Drink Package Confusion

I just got off the RCCL site and was booking the Ultimate drink pkg and $55.00/day for both of us, well to my shock the total was $885.50, not the $770.00 I was expecting!! I cancelled it and called RCCL and now I wait for a call back!

You got me confused now because the Ultimate package was $65/day and the Premium was $55/day.

You got me confused now because the Ultimate package was $65/day and the Premium was $55/day.

The ultimate package is now priced at $55 per day with the 15% gratuity being added in at checkout, the premium is $49 per day before gratuity/service charge is added in.

The ultimate package is now priced at $55 per day with the 15% gratuity being added in at checkout, the premium is $49 per day before gratuity/service charge is added in.

Thanks, I didn't know if the poster was referring to old or new prices.

When I started seeing the posts a few days ago about the potential price changes, I logged into "My Cruises" and selected my upcoming September cruise. I went to purchase the Premium package just to see what the cost would display as, and it was still priced at the old $55 per day price, so I put it into my shopping cart. I logged off without purchasing it but left it in the cart. I checked yesterday and it was still there, and still at the $55 price. Today I looked and it's still in the cart but now says "Price Change" in red letters and it's coming up at the $56.35 per day price (which as we all now know is the new $49 price plus 15% gratuity).

The extra dollar-and-change per day doesn't bother me, but just out of curiosity I called RCI to see if they would honor the price that it first went into my cart at. The rep there had no idea that the price had changed, then put me on hold for five minutes and finally came back on and told me that there was no price change, and that the difference was due to sales tax. I then asked him what state had a 15% sales tax, because mine certainly doesn't, and he became very confused and wanted to transfer me to another area. I said no thanks.

...The rep there had no idea that the price had changed, then put me on hold for five minutes and finally came back on and told me that there was no price change, and that the difference was due to sales tax...

This sounds like another one of those "throw the dart at a list of stock responses on the wall" situations.

Edited by clarea

It looks like Royal changes this every week or two so the confusion is not surprising.

I just logged into my booking and see offers of $35, $49, $55 (Select, Premium, Ultimate) per day. Add it to the cart and it shows that price x the number of days and on a separate line it has the 15% service charge which makes it $40.25, $56.35, and $63.25 per day.

At least they use service charge and not gratuity. :)

I just got off the RCCL site and was booking the Ultimate drink pkg and $55.00/day for both of us, well to my shock the total was $885.50, not the $770.00 I was expecting!! I cancelled it and called RCCL and now I wait for a call back!

Sorry, the Ultimate package use to cost 65/day including tips and now costs 63.25/day including tips, a small reduction but maybe not the $10 one you'd hoped. You can rather pay 55 for it and rather not need to tip but that's not what RCCL is selling.

If you thought you'd get value out of a drink package and like paying around 55/day, consider the premium package, gets you close at 49*1.15=56.35/day.

If none of these seem like a good deal as they are currently being sold, you don't don't have to buy a package, buy the old fashioned way, when you are thirsty for a drink, hand them a card and order what you like.

That's not true. I have had the Premium package twice and was not charged anything extra for gratuity either time.

You were charged the 15% gratuity but it was included in the price. Now it seems that they have lowered the price by 15% and then tack on the gratuity. It amounts to about the same cost, they are just breaking down the cost. RCI will always get their 15% in the end. It is just creating confusion because no one at RCI knew it was happening.

That's not true. I have had the Premium package twice and was not charged anything extra for gratuity either time.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Gratuity was included in the price before whether you paid attention or not.

Now it's just separated out. My guess is it probably was just an accounting thing that Royal had to do. Before the percentage of tips was not spelled out and some accountant or auditor pointed out the loophole. This makes it much simpler to define what they pay taxes on and what they charge their employees taxes on.

As for the price change, eh. I explained it to a member of our group that his drink package for the week was probably going to cost $9 more and he laughed. Still cheaper than buying them one at a time.

Based on Wolfcathorse's experience on Enchantment this past weekend, I'm now leaning towards the theory that they have indeed broken out the gratuity charge and also raised the prices a bit too. I initially thought it was yet another website glitch, but I think this is just Royal's typical lack of timely, accurate, corporate wide communication.

Well said. They give very little and nickel and dime us for everything.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Gratuity was included in the price before whether you paid attention or not.

Now it's just separated out. My guess is it probably was just an accounting thing that Royal had to do. Before the percentage of tips was not spelled out and some accountant or auditor pointed out the loophole. This makes it much simpler to define what they pay taxes on and what they charge their employees taxes on.

As for the price change, eh. I explained it to a member of our group that his drink package for the week was probably going to cost $9 more and he laughed. Still cheaper than buying them one at a time.

All good points, and the slight cost increase definitely won't change my mind about getting the drink package. Still only need to average five or six drinks per day to break even, so it's a no brainer for me.

I just read back through the thread, and I'm guessing that Buffett Fan's point was that the post from the person he initially quoted could have been seen as saying Royal was charging a gratuity as an additional, after-the-fact charge in addition to the base price of $55, which wasn't happening.

Some of that $55 was always going towards the staff in the way of gratuities, and now it's just a little more spelled out. Even the phone reps at Royal can't get it straight. Shocker.

Edited by TheInnocentAge

Interesting as the website still shows the Premium at $55 and the Ultimate at $65, which is a total price gratuity inclusive.

I think your case as well as the OP's was a mistaken billing. You were able to get it corrected as should the OP by contacting RCI.

It was not a mistake. The seller told me up front 15% would be added to the posted price. I should have taken a picture of the 8x10 photocopied paper listing the package options.

Before when I purchased on-line, I was charged a flat $55 per day for the premium package.

When I called RC customer service last week they told me that the price was still $55 a day for the premium package and that the price already includes the tax and gratuity. It was reported last week that there was an IT glitch? So it's still supposed to be $55 flat.

1) customer service is notoriously mis-informed

2) yes, buying on-line it's still $55...I'm reporting the difference if you buy on the ship in person

All good points, and the slight cost increase definitely won't change my mind about getting the drink package. Still only need to average five or six drinks per day to break even, so it's a no brainer for me.

I just read back through the thread, and I'm guessing that Buffett Fan's point was that the post from the person he initially quoted could have been seen as saying Royal was charging a gratuity as an additional, after-the-fact charge in addition to the base price of $55, which wasn't happening.

Some of that $55 was always going towards the staff in the way of gratuities, and now it's just a little more spelled out. Even the phone reps at Royal can't get it straight. Shocker.

it's hard to explain what I meant...before when I purchased a package ahead of time online, the price was $55 period. I know it included the gratuity. I knew I would not be paying an additional 15% tip on every slip that I signed (if the ship was using the "0" slip routine).

I did not have the option of pre-buying my package this cruise. When I bought on the ship when boarding, the sign said the Premium package was $49 (not $55 as noted on the website) and the Ultimate was $55 (not $65 as noted on the website) and it did not include the gratuity. The 15% gratuity was added to my purchase.

Moral of the story is PURCHASE YOUR PACKAGES BEFORE YOU BOARD!!!

So I tried to purchase package for hubby. This is what i saw..

VIEW GUEST INFORMATION AND PRICES

GUEST NAME RESERVATION NUMBER PACKAGE PRICE

Joel Simon Premium Package $392.00 USD

*Service Charge $58.80 USD

So total was over 451.

Service charge is the 15% tip correct???

So total was over 451.

Yes.

So total was over 451.

YES! 49 per day for RCCL to give you the drinks all day, 49*.15= 7.35 for someone to make and give you those drinks. Total has gone up from 55 to 56.35 per day. 7.35 service charge for day * 8 days = 58.80.

Service charge is being interpreted as tips to me, however, maybe they aren't calling it "gratuties" specifically hoping that pax ordering more than 8 drinks or so a day might consider tipping extra. Up to you to tip extra if feel usage and service warrants but, yes, 15% is the tip and it is correct with new pricing. It now works similar to soda package.

I wonder if this is effecting the over all tips the bartenders are getting. If someone didn't realize that the tips were included in the $55/$65 dollar price when the packages came out they might continue to tip per drink even though the drink itself is free.

Now that the customer is more informed of the actual amount going to tips or service charge they might be less inclined to give another dollar or two to a bartender making their drinks. Does anyone know how the included service charge actually gets distributed? Does it just get spread out over the entire bartending crew or more people are in the pot?

I typically don't like included service charges like this because it tends to encourage less service. This happened at WDW when tips were included with the dining packages. Since the servers got the tip regardless of the service the service declined over time. They ended up removing tips from the dining packages so people are now required to tip on what the meal should have cost.

I will tip above and beyond what I have already paid if I get exceptional service but I am guessing most won't. This doesn't encourage people to do their best in my opinion.

I have no problem with the 15%. Gratuities, tips, whatever is fine. Staff works hard.

Hi all,

Been lurking these boards for awhile and finally registered.

I hate for my first post to sound all negative, but this is the issue I have been dealing with this morning. I have no problem with the waitstaff getting 15%, but I do have a problem with one price being advertised and another being charged.

I am trying to book the Premium package for an Allure 7-night in Oct. The price shows $49/day. Clicking the fine print link claims all gratuities included. As with others when I put it in my cart a 15% gratuity is added.

So, I did not check out and called. The lady was very nice and understood the problem (and, of course, stated they were having IT problems :D), but she said the advertised price was for online booking only and if she did it the cost would be $55. She said my options were to book with her at the higher rate or wait for the issue to be fixed. I decided to wait, but had her make a notation of the price and issue in the reservation (and also took some screenshots). I'll give it a few days and if it is not fixed I'll call back and be more insistent they honor their advertised price.

...I am trying to book the Premium package for an Allure 7-night in Oct. The price shows $49/day. Clicking the fine print link claims all gratuities included. As with others when I put it in my cart a 15% gratuity is added.

So, I did not check out and called. The lady was very nice and understood the problem (and, of course, stated they were having IT problems :D), but she said the advertised price was for online booking only and if she did it the cost would be $55. She said my options were to book with her at the higher rate or wait for the issue to be fixed. I decided to wait, but had her make a notation of the price and issue in the reservation (and also took some screenshots). I'll give it a few days and if it is not fixed I'll call back and be more insistent they honor their advertised price.

I believe the website is working as they want. All they need to do is remove the fine print about gratuities being included.

How do you know which drink package to buy? They don't tell you what "premium" drinks are. What package includes mixed drinks? I so confused as to which packages to purchase. If anyone out there can help me, I would really appreciate it!

How do you know which drink package to buy? They don't tell you what "premium" drinks are. What package includes mixed drinks? I so confused as to which packages to purchase. If anyone out there can help me, I would really appreciate it!

It's all here:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/en_US/pdf/beverage_packages.pdf

Also remember, you are not required to purchase any beverage package.

Edited by clarea

this website does not give me any specific information on what drinks are in what packages. This is our first cruise and I don't want to get a package that does not include the drinks we want. My husband likes Crown & coke, and I prefer mixed drinks (pina colada) as well as we both will enjoy a glass of wine with dinner. How do I know which package includes these?