Live from the Queen Victoria--Princess Elites sail Cunard QV to the Baltic

PunkiC

Thank you for your daily update. I really felt with you seeing all the rain on the Tallin webcam.

But what exactly is Peach Champagne? To my understanding (and by french law) champagne is made of grapes from the champagne region and nothing else.

There are peach flavored sparkling wines. It isn't true champagne, but it fizzes. I've tried one, don't remember the name. DH said it was like fizzy Boone's Farm. :eek:

Day Seven: St. Petersburg, Russia

Upon awakening this morning I discovered that my immersion water heater had died. I am so sad as I love to get up at O’dark thirty and make myself cup of coffee while I write on the computer. I won’t even be able to replace it until I get back home and go to the AAA travel store. I guess I could try to find one is St. Petersburg or Warnemunde but then I would need to use a converter on it in most places I travel. Wait a minute, I have to use a converter on it in most places I travel anyway. As I write this I am drinking coffee made with hot tap water and Columbia Via—how desperate is that? It’s too early to awaken DH and ask him to run up and fill my cruise cup with hot water and room service should be here soon.

This morning we ordered a full breakfast in our room in order to expedite our progress out to our tour with SBG Tours. I have always faced organized tours with the same fear and trepidation that I had for fixed seating at dinner, but this tour group was amazing and once again, I was very happily surprised with the real thing. We had maybe 16 people in our tour and our guide was fabulous. She was a lovely, lovely girl who had majored in Art History. Moreover, everyone on our tour was wonderful—no complainers in the bunch. This is certainly a situation where once bad apple could spoil the bunch.

I was a little concerned about my ability to walk for 11 hours straight, only interrupted by short bus rides and a quick lunch, but my friend had a friend who had an electronic pain reduction device which she loaned me to apply to my lower back. Praise the Lord for that! It was flat-out amazing and it saved the day for me. I did seek out a place to sit when I could find one, but I was totally able to keep up with the walking, using my cane and didn’t miss a thing or slow anyone down. As soon as I get back to London and have unlimited free internet at the hotel, I am going to order such a device—maybe two.

Our schedule was so full that it nearly defies explanation but I will give it a shot.

We made a couple of photo-op stops along the way before we got off the bus and entered the Admiralty subway station. Our guide was very proud of this station and I can certainly see why—It is new, clean, beautiful and pretty astounding. It houses the longest escalator I have ever seen in my life. For instance, you can’t see the bottom from the top.

The first major museum site we visited was the Hermitage where we were treated to a delightful taste of its beautiful architecture and treasures. Our guide said that if you spent only one minute viewing each display in the Hermitage, it would take 8 years to see them all. We didn’t have quite that much time. DH has a design degree and spent a whole year studying Art History so he just totally loves this kind of stuff.

We also visited the Church of the Spilled Blood which is a monument to Alexander II and looks like an old Russian Cathedral with 9 onion domes, but is actually quite new. The mosaic work in the church is barely believable because of its complexity and magnificence.

The tour included lunch at a local restaurant out of the tourist area. They served what the guide called pie, but I would call called filled pastries. The fillings ranged from beef to apricot. We each had two pieces. I chose egg and green onion which was very tasty a cheese and mushrooms. DH had beef and egg and green onion. Most folks had one savory pie and one sweet pie but we aren’t dessert people so we were happy with two savories.

Our schedule after lunch was so busy that it has become something of a blur in my mind. It included a visit to the mansion where Rasputin was murdered which I think was called Yusuf or something like that. In any event, it was amazing to me that private individuals lived in such a lavish palace. We also visited St. Isaacs Cathedral and the Peterhof Fortress which contains St. Peter and Paul’s where members of the Russian Royal Family are buried.

I was so tired on the way back to the ship that I honestly didn’t think I would make it to dinner. After I rested for a bit however, I was able to garner the energy to make it down to the dining room and eat dinner, but as soon as we finished eating, I was well ready for bed.

In response to your comments:

Salcia writes:

That is a shocking comment. As to whether it can be attributed to racism or ignorance, I don't know. But either way, it is offensive.

Offensive to whom and why? The comment I made cannot be attributed to either racism or ignorance on either my part or the part of Bruce Parker. It was instead a simple statement of fact. If you were around at the time, you will remember that the original soul music that we all loved so much in the ’50s and ‘60s really did come out of the black ghettos, and Bruce chose to present it in its original form, rather than the nicey-nice white forms that the Righteous Brothers and Everly Brothers used in their presentations of the same songs. If you think his decision is ignorant or racist, you should probably take that up with him as he is a first-hand expert on racism. We actually had a very interesting discussion about his experiences growing up as a very well-educated black man from a fairly affluent family in the 70s in LA, and the weird emotionalism that surrounds racism.

Peach Champagne: I know nothing about champagne and don’t even particularly like champagne. We were in the Alsace celebrating our friend’s birthday. When we sat down at our table, we asked the sommelier to pick whatever wines he thought would go best with our meal. The champagne was presented as an aperitif, compliments of the restaurant. They could well afford it as the bill or our lunch for seven people was $1,700.00. At the end of the meal they presented our friend with a menu. They had steamed all of the labels off the wine we drank and attached them to the inside of the menu cover. Our friend was quite delighted.

We definitely got a great Flash Saver Fare on this cruise which was really the only reason we decided to take it. Usually we prefer to stay home in the summer but this was such a good deal we simply couldn’t resist.

Edited by PunkiC

Day Seven: St. Petersburg, Russia

Salcia writes:

Offensive to whom and why? The comment I made cannot be attributed to either racism or ignorance on either my part or the part of Bruce Parker. It was instead a simple statement of fact. If you were around at the time, you will remember that the original soul music that we all loved so much in the ’50s and ‘60s really did come out of the black ghettos, and Bruce chose to present it in its original form, rather than the nicey-nice white forms that the Righteous Brothers and Everly Brothers used in their presentations of the same songs. If you think his decision is ignorant or racist, you should probably take that up with him as he is a first-hand expert on racism. We actually had a very interesting discussion about his experiences growing up as a very well-educated black man from a fairly affluent family in the 70s in LA, and the weird emotionalism that surrounds racism.

PunkiC, I responed to this comment you made: "Once we were dressed we went up to the Lido and ate breakfast with a new friend I had met several days ago. While we were sitting there Bruce Parker, the featured entertainer/singer for the first part of the cruise, came by and chatted for about 45 minutes. He is a very interesting young man and has a magnificent voice. It is odd though that in real life he is very sophisticated and articulate, whereas in his act he gets a little ghetto as he is singing soul songs from the ‘50s and ‘60s, which were originally sung by ghetto folks..."

I don't know what would cause you to think I was responding to anything but your comment. Why did you find it "odd that in real live he is very sophisticated and articulate whereas he gets a little ghetto"? Phrases like "he gets a little ghetto" and "originally sung by ghetto folks" is very revealing of your thinking.

You stated that soul music was "originally sung by ghetto folks" -that term is disparaging, that is why your comment as quoted was offensive to me (in direct answer to your question "Offensive to whom and why?"). Everything I have read and heard indicates that the root of soul music is from the church, Gospel and Spirituals of Black Americans.

Here's an idea: why don't you show your post to Mr. Parker and ask him for his reaction? Let him know that while you felt his act "gets a little ghetto", and you found it "odd that he was very sophisticated and articulate" in real life.

Best wishes,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

The comments about "ghetto" interested me enough to look it up, since I'm not from the US. Wikipedia had this to say:

"While "ghetto" as an adjective can be used derogatorily, the African American community, particularly the hip hop scene, has taken the word for themselves and begun using it in a more positive sense that transcends its derogatory origins."

Perhaps that was the sense the OP intended?

Certain styles of music lend themselves to being presented in a style or accent that is not the natural accent of the singer eg Australian country and western singers adopting an American accent for their songs.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The comments about "ghetto" interested me enough to look it up, since I'm not from the US. Wikipedia had this to say:

"While "ghetto" as an adjective can be used derogatorily, the African American community, particularly the hip hop scene, has taken the word for themselves and begun using it in a more positive sense that transcends its derogatory origins."

Perhaps that was the sense the OP intended?

I did precisely the same as you.

I don't know PunkiC at all but I think I can tell from her posts she did NOT and would not want to offend anyone.

I have come to the conclusion it is very easy to offend someone when there are so many people with widely differing views and experiences.

Looking forward to Day Eight PunkiC. That's if your legs are still working. :)

I did precisely the same as you.

I don't know PunkiC at all but I think I can tell from her posts she did NOT and would not want to offend anyone.

I have come to the conclusion it is very easy to offend someone when there are so many people with widely differing views and experiences.

Looking forward to Day Eight PunkiC. That's if your legs are still working. :)

Having just looked, I realise in carefully rephrasing, I didn't add 'intend' after 'NOT'.

Apologies.

In a global community, like this one, it can be difficult to determine what will offend people from one particular cultural background and not others. I always try to understand what the poster intended even if the words used are used differently where I live.

A classic example is the US use of the term fanny, as in fanny pack. It is not a word used in polite company in some other countries ;).

I've been following along enjoying the review especially the ports, as a Baltic Cruise is on my "Bucket list" as well. We've had a number of Princess cruises so a description of the Cunard experience is very helpful.

I also enjoy the regular posters on this board whom I've found to be very forthright in expressing their opinions.:D

I gather that Mr. Archer's lordship was what is described over here as an "accident of birth" and not one awarded for service to the Empire??

As has been stated, we don't prosecute politicians for lying as our prison system doesn't have that much room.

I also benefit from having met the Punkster and Joe, spending most of a day with them, as I took 15 of my fellow Cruise Critics on a tour of my historic Galveston. Thanks for the kind words about the singing Punki. Which brings me to the point that Punki and Joe are citizens in good standing of the most liberal city in the U.S., Seattle. So take em as they are and enjoy the review as Punki would bend over backwards (if she could) so as not to delibertly offend anyone.

I on the other hand -------:rolleyes:

I've been following along enjoying the review especially the ports, as a Baltic Cruise is on my "Bucket list" as well. We've had a number of Princess cruises so a description of the Cunard experience is very helpful.

I also enjoy the regular posters on this board whom I've found to be very forthright in expressing their opinions.:D

I gather that Mr. Archer's lordship was what is described over here as an "accident of birth" and not one awarded for service to the Empire?? As has been stated, we don't prosecute politicians for lying as our prison system doesn't have that much room.

I also benefit from having met the Punkster and Joe, spending most of a day with them, as I took 15 of my fellow Cruise Critics on a tour of my historic Galveston. Thanks for the kind words about the singing Punki. Which brings me to the point that Punki and Joe are citizens in good standing of the most liberal city in the U.S., Seattle. So take em as they are and enjoy the review as Punki would bend over backwards (if she could) so as not to delibertly offend anyone.

I on the other hand -------:rolleyes:

Just to clarify matters, Jeffrey Archer was made a Life Peer in the Queen's Birthday Honours List of 1992.

I gather that Mr. Archer's lordship was what is described over here as an "accident of birth" and not one awarded for service to the Empire??

No, Jeffrey Archer was made a peer in 1992. It's all there in Wikipedia:

....an English author and former politician. Before becoming an author, Archer was a Member of Parliament (1969–74), but resigned over a financial scandal which left him almost bankrupt. Later, after a reversal in his fortunes from the royalties of his best-selling novels, he became deputy chairman of the Conservative Party (1985–86) before resigning after another scandal, which would lead to the end of his career in elected office. He was made a life peer in 1992. His political career ended with his conviction and subsequent imprisonment (2001–03) for perjury and perverting the course of justice, which followed his second resignation.

More reading matter:

http://courtnewsuk.co.uk/c_famous_crime_cases/a_jeffrey_archer/crime_vaults/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1420132.stm

....an English author and former politician. Before becoming an author, Archer was a Member of Parliament (1969–74), but resigned over a financial scandal which left him almost bankrupt. Later, after a reversal in his fortunes from the royalties of his best-selling novels, he became deputy chairman of the Conservative Party (1985–86) before resigning after another scandal, which would lead to the end of his career in elected office. He was made a life peer in 1992. His political career ended with his conviction and subsequent imprisonment (2001–03) for perjury and perverting the course of justice, which followed his second resignation.

More reading matter:

He's not a very nice person and should have had his peerage taken away in my view. It has also been alleged in the past that he 'flies on his wife's coat-tails' as far as his very successful novels are concerned and I wouldn't be surprised at that as he is a convicted liar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

More reading matter:

Wow, 1992 must have been a thin year for candidates. Two scandals and resignation and she still made him a life peer? What good things had he done to earn this honor? Was it just because he's a successful author?

Wow, 1992 must have been a thin year for candidates. Two scandals and resignation and she still made him a life peer? What good things had he done to earn this honor? Was it just because he's a successful author?

His Life Peerage, recommended by John Major, was awarded primarily for his fund raising activities for The Kurds.

He made extravagant claims about the sums of money raised which were not borne out by a subsequent investigation.

PunkiC, I responed to this comment you made: "Once we were dressed we went up to the Lido and ate breakfast with a new friend I had met several days ago. While we were sitting there Bruce Parker, the featured entertainer/singer for the first part of the cruise, came by and chatted for about 45 minutes. He is a very interesting young man and has a magnificent voice. It is odd though that in real life he is very sophisticated and articulate, whereas in his act he gets a little ghetto as he is singing soul songs from the ‘50s and ‘60s, which were originally sung by ghetto folks..."

I don't know what would cause you to think I was responding to anything but your comment. Why did you find it "odd that in real live he is very sophisticated and articulate whereas he gets a little ghetto"? Phrases like "he gets a little ghetto" and "originally sung by ghetto folks" is very revealing of your thinking.

You stated that soul music was "originally sung by ghetto folks" -that term is disparaging, that is why your comment as quoted was offensive to me (in direct answer to your question "Offensive to whom and why?"). Everything I have read and heard indicates that the root of soul music is from the church, Gospel and Spirituals of Black Americans.

Here's an idea: why don't you show your post to Mr. Parker and ask him for his reaction? Let him know that while you felt his act "gets a little ghetto", and you found it "odd that he was very sophisticated and articulate" in real life.

Best wishes,

Salacia

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to respond to this post and the discussion that goes with it. I, too, found the OP’s comments offensive. And condescending. At first I was surprised that other posters saw no problems at all with these comments. But now I have a theory about that.

Salacia, perhaps our feelings about the posts come from where we live? NYC and its environs are very multicultural, and perhaps our daily lives and interactions make us more sensitive to comments like “ghetto folk.” In recent travels I’ve met a number of people from very homogeneous areas (meaning not multicultural), and comments like this didn’t strike them as even slightly offensive, whereas I was surprised at some of what I heard.

And for the searchers of Wikipedia, yes, the African American community may have embraced the word “ghetto,” but it’s for their use. It isn’t just WHAT is said, it’s HOW it’s said and WHO says it. The very first line of that Wikipedia entry notes that “ghetto” has a connotation of segregation and later there’s a reference to “mainstream America's use of the term ‘ghetto’ to signify a poor, culturally or racially homogenous urban area.” It’s a difficult thing to explain, but some words and comments are acceptable when used by the people to whom they refer, but not when they’re used by someone outside that community. (Anyone who’s ever heard Dick Gregory will know what I mean.)

While I’ve been thinking about these comments, it occurred to me that I have met Mr. Parker. I’ve seen him perform on two QM2 voyages. On the second of those voyages I happened to see him in the Lido, and went over to say how much I enjoyed his performances and how glad I was that we had a second chance to see him. We chatted only briefly, so I didn’t have time to learn his life story. But I didn’t see a great difference between the man at the Lido and the man on stage. Like most performers, he was “bigger” on stage. But that’s “selling” the song, part of giving a performance. Maybe it’s because he isn’t a “pure artist,” but an entertainer and he really likes to light up a room.

And BTW, Salacia, you’re right about soul. Its origins are in gospel. Makes sense when you think about it. The Queen of Soul grew up singing in her father’s church.

I think Bruce Parker was on one of our TAs on the QM2. Is there any way I can track down all his performances on a Cunard ship?

He was on the Circumnavigation of Australia in February 2012. I don't recall which segment. I saw him again on a transatlantic, and I think it might have been in November 2012.

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to respond to this post and the discussion that goes with it. I, too, found the OP’s comments offensive. And condescending. At first I was surprised that other posters saw no problems at all with these comments. But now I have a theory about that.

Salacia, perhaps our feelings about the posts come from where we live? NYC and its environs are very multicultural, and perhaps our daily lives and interactions make us more sensitive to comments like “ghetto folk.” In recent travels I’ve met a number of people from very homogeneous areas (meaning not multicultural), and comments like this didn’t strike them as even slightly offensive, whereas I was surprised at some of what I heard.

And for the searchers of Wikipedia, yes, the African American community may have embraced the word “ghetto,” but it’s for their use. It isn’t just WHAT is said, it’s HOW it’s said and WHO says it. The very first line of that Wikipedia entry notes that “ghetto” has a connotation of segregation and later there’s a reference to “mainstream America's use of the term ‘ghetto’ to signify a poor, culturally or racially homogenous urban area.” It’s a difficult thing to explain, but some words and comments are acceptable when used by the people to whom they refer, but not when they’re used by someone outside that community. (Anyone who’s ever heard Dick Gregory will know what I mean.)

While I’ve been thinking about these comments, it occurred to me that I have met Mr. Parker. I’ve seen him perform on two QM2 voyages. On the second of those voyages I happened to see him in the Lido, and went over to say how much I enjoyed his performances and how glad I was that we had a second chance to see him. We chatted only briefly, so I didn’t have time to learn his life story. But I didn’t see a great difference between the man at the Lido and the man on stage. Like most performers, he was “bigger” on stage. But that’s “selling” the song, part of giving a performance. Maybe it’s because he isn’t a “pure artist,” but an entertainer and he really likes to light up a room.

And BTW, Salacia, you’re right about soul. Its origins are in gospel. Makes sense when you think about it. The Queen of Soul grew up singing in her father’s church.

3rdGenCunarder, thank you very much for your eloquent post. Yes, I think you are correct in thinking that where we live has an effect on our response to certain phrases and word with varying definitions. But my hope is that your post will increase awareness for those who do not live in a multicultural environment and as a result, may have not previously given much thought to the history and practice involved in the use of racially charged words.

Thanks again,

Salacia

P.S. Seeing Ms. Aretha Franklin perform live is on my bucket list - that woman is indeed The Queen of Soul. Can I have an Amen? :)

Edited by Salacia

3rdGenCunarder, thank you very much for your eloquent post. Yes, I think you are correct in thinking that where we live has an effect on our response to certain phrases and word with varying definitions. But my hope is that your post will increase awareness for those who do not live in a multicultural environment and as a result, may have not previously given much thought to the history and practice involved in the use of racially charged words.

Thanks again,

Salacia

P.S. Seeing Ms. Aretha Franklin perform live is on my bucket list - that woman is indeed The Queen of Soul. Can I have an Amen? :)

Absolutely, Ms. Franklin is always worthy of an Amen!

I was visiting some friends and we were out in their car. The radio was playing and their son and I were singing along with Aretha. The Dad reached for the radio to change channels and I stopped him, saying NOBODY changes channel when the Queen of Soul is singing!

He was on the Circumnavigation of Australia in February 2012. I don't recall which segment. I saw him again on a transatlantic, and I think it might have been in November 2012.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will confer with daughter about them.

I think he did a tribute to Nat King Cole on our trip.

We sat and talked with him for a bit on an outside deck. Very pleasant gentleman.

I think Bruce Parker was on one of our TAs on the QM2. Is there any way I can track down all his performances on a Cunard ship?

Hi eatsallinsects. Perhaps if you sent an e-mail to the Cunard World Desk, they might give you a list of all his performances on Cunard ships. Or, if you wanted ask Mr. Parker directly, you could ask him through the contact page on his website http://www.parkerbmusic.com/ -S.

Edited by Salacia

Hi eatsallinsects. Perhaps if you sent an e-mail to the Cunard World Desk, they might give you a list of all his performances on Cunard ships. Or, if you wanted ask Mr. Parker directly, you could ask him through the contact page on his website http://www.parkerbmusic.com/ -S.

Wonderful suggestion! Have sent him an email. Thanks!

Well, after reading two particular comments about the use of the word “ghetto” in a description of a performance, I too looked up soul music in Wikipedia and the first sentence is copied here... “ is a popular music genre that originated in the United States in the 1950s and early 1960s. It combined elements of African American gospel music, rhythm and blues, and often jazz”. It goes on to say “According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, soul is "music that arose out of the black experience in America through the transmutation of gospel and rhythm & blues into a form of funky, secular testifying.” While I agree that many soul singers got their start singing in churches, the music was also sung in other venues that were at the other end of the spectrum from the church setting.

Looking up the word ghetto in Wikipedia, which I don’t see as an offensive word the way it was used nor a word that can only be used by a certain group of people, I find... “is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure". Wikipedia also states there have been and are ghettos in Europe, Africa and the US and that while it is used for black areas, it is also used for other group's areas. as well, both here in the US and abroad. I am from the South and have lived in several states and taught school in many districts, some that are heavily black. Yes, there are a few words that are definitely not used to describe, but ghetto does not rise to that level in the area I am from which is multicultural.