New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Wanted to mention that this is a fantastic thread! Thank you to all the posters who are providing great information.

We are going on our first Holland America cruise on the Veendam in July. Have been on other cruise lines and like them all!:D

I'm going on the October 2017 Asia Grand Voyage, my first HAL cruise. When onboard, how good are the future cruise deals? Right now HAL is offering a deal for the July 2018 34 day round trip (but with a non-refundable deposit). Might a onboard deal be better? Yes, I understand it's a crap shoot of what future prices will be, I'm just trying to tweak the odds. Thanks, Michael

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm going on the October 2017 Asia Grand Voyage, my first HAL cruise. When onboard, how good are the future cruise deals? Right now HAL is offering a deal for the July 2018 34 day round trip (but with a non-refundable deposit). Might a onboard deal be better? Yes, I understand it's a crap shoot of what future prices will be, I'm just trying to tweak the odds. Thanks, Michael

Cruise prices on board are the same as through HAL. Once in awhile you can get $100 on board credit (OBC) for booking while on board. I would recommend purchasing a number of future cruise deposits. When you are back home use the deposits to book your cruise, the required booking deposits can utilize the ones you purchased on board and be a huge savings in the amount needed to surrender when you book your cruise. Future cruise deposits are refundable

Cruise prices on board are the same as through HAL. Once in awhile you can get $100 on board credit (OBC) for booking while on board. I would recommend purchasing a number of future cruise deposits. When you are back home use the deposits to book your cruise, the required booking deposits can utilize the ones you purchased on board and be a huge savings in the amount needed to surrender when you book your cruise. Future cruise deposits are refundable

Agree on the Future Cruise Deposit but the poster is talking about a cruise with a non refundable deposit.

I believe if you use a Future Cruise Deposit for such a cruise, it become non refundable in that scenario.

I am also going my first HAL cruise on the Amsterdam doing the Grand Asia this fall. I have heard many good things about the food both to quality and quantity. Given my love for eating, I wonder if there is a set of scales for folks to weigh with. I plan to walk the decks, walk the stairs, do lots of tours but it seems people talk constantly about the food and knowing me, I will partake of a lot of it over the 80 day cruise. Are there scales? I really will need the incentive.

I am also going my first HAL cruise on the Amsterdam doing the Grand Asia this fall. I have heard many good things about the food both to quality and quantity. Given my love for eating, I wonder if there is a set of scales for folks to weigh with. I plan to walk the decks, walk the stairs, do lots of tours but it seems people talk constantly about the food and knowing me, I will partake of a lot of it over the 80 day cruise. Are there scales? I really will need the incentive.

There are scales at the Medical Centre. No charge to use. And on some ships also at the spa if I recall correctly

Put your fear of partaking away. Once you are on a shi for enough days, you go into "cruise mode".. You no longer need to eat everything as you have lots of days to do it.

W

You might be pleasantly surprised ;)

Are you a member of the "Grand Asia 2017" group? I didn't see you in the photo book. If you're not, consider joining for the shared information.

Wow! what a great informative thread. I have been reading through all the pages for days and found every post very interesting.

Ihave been on Nieuw Amsterdam before and loved it! My family will be on Ms Konningsdam cruising the Northern Fjords soon. I have not read much information about this new ship yet - I hope to have more updates soon. However I would like to ask some questions please, to which I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

- I found nothing on this thread related to the Sports court activities. Is there usually anything programmed or is it just open for anyone to use?

- Can anyone please give an idea of the fun/sports activities and production shows being organised on-board Konningsdam. Maybe someone here can comment on the daily programme to give us a taste, please? Or, just maybe... if I may ask, post a programm as a teaser?

- I read here that the ship has an on-board emergency number. I checked the FAQ on HAL website but found nothing related. Any ideas on how I can trace that please?

- I experienced the Free Text Messenger with a detailed link to the day programme on other cruises such as Princess, Does anyone know if Konningsdam have it too?

- I read about a black and white ball on HAL, is there anything like it on Konningsdam too?

Thanking you all in advance for your help.

- I read about a black and white ball on HAL, is there anything like it on Konningsdam too?

You are unlikely to have a Black & White ball on such a short, and port intensive, cruise as yours.

Those are not often held, and when they are they are on (much) longer cruises with plenty of sea days.

We will be on the Oosterdam in Sept this year and one of our adult kids is coming along. Will be in a suite (SB7093) and was wondering if there is some type of privacy curtain or something to separate the room for sleeping. We were on Princess once and they had them, thought it was such a great idea.

Wow! what a great informative thread. I have been reading through all the pages for days and found every post very interesting.

Ihave been on Nieuw Amsterdam before and loved it! My family will be on Ms Konningsdam cruising the Northern Fjords soon. I have not read much information about this new ship yet - I hope to have more updates soon. However I would like to ask some questions please, to which I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

- I found nothing on this thread related to the Sports court activities. Is there usually anything programmed or is it just open for anyone to use?

- Can anyone please give an idea of the fun/sports activities and production shows being organised on-board Konningsdam. Maybe someone here can comment on the daily programme to give us a taste, please? Or, just maybe... if I may ask, post a programm as a teaser?

- I read here that the ship has an on-board emergency number. I checked the FAQ on HAL website but found nothing related. Any ideas on how I can trace that please?

- I experienced the Free Text Messenger with a detailed link to the day programme on other cruises such as Princess, Does anyone know if Konningsdam have it too?

Thanking you all in advance for your help.

There is an electronic version of the Daily Navigator showing all of the day's events. One can book the Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, & Canaletto restaurants, view and book shore excursions, and more.

If you are wanting to text message other guests, there are apps for that. We use Ship Messenger with our iPhones. Both parties must be using the same app.

When we took the Norway cruise last year I don't recall any special events for the sport court.

We had a B&W ball at one point on our 3 week cruise.

I have a complete set of daily programs from our cruise stored on my home computer; I'll try to locate them and post a sample.

I believe the emergency number is provided when one completes the online checkin prior to boarding.

HTH,

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The electronic version of the Navigator on Maasdam was not up to date and/or accurate-needed much more attention - probably in the start up phase

For our recently completed Volendam Asia & Transpacific 44 day cruise it was fabulous. I quit taking photographs of the Daily Navigator as is my typical custom.

Thanks RuthC and Btimmer for your feedback - much appreciated indeed.

Ruth,

Our Konningsdam cruise is a 14 day cruise, so I guess we will not have a Black and White ball.

Btimmer,

Big Thanks for offering to post the daily programms - so very helpful. May I ask if you've been on Konningsdam for your Norway cruise last year? So, was the sports court available and open to use anytime?

Ruth,

Our Konningsdam cruise is a 14 day cruise, so I guess we will not have a Black and White ball.

Is it a true 14-day cruise? Or is it two 7-day cruises back to back?

I don't know the Koningsdam Norway itineraries, but when I have done two weeks in Norway, most of the time it's been two 7-day cruises. I know the Prinsendam does 14-days in Norway (I'm on one coming up shortly), but I thought the Koningsdam pretty much replaced the Ryndam's itineraries there. Those were two different 7-day itineraries when I did them.

Does anyone have experience with the neptune suite sofa bed? Our suite has the sofa bed for two. We are wondering if we will need additional padding for it to be comfortable. There will be one person (shorter height) using it.

Thank you!

Does anyone have experience with the neptune suite sofa bed? Our suite has the sofa bed for two. We are wondering if we will need additional padding for it to be comfortable. There will be one person (shorter height) using it.

Thank you!

I don't have personal experience but through the thousands of posts here, have read it's comfortable, no complaints. Please don't ask me where the posts are, too many to remember.

Thank you!

From what I have seen and heard, it is ok for one person. You can order an egg carton cover (I think that is the right term) if it is not firm enough/comfortable enough for the occupant.

Some have ordered them onboard and others have reported they are just fine.

There is an electronic version of the Daily Navigator showing all of the day's events. One can book the Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, & Canaletto restaurants, view and book shore excursions, and more.

Is the electronic version accessed via your phone with an app, or is it on the TV? Can I get the app prior to sailing?

Is the electronic version accessed via your phone with an app, or is it on the TV? Can I get the app prior to sailing?

You don't need an app, it is accessed via a web browser on any web enabled device (phone, pad, laptop).

You don't need an app, it is accessed via a web browser on any web enabled device (phone, pad, laptop).

Excellent... thanks!

BTW, I see you're from Athens, GA. I attended a Navy school there for 6 mos many years ago (1982) and loved the place. :) Great vibe! Spent a lot of time at Allen's directly across the street from campus. I understand that Allen's is no longer there... :(

Excellent... thanks!

BTW, I see you're from Athens, GA. I attended a Navy school there for 6 mos many years ago (1982) and loved the place. :) Great vibe! Spent a lot of time at Allen's directly across the street from campus. I understand that Allen's is no longer there... :(

I was here and yes, Allen's is gone and so is the Navy. UGa has the old Navy School property now. Hope you enjoyed it here.