Passport expiry question

wencam

Have a question regarding passport expiry. This may not be the correct forum, and I'm relatively new to this, but thought I would start here!

My DH's passport (Canadian) expires on April 28, 2015. Our cruise is Nov 1 to Nov 8, 2014 on the Summit

I have researched passport requirements for the ports we will be visiting and find the following:

Nov 1 - San Juan, PR - passport rule for Canadians: must be valid until departure from that territory. So we're good here

Nov 3 - Barbados - passport rule for Canadians: I cannot find specific validity information regarding passport being valid up to certain date after departure from Barbados, just that you need a valid passport. Should I assume that there is no specific requirement with respect to passport expiry date??

Nov 4 - St. Lucia - passport rule for Canadians: passport must be valid for at least 3 months from date of departure from this country. We're good here

Nov 5 - Antigua - passport rule for Canadians: passport must be valid for at least 6 months from date of departure fom this country. With this in mind, I calculate that my DH will be 7 days SHORT of the 6mos requirement!

Nov 6 - St. Maarten - passport rule for Canadians: passport must be valid for 3 months beyond departure date from this country. We're ok here.

Nov 7 - St. Thomas - passport rule for Canadians: passport must be valid until date of departure from the USVI. So again, we're ok here.

My question is this, hoping that some of our fellow Canadians and/or CC experts may be able to help with. Should we get a new passport given that my DH's passport will be ONLY 7 days shy of the 6mos requirement after departure from Antiqua on Nov 5??

I asked our TA and she said yes you better go and get a new passport. But honestly, do you think we really have to do so??:confused:

If you have the time to get this done now even if you have to expedite it, I'd recommend doing so. You will need the new passport sooner or later and will have to forego the old passport at some point. Also, rules are put in place for a reason. IT'S POSSIBLE that it won't matter for 6 days, but then again, do you want to find out the hard way when it is too late to do anything about it?

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Edited by vulcan1971

I'd say if you are going to eventually renew it, may as well do it now and be done to be safe all around.

The enforcement of the validity clause is definitely a YMMV situation, some may enforce sometimes and others not. Not sure if X will let you on the ship if you don't meet regulatory requirements.

Airlines , for example, get fined by countries who allow people to travel without meeting the regulatory requirements, I'd assumer same applies to travel by Ship. Therefore I'd assume the ships to be pretty vigilant on enforcement.

Fellow Canuck here. I would get the new one . You can now get the 10 year version!! We have always been told that 6 months was the rule. You will need to do it when you get back anyway

So true that it has to be renewed anyway.

Guess I was trying to cut corners but probably not a good idea! LOL

Yes that New 10 year option would be best!:D

I'm a pretty cautious, better-safe-than-sorry person; however, I'm not finding anything from an official Antigua & Barbuda website stating the 6-month rule. I found a mention on a Government of Canada website, and I found a mention on a visa site (didn't appear to be official) which stated the 6-month validity was recommended, but not required.

I personally would be calling the Antigua & Barbuda consulate to confirm exactly what are their entry requirements.

Was pleasantly surprised on renewing our 10 year passport because of the 6months rule that they added the extra months to the passport but might just be a British thing.

IE our passport came back valid for 10 years and 5 months so we did not loose out by early renewal.

Have a question regarding passport expiry. This may not be the correct forum, and I'm relatively new to this, but thought I would start here!

My DH's passport (Canadian) expires on April 28, 2015. Our cruise is Nov 1 to Nov 8, 2014 on the Summit

I have researched passport requirements for the ports we will be visiting and find the following:

Nov 1 - San Juan, PR - passport rule for Canadians: must be valid until departure from that territory. So we're good here

Nov 3 - Barbados - passport rule for Canadians: I cannot find specific validity information regarding passport being valid up to certain date after departure from Barbados, just that you need a valid passport. Should I assume that there is no specific requirement with respect to passport expiry date??

Nov 4 - St. Lucia - passport rule for Canadians: passport must be valid for at least 3 months from date of departure from this country. We're good here

Nov 5 - Antigua - passport rule for Canadians: passport must be valid for at least 6 months from date of departure fom this country. With this in mind, I calculate that my DH will be 7 days SHORT of the 6mos requirement!

Nov 6 - St. Maarten - passport rule for Canadians: passport must be valid for 3 months beyond departure date from this country. We're ok here.

Nov 7 - St. Thomas - passport rule for Canadians: passport must be valid until date of departure from the USVI. So again, we're ok here.

My question is this, hoping that some of our fellow Canadians and/or CC experts may be able to help with. Should we get a new passport given that my DH's passport will be ONLY 7 days shy of the 6mos requirement after departure from Antiqua on Nov 5??

I asked our TA and she said yes you better go and get a new passport. But honestly, do you think we really have to do so??:confused:

Why stress over it. Isn't it simpler to just renew? :)

I filled out the pdf form for renewal on my computer then printed it out. The form can be found on Passport Canada's website: http://passport.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=eng

Once done, I brought my old passport, 2 photos, the form and my credit card for payment to a Service Canada outlet near my home (no need to go to a Passport Canada office, unless you require a rush). I waited about 20 minutes in the waiting room.

Passport Canada is in the middle of a renewal glut right now. 5 years ago the USA required all Canadians to have a passport or Nexus card if crossing the border. There was a big rush to get passports back then and guess what?- all those passports are now expiring and need to be renewed. I was told on Aug 1st when I applied not to expect my passport until Sept 8th. Since you are leaving in November, you can afford to wait and avoid the rush processing fees, but your DH should apply very soon!

The 10 year version is $40 more than the 5 year one- totally worth it!

Yes, definitely renew now for peace of mind. The Passport office we use is near the Vancouver airport. When we renewed last time the woman who served us said you wouldn't believe the amount of people who come straight from the airport having been denied boarding because there was less than 6 months left on their passport. they plead and cry for something to be issued immediately to no avail. Their flight is lost and whatever followed it. I'm glad to hear the 10 yr passports are now available. It's about time.

I think your answer on Nov 5th answers your question. Get a new one today.

Thanks everyone - definitely going to renew!:)
Good decision.

It is so much easier and stress-free simply to renew early and be done with it rather than needlessly wasting time and energy checking out the time requirements for each port, wondering and worrying about it.

Fellow Canadian here...

Glad to hear that you've made the decision to renew (easy breezey and quick if you do in person vs a mail in)

Trust me you don't need the stress / headache otherwise

As another poster wrote Customs & Immigration around the world are not known for their negotiating skills

And US Homeland Security even less so...

That would be WHO you'd be dealing with in San Juan... They'd be making the decision on whether you sail away on that Celebrity Ship on what us known as a "closed circuit" US Cruise

You've made the right decision. And ya I'd go for the 10 year Passport... Better value if you are a Traveller

Enjoy your cruise on The Summit... We did that Itinerary in 2013, and it was awesome !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Always understood that the rules were different on a closed loop cruise.

I had three months left on my passport last year .(Canadian)

I was told that there would be no proplem as the six months was a recommendation and not a requirement for cruise stops in the Caribbean.

I visited the islands mentioned and had no issues whatsoever

Renew! On a South America tour one couple's Brazil visa had run out a few days before and the whole group was held up. As someone noted Customs & Immigration don't negotiate well.

A lot of countries require that 6 month window now.

Jay

Renewing it is the best decision. It's not worth the stress of thinking...what if?

The biggest trauma is the new picture. Just renewed mine and took three pictures before I could finally accept the way I looked at 56 and 66....is what it is!