New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

In re reusable water bottles.  Be careful because a recent study showed that the average reusable water bottle has 40,000 times the number of bacteria as the average toilet.  You can avoid this by careful cleaning each time you use it.

https://healthnews.com/news/reusable-water-bottles-contain-more-bacteria-than-toilet-seat/

2 hours ago, ralfrick said:

It took weeks, a bit at a time, and I skimmed posts that seemed irrelevant to us, but I've finally waded through this monstrosity of a thread, and want to confirm and clarify a few things. 3 of us will be sailing Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver Aug 4 on New Amsterdam after 3 weeks in Alaska, visiting the 8 National Parks, which will culminate in Glacier Bay.

If we've had dinner elsewhere or in port, but the MDR has an appealing dessert, is it considered bad form to take up space for dessert only (after the peak dining time, of course)?

I’m not sure, but from my research the same desserts are often also available in the buffet the same night .

Is unlimited laundry per cabin or per person?

Per cabin. 

I answered what I could in bold above. The rest I don’t know but I’m sure others will chime in. 

2 hours ago, ralfrick said:

@ralfrickI've noted that we can order room service off the MDR menu during dinner's 1st hour. Is this true of any other meals, specifically breakfast? Yes, here’s the standard room service menu: https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Room-Service-Pinnacle-and-S-class-ship-2023-24.pdf

Here’s the breakfast menu you can hang on the door the night before:  https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Breakfast-Card-2024-1.pdf  I’ve written in additional items and it has never been a problem.  You can always call room service in the am too.

I've noted the policy prohibiting bringing beverages & plastic bottles on board, including energy drinks. Any idea if this applies to small energy shots about the size of a motel shampoo bottle & made of a similar material, different than the plastic in beverage bottles?  Never tried but I can’t imagine it being a problem.

None of the discussions of gala nights or MDR dress codes mention shoes. My options will be hiking shoes or hiking boots; any issue? Alaskan cruises are somewhat more casual, even on dressy nights.  Hiking shoes will be fine. 

If we've had dinner elsewhere or in port, but the MDR has an appealing dessert, is it considered bad form to take up space for dessert only (after the peak dining time, of course)? The desserts in the Lido buffet will be the same as the MDR

Is unlimited laundry per cabin or per person? Per cabin

I've noted that bags we carry onto the ship ourselves must fit into the scanner; can one assume that anything that can be carried onto an airplane will fit? Yes

I'm fully aware that bringing cannabis onboard is strictly forbidden; that is not what I am asking. But we will be indulging prior to sailing and in the ports, and will therefore possibly have a pipe, rolling papers, lighters, or other smoking implements; are any of these likely be an issue? Pipes, rolling papers and lighters are allowed.  Be sure pipe does not contain any marijuana reside.  Not sure what you mean by other smoking implements.

Our bus from Anchorage arrives in Whittier at 3:30, which seems close when considering the advice to arrive early. On the other hand, this looks fairly standard among the shuttle companies in Alaska, and taking passengers to the ports seems to be the core of their business model, so I shouldn't worry, right?  Has the bus from Anchorage been arranged by HAL?  If so, I wouldn’t worry.

Finally, covid restrictions like masks, vaccine records, et al are not an issue at this time, correct? No Covid restrictions.

Alaska is beautiful. Enjoy!

How does the "Best Price Guarantee" work on shore excursions with the $200 Shore Ex credit?

HAL applies the coupon to the highest value tour.

So, for example, it's obvious when HAL is just marking up a "Cabo Adventures" tour or "Vallarta Adventures" tour.

If I supply the Cabo Adventures price on the best price guarantee will that give me any sort of benefit, or is it pointless because the ShorEx coupon has discounted the whole thing?

Thanks for a timely and informative response 0106, good to see mostly what I expected. I guess "other smoking implements" is just being thorough. We'll be using vape Pods prior to sailing, but would only have a battery onboard.

1 hour ago, ralfrick said:

I know jeans are verboten on Gala nights, but what about cargo pants?

I hope not.  All of my travel pants are cargo pants, not the ones with the big baggy pockets, but those with flattish zipper pockets on the legs. 

image.jpeg.b9cb2d6a72c4f0d2b3a98cf11c54506c.jpeg

Hello all.

I've previously been lucky enough to cruise ~20 years ago with Princess and Royal Caribbean and have just booked the 7 Day Jewels of the Mediterranean in May with HAL. I've gone back through about 30 pages of the thread (lost of useful information!). Was wondering if anyone could help with the following:

• Are all ports walkable to explore or are shore excursions (HAL or otherwise) needed? From previous cruises 20 years ago, you could be in a port with an hour + drive to get anywhere of interest. I was looking at the itinerary for Jewels of the Mediterranean, to try and book some external excursions and can't see do they actually dock where I could book a tour.

• Is there any dis/advantage in checking in early? 

• I have the Have it All package - which includes the signature drinks package - I think this entitles you to 15 x $11 dollar drinks. If a drink is over $11 - do you pay the difference, or pay outright for it? I saw conflicting information on this so was a bit unclear. 

Thanks kindly all. Counting down the days to my first sea day in 20 years 🙂

20 hours ago, ralfrick said:

I know jeans are verboten on Gala nights, but what about cargo pants?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As a hobby photographer, I have been wearing cargo pants on Gala/Dressy nights for years but I do add a sport jacket.  In my experience, half of the Main Dining Room (MDR) men will wear the minimum requirement of the dress code and the other half will be in jackets with or without ties.  There will be a few tuxedos and long gowns. 

Wear what makes you feel comfortable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, booms said:

Hello all.

I've previously been lucky enough to cruise ~20 years ago with Princess and Royal Caribbean and have just booked the 7 Day Jewels of the Mediterranean in May with HAL. I've gone back through about 30 pages of the thread (lost of useful information!). Was wondering if anyone could help with the following:

• Are all ports walkable to explore or are shore excursions (HAL or otherwise) needed? From previous cruises 20 years ago, you could be in a port with an hour + drive to get anywhere of interest. I was looking at the itinerary for Jewels of the Mediterranean, to try and book some external excursions and can't see do they actually dock where I could book a tour.

• Is there any dis/advantage in checking in early? 

• I have the Have it All package - which includes the signature drinks package - I think this entitles you to 15 x $11 dollar drinks. If a drink is over $11 - do you pay the difference, or pay outright for it? I saw conflicting information on this so was a bit unclear. 

Thanks kindly all. Counting down the days to my first sea day in 20 years 🙂

All ports on the 7-Day Jewels of the Mediteranean are walkable except Piraeus (Athens).  Athens is about a 20 minute taxi ride from the port.

Checking in early allows you to avoid the crowds, eat the lunch included in your cruise fare, have a shorter line making Specialty Restaurant reservations, allow time to explore the ship before sailaway, and have your luggage unpacked before dinner.

You pay only the difference.

• Like 2

If I dress comfortably, they may not let me board.

I am glad to see HAL is more relaxed than I expected when I first started checking out the various lines. Psychologically, I was prepared to even wear a suit (usually not seen unless someone is getting married or buried), but really don't want to drag it around Alaska for 3 weeks.

On an unrelated note, Cruisehive is reporting that 9 unspecified HAL ships will soon add Deal or No Deal to the entertainment offerings at an unspecified future date.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

As a hobby photographer, I have been wearing cargo pants on Gala/Dressy nights for years but I do add a sport jacket.  In my experience, half of the Main Dining Room (MDR) men will wear the minimum requirement of the dress code and the other half will be in jackets with or without ties.  There will be a few tuxedos and long gowns. 

Wear what makes you feel comfortable.

How about cargo pants for women? 

How about dress shirt and tie, but no jacket for men  (shirts and ties take up less room in luggage than sport jackets).

1 minute ago, islandwoman said:

How about dress shirt and tie, but no jacket for men  (shirts and ties take up less room in luggage than sport jackets).

For our last several cruises, one of them on HAL, hubby has worn a dress shirt, no tie, nice slacks. Nobody had a problem with this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Pants of any style are acceptable for women (No shorts).

Minimum for men is collared shirts and slacks (no shorts).  Anything above the minimum is fine.  I have seen a full silk Benjamin Franklin outfit with buckle shoes and the owners long white hair tied back.  Also, Hawaiian shirts and sweaters are quite popular.

The minimum gets you into the MDR.  IMHO dining guests should not care what hundreds of their fellow passenger, (who they will never see again) think about their outfits.  There is no need to "dress to impress" unless you wish to do so.

FWIW my distressed feet encourage me to wear hiking shoes with my sport jacket.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Crew News said:

FWIW my distressed feet encourage me to wear hiking shoes with my sport jacket.

I hear you on that! Hubby wears nice running shoes, and I wear Merrell Jungle Mocs. Those are black suede and have a great footbed. 

• Like 3

How long does Holland America offer an "Early Booking Bonus Have It All" package for a cruise booking?

I'm thinking about upgrading from a Vista Suite to a Neptune Suite for a cruise sailing in September 2025, but I'd like to wait a few more months until I have a chance to sail on HAL and hopefully get to see and compare the Vista and Neptune Suites because  the price difference would be substantial.  I like the "Early Booking Bonus Have It All" package and wouldn't want to lose the opportunity to purchase it by changing cabins too late.

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

How long does Holland America offer an "Early Booking Bonus Have It All" package for a cruise booking?

I'm thinking about upgrading from a Vista Suite to a Neptune Suite for a cruise sailing in September 2025, but I'd like to wait a few more months until I have a chance to sail on HAL and hopefully get to see and compare the Vista and Neptune Suites because  the price difference would be substantial.  I like the "Early Booking Bonus Have It All" package and wouldn't want to lose the opportunity to purchase it by changing cabins too late.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I would comment that a Vista Suite is a suite in name only. It's typically the same as a regular balcony cabin with a few perks added. We've booked one in the past because of the price was only slightly more than a balcony cabin, but wouldn't bother doing so again. We've not booked a Neptune suite, but they are far superior to the Vista suites, both in size and amenities.

This page provides lots of information upon which to base a comparison:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/ca/onboard-experiences/suites-staterooms

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I don't have an answer to your question, but I would comment that a Vista Suite is a suite in name only. It's typically the same as a regular balcony cabin with a few perks added.

What perks? 

2 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I'm thinking about upgrading from a Vista Suite to a Neptune Suite for a cruise sailing in September 2025, but I'd like to wait a few more months until I have a chance to sail on HAL and hopefully get to see and compare the Vista and Neptune Suites because  the price difference would be substantial.  

Would you be sailing on the same ship or ship class?  They are very different.  Have you checked HAL Facts to compare rooms?

3 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

What perks? 

Scroll down on this page for a comparison chart:

Holland America Suites & Staterooms

• Like 1

We will be sailing on the Koningsdam in April, 2024.  The ship I am considering upgrading on in 2025 is the Zaandam.  Thank you for pointing out that the cabins on different ships and different classes are very different. 

I will check the HAL facts.