Studio Rooms

Cruz Doggie

Hi I am thinking of cruising on the Getaway and was wondering how the studio rooms are. Don't typically like inside cabins but such a price difference. Anyone have any experience with the studios? Thanks!
Stayed in a studio on the BA last cruise and it was fine thought I usually stay in a balcony cabin!;):D Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

I had a Studio on The Getaway in June and loved it. Very small but lots of space for storage. I did not use the Lounge very much but it is nice gathering place. The Studios have a window looking out into the hallway- you can see out but others can not see in. On the side it has two shades for complete privacy and total darkness. I left both shades open just a bit at night and used the hallway light for a nightlight.

Thank you for your responses! Think I just might go for it. We always had a balcony but it will be just me now as I lost my husband 6 months ago.

I'm so sorry for your loss. That must be so difficult. I'm a new solo cruiser myself (have been divorced for three years now and DD can't come with me in October). I'm actually sailing on the Jade which doesn't have studios, but I'm looking forward to eventually sailing on one of the ships that does.

I've booked an inside cabin for my October cruise and have been struggling with the idea of not having a balcony--we've had balconies ever since our second cruise and I've always spent a lot of time on the balcony. I was thinking about just splurging and upgrading, but my DD pointed out to me that it'll be good for me to stay in my inside cabin because it'll make me get out of there more. She's concerned that since I'm sailing alone I might just keep to myself (that's her concern, not mine. I'm just fine being alone :o). Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and encourage you! I hope your first solo cruise is fantastic!

Thank you so much for the encouragement Quilting Cruiser. I was thinking the same thing - if I had a balcony I might just stay out there too much. Just so used to the balcony but it is twice as much. Hope you enjoy your next cruise!

Thank you, and you, too! The studios look like they're really well designed and I can't wait to try one!

I have been on The Getaway twice so far. There is so much to see and do on board Her it would be a shame to stay in your cabin much. I am in my cabin just enough to sleep, shower and change clothes. Enjoy, I would love to sail on Her again. She has a terrific staff too.

While I haven't stayed in the studio on the Getaway, I was in the studio on the Epic and I'm told they are designed the same (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

HERE is a link to my pictures of the room we were in.

I felt that even though it was only 100 sq ft, they made use of every part of the room and it actually felt like a pretty nice, manageable size. There is tons of storage with cabinets and under the bed. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in one again. :)

While I haven't stayed in the studio on the Getaway, I was in the studio on the Epic and I'm told they are designed the same (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

HERE is a link to my pictures of the room we were in.

I felt that even though it was only 100 sq ft, they made use of every part of the room and it actually felt like a pretty nice, manageable size. There is tons of storage with cabinets and under the bed. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in one again. :)

Great pictures of all the nitty-gritty details of a studio room! Thanks for sharing those.

I wondered how the bathrooms were configured, and it looks like they're split as is standard all over Epic. I also wonder if all studios across the fleet are like that.

I wouldn't mind it if by myself, but wouldn't want to share and have me and my companion seeing every detail of each other's private business. :o

The photos of the window into the hall look like the window is see-through. Could you really NOT see into a cabin from the hall?

Great pictures of all the nitty-gritty details of a studio room! Thanks for sharing those.

I wondered how the bathrooms were configured, and it looks like they're split as is standard all over Epic. I also wonder if all studios across the fleet are like that.

I wouldn't mind it if by myself, but wouldn't want to share and have me and my companion seeing every detail of each other's private business. :o

The photos of the window into the hall look like the window is see-through. Could you really NOT see into a cabin from the hall?

Nope, you really couldn't see in. From inside you could tell if someone was out there, but it was hard to see them other than the shadow. My husband has his face pressed up against the window in the last one and then I can almost make him out, but he still couldn't see in. :)

Nope, you really couldn't see in. From inside you could tell if someone was out there, but it was hard to see them other than the shadow. My husband has his face pressed up against the window in the last one and then I can almost make him out, but he still couldn't see in. :)

I noticed the guy in the cabin when you were taking the pictures. So were you and your husband able to book a studio together?

Doesn't that defeat the concept of this area catering to solo travelers? If NCL allows couples, what's to keep all the studios from being occupied by couples and the solos stuck paying the single supplement for a regular cabin again?

(Nothing against you, mitsugirly. I appreciate your being budget-minded. :D I'm just asking a general question.)

I noticed the guy in the cabin when you were taking the pictures. So were you and your husband able to book a studio together?

Doesn't that defeat the concept of this area catering to solo travelers? If NCL allows couples, what's to keep all the studios from being occupied by couples and the solos stuck paying the single supplement for a regular cabin again?

(Nothing against you, mitsugirly. I appreciate your being budget-minded. :D I'm just asking a general question.)

Actually I was inside taking the picture and he was outside in the hall looking in.

When we booked the epic we booked and paid for 2 rooms that adjoined. :)

Actually I was inside taking the picture and he was outside in the hall looking in.

When we booked the epic we booked and paid for 2 rooms that adjoined. :)

Thanks for clearing that up. All's well in the universe again! :D

I was concerned because too many times I've gone to so-called "singles get-togethers" on ships that draw mostly pairs who don't happen to be married and don't particularly want to meet new people because they have each other.

In my book, they're called couples.

Thanks for clearing that up. All's well in the universe again! :D

I was concerned because too many times I've gone to so-called "singles get-togethers" on ships that draw mostly pairs who don't happen to be married and don't particularly want to meet new people because they have each other.

In my book, they're called couples.

Absolutely agree. Even though we are married, we didn't attend any of the "singles" events or anything they did in the studio lounge. We went in there one time during an "off time" just to check it out and take pictures and I think we only walked through there once after that on our way back to our room. :)

Hello, I did a studio on the Epic and a balcony on the Breakaway.

I think that the studio for me personally was fine as I only was in there to sleep and shower 2x a day.

Although I had a balcony the next time, I found I preferred not to be isolated and spent my time outside enjoying the ship.

I have a studio this time coming up and have no intention of uprgading as of now.

I have to admit it was much easier accessing the studio lounge (less of a hassle) when I had the studio.

The advantage of the balcony was more space to unpack.

The other nice thing about the studio is the lounge. Complementry cappuccino machine, muffiins etc for breakfast without all the lineups elsewhere. I did a studio on the Epic European trip that is very port intensive. It is nice to beat the crowds up in the buffet.

A studio on Breakaway brought me back to NCL! I was less than impressed with the crew on NCL several years ago and had pretty well written-off the cruiseline, but I decided recently to give them another try, since I have switched careers and become a travel agent. I feel like I can't advise my clients to use a product I would not use myself (the Golden Rule of travel, maybe?). I got a great last-minute deal and really enjoyed the studio and amenities. There is plenty of room, especially since there is really no need to bring formal night clothes on NCL. Of course, there's no sofa to stretch out on to read a book or magazine but there are plenty of nice public places to do so, including the library (which seemed to be a secret on our cruise, it was always empty). There is no fridge in the studio cabin, by the way. The lounge was great; the coffee machine was great for a cappuccino on demand, and there were always muffins, cookies and fresh fruit available (well, until midnight or so). There's also a machine that sells wine by the pour, available 24/7. There is a daily gathering for all singles (5pm, I think) which was a great way to meet other solo cruisers and find dinner companions. Ages ranged from 20-something's to 60-something's. There is a bartender at the gathering if you wish to purchase a beverage and a member of the cruise director's staff attends and coordinates activities as requested. For instance, he arranged for a group to attend the Jungle Fantasy dinner together and it was great fun.

I don't know if I could spend more than a week in a studio but there is so much to see and do on board, and so much outdoor space on the ship, there's really no need to use it beyond sleeping and showering!

I'd do it again, and would have no problem recommending a studio to one of my clients!

Liz

Thank you everyone and thanks for sharing pictures. I actually ended up booking a balcony as they reduced the price and offered an OBC. The studio does look nice though after seeing the photos so I wouldn't be against trying it some day.

Thanks for the photos of the studios.

You show a picture of a 220 volts outlet. What is the voltage in the other, double outlet?

Are you talking about this one?

IMG_1497-L.jpg

It's just your normal 110 outlet. :D

Edited by mitsugirly

What is available in the lounge or is it just a meeting place?

Coffee, tea, expresso machine that makes lattes and other stuff, pastries and self serving wine machine. Then at certain hour or time, a bar for non-virgin drinks. Solos got it good. :D