New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

This December marks my first time on a cruise, HAL or otherwise, and I have a question about my stateroom guarantee. I am fine not knowing what room we will have until the week of sailing, but I've read lots of CC comments regarding stateroom location on the ship, size, etc. and how sometimes, 'upgrade' is in the eye of the beholder.

Are there SY (or above, as I'm guaranteed at least SY) suites in unfavorable locations onboard? Should I try to reserve a specific room to avoid any disappointment once onboard?

Thanks so much,

Andy

This December marks my first time on a cruise, HAL or otherwise, and I have a question about my stateroom guarantee. I am fine not knowing what room we will have until the week of sailing, but I've read lots of CC comments regarding stateroom location on the ship, size, etc. and how sometimes, 'upgrade' is in the eye of the beholder.

Are there SY (or above, as I'm guaranteed at least SY) suites in unfavorable locations onboard? Should I try to reserve a specific room to avoid any disappointment once onboard?

Thanks so much,

Andy

I can't speak specifically about an SY cabin, and it would depend on the ship. But sometimes undesirable locations can be determined by noise. Cabins below the aft pool deck might experience noise when the crew are putting the loungers out/taking them in. Or, I had a cabin once at the back of the ship and let's just say I was very aware when we were docking due to the noise.

But a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I didn't mind that docking noise because that served as my alarm clock that it was time to get up for the day. This time I booked my first guarantee and ended up with a cabin on the Eurodam by the forward elevators. I wouldn't have picked that location - I'd rather be towards the back and all the food! But I'm looking on the bright side and thinking about how convenient the Crow's Nest will be.

Congrats on getting the Neptune Suite. It and its perks are why we sail on HAL. SA will most likely be mid-ship and very close to the Neptune Lounge. SB will be the same suite either forward or stern. That's my take on it.

I'ma little confused, and apologize if this has been asked and answered multiple times. We will be 1 star Mariners (given credit for previous Carnival cruises) on Oosterdam in Alaska shortly. We will be in a Neptune suite, if it matters. Can we go to the dining room for lunch on the first day, or do we go to the buffet? Thank you!

I'ma little confused, and apologize if this has been asked and answered multiple times. We will be 1 star Mariners (given credit for previous Carnival cruises) on Oosterdam in Alaska shortly. We will be in a Neptune suite, if it matters. Can we go to the dining room for lunch on the first day, or do we go to the buffet? Thank you!

You beat me to it - I was going to ask the same question about the Neptune Suite and first day lunch in the dining room. Looking forward to the answer.

Want to ask about being a "1 star Mariner"...I thought I've read that they don't count CCL voyages any longer...? Do we just tell them our CCL status/number at time of booking?

You beat me to it - I was going to ask the same question about the Neptune Suite and first day lunch in the dining room. Looking forward to the answer.

Want to ask about being a "1 star Mariner"...I thought I've read that they don't count CCL voyages any longer...? Do we just tell them our CCL status/number at time of booking?

I would like to know if they count our Carnival status as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most on CC boards have indicated that lunch on first day in MDR is open to everyone. However, there seem to be some exceptions, on a recent review, it was only available to 4star and above mariners. Although, this was not indicated in daily program. On our cruise it was listed for all mariners, no one was checking.

They do count your previous Carnival cruises to put you at 1* status. My friends who cruised Carnival years ago were 1* on our recent HAL sailing.

Usually, the dining room is open to all however there can be exceptions depending on if TA's are onboard to view the ship, too many 4 and 5* mariners, etc.

And, the 1* status will get you an invite to the Mariner brunch later on in the cruise and the gift of the tile.

They do count your previous Carnival cruises to put you at 1* status. My friends who cruised Carnival years ago were 1* on our recent HAL sailing.

And, the 1* status will get you an invite to the Mariner brunch later on in the cruise and the gift of the tile.

But that is pretty much all it gets you. If you have sailed on any Carnival Corp. ship, then you board a HAL ship with one star status, but with zero days credited to that status. You build days on HAL sailings only.

It's the days (both sailed and bonus) that get you any substantial benefits.

We're going on NA in less than 2 weeks. I am thinking to book an excursion thru HAL website. If i book it before onboard, do they charge me now or the fee will show up on the room bill by the end of the cruise?

I hope to pay while I am onboard so i can pay cash (save my currency exchange fee on credit card), if i could book now and pay onboard. But i remember reading some posts mentioned that you need to pay in full if book before onboard.

We're going on NA in less than 2 weeks. I am thinking to book an excursion thru HAL website. If i book it before onboard, do they charge me now or the fee will show up on the room bill by the end of the cruise?

I hope to pay while I am onboard so i can pay cash (save my currency exchange fee on credit card), if i could book now and pay onboard. But i remember reading some posts mentioned that you need to pay in full if book before onboard.

Yes, if you book an excursion before you board, your credit card is charged at the time you book. Some credit cards do not have a foreign exchange fee (such as Capitol One for instance).

Hmmmmm, We're 1* on HAL and looking forward to another HAL sailing in September. Until now, I assumed that our 1* status was based on our one previous HAL sailing back in 2001; and had nothing to do with our platinum status (multiple sailings) on Carnival.

Now I'm really confused.. :confused:

Hmmmmm, We're 1* on HAL and looking forward to another HAL sailing in September. Until now, I assumed that our 1* status was based on our one previous HAL sailing back in 2001; and had nothing to do with our platinum status (multiple sailings) on Carnival.

Now I'm really confused.. :confused:

You are one star until you have enough days to reach 2 star. (75 days if I recall correctly which includes you days sailed, class of cabin and cruise spending). You can check your status by logging in to the HAL site.

I called HAL to ask about getting the 1* based on my Carnival cruises. They asked for my Carnival info, and then gave me a Mariner Club number (and the 1* status). I got my kid's Mariner Club number at the same time. I then gave both numbers to our TA, to be sure they were linked with our reservation. It only took a few minutes, and the numbers now appear on our booking.

You can even buy a round for the house! ;p You can buy for anyone you want, as it is your money. And yes, whatever is not used is refunded.

thanks RuthC! I'm on the "Grand Asia" this fall for my first HAL cruise and am just trying to learn the 'system'. I appreciate all the helpful comments you post.

Is the hot water machine in lido available for self serve 24 hour? I may get some hot water in my mug before bed. I can't remember is HAL or other line totally shut off lido after dinner time. Thanks again

Is the hot water machine in lido available for self serve 24 hour? I may get some hot water in my mug before bed. I can't remember is HAL or other line totally shut off lido after dinner time. Thanks again

On every HAL ship I've been on (all but 4 of them), they are available 24/7.

The Lido Market Beverage Station has tea, cocoa, and coffee (regular and decaf) available 24/7. I usually fill my steel thermos with hot coffee just before retiring so that hot coffee will be available when our feet touch the stateroom floor in the AM.

Is there live music every night at BB King and the Piano Bar on the Oosterdam? What time do these close each night? Not looking for a party scene just hoping to be entertained till around 11:00 PM or so.

Is there live music every night at BB King and the Piano Bar on the Oosterdam? What time do these close each night? Not looking for a party scene just hoping to be entertained till around 11:00 PM or so.

BBKings performs on most nights. There were a couple of nights on our 30 day cruise when they didn't perform but the remainder were the same.

If memory serves, there were 3 sets. 8:45 pm, 9:45 pm and 10:45 pm. So the music went beyond 11 pm and sometimes later.

The band performed in the Ocean Bar with a couple of nights off but they performed the nights that BB Kings didn't.

Stryker performed at the piano bar on our cruise and if the crowd was enthusiastic and large enough he continued playing and singing well past the scheduled closing time. On the transatlantic portion he performed to around 1 am on many nights.

Hope this helps.

Wanted to ask that question too.

I called Mariner's Society, they verified with Carnival and assigned me the 1 star. They also verified that we would be getting the first day lunch and champagne brunch and she also mentioned an incite to a cocktail party on /around the first day (?).

Usually, the dining room is open to all however there can be exceptions depending on if TA's are onboard to view the ship, too many 4 and 5* mariners, etc.

That is exactly what the rep at the Mariner's society told me.

Plus some cocktail party invite....that I have not read of heard of from anyone here.