaller, easy to navigate, more "traditional" freestyle cruise, the Sun works on that level.

I believe that says it nicely. It says that there is something in the NCL fleet for everyone....at least for now. However, you need to choose your ship accordingly...what do you want from your cruise. If you don't, it isn't really the ship that is "horrible", but in most cases your disappointment in what "on board" lifestyle that particular ship did not offer your expectations. Do your research first. Or..like us...there is no such thing as a bad ship or a bad cruise, just some more fantastic than others in giving us the atmosphere that we enjoy.

I believe that says it nicely. It says that there is something in the NCL fleet for everyone....at least for now. However, you need to choose your ship accordingly...what do you want from your cruise. If you don't, it isn't really the ship that is "horrible", but in most cases your disappointment in what "on board" lifestyle that particular ship did not offer your expectations. Do your research first. Or..like us...there is no such thing as a bad ship or a bad cruise, just some more fantastic than others in giving us the atmosphere that we enjoy.

I agree with this entirely

I think the OP just likes to look for the negative in everything...

not sure but christmas time sounds like a carnival cruise and no when i read negative stuff i check with board because people have helped me make descions

Ask yourself this ... Do you like to cruise or do you prefer Las Vegas on water ? Las Vegas on water She is not . A classic cruise ship She is ...

Enjoy Her while you can .. Good luck ;)

was actually in vegas two weeks ago and no the whole time i was thinking cruising is so much better

I don't know where you are getting all the "horrible" reviews. She had tons of excellent reviews, with her being many folks favorite ship. She is a smaller, more relaxed ship. But that is what we like about her. She and the Pearl are our favorites. If you are looking for fun, fun, fun, try the Getaway. We just sailed her and thought she was very nice. What is so horrible about the Sun that you have been reading about? Specifics? Yikes!!!! Wish we were on the Sun right now! Oh yea....we will be in November..for our 4th cruise on her.
on member reviews most recent almost all bad

small ship and i got a fabulous price reviews werent bad when i looked then went on later and recent ones were i didnt research as much as i should because i knew i had to change date and free third and fourth guest offer came up for certain cruises and thanks for all the info and it make me feel bad that some people think im a complainer wasnt trying to offend just looking for input

Just got back last Monday and had one of our best cruises ever! The Cruise Director staff was outstanding, servers in MDR smiled a lot, made us feel welcome. Just like magic our cabin was spotlessly clean every morning and evening. Ate most meals in the MDR, even had surf n' turf with lobster tails one night, and we were quite satisfied. We had balcony cabin, thought the size was as good as any we've been in. The push for photos, Bingo and pull tabs was low key, not pushy. Last sea day included a crew talent show, I highly recommend. I honestly can't think of a thing to complain about.

:D

small ship and i got a fabulous price reviews werent bad when i looked then went on later and recent ones were i didnt research as much as i should because i knew i had to change date and free third and fourth guest offer came up for certain cruises and thanks for all the info and it make me feel bad that some people think im a complainer wasnt trying to offend just looking for input

OP, I wasn't trying to be nasty or negative and I'm sorry if you took it that way. I really do hope you have a wonderful cruise. My concern really was that you wanted reassurance for all of your decisions and I know it takes a lot of reading to be confident in making a choice when first coming over to NCL. There are, after all, a lot of cruises and cruise lines to choose from. Enjoy your cruise and the wonderful time out of the kitchen, LOL. :p:p

Just got back last Monday and had one of our best cruises ever! The Cruise Director staff was outstanding, servers in MDR smiled a lot, made us feel welcome. Just like magic our cabin was spotlessly clean every morning and evening. Ate most meals in the MDR, even had surf n' turf with lobster tails one night, and we were quite satisfied. We had balcony cabin, thought the size was as good as any we've been in. The push for photos, Bingo and pull tabs was low key, not pushy. Last sea day included a crew talent show, I highly recommend. I honestly can't think of a thing to complain about.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. Every time I read that someone has had a great/good cruise on the Sun, it makes me want mine NOW!! more than ever :D Thanks for reporting back with such a positive outlook. :D

I checked the Sun's reviews before I booked my upcoming September cruise. I booked in November 2013. Reviews looked pretty good then, but in OP's defense, there have been some not-so-wonderful reviews lately. That being said, there are so very many of you who have stated that she is "your favorite NCL ship". So I am not sweating it...some people are just plain "hard to please". I have faith that, despite this being my first NCL cruise, the Sun and her staff will deliver!

Yay ! I'm glad you had a great time. The OP is right, there have been a lot of terrible reviews in the CC review section just lately, but you can't please all of the people of the time, and from all the wonderful reviews and the loyal patrons of the Sun I'm sure we'll all have a wonderful time :D

I said this on another recent Sun thread, of which the many comments were very positive, and I think I'll say it again here.

I think of the Sun like this. When you board, she says, "welcome aboard. Just relax, have a drink, lie back by the pool, read a book, eat a relaxing meal, sleep in late if you wish, just enjoy the relaxed, non busy atmosphere." I just don't consider the Sun as an "exciting, fun, fun, fun, lets do something" ship. And the Sun atmosphere for the two of us is perfect. We recently sailed on the Getaway. Wonderful ship, beautiful, great crew, and lots...lots...lots to do constantly. But it was too much for us. It might be what you are looking for however.

I'm like the other reply, NCL don't go big ship only. We like the smaller ones better....for what we enjoy about a cruise.

That's our kinda ship. Relax unwind and the cruise us the vacation, not doing "stuff"! ;)

;) All this negative talk has convinced me to book a cruise on the Sun! Being the risk adverse aussie that I am, I thought I'd play it safe and book a 31 day-er on the other side of the pond travelling through a bunch of countries where english is not the national language :D Cannot wait! LOL!!!

and the reviews are horrible.Any info good or bad regarding this ship would be greatly appreciated,

Where are you getting the idea the reviews are horrible? I just checked; last 2 months: 8 reviews with 4 to 6 stars: 3 with 3 stars and 5 with less than 3; sounds to me like more positives than negatives. A couple of the negative reviews dealt somewhat with bad weather limiting access to the glaciers, etc. At least that influenced the reviews. Others pretty much based negative reviews on food. I can't imagine anyone sailing for the food alone. Add to that, after 30 cruises, I have yet to be on a ship that doesn't have edible food or better. Some cruise lines have better food than others. One of the negative reviews based hers on Holland America 5 years ago compared to the Sun this year. Food overall has gone down some in the past 5 years, part of this is due to increase in food costs. We were on the Sun in December, I am considered a blue ribbon cook, thus I have some idea of good food. We had no serious complaints.

Stop looking for the negative and try reading the positive. You will be a lot happier. If you go with the attitude, it is going to be horrible, it will be.

I think part of the problem of some negative reviews--and some of the comments here--is that people are so inured to cruise ship glitz (virtually every new ship online since 2005 or so) that an older lady like the Sun gets slammed.

Glitz and WOW mean absolutely nothing to us. We cruise to relax, but more importantly, to travel the world. Get us there safely and in comfort and we have no need nor desire for pizzazz. We totally dislike Vegas, too, so I guess it is in our DNA

:)

30+ days on Sun with 20 days booked.

I think part of the problem of some negative reviews--and some of the comments here--is that people are so inured to cruise ship glitz (virtually every new ship online since 2005 or so) that an older lady like the Sun gets slammed.

Glitz and WOW mean absolutely nothing to us. We cruise to relax, but more importantly, to travel the world. Get us there safely and in comfort and we have no need nor desire for pizzazz. We totally dislike Vegas, too, so I guess it is in our DNA

:)

30+ days on Sun with 20 days booked.

Well I like Vegas for lots of reasons, but glitz and glamour part gets tiresome after a period of time and yes, you are right about the Sun. For people look for glitz try newer mega ships, or stick with Carnival. For good service, nice cabins and good entertainment you really can't beat the Sun. I prefer the older ships and the size of the Sun is perfect for us: big enough to have choices, small enough to feel good.