New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

FTR, I put a cabin on hold yesterday and emailed the info to my PCC. He couldn't transfer it to himself. I had to call and cancel, then he rebooked for me.

I meant to ask him about the spa cabins and whether that gives you discounts on spa treatments.

And, I asked earlier but haven't seen a response - what's the current rate for the thermal suite package (for a solo) for 11-nights? Anyone got an idea?

I can tell you the thermal suite is $299 (or $499 for a couple) for 14 nights, so probably just a little less than that.

Thanks. Just another way solo cruisers get gouged.

There's absolutely no justification to charge less per person for a couple. :mad:

With so many ports, I'll probably just wait and do a day pass, if available, on a day when we're in a port I've visited multiple times.

FTR, I put a cabin on hold yesterday and emailed the info to my PCC. He couldn't transfer it to himself. I had to call and cancel, then he rebooked for me.

I meant to ask him about the spa cabins and whether that gives you discounts on spa treatments.

And, I asked earlier but haven't seen a response - what's the current rate for the thermal suite package (for a solo) for 11-nights? Anyone got an idea?

Your PCC did not want to go through the 5 minutes or so of work to transfer it to himself:(

The 2 times I booked on line directly was because the specific stateroom I wanted was available (very rare for that to happen) and I could not wait for her to either email me back or call me, so I put a 24 hour hold on the cruise.

Both times she was able to transfer it to herself. She was not that thrilled to do so, but she did. She said it takes about 5 minutes or so and it means having to go through a bit of backtracking and more, but it can be done. Since she has done it for us twice now, I know your PCC can do it also, if he wishes to go through the work to keep you a happy cruiser. Ours obviously likes to keep us happy:)

Joanie

I have been given to understand that you will get spending credit but only after the cruise is complete, not before to add stars to your status.:confused:

That's correct. Whether booked in advance of sailing, or booked on the ship, the Mariner Day bonus credits are credited to your Mariner number after the cruise ends (it takes a few days to be tabulated and credited).

After all, if the Days were credited when the booking was made, there would be nothing to stop someone from canceling the booking, but using the benefits of the bonus Days.

I, too, am contemplating booking the thermal suite for our December cruise aboard the Eurodam. Do most of you book it for the week, or just for sea days?

Also, do the Lido Cabanas have windows that can be opened, or curtains that can be shut to offer more privacy from the pool?

No to the windows opening. Yes to curtains that are closable. I believe that they can get rather warm in them because of the humidity and heat generated by the people and water...... Not sure if a fan can be had. I know that of the people who've rented one and reported back here to us, 1/2 are happy with it and would do it again and the other 1/2 say never again, they were miserable.

Either way, only you can know and then only after you try it once. Hope that made sense...

Joanie

That's correct. Whether booked in advance of sailing, or booked on the ship, the Mariner Day bonus credits are credited to your Mariner number after the cruise ends (it takes a few days to be tabulated and credited).

After all, if the Days were credited when the booking was made, there would be nothing to stop someone from canceling the booking, but using the benefits of the bonus Days.

Thanks RuthC! I thought I understood that from a previous thread I asked a question on but got a little confused by CrewNews' previous answer. First HAL cruise for me this fall and this is the first cruise "loyalty" program I have been a part of. Appreciate the info. Rick

I, too, am contemplating booking the thermal suite for our December cruise aboard the Eurodam. Do most of you book it for the week, or just for sea days?

Also, do the Lido Cabanas have windows that can be opened, or curtains that can be shut to offer more privacy from the pool?

I would definitely recommend the retreat cabana over the lido cabana. We loved the retreat cabanas, but when it was too windy one day they moved us to a lido cabana just for day, we thought it was too warm and claustrophobic.

And I know this comes us often but can't find it now - what's the current price for the thermal suite for a solo cruiser (11 night sailing)? I bought a day pass on Z'dam and enjoyed it but since I typically spend port days out and about, I don't know that I'd get my money's worth from a full pass.

Check with your roll call to see who'd like to share. You don't need to be an actual couple to take advantage of the couples pass.

Also, I can't remember the exact amount off the top of my head, but you get something like a 25% discount if you buy the pass as soon as you get onboard.

I like to book for the whole cruise. Sometimes it's nice to pop in for a short time like after supper and shows or after an excursion but before dinner when you probably want to shower and get wet anyway. I'm not a morning person, but you could also go before breakfast.

It is also really nice to take your time and do the thalassotherapy pool, then the thermal loungers, then the steam room and maybe even repeat the whole process while sipping your tea or infused water! It's hard to go on a port day and really enjoy yourself then realize you could have done this everyday even if for a short time. You can also check with the spa staff to see if there will be any deals. For example, on an Oosterdam cruise, there was a ladie's night special with a facial, hair mask and thermal suite pass (with champagne!) on the second night of a 10 day cruise. If we wanted to, we could book the thermal suite pass that night for half of the cost. The ladie's night package and the thermal suite pass together were less than just the thermal suite pass. It doesn't hurt to ask.

However, they only sell a certain number of passes you you might want to book them on line before you go.

Check with your roll call to see who'd like to share. You don't need to be an actual couple to take advantage of the couples pass.

Also, I can't remember the exact amount off the top of my head, but you get something like a 25% discount if you buy the pass as soon as you get onboard.

Agree, I have shared with another person on our roll call. We travel as a couple but DH has no use for the spa.

There is usually a discount offered on day 1 onboard and, sometimes, but not often, if not enough sign up a further discount a few days into the cruise.

When I have used it, I've had no problems signing up on day 1 onboard, but, it is often sold out on day 1 as they limit capacity.

Does anyone know if my husband and I both own more than 100 shares of CCL separately, do we both get $100 ship board credit if we stay in the same stateroom? Or only one of us will get the $100 credit per one stateroom? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if my husband and I both own more than 100 shares of CCL separately, do we both get $100 ship board credit if we stay in the same stateroom? Or only one of us will get the $100 credit per one stateroom? Thanks

$100 credit is per stateroom and not per passenger.

Does anyone know the price they paid for seven days?

The pass is $249 for two people but there are only 40 slots available at this price on Embarkation Day we learned on our ship tour today on the Noordam.

If I want to use the ship board credit for massage, do I have to book when we get on the ship? Is there anyway to use it online and book the massage in advance ?

If I want to use the ship board credit for massage, do I have to book when we get on the ship? Is there anyway to use it online and book the massage in advance ?

If you want to use ship board credit AKA on board credit - you need to wait until you get on the ship.

Any services (whether they be beverage cards, specialty dinners, spa) booked in advance on line or by phone with HAL are charged to your credit card.

Ship board credit is only to be used once you are on board.

hope this helps.

Thinking about booking a date/time in the pinnacle restaurant on the Veendam. Is it open for lunch on sea days? Someone mentioned going there for lunch and when I try to schedule it only gives evening options. Anyone have first hand experience re this. Thanks.

Thinking about booking a date/time in the pinnacle restaurant on the Veendam. Is it open for lunch on sea days? Someone mentioned going there for lunch and when I try to schedule it only gives evening options. Anyone have first hand experience re this. Thanks.

You can only book dinner on line. You have to wait until you are onboard to book lunch.

Once you are on board, you can book your lunch at the Pinnacle Grill. $10 pp and a great deal IMO.

Love the lunch and a great way to spend a bit of time on a sea day.

You will love the Pinnacle. Fabulous food and service. Just spent a month on the Volendam and loved it. Got off the Volendam after a months tour of Asia then stayed at the Ritz Carlton (more than fabulous) in Hong Kong for 4 days and boarded the Queen Mary 2 for 6 weeks Hong Kong to Southhampton. Would never sail on QM2 again. We are so spoiled by Holland Americans service and great friendliness that being on the QM2 was painful.

Experts:

Regarding the Vegetarian Menu for the Main Dining Room... it looks very interesting and somewhat better than the vegetarian offerings on the regular MDR menu, does one need to request/reserve items off this Veg Menu in advance? I saw the great menus posted in another post, :);)