This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

I would say Bunker C diesel fuel smoke is 10 times worse than cigar smoke. But with regard to a comparison between cigarette and cigar (or pipe or cannabis) smoke and/or between engine exhaust and any form of tobacco smoke, the relative "worseness" is totally subjective and not capable of measurement.

I happen to like the aroma of many pipe tobaccos and a few, not many, cigars, but I have no idea whether the second hand smoke is more or less dangerous. I just know I don't like the diesel exhaust fumes at all. That's why we book forward veranda cabins whenever we can.

Bunker C diesel fule is filthy and cannot be used on land, yet we allow it to be used in shipping? The harmful health affects of this fuel are very real.

I am more concerned with the air quality while on board of the ships than second hand smoke. Just think of all the off gassing from the industrial solvents that are used to protect the ship, the marine paint that is constantly applied while at port, the plastics that are in the cabins, the nylon carpeting, VOCs, the industrial cleaners that are used to sanitize and clean the cabins, the harsh chemicals used to launder the bedding, visible mould in some washrooms, formaldehyde from the pressed wood used to make furniture...

I have read that the air quality in the average home is six times more polluted than the air outside. I wonder what the number is for the average cruise ship cabin?

Carnival estimated that a bit over 10% of their passengers are smokers.

Remember the general population counts a lot of poor people. The poor and uneducated smoke far more than people with money/education. The statistics are pretty clear on that.

You don't run into a lot of poor folks on HAL -- or any cruise ship for that matter.

Do what the rest of the industry has already done, and ban balcony smoking... problem solved ;)

Anyone who really thinks that isn't coming to HAL is in denile

So HAL should ban smoking because you don't like it? Interesting. Some people hate drunks, so based on your theory HAL should ban alcohol on their ships.

Solves problem for the people on the balcony, not for the rest of us. I am fine with the amount of smoking on the outside decks of HAL. Very easy for me to avoid it, now take away balcony smoking and more smokers are going to go to those outside areas, who knows maybe they will even create more outside areas. Now I will have more areas on the ship that I will have to avoid. Sorry but if you book a balcony on HAL knowing the policy, like many on here do, you are taking a gamble, not one I would make with my money, but to each their own.

I cruise princess often. They do not allow balcony smoking. I've never noticed any more smokers in the outside area of the ship or anything more smokey than usual. This argument is often used but it doesn't hold any water. If you have facts to back this up I'd love to hear them.

I cruise princess often. They do not allow balcony smoking. I've never noticed any more smokers in the outside area of the ship or anything more smokey than usual. This argument is often used but it doesn't hold any water. If you have facts to back this up I'd love to hear them.

So because you haven't noticed it, it doesn't happen, silly me. Where do you suppose they will go. Maybe your Princess ones have all gone to HAL. The times I have had a balcony in past, I haven't been bothered by smokers, but I surely don't think that others haven't been bothered by it. Sorry, the I haven't noticed it argument doesn't hold any water. When/if HAL, the last major cruise line to allow balcony smoking, bans it then we will see what happens. I surely don't believe the smokers will vanish as if sprinkled with fairy dust.....

So because you haven't noticed it, it doesn't happen, silly me. Where do you suppose they will go. Maybe your Princess ones have all gone to HAL. The times I have had a balcony in past, I haven't been bothered by smokers, but I surely don't think that others haven't been bothered by it. Sorry, the I haven't noticed it argument doesn't hold any water. When/if HAL, the last major cruise line to allow balcony smoking, bans it then we will see what happens. I surely don't believe the smokers will vanish as if sprinkled with fairy dust.....

I have not read one post on the princess board, nope not even one, that says there are more smokers congregating outside. Perhaps you could tell me otherwise since you only seem to follow smoking threads and get very angry with a few isolated posters.

I have not read one post on the princess board, nope not even one, that says there are more smokers congregating outside. Perhaps you could tell me otherwise since you only seem to follow smoking threads and get very angry with a few isolated posters.

CC is a minuscule portion of cruisers and the option for smokers to come to HAL, to smoke away on the balconies still exists, and it would appear they are doing so. I stated my opinion as to what I think will happen if they ban balcony smoking, just like my thoughts about where the smokers would go if the banned in-room smoking. You don't like my opinion, great, but to think I am angry :rolleyes: is laughable.

So HAL should ban smoking because you don't like it? Interesting. Some people hate drunks, so based on your theory HAL should ban alcohol on their ships.

Yup! It was me, I'm the reason all of the other majors have banned balcony smoking. :rolleyes:

Carnival estimated that a bit over 10% of their passengers are smokers.

Remember the general population counts a lot of poor people. The poor and uneducated smoke far more than people with money/education. The statistics are pretty clear on that.

You don't run into a lot of poor folks on HAL -- or any cruise ship for that matter.

Do what the rest of the industry has already done, and ban balcony smoking... problem solved ;)

Anyone who really thinks that isn't coming to HAL is in denile

Good point cruzbuds. In order for quantitative data be useful in this context the demographics need to include smoker ages within income levels, as the poor in society generally smoke a lot more than the affluent. cbr663 also makes a good point, in that 28.4% of smokers are over 45 and that the mean age of guests on HAL's cruise ships easily fall above that age level.

However, I suspicion that the percentage of smokers over 45 who fall into the well heeled category (which most of us have to admit comprises the bulk of guests on board as well) is a lot less than reflected by data for the over 45 public at large.

As far as stack smoke. Yes it can be irritating, however we hardly ever get a whiff of it so it is pretty much a non-problem for us. Most lines are careful when they blow the stacks to make sure the wind drift is favorable. What I dislike a lot more are odors from the septic systems getting into the passage ways and cabin balconies.

Reported by who? CC boards?

See post #694 in this thread where Sow There posted this link:

See the link for the current CDC statistics. (18.1% of all over 18 are smokers.) Link: CDC Smoking Stats

<snip>

I would say Bunker C diesel fuel smoke is 10 times worse than cigar smoke. But with regard to a comparison between cigarette and cigar (or pipe or cannabis) smoke and/or between engine exhaust and any form of tobacco smoke, the relative "worseness" is totally subjective and not capable of measurement.

I happen to like the aroma of many pipe tobaccos and a few, not many, cigars, but I have no idea whether the second hand smoke is more or less dangerous. I just know I don't like the diesel exhaust fumes at all. That's why we book forward veranda cabins whenever we can.

I didn't say more dangerous the smell is stronger than cigarettes. Cannabis has a stronger smell then cigarettes . Some pipes have a decent aroma. Have not noticed any diesel fumes on balconies except in Athens when a ferry loaded with diesels all started as the were leaving the ferry. Not an expert just know what smells are bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So it's double of what you said.

Nooo, I said under 20%.

Sow There said 18.1 %. :rolleyes: :D

sail7seas

No news flash.

Were the problem solved that simply.........

There aren't enough smokers left in the adult North American population (which populate the vast majority of mass market cruise lines) to make one side of ship smoking viable. It is under 20% last I heard.

You keep saying "Problem Solved" and I wish you were correct but you need to keep thinking about it. You just might find a solution but you haven't yet.

Edited by sail7seas

Nooo, I said under 20%.

Sow There said 18.1 %. :rolleyes: :D

Actually it was the US Gov't Center for Disease Control, not me, that said 18.1% which validates Sail's "under 20%" figure. There's no reason to question the CDC's report.

Here's the link to the CDC numbers along with more detail demographic information.

As Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, (D-NY) said, "everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Just got off the Seven Seas Mariner 5 weeks ago. 65 year olds were the "kids".

Reminds me of the time we first boarded HAL ship a few years ago when my wife commented, "boy, everyone here is old!" I decided it was not a good idea to respond by suggesting she look in a mirror. (I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.)

Reminds me of the time we first boarded HAL ship a few years ago when my wife commented, "boy, everyone here is old!" I decided it was not a good idea to respond by suggesting she look in a mirror. (I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.)

Now THAT was wise;)

Solves problem for the people on the balcony, not for the rest of us. I am fine with the amount of smoking on the outside decks of HAL. Very easy for me to avoid it, now take away balcony smoking and more smokers are going to go to those outside areas, who knows maybe they will even create more outside areas. Now I will have more areas on the ship that I will have to avoid. Sorry but if you book a balcony on HAL knowing the policy, like many on here do, you are taking a gamble, not one I would make with my money, but to each their own.

While I know I am taking the chance of not being able to enjoy my balcony because of a neighboring smoker, I would prefer they prohibit it and open more spaces on the ship for smokers. It is easier to avoid those areas (and there doesn't have to be a lot of them) than having to suck it up on my balcony. Yes, the smoker paid for their balcony but they can enjoy their smokes elsewhere. I can't enjoy my veranda elsewhere.

While I know I am taking the chance of not being able to enjoy my balcony because of a neighboring smoker, I would prefer they prohibit it and open more spaces on the ship for smokers. It is easier to avoid those areas (and there doesn't have to be a lot of them) than having to suck it up on my balcony. Yes, the smoker paid for their balcony but they can enjoy their smokes elsewhere. I can't enjoy my veranda elsewhere.

Agreed makes sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would be better if they allowed smoking on balconies on one side of the ship, and prohibit smoking on the opposite side.

There would be more chance of this sticking in the future. As things are now there is more chance they will just fall in line with other companies and ban balcony smoking altogether.

I have tried searching HAL's Zuiderdam smoking policy,unable to find anything on their site.

If anyone has this information please let me know,especially if smoking is allowed on balconies.Thank You

You will find the smoking policy on HAL ships is the same fleet wide. Perhaps you couldn't find information by limiting your search to Zuiderdam?

Try searching 'smoking policy' on HAL site. You should find the information easily.