El Cheapo Cruises Thread

That 19 night Diamond Princess cruise has now dropped to $1599 with $100 OBC. WOW!!!!

Yeap. I tried to get it refared but it was coming up dearer when I rang Princess. So I asked them to release my FCC and I do it myself. However, I probably going to hold off rebooking at the moment. I haven't had my leave approved. I might see if I can just hold a cabin at the moment.

Edited by icat2000

Yeap. I tried to get it refared but it was coming up dearer when I rang Princess. So I asked them to release my FCC and I do it myself. However, I probably going to hold off rebooking at the moment. I haven't had my leave approved. I might see if I can just hold a cabin at the moment.

Don't leave it too long.... I was talking to my Princess Rep this morning and it is selling fast, as you can imagine as well as it being on the 7 day sale which has been going on for quite a while.

Why don't you just use your FCC letter, make the booking and then see if you can get holidays. If not, just cancel and you get your FCC letter back.

Don't leave it too long.... I was talking to my Princess Rep this morning and it is selling fast' date=' as you can imagine as well as it being on the 7 day sale which has been going on for quite a while.

Why don't you just use your FCC letter, make the booking and then see if you can get holidays. If not, just cancel and you get your FCC letter back.[/quote']

I've taken the punt and rebooked it with my FCC, this time I did it through an online aust agency as I got $285 OBC plus my $125 OBC from FCC and I got the cabin inside at $3053. If my boss says no to leave. I just lose the FCC.

I've taken the punt and rebooked it with my FCC, this time I did it through an online aust agency as I got $285 OBC plus my $125 OBC from FCC and I got the cabin inside at $3053. If my boss says no to leave. I just lose the FCC.

Oh I think I know which agency..... just double check you final payment date.... they bring it forward by months.... you have to pay quite a few months earlier than is normal. (that's if it is the agency I am thinking about)

Oh I think I know which agency..... just double check you final payment date.... they bring it forward by months.... you have to pay quite a few months earlier than is normal. (that's if it is the agency I am thinking about)

Final payment date is 28 December 2014. I just double checked the paperwork.

Edited by icat2000

Ive just put a hold on this cruise too, but haven't really decided as I am not sure about the stops in Vietnam. I know I have the weekend to research but do any of you know whats to see at those stops?

I will check out the roll call.

Might see you on board.

Ive just put a hold on this cruise too, but haven't really decided as I am not sure about the stops in Vietnam. I know I have the weekend to research but do any of you know whats to see at those stops?

Might see you on board.

The very best tour you can do is with Thi or Smiletours.

I used her for a private tour and from the roll call got about 30 and we had a great day

The price was so cheap because she is good at eher job and so helpful and knowledgeable.

thi.smiletours@gmail.com

There4 is nothing she will not organise if at all possible

She even bought some prescription medicine for me at the local prices and had it ready when we met.

You pay at the end of the tour.

Might see you on board.

I've been to both those places a couple of times. There is quite a bit to see at both stops. Saigon (as the locals still call it) or Ho Chi Minh City is very walkable around the District 1 area.

Notable attractions in Saigon's District 1 include Saigon City Hall, Saigon Opera House, Notre Dame Cathedral, Saigon Central Post Office, Reunification Palace, National History Museum, Jade Emperor Pagoda, Jamia Al Muslimin Mosque, Mariamman Hindu Temple and the tallest building in the city, the Bitexco Tower.

If you know your literature: Graham Greene book the Quiet American and the movie was filmed in several prominent locations there. Especially the Continential Hotel, which is very near the Opera House and Rex Hotel.

Edited by icat2000

Might see you on board.

I didn't think I would be impressed with Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) but I loved it. We went on a ship's tour. You really need to do either a ship or private tour to Saigon to see much. The nearby city that a free shuttle goes to is really a waste of a day.

Is your other port Nha Trang? If you do a tour to Saigon you could just take the free shuttle in Nha Trang. The bus drops passengers off about 200m from a lovely beach with attractive foreshore and (in the opposite direction) a market of a hundred or so little shops. Great bargains.:)

Thank you so much for the info, yes the other port is Nha Trang.

We have just come back on the Sun Princess. We went to the Thap Ba Hot Springs in Nha Trang for the day and had a relaxing fun time. $90USD for 4 people, private bath, 45 min massage, snacks, lunch. $5USD for the taxi there after getting the free shuttle into town. Also highly recommend the private tour we did with Van from Vietnam Alive. There was only 8 of us and he picked us up at the ship, much quicker than the cruise ship tour. Not much walking either as we always had the van close by. Nice cool air con and water. He took us to a fantastic local stop for lunch which was included. He caters for whatever itinerary you want to do.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have just come back on the Sun Princess. We went to the Thap Ba Hot Springs in Nha Trang for the day and had a relaxing fun time. $90USD for 4 people, private bath, 45 min massage, snacks, lunch. $5USD for the taxi there after getting the free shuttle into town. Also highly recommend the private tour we did with Van from Vietnam Alive. There was only 8 of us and he picked us up at the ship, much quicker than the cruise ship tour. Not much walking either as we always had the van close by. Nice cool air con and water. He took us to a fantastic local stop for lunch which was included. He caters for whatever itinerary you want to do.

Can l ask if you had to pay the tour company $30 each so they could come onto the port to pick you up? Our tour company we have booked with say they have to pay that for each passenger on the tour. How much was your tour, if you don't mind me asking?

Can l ask if you had to pay the tour company $30 each so they could come onto the port to pick you up? Our tour company we have booked with say they have to pay that for each passenger on the tour. How much was your tour' date=' if you don't mind me asking?[/quote']

We paid $90USD each which included the port fee, that every tour company has to pay if they are to pick you up right next to the ship. It is quite a walk in the humidity to get out of the port gate. I paid a deposit then the rest in cash after the tour. They will ask for a copy of your passport, it is necessary as the government has to keep a tract of who has entered their country. That gist included the tour, driver, guide, water and lunch. Small group of 8. I wouldn't have wanted more than that as this size was comfortable for the van. We were the first off the ship and left at around 8 and the traffic was not too bad. After the highway, the driver took us through the back streets to Saigon which was very interesting seeing locals.

We paid $90USD each which included the port fee, that every tour company has to pay if they are to pick you up right next to the ship. It is quite a walk in the humidity to get out of the port gate. I paid a deposit then the rest in cash after the tour. They will ask for a copy of your passport, it is necessary as the government has to keep a tract of who has entered their country. That gist included the tour, driver, guide, water and lunch. Small group of 8. I wouldn't have wanted more than that as this size was comfortable for the van. We were the first off the ship and left at around 8 and the traffic was not too bad. After the highway, the driver took us through the back streets to Saigon which was very interesting seeing locals.

Thanks Jenny :D