What do you do on your balcony ?

Adayatatime

I like to get a balcony so I can have some space in case I get annoyed with my travel partner and don't want the crowds of the cruise ship. 7 days is a long time to spend with just one person, no matter how much you like them. I use it as an escape. I'm sure they need an escape from me too:)

Edited by Siora7777

Our first and only cruise to date was an aft balcony. The first night my daughter and I were laying in the two loungers in our jammies just relaxing before bed. We watched not one, but two shooting stars while listening to the ocean. It was the first time that week I said "I'm in paradise". I spent at least an hour out there with a drink every night before bed. It was heaven.

I think the cruise lines shoot those stars on purpose to hook you. ;)

Our next cruise will be in a promenade room so I'm interested to see how much the balcony realllly matters to me.

Edited by SMN73

What I envisage if I get my way and upgrade, is coming back pre-dinner, and sailing away into the sunset, just watching, wine in hand, with DH.

Whilst DD is creating chaos in the bedroom getting ready, we can pretend our cabin is tidy and tranquil.

Also middle of the night.

Do you need to keep the balcony door closed throughout the night? Heard somewhere is is necessary for everyone's air conditioning to work.

What I envisage if I get my way and upgrade, is coming back pre-dinner, and sailing away into the sunset, just watching, wine in hand, with DH.

Whilst DD is creating chaos in the bedroom getting ready, we can pretend our cabin is tidy and tranquil.

Do you need to keep the balcony door closed throughout the night? Heard somewhere is is necessary for everyone's air conditioning to work.

Yes, many ships require the sliding door to be closed for the air conditioning to work.

I have attempted to keep the door open so I could hear the ocean while in bed. In reality all it did was make the room uncomfortably humid causing the door to get closed. I never did it again. Maybe it would work somewhere but not down in the Caribbean.

We got it on while in port at cozumel, we had an aft balcony and there was no other ship along side. Was going great until a worker basically walked right up to us, there was a catwalk above the aft lifeboats. My girl is cool, we dashed inside and picked up where we left off.

Otherwise we eat breakfast every day outside and it's wonderful.

Edited by krisko

I love to read and relax. One time I went out on my balcony and became annoyed because the room next to mine thought it would be a nice balcony experience to leave their balcony doors open 24/7 and blast their TV. There was no relaxing on balcony on that cruise.

What do you love about your balcony in your cabin? When do you most appreciate it?

Or have you had a balcony in the past and "downgraded" in price to spend the extra on other things?

We either book a balcony or junior suite and I doubt if I could ever go back to a cabin w/o. We just did 17 nights on a trans-Atlantic and when the weather was good we'd sit outside and watch the ocean go by. I also hand washed my unmentionables and hung them on the balcony to dry. Our daughter was in the cabin next door so we'd visit at the railing while crossing the ocean! We loved to watch the ship coming into port (if we were up early enough) and every morning the first I would do is take a picture off the balcony of the ocean (or port) to prove to everyone that crossing the Atlantic wasn't as bad as they kept telling me it would be! :)

Using the jacuzzi type tub, especially at night when the moon is full and shining on the water as the ship slips along. One of my wifes favorite things to do is go out there late to just enjoy the hot water and tranquility of the space. Late evenings are our time since we let the rest of the family have the balcony all day and most of the night.

We also enjoy the kids of all ages bringing their new acquaintances onto the large balcony to talk or play music while taking turns in the jacuzzi. They love the privacy of their own area with the ability to still have large numbers on the balcony at the same time. It reminds us of having neighborhood kids in the house at all hours and the fun they are all having.

I love to watch the ship throw lines in the morning and pull them when we sailaway. I often wake specifically to watch. I like to read, watch the waves, nap, relax and breath the clean sea air. DH used to love doing crossword puzzles, read, enjoy a beverage, snack, nap, rest.......

We have stayed in inside, oceanviews, and balconies. It all depends on the cruise, who is with us, and our budget for that vacation. What I love about balconies is going out there to read on my tablet while soaking in some warmth (DH keeps are room freezing) and listening to the ocean....better scratch that. Every time I head out their I intend to read my tablet. I end up staring at the ocean and then falling asleep:o.

I always enjoy my balcony. I have never cruised without out one. First place I visit in the morning, and last place I visit at night. I have even been known to wake up in the middle of the night, sneak out onto the balcony for a few moments, then hop back into bed. I keep my curtains open at night :eek:, and wake up several times a night to a beautiful ocean view. Also, can get some great early morning pictures of a sun rise if sailing in the right direction, while still wearing my pj's. Enjoy breakfast and lunch on the balcony on sea days. Enjoy watching the ship arrive or a a port. Having a balcony view of the ocean helps ease the pain of packing for the trip home .

We've only cruised twice - once with balcony once inside - definitely preferred balcony. I never thought to leave curtains open at night other than a tiny bit so we can see daylight creep in. I'm going to try this -I'm up and down all night so I might as well enjoy the beautiful view and sunrise. Thanks for the tip :D

Reading

Napping

Watching the world slip away as we leave the pier

Watching the docking process arriving in port

Looking at the stars at night, other ships and islands during the day (always bring binoculars!)

Dolphin and Flying Fish watching, especially with fishing birds flying along beside us diving into the water trying to catch said fish. Never seen whales but have also seen Turtles coming into or out of ports, seals on rocks and once a large swordfish, swimming near the surface along side the ship, wasn't there for long, couldnt get a pic but still it was an amazing thing to see.

I don't know if i can cruise without a balcony, I love them.

Edited by p_liddy

We have only had balconies. I don't think I'll ever book an inside. I like watching as we sail into and out of port. While in port I like to sit and watch what's happening on land. One of my favorite afternoons was spent on the balcony, listening to Bob Marley Legend blaring from the beach bar on a continuous loop in Turks and Caicos, watching planes taking off and landing at the airport and watching a dolphin swimming around near the pier. In St. Thomas I like looking at all the boats anchored in the harbor and marina and watching the float planes landing and taking off. It's fun to watch the pier runners making it back to the ship, just in time, sometimes obviously very drunk. At sea I like to sit with my ipod, a book, and binoculars, relaxing and watching the world go by. I enjoy seeing other ships at sea. At night, I like to listen to the waves and watch for the lights of islands and other ships on the horizon. In Alaska, I like to just sit and watch the scenery. I've seen lots of whales, some very close to the ship. It's all very tranquil.

Or have you had a balcony in the past and "downgraded" in price to spend the extra on other things?

We've had balconies in the past & never got enough use out of them to justify the extra costs.

When outside I prefer to lay out in direct sun. You can't lay out on these tiny balconies. You can only sit up. There's rarely direct sun.

Friends have sailed in the best cabins on the ship. Now those balconies I could appreciate but we don't gamble enough to get comped & I'm not about to pay the listed prices for those cabins. Besides, if you don't use them, which means isolating yourself from the rest of the ship, they aren't worth it. Being around people & liveliness is more important to us.

We also mostly cruise from NYC so we spend at least 2 full days when you can't use the balcony. At 20+ knots in cold climates, the balcony doors don't seal to my satisfaction; they whistle & kept me awake on those 4 nights when we were sailing fast. It was VERY annoying.

To us the best value is an OV guarantee cabin. I would much rather spend the cost difference which is usually about $500 total on another trip; in the bar; on a cool excursion