New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

We will be on our first cruise on the Amsterdam to Alaska in August. I drink coke zero but my husband doesn't. Would we both have to purchase the beverage package. Also do they only have fountain pop or do they have it in cans too. Their literature says they will give you a cup you can keep that is used for fountain drinks. Are you using the same cup for the entire trip? Also, are there lockers by the pools?

I think (?) the cup refers to the Koningsdam only?

In any case, for the beverage package you both need to purchase the package (assuming you are in the stateroom).

The soda package is fountain pop only. They do have cans but you don't get them with the package.

If only one of you drinks soda, why not just buy a regular beverage card that will save all those slips and then you can have the soda in the cans? Just a suggestion.

You can just order as you go along too and pay as you go. (charged to your on board account).

We will be on our first cruise on the Amsterdam to Alaska in August. I drink coke zero but my husband doesn't. Would we both have to purchase the beverage package. Also do they only have fountain pop or do they have it in cans too. Their literature says they will give you a cup you can keep that is used for fountain drinks. Are you using the same cup for the entire trip? Also, are there lockers by the pools?

You can bring a slab of Coke Zero cans onboard with you.

We will be driving to Seattle, can anyone recommend a good place to stay the evening before the cruise.

Not sure of your budget, but a friend and I splurged on the Inn at the Market and thought it was well worth it. They’ve got a gorgeous rooftop patio and are just steps away from the Pike Place Market.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Off Rotterdam March 4 sailing. Lanai cabin. Our first time on HAL. Never saw this information anywhere: There are shelves in the closet that fold down. They look like the walls so you have to look closely. Robe hanging in one closet, moved it to another section and folded down the shelves for extra storage.

The beverage card can be used for any beverage (sodas, speciality coffees, teas, beer, wine, mixed alcohol drinks). There are free non-alcohol drinks available in the Lido, such as iced tea, lemonade, coffee, and tea. Sodas, including coke zero, are served in cans with glasses of ice. In my experience, the sodas are all Coca Cola products. I have always been able to get coke zero and/or diet coke onboard.

Does anyone know where are the Technically regulations that allow a bottle of wine to be carried in Checked Baggage?

FROM AN EARLIER HAL POST:...

right now it can technically be in your checked luggage. However, ""rafinmd just reported on his live thread that he was called to the "naughty" room so they could open up his suitcase to see his soda.

If you are not bringing a lot on, I would be tempted to carry it on. Otherwise check it and be prepared.

Remember, you don't have to bring it all on at embarkation. Depending upon your ports of call and availability of you soda, you can bring all the soda you want at every port of call - no problem at

Does anyone know where are the Technically regulations that allow a bottle of wine to be carried in Checked Baggage?

FROM AN EARLIER HAL POST:...

right now it can technically be in your checked luggage. However, ""rafinmd just reported on his live thread that he was called to the "naughty" room so they could open up his suitcase to see his soda.

If you are not bringing a lot on, I would be tempted to carry it on. Otherwise check it and be prepared.

Remember, you don't have to bring it all on at embarkation. Depending upon your ports of call and availability of you soda, you can bring all the soda you want at every port of call - no problem at

You cannot or are not supposed to put your wine in checked luggage. It's right on the luggage tags.

It can't be more clearer. Carry on and check in.

Same with non alcoholic beverages.

Have you seen those bags thrown? If I have duty free, I carry it off the ship and then put it in my bag. The ship even advises to do this.

I think a lot of people use the word "technically" to describe rules they don't like, and use the word when they want to try to make it sound like passengers can choose to ignore such rules without doing so being considered transgressive behavior. This is a good reminder that when reading posts that can lead to confusion like this we should speak up and clarify that that's that poster's personal perspective and, in that case, that the rule is the rule and that there aren't actually any technicalities that set the rule aside, and that the poster perhaps meant that some people get away with violating the rule sometimes.

I would imagine all luggage entering the ship is subject to scanning just as our carry on bags are. We had wine to pay the $18 charge in our carry ons and the man at the scanner motioned us to the table to get our stickers. With soda I would imagine that the cans are very thin and who wants their luggage soaked with someone else's sticky soda?

Does anyone know if applesauce is available on the room service menu?

I never ordered it from room service, but I know the ship certainly has it on board. I used to get some every morning in the Lido for the same purpose.

Even if they didn't have it on board, if they have apples, they can make some easily enough.

I never ordered it from room service, but I know the ship certainly has it on board. I used to get some every morning in the Lido for the same purpose.

Even if they didn't have it on board, if they have apples, they can make some easily enough.

Thanks Ruth! I hadn’t thought about the Lido. She’ll need it several times a day but now I’m thinking it would be way easier (and potentially less messy) if we just take a small container to fill at breakfast and store in the mini fridge. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good idea..I would suggest(if you bring it with you)that you get the pouches of applesauce,as they're sealed really well and won't leak..they also have pouches of baby food of different flavours which are pretty good(don't ask how I know this but I do:p)

I am sure this has been addressed, but I am a newbie. :-) I am thinking about changing our flight out of FLL from late afternoon to an 11:15am. The ship is scheduled to arrive into Port Everglades at 7a. Is 1115a doable? And would it be doable without self-disembarkation. Can do self, but looking to make life as easy as possible. Also would likely use Lyft or Uber. HAL recommends after 1130a.

I am sure this has been addressed, but I am a newbie. :-) I am thinking about changing our flight out of FLL from late afternoon to an 11:15am. The ship is scheduled to arrive into Port Everglades at 7a. Is 1115a doable? And would it be doable without self-disembarkation. Can do self, but looking to make life as easy as possible. Also would likely use Lyft or Uber. HAL recommends after 1130a.

In early March 2018 -we booked the 11:15 am flight out of FLL, Ship was in port on time. We filled out our form to get the first time (with our bags being picked up in port with all the other bags). I think we got off the ship at 8:30 am. Went out front took a taxi/van and was at the airport before 9:00 am, check in was quick (we were ahead of the Ship scheduled buses), When we were checked in and walking to security the line was out the door with the Ship buses checking in. There were 5 ships in port that morning..... So yes, it can be done, just take a cab or a van to the airport and not ship transportation. We were at our gate waiting by shortly after 9 for our 11:15 flight.

I think a lot of people use the word "technically" to describe rules they don't like, and use the word when they want to try to make it sound like passengers can choose to ignore such rules without doing so being considered transgressive behavior. This is a good reminder that when reading posts that can lead to confusion like this we should speak up and clarify that that's that poster's personal perspective and, in that case, that the rule is the rule and that there aren't actually any technicalities that set the rule aside, and that the poster perhaps meant that some people get away with violating the rule sometimes.
I love this post ! ( I did however have to google transgressive behavior :o).

I agree with FlamingO. I just disembarked in PE this past weekend and would have easily made the 11:15. Don't bother with Lyft or Uber as you would have to wait. The taxis are there as soon as you walk out the door so the couple of dollars you'd save waiting for Lyft/Uber wouldn't be worth it. They have to get thru the gate first, which takes extra time. Disclaimer: YMMV

As a HAL newbie, can someone confirm this information for me?

~I will need to make reservations for the MDR even with having anytime dining? (table for 2)

~I can bring on one bottle of wine or champagne at the onset of the cruise with no corkage fee?

~The Neptune Lounge is only available for certain cabin categories?

~There is not assigned boarding times however, there are still some priority boardings?

~OV staterooms do not have fridges?

~I can request a bathrobe and ice bucket from the room steward as neither is standard issue in an OV room?

thanks for your help!

As a HAL newbie, can someone confirm this information for me?

~I will need to make reservations for the MDR even with having anytime dining? (table for 2)

No. You can walk up and wait for a table if no tables for 2 are available. You can make reservations for the earlier or later times, if you prefer.

~I can bring on one bottle of wine or champagne at the onset of the cruise with no corkage fee?

One bottle per adult, to be consumed in your cabin. Should you wish to bring it to the dining room, or a lounge, the corkage charge will be applied.

~The Neptune Lounge is only available for certain cabin categories?

Correct. Neptune and Pinnacle Suites only.

~There is not assigned boarding times however, there are still some priority boardings?

Correct, as of now. There have been reports of some ports trying to assign times based on deck. Most ships/ports allow Pinnacle, Neptune Suite, and disabled to be among the first to board. After that, it's based on when you arrived for check-in.

~OV staterooms do not have fridges?

Depends on the ship. The 6 S- & R-class ships do not have a fridge. One can be rented on those ships. All the other ships have a fridge in every cabin.

~I can request a bathrobe and ice bucket from the room steward as neither is standard issue in an OV room?

A bathrobe, and an ice bucket, are standard issue in all cabins on every ship.

Answers interspersed with the questions.[/FONT]

bUU, I wholeheartedly agree with richstowe's comment above - excellent Post and definitely one of the VERY BEST I have ever seen on CC. (y)(y)(y) Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Do the Vista ships have only North American style electrical outlets? How many outlets are there in a standard cabin?

Thanks!

The last ship we were on the only plug in was by the mirror. We had to get a power strip that had a long chord for my husbands bipap machine. I think there was one in the bathroom also. They put a rug over the chord so we wouldn’t trip over it