New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

6 hours ago, mafig said:

How about what I consider pool-side drinks like Pina Coladas?  I see Virgin listed under "Quench" but not listed at all under Signature  (with alcohol).  Can we assume if the Virgin is listed, then with the alcohol  added it's OK?

Agree with @0106 (on all points). Pool-side drinks are priced by the liquor that is in them, and Roger's pic shows no Rum that is more than the Signature limit. (It seems that multiple liquor/liqueur drinks like White Russians are priced as the primary liquor, as WR is covered too.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

Can you buy the water package delivered to the room after boarding? We’re pretty picky about water but have read good things about HAL’s water. I’d like to try it and only order the package if we don’t like it.

In our opinion, the best water on any of HAL's ships comes directly from he faucet in your cabin, or the water dispensers in the buffet area. And the price is right too!

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

In our opinion, the best water on any of HAL's ships comes directly from he faucet in your cabin, or the water dispensers in the buffet area. And the price is right too!

I second this; the tap water exceeds the quality of some brands of bottled, and many municipalities (e.g.,  is much better than most LA or Vancouver City tap water). All of the ice, with the exception of this year's limited edition glacial ice, is made with the tap water (so you'll be drinking it regardless).

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

My only problem with the room tap water is too warm, so I get cold water and ice from the Lido. Of course all the same water - just at a more likeable temperature.

Plan ahead.. fill your water bottles from the tap in your cabin and stash them in the 'fridge' to cool down.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

Can you buy the water package delivered to the room after boarding? We’re pretty picky about water but have read good things about HAL’s water. I’d like to try it and only order the package if we don’t like it.

You don't like our answers so far?

1 hour ago, Happily@Sea said:

My only problem with the room tap water is too warm, so I get cold water and ice from the Lido. Of course all the same water - just at a more likeable temperature.

Your cabin steward will bring ice twice a day as a routine when the cabin is serviced. Plus, you can always call room service, or ask your steward if you see him around, to bring some. Or, you can place a standing order for ice at a particular time. 

If I learned nothing else from my husband, I learned 'lotta ice'. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

I always ask for my ice bucket to be filled twice a day - once in the morning when the stewards "service" my cabin and once at night (and I tell them I don't need turndown service - just the ice).  I fill up my water bottle in the morning with the "melted" ice from the night before and then at night with the melted ice from the morning.  It has worked for me that way.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

I always ask for my ice bucket to be filled twice a day - once in the morning when the stewards "service" my cabin and once at night (and I tell them I don't need turndown service - just the ice).  I fill up my water bottle in the morning with the "melted" ice from the night before and then at night with the melted ice from the morning.  It has worked for me that way.

Exactly what we do. Gives us plenty of ice and cold water for the day and also for our bottles when going ashore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Exactly what we do. Gives us plenty of ice and cold water for the day and also for our bottles when going ashore.

We did the same but when we left for dinner we emptied all the ice that was in the ice bucket into our water bottles we kept in the refrigerator. Then before we went to bed we did the same. That way the next morning we had a relatively full of ice water bottle which would stay cold for most of the day.  This was perfect for our port days in Hawaii. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We did the same but when we left for dinner we emptied all the ice that was in the ice bucket into our water bottles we kept in the refrigerator. Then before we went to bed we did the same. That way the next morning we had a relatively full of ice water bottle which would stay cold for most of the day.  This was perfect for our port days in Hawaii. 

Yes!! Fabulously tasting cold water - with no additional charge buying a water package! 🤯

• Like 6

14 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

We always pre-order the 6 litre pkg of Acqua Panna and then have them in the fridge (after clearing out the mini bar stuff). But I believe you can also order the Panna pkg and the Flow water pkg once onboard, from the minibar menu.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

A. It “off topic” here… also new to HAL.   Many people have mentioned “fridge” in above posts…. I didn’t think there were any fridges in cabins? Or does that depend on type of cabin booked?

Most of the ships have fridges in the cabins but on the Zaandam none in insides or ocean views. On the other ships I have been on (Kdam, Rotterdam, Eurodam, Westerdam, NS) there were in all cabins.  Hopefully someone will chime in with the others.

Just now, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

That explains all… we are in OV on Zaandam,….

thanks!

You're welcome.  As an aside, I think you can rent one for a nominal fee but it does encroach on the space and I am not sure how you do that.  Have a great time (I did!!  I was upgraded to an OV and was impressed!!)

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

I refuse to buy water!! 🤑

If you lived in Florida and were on well water 🤪, you might feel differently about that !

But I also refuse to buy water on Holland American ships. There's no point. Ship's tap water is so much better than Florida well water.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Ship's tap water is so much better than Florida well water.

Native Floridian and have grown up on water from the well that comes from the Florida Aquifer......For us, Florida water and Holland America Line water (the no surcharge kind) are perfect!

Enjoy the journey......

Edited by FlaMariner

Is there an unwritten rule on refillable water bottles? I will be bringing a water bottle (not plastic) for the first time. I used to buy the canned water and looking to spend that money elsewhere... Is it frowned upon filling the water bottle up with ice and water in the Lido? 

The small ice buckets in your stateroom hold only a few ice cubes so I now bring a small collapsible cooler that needs filling only every other day.  Cooler temps are much colder than the minibar (fridge).

Based on CC inquiries several years ago about minibar temps, I brought my infrared thermometer to measure.  Over a number of cruises, I measured minibar temps for beverages kept in the door at 43 degrees F and in the back 38 degrees F.  If you like cold beverages, letting them spend some time in an ice-filled cooler should give you a 33-degree F "cold one".

9 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

Is there an unwritten rule on refillable water bottles? I will be bringing a water bottle (not plastic) for the first time. I used to buy the canned water and looking to spend that money elsewhere... Is it frowned upon filling the water bottle up with ice and water in the Lido? 

Just for clarification, it is my experience that empty plastic bottles, even an empty disposable bottle, are OK. The qualifier is "empty".

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1