Cabin Allocation issue

@Porthole

Oh through P&O Direct. The Customer Service Executive was actually a lot more understanding than the first rep who was very rude while I remained polite but annoyed. The rep assured me that when I arrived I could move them together then, I personally think this isn't true, as I've seen some pictures of the twin cabins and I think it is fixed for a reason. But yeah the Exec is contacting the head of house keeping direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems sensible going straight to the department responsible.

Wonder what the reason is though for fixed beds?? Unless there is furniture eg a bedside table attached to the wall between the beds like I have seen on a ferry!

I would think though that it should not be too difficult to swap you with a more normal non-fixed arrangement made into a Queen especially as obviously as a couple, you have requested the Queen arrangement right from the start.

Edited by Scriv

Requested is the operative word. If the matter meant so much to you why didn't you simply make a firm booking for a cabin with a double bed.

I'm afraid that I simply don't see how this can be such a great concern now as it wasn't when you made the booking that you did and were prepared to take a chance.

Having looked at the deck plan-yes you are at the very front, and it is fixed singles. My main worry would be ,being right above the theatre, as you will get noise from there. Plus the sea/waves hitting the bow.

I guess this is the problem when you don't really have a say where you are going to end up.

Not sure reception will be able to help you now, as their records will show that you have been upgraded twice already ,from what has been posted.

This is the reason a lot of people say no upgrades ,as what P and O call an upgrade, may not be what the customer does.

I will not hold your breath when pando call you back. Unless you specify an actual cabin they will slot you where they have a empty cabin..for obvious reasons a select fare payer would not have booked that cabin.

I feel for you as it is an anniversary, but pando have already done more than they need to by their t and c .

Have you thought what your reaction will be if they offer you your previously booked (Partially) Obstructed Window cabin, but with a Queen bed?

On the face of it, a downgrade maybe, but if it is in a better location and a Queen bed maybe it would be better for you?

Maybe think about it in case they ring back with that option.

Edited by Scriv

Have you heard anything, @porthole?

I have been thinking about your situation and I feel I was perhaps a bit harsh on you earlier. Reason being it sounded like you were protesting that you didn't want to sleep on two twin beds zipped together to make a Queen ie the norm for most of us and didn't like the position of your second upgrade. I'm afraid it did come over to me that you were just not happy with your second upgrade and wished to complain to P&O again to get a third upgrade, using your anniversary to strengthen your argument and get sympathy.

I had no idea that cabins even existed with fixed twin beds which could not be moved together. I see from an earlier post of yours that you had noticed that there were a lot of fixed twins in that category but believed that you would not have been allocated one of these as part of a couple asking for a Queen Bed. I think that is quite a reasonable assumption to have made.

I do think that the possibility of allocating a fixed twin to you in that cabin grade should have been made clear to you on your upgrade and indeed to anyone booking that category of cabin as an Early Saver as the sleeping arrangement is important to a lot of people. I hope you are offered a new cabin with a queen bed.

It's because of all these possibilities though that I book Select, where if they upgrade you it is guaranteed like for like.

Edited by Scriv

If all the OPs documents state queen under bed configuration then I would think it reasonable to expect to be allocated a cabin that can have this configuration regardless of whether it is an upgrade. I too would not be happy to be "upgraded" to a fixed twin.

At the very least P&O should have phoned to explain the upgrade would be a fixed twin and not automatically upgraded him.

I do hope they offer him a new cabin with queen bed even if a lower grade cabin.

Thanks for all you advice and comments. The guy rang back and he did try for another cabin but as it is sold out completely the staff have said they will unfix the beds to make it a queen, something they don't normally do as the cabin is slightly narrower than the others. I am pleased with the response and the cabin is in JD grade. He has given this to me in writing too and it should be made up by the time we arrive.

I would like the luxury of Select however being a student at university I feel it is too much for me to pay, Early Saver works out nicely for us. As long as we have a Queen bed which we have been expecting from the start. I just can't imagine this being anything other than a mistake from P&O as if you order a twin room and were given a queen bed people would not be happy.

Agains thanks for all your nice comments. We have been looking forward to this cruise since October and it is finally nearly here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by @Porthole

Oh great - a very satisfactory outcome then. And as you say, allocating a queen bed to people asking for a twin could certainly cause lots of problems!!

I'm sure you will have no problem now on board as you have it in writing.

I hope you both have a lovely cruise :) and I'm sure your girlfriend will love cruising. Get on board as early as you can so you can make the most of it all.

Edited by Scriv

If all the OPs documents state queen under bed configuration then I would think it reasonable to expect to be allocated a cabin that can have this configuration regardless of whether it is an upgrade. I too would not be happy to be "upgraded" to a fixed twin.

At the very least P&O should have phoned to explain the upgrade would be a fixed twin and not automatically upgraded him.

I do hope they offer him a new cabin with queen bed even if a lower grade cabin.

It does not always work like that.

Last cruise every piece of paperwork I had said our mini suite had a bath/shower. Also the brochure and website says mini suites have bath/shower

Last paperwork, after we had had paid final balance said shower only.

As it was a mini suite obviously did not cost us 2shillings and sixpence;)

All suites and other mini suites were sold out, so we had to stick with it..actually ended up loving the cabin.

Last cruise every piece of paperwork I had said our mini suite had a bath/shower. Also the brochure and website says mini suites have bath/shower

All suites and other mini suites were sold out, so we had to stick with it..actually ended up loving the cabin.

In that case P&O really need to sort their literature out and make sure it is correct so these sort of things don't happen again. Glad you loved your cabin in the end.

Oceana, stern mini suites on the corner?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The aft minisuites on Oceana don't have a separate shower as the midship ones do. However, the aft minis are much larger than the midship ones and we would choose an aft one every time and forego the separate shower. The website does not make it clear that the layout of the aft minis is different from the midship ones. The midship ones are like two balcony cabins joined together and therefore have a long, narrow balcony. The aft ones are like one huge room separated into a sleeping area and a sitting area and they have very large balconies - the two on C deck in particular have huge balconies. I think it should be made clear that there is a great difference in the aft as opposed to the midship minis. Our favourite cabin - well apart from the C deck full suites - is either of the C deck minisuites on Oceana.

The aft minisuites on Oceana don't have a separate shower as the midship ones do. However, the aft minis are much larger than the midship ones and we would choose an aft one every time and forego the separate shower. The website does not make it clear that the layout of the aft minis is different from the midship ones. The midship ones are like two balcony cabins joined together and therefore have a long, narrow balcony. The aft ones are like one huge room separated into a sleeping area and a sitting area and they have very large balconies - the two on C deck in particular have huge balconies. I think it should be made clear that there is a great difference in the aft as opposed to the midship minis. Our favourite cabin - well apart from the C deck full suites - is either of the C deck minisuites on Oceana.

Shhhhhhh do not tell everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry Dai - perhaps it's just as well that P&O do not publicise the difference. I think they have now made the miship minis more expensive than the aft when it used to be the other way round - goodness knows why - I suppose because they are midship and most people think that is preferable.

Sorry Dai - perhaps it's just as well that P&O do not publicise the difference. I think they have now made the miship minis more expensive than the aft when it used to be the other way round - goodness knows why - I suppose because they are midship and most people think that is preferable.

Maybe because the aft mini suites potentially suffer from horrendous up and down movement that nobody in their right mind would want to travel in one;););)

Maybe because the aft mini suites potentially suffer from horrendous up and down movement that nobody in their right mind would want to travel in one;););)

Very good post Pete, that's the line to take.:cool: