Drink Package Confusion

this website does not give me any specific information on what drinks are in what packages. This is our first cruise and I don't want to get a package that does not include the drinks we want. My husband likes Crown & coke, and I prefer mixed drinks (pina colada) as well as we both will enjoy a glass of wine with dinner. How do I know which package includes these?

Those drinks are called cocktails, and are included in the Premium and Ultimate packages.

Hi all,

Been lurking these boards for awhile and finally registered.

I hate for my first post to sound all negative, but this is the issue I have been dealing with this morning. I have no problem with the waitstaff getting 15%, but I do have a problem with one price being advertised and another being charged.

I am trying to book the Premium package for an Allure 7-night in Oct. The price shows $49/day. Clicking the fine print link claims all gratuities included. As with others when I put it in my cart a 15% gratuity is added.

So, I did not check out and called. The lady was very nice and understood the problem (and, of course, stated they were having IT problems :D), but she said the advertised price was for online booking only and if she did it the cost would be $55. She said my options were to book with her at the higher rate or wait for the issue to be fixed. I decided to wait, but had her make a notation of the price and issue in the reservation (and also took some screenshots). I'll give it a few days and if it is not fixed I'll call back and be more insistent they honor their advertised price.

Technically, the fine print says gratuities included. When you checkout, it adds a service charge. They are covered as those two terms are legally different even though the money goes to the same place.

That being said, the price is either 55 a day altogether or 49 plus 15% depending on which pricing system you end up with. Trying to force them to not charge you the service charge is just one of those things that I don't agree with, but many people try to do these days.

So I have no choice but pay the service charge? Is there a service charge on the board to book the minute I walk on board? Is there a service charge if I call instead?

The service charge will be added no matter how you purchase.

So I have no choice but pay the service charge? Is there a service charge on the board to book the minute I walk on board? Is there a service charge if I call instead?

The service charge (previously known as included gratuity :D) has always been a part of purchasing the packages. The only difference is now the daily price is being separated from the service charge whereas before it had been all in one price. The price does go up a bit, around $9 for the week on the premium package, but not exorbitantly.

You could just not buy the package to avoid the charge. But then you will pay one for every drink you buy.

OK after reading this thread, I decided to call Crown & Anchor as we are sailing in 18 days and I have purchased the Premium Package. I was charged $423.50 for a $55/day which should have resulted in a charge of $385. Here is what I was told...

First, the C&A rep did not know of any additional price increase/decrease and she looked it up and stated that the gratuities were part of the package. She was confused so she reached out to Guest Resolutions and she was told that my additional charges were for a VAT (valuables added tax) as we are sailing the Mediterrean. So... according to RCI, both C&A & Guest Resolutions, the gratuities are included in the price.

Now... check this out. I was also given a website, http://www.global-blue.com and was told that I could be refunded some of the VAT. All I need to do was to tell customs that I wished to apply for a refund. To do this, I needed to save all receipts and apply for the refund on-line.

Interesting. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this thread as I learned a bit today! :D

My husband bought the $40/day Beer package and we never saw any added gratuity during our March & April 2014 sailings recently.I guessI better watch for it this time. We are to far out to buy online.

Yep, don't put up with RCCL screwing you out of 25 cents, the nerve to change from 40 including tips to 35 (w/o tips)+5.25 (15%)=40.25. Might be time to consider other lines.

Yep, don't put up with RCCL screwing you out of 25 cents, the nerve to change from 40 including tips to 35 (w/o tips)+5.25 (15%)=40.25. Might be time to consider other lines.

It isn't about your so called quarter. I did not read her post as trying to 'get away' without paying. I read it as she beieved it to be promoted ones way, while others have seen charges another way. If this is the case, shame on RCL for attempting to charge someone. If they can't manage their promotions, marketing, website etc., then that's on them! Not their customers.

There is a huge state of confusion on this matter as I spoke with RCI today. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing and corporate can't get a handle on it. So far anyway.

Technically, the fine print says gratuities included. When you checkout, it adds a service charge. They are covered as those two terms are legally different even though the money goes to the same place.

technically, they state themselves in their webpages that "service charge" equals to "gratuity"

Q:

Are gratuities included in the all-inclusive beverage packages purchase price?

A:

A service charge of 15% has already been included in the purchase price. You will not have to pay additional gratuities unless you desire to do so.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5477

I seem to have managed to purchase the premium package for our upcoming Adventure France&Spain cruise at the exact right moment, since I got it for less than 55 USD/day (including 15% gratuity, I think). Technically, my favourable price is due to exchange rates, since I am paying in Euros 562,10 for the two of us. That equals to 371 USD/per person / 7 night cruise. So I should have paid 385USD, right?

I did this on Aug 16th, right before people started complaining about price differences.

No extra VAT was added, even though we are not crossing any EU border.

Edited by Miryam1234
deleted double lines.

...I seem to have managed to purchase the premium package for our upcoming Adventure France&Spain cruise at the exact right moment, since I got it for less than 55 USD/day (including 15% gratuity, I think). Technically, my favourable price is due to exchange rates, since I am paying in Euros 562,10 for the two of us. That equals to 371 USD/per person / 7 night cruise. So I should have paid 385USD, right?

I did this on Aug 16th, right before people started complaining about price differences. ...

Yes, USD 385 was the price that had been charged on a 7 day cruise up until very recently.