so does DH have to wear.....

amazinglife

So given the prohibited items in this paragraph you posted, what is left to wear that is not covered under "smart casual" dress code?

Those items only refer to the restaurant, you are misinterpreting them completely. The sentence before deals with restaurants only and the sentence after deals with restaurants only. Therefore based upon basic English the sentence you are referring to refers ONLY to restaurants. That is the was it has been for seven years ever since Celebrity changed their dress codes from three forms of evening dress to two.

After 30 plus cruises the novelty has worn off for him. On Princess he goes to the MDR on formal nights in dress shirt and pants. No blazer, no tie. He has never been told to leave.

Plus, we only want to bring one luggage so weight is a concern.

This is his first time on X.

K let the flames begin lol

We are with you! DH doesn't like to go formal either. Nice shirt and tie!

Does he "have to"...of course not.

He has three choices: (1) He can wear formal attire anyways like the vast majority of other patrons who follow the dress code; (2) he can dine in an alternative venue where formal attire is not part of the dress code or; (3) he can ignore the code in disregard of the other passengers who follow it and take his chances as to whether it will cause an admittance issue or not.

Oh...one more...instead of wearing a suit or blazer he can wear a tux or formal dinner jacket!!

Very nicely stated!! Thank you. You are always the voice of reason.

We are with you! DH doesn't like to go formal either. Nice shirt and tie!

That's the problem! It's not what I prefer, or you prefer, or what someone else prefers. It's what Celebrity prefers to require or not require in the MDR on formal nights. I would personally prefer the elimination of Formal Nights and Captain's Tables, but that's only my personal preference. Celebrity can do this if they choose. They can expand Formal Nights if they choose. Their company (actually Shareholders Company), their ships, their rules. I have the freedom to either accept their rules and cruise their ships, or I can go to another line that meets my wants, needs and expectations. However, a policy that is not enforced is not a policy, it's merely a suggestion.

Edited by Orator

That's the problem! It's not what I prefer, or you prefer, or what someone else prefers. It's what Celebrity prefers to require or not require in the MDR on formal nights. I would personally prefer the elimination of Formal Nights and Captain's Tables, but that's only my personal preference. Celebrity can do this if they choose. They can expand Formal Nights if they choose. Their company (actually Shareholders Company), their ships, their rules. I have the freedom to either accept their rules and cruise their ships, or I can go to another line that meets my wants, needs and expectations. However, a policy that is not enforced is not a policy, it's merely a suggestion.

I concur with Orator completely its about rules and it works both ways. In my earlier post I was only trying to pass on what the rules are as far as dress in the rest of the ship and there basically aren't any. Its important that people be given the correct information either way. I have my own feelings, follow the rules on the ship and don't care what other people wear but many of us are on this board for years and only want the correct info put out there.

is a Jacket WITHOUT a tie ok?

Yup, surprisingly a tie is not required if you opt for a Suit or Jacket (some men obviously find much joy in this fact)

On the other hand if you choose to go with a Tux or Dinner Jacket... Then one would look out of form without a bowtie

Cheers!

Yup, surprisingly a tie is not required if you opt for a Suit or Jacket (some men obviously find much joy in this fact)

On the other hand if you choose to go with a Tux or Dinner Jacket... Then one would look out of form without a bowtie

Cheers!

I'm certainly not an expert from GQ, but there are perfectly fine options to the classic bowtie when dressed in formalwear.

Most people understand what the word formal means and generally do their best to comply with the dress code. Good manners and good taste can't be enforced and other than giving people the correct information when asked, there's not much more to say.

The great majority of cruisers will do what is expected and the others will do as they please. Let's face it, most of these questions are only asked to stir the pot. Once on board, it's no one else's problem. The staff doesn't like confrontation, so confrontational people often have their way.

Most people understand what the word formal means and generally do their best to comply with the dress code. Good manners and good taste can't be enforced and other than giving people the correct information when asked, there's not much more to say.

The great majority of cruisers will do what is expected and the others will do as they please. Let's face it, most of these questions are only asked to stir the pot. Once on board, it's no one else's problem. The staff doesn't like confrontation, so confrontational people often have their way.

Celebrity has the ability to deal with the confrontational passenger. I doubt that they would want that type of personality on their ships. Some people have been banned for life for confrontational behavior and I know that you know some of the names. I can almost guarantee that if Corporate instructed the Maître 'd at the jeopardy of their jobs, as they did in Blu, there would be universal enforcement of the rules. I would suggest that word of strict enforcement would circulate quite quickly and fewer would try to test the system. The rules should be abandoned if they can not be enforced. Again, I really don't care what the rules are and would not be sad to see Formal Nights end. The responsibility for the rules belongs to Celebrity.

Edited by Orator

Celebrity has the ability to deal with the confrontational passenger. I doubt that they would want that type of personality on their ships. Some people have been banned for life for confrontational behavior and I know that you know some of the names. I can almost guarantee that if Corporate instructed the Maître 'd at the jeopardy of their jobs, as they did in Blu, there would be universal enforcement of the rules. I would suggest that word of strict enforcement would circulate quite quickly and fewer would try to test the system. The rules should be abandoned if they can not be enforced. Again, I really don't care what the rules are and would not be sad to see Formal Nights end. The responsibility for the rules belongs to Celebrity.

I disagree that they should be abandoned since it's only a small percentage that don't comply and I also know many of the staff who will turn people away.

Edited by Ma Bell

I concur with Orator completely its about rules and it works both ways. In my earlier post I was only trying to pass on what the rules are as far as dress in the rest of the ship and there basically aren't any. Its important that people be given the correct information either way. I have my own feelings, follow the rules on the ship and don't care what other people wear but many of us are on this board for years and only want the correct info put out there.

Alas, too often the correct information can't get in the way of those who have all of....never mind.

Edited by richsea

I disagree that they should be abandoned since it's only a small percentage that don't comply and I also know many of the staff who will turn people away.

Then enforce without exception. "Many staff" turning away people is not enough, it must be all staff. Should be easy to do if as you say quite correctly that "only a small percentage don't comply"Can't have it both ways. Exceptions don't prove rules, they disprove them. The ball is really in Celebrity's court.

One last piece of information. I have had a number of discussions with RMs and HDs on several ships. There was a meeting of RMs in Miami about two years ago and enforcement was on the agenda. It was proclaimed, or decided, that there would be uniform enforcement of the rules. Clearly this has not happened on all cruises.

Edited by Orator

The idea that they should just throw out rules because they don't get full enforcement seems kind of short sighted to me. Should they just let people smoke everywhere because some people get away with it? How about smuggling booze. Should they just change the rules because some don't get caught? How about chair hogs, people bringing other kinds of contraband, etc, etc?

Edited by Ma Bell

The idea that they should just throw out rules because they don't get full enforcement seems kind of short sighted to me. Should they just let people smoke everywhere because some people get away with it? How about smuggling booze. Should they just change the rules because some don't get caught?

Absolutely! If your rules are not workable or practical you need to revise them so that they will be effective. Think about all the laws in the US that have been changed primarily because they could not be enforced.

I love the "what Celebrity requires" or "what Celebrity requests" and the "in deference to your host" posts.

What Celebrity wants is simple: Revenue. And they want to maximize that in every way possible. Why, pray tell, do you think that Formal Attire is no longer required or requested in the Specialty Restaurants, Blu, areas of the ship other than the dining rooms, etc., etc., etc.? It is because they want to satisfy as many people as possible in as many ways as possible.

Want to think you are James Bond in your dashing evening wear? Handled.

Want to dress resort casual and not be tied to formal clothing? Handled.

Want to dress completely casually and still have dinner? Handled.

The day will come (and probably in the not too distant future) where the whole formal gig will be completely optional. That is the direction that the target demographic is headed. And yes, I am well aware that your 22 year old cousin's son just ADORES dressing in his tux, but Celebrity is looking at the big picture, not some small segment of it.

I think Royal Caribbean handled this situation perfectly on their new Quantum of the seas. No formal nights per se, however one restaurant that is formal every night for those that want to dress up.

I would certainly like celebrity to take something similar to that approach. Many men, myself included don't want to go to the expense and weight a tux or dinner jacket adds ( and please no one tell me the weight is minimal, my complete tux outfit weighs twelve pounds, which is a considerable percentage of a fifty pound airline weight allowance) but still want to dine in the main dining room.

I really don't understand people being upset with a decent travel blazer dress shirt and khakis.

One more thing usually the best MDR menus are on formal nights so please bare that in mind when someone advises another to go to a specialty restaurant or the buffet.

Edited by maxsales

Orator I think your correct on the dress code. I was once told by the head waiter on a celebrity how come I was not there for formal and I told him we did not want to get dress up, and his responce to me was that I should have come because he would have serve us.

I think Royal Caribbean handled this situation perfectly on their new Quantum of the seas. No formal nights per se, however one restaurant that is formal every night for those that want to dress up.

I would certainly like celebrity to take something similar to that approach. Many men, myself included don't want to go to the expense and weight a tux or dinner jacket adds ( and please no one tell me the weight is minimal, my complete tux outfit weighs twelve pounds, which is a considerable percentage of a fifty pound airline weight allowance) but still want to dine in the main dining room.

I really don't understand people being upset with a decent travel blazer dress shirt and khakis.

One more thing usually the best MDR menus are on formal nights so please bare that in mind when someone advises another to go to a specialty restaurant or the buffet.

Excellent point. I have long felt that Quantum will be a test for Celebrity. If the no MDR concept works there as it has worked on NCL you can bet that any Celebrity new build will reflect the concept.

Absolutely! If your rules are not workable or practical you need to revise them so that they will be effective. Think about all the laws in the US that have been changed primarily because they could not be enforced.

So if a small percentage doesn't comply we should just do away with all rules. Wow. A sad commentary.

So if a small percentage doesn't comply we should just do away with all rules. Wow. A sad commentary.

You are misreading what I've said. I've laid out specific suggestions on what could be done to discourage rule breakers and have said that it's up to Celebrity to decide what they want to do. Once again, they do not need to change the rules as they are written if they enforce them! Passengers don't decide what rules Celebrity will enforce and how they enforce them: Celebrity does.

Edited by Orator