Just got info from another cruiser on a volcano

We were on a TA in 2010 during the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull. By the time we were ready to fly back from Europe all was well and planes were flying. But when we were in Iceland this past May we drove by Eyjafjallajokull, and took photos of the volcano and the lovely farm in the foreground. Given the havoc it caused it was fun to actually see it.

Yikes. :eek:

Will some kind person in Iceland please put a cork in it

We're flying trans-Atlantic next week.

If later it prevents us from coming home for a week or two, that suits us fine :cool:

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

No reason to panic yet - the Bárðarbunga eruptions is not expected to produce the abundant fine ash capable of being transported long distances through the atmosphere as for the Eyjafjoell eruption in April 2010

link to article

I was flying via Reykjavik April 19, 2010 from Boston to Stockholm - one of the few routes in operation in Europe during the eruption.

Eyjafjoell eruption seen from Iceland Air flight from Reykjavik to Stockholm (picture to the left)

island1.jpgisland2.jpg

Bárðarbunga is a good distance from Reykjavik and any other ports a cruise ship might visit. If it blows, it could affect flights to Europe, like a few years ago

That's the risk, it shut things down a few years back.

That's the risk, it shut things down a few years back.

True. If it blows.

I've been hearing Katla (much bigger volcano) is "overdue and ready to blow) for the past couple of years. I wouldn't worry about it. We're making plans to go back to Iceland in 2015. If a volcano blows before we go we'll change our plans, but the chances it will affect us while we're there, or that it will affect anyone else in particular en route to Europe are pretty darn small.

How many good travel months have there been to Europe in the past 10 years?

No point in worrying about it. There was a TV interview with an Icelandic seismologist on the news yesterday. They don't know if it is going to erupt. They are currently monitoring the situation.

Why start getting stressed about something that may or may not happen. Just go on your holiday and enjoy.

I was wondering how close the golden circle tour is to the volcano? Any chance that would be cancelled or a ship would be unable to visit Reykjavik if it does go? As far as not worrying about it, planning ahead isn't worrying, it's thinking ahead, lol.

My motto "being forewarned is forearmed". Here's the spot that can keep you updated. http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2947

There are maps that show the evacuation zone involved. The Golden Circle tour is really just outside of Reyjkavik, and not near the volcanos.

Of course, one volcanic correction/ seismic activity could rattle all the others that are over due to blow.

Myvatn is going to open their shelter, so cruisers berthing there, may see some increased population/activity etc. The areas involved have already been evacuated.

I forgot to add.. If I was doing a land vacation here, I would be monitoring and changing my routes :)

fyi for all you landlubbers http://www.almannavarnir.is/displayer.asp?cat_id=133

Edited by 3Kittens

Just checking news, and Iceland continues to prepare for volcano to blow. Apparently Dettifoss is still open to tourists, because they have a 6hr window to evacuate that area prior to flooding.

Don't know what to say….. guess it's a wait and see approach.:(

I'd be much more concerned in the Myvatn area than at Dettifoss. There's a whole city in Myvatn, along with hot springs and great hiking and climbing, and it's much closer to the area of concern than Dettifoss is, which is just an attraction with nothing else in the neighborhood.

I wouldn't worry too much. There are plenty of other volcanoes around the world that are currently erupting and are in the orange ash state all the time. Sometimes they even hit red. However, in most cases air traffic can be routed around them. The last time I remember an actual disruption was when one of the Indonesian volcanoes put a hiccup in Australia-South America air traffic. Even if Bárðarbunga erupts, the effect on air traffic will depend a lot on wind conditions, just as it did with Eyjafjallajökull.

I agree with the previous posters that it's certainly worth being wary if you're on a land trip in the area or downstream from the glacier, since the risk of jökulhlaups (flash glacial flooding, created when the eruption melts the ice under the glacier and eventually breaks free in a single deluge) is very serious in sub-glacial eruptions.

Anyone know how easy it is to get to Copenhagen from Germany? The way the air currents are for this week, if it blows soon it could effect Scotland and Englad. With next weeks forecasted current it could effect the scandanavian airports . Our flight over is on the 6th and I think I just need to be aware of other routes to get there since it is now sub- glacial and melting the glacier.

Anyone know how easy it is to get to Copenhagen from Germany? The way the air currents are for this week, if it blows soon it could effect Scotland and Englad. With next weeks forecasted current it could effect the scandanavian airports . Our flight over is on the 6th and I think I just need to be aware of other routes to get there since it is now sub- glacial and melting the glacier.

I wasn't worried before--just keeping track. but, we have a flight to Heathrow on Wednesday night. arrg. Yes--we have insurance. . . and we booked the flight through Royal Caribbean's Choice Air, but it is not looking good.

From where in Germany? Berlin? If Berlin, Train with Deutche Bahn:

There are three alternatives

Berlin-Copenhagen, changes required at Hamburg and Flensburg.

Berlin-Copenhagen, changes required at Hamburg and Lübeck

Berlin-Copenhagen, direct no changes.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?revia=yes&existOptimizePrice=1&country=DEU&dbkanal_007=L01_S01_D001_KIN0001_qf-bahn_LZ003&ignoreTypeCheck=yes&S=Berlin+Hbf&REQ0JourneyStopsSID=&REQ0JourneyStopsS0A=7&Z=Kopenhagen+Hbf&REQ0JourneyStopsZID=&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0A=7&trip-type=single&date=Sa%2C+06.09.14&time=08%3A00&timesel=depart&returnTimesel=depart&optimize=0&travelProfile=-1&adult-number=1&children-number=0&infant-number=0&tariffTravellerType.1=E&tariffTravellerReductionClass.1=0&tariffTravellerAge.1=&qf-trav-bday-1=&tariffTravellerReductionClass.2=0&tariffTravellerReductionClass.3=0&tariffTravellerReductionClass.4=0&tariffTravellerReductionClass.5=0&tariffClass=2&start=1&qf.bahn.button.suchen=

From Frankfurt am Main Airport (FRA/EDDF): There are two options:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?revia=yes&existOptimizePrice=1&country=DEU&dbkanal_007=L01_S01_D001_KIN0001_qf-bahn_LZ003&ignoreTypeCheck=yes&S=Frankfurt%28M%29Flughafen&REQ0JourneyStopsSID=&REQ0JourneyStopsS0A=7&Z=Kopenhagen+Hbf&REQ0JourneyStopsZID=&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0A=7&trip-type=single&date=Sa%2C+06.09.14&time=09%3A00&timesel=depart&returnTimesel=depart&optimize=0&travelProfile=-1&adult-number=1&children-number=0&infant-number=0&tariffTravellerType.1=E&tariffTravellerReductionClass.1=0&tariffTravellerAge.1=&qf-trav-bday-1=&tariffTravellerReductionClass.2=0&tariffTravellerReductionClass.3=0&tariffTravellerReductionClass.4=0&tariffTravellerReductionClass.5=0&tariffClass=2&start=1&qf.bahn.button.suchen=

Either FRA-Fulda-Hamburg-Copenhagen journey time about 10 hours or FRA-Hamburg-Copenhagen. Journey time about 9 ½ hours.

Edited by Desdichado62

Still no reason for panic: "The "code red" warning signifies that an eruption is imminent or in progress. The aviation authorities have declared a no-fly zone around the volcano, but have not shut down Icelandic or European airspace."