Warning re airport security

lizziebargain

FYI---don't carry any empty bottles in your carry on through Heathrow. When we went through security, they considered empty bottles "liquid". I would have loved the option of them just putting them in the trash, but I had to go through a special screening. I was the last person on the plane...they asked DH if he wanted to fly without me.

When you first posted this information in 2011, I was rather surprised, because I always carry an empty water bottle through security and fill it with water once through. I've flown out of Heathrow numerous time before and after your incident and have had no problems at all. After seeing your new post today, I double checked and the Heathrow security site makes no mention of empty containers.

The only thing that makes sense to me would be if your containers weren't totally dry and had traces of liquid remaining. In that case, placing them in a separate plastic bag and rescanning them would be perfectly normal standard operating procedure. A ho-hum event if you have time to kill, but very upsetting if you are concerned about making your flight! :eek:

I will be flying to Vancouver next month...via Minneapolis...hadn't given the flight much thought...will be sans dh..but meeting a cousin from Boston in Minneapolis....does anyone know...will we go thru customs in the US...before we get to Canada....or when we land in Vancouver?

I fly several times a year but usually within the US...never have to do anything with my cell or iPad....guess things have changed...it's been years since I flew to Europe....

Only experience I have is the bus from Seattle to Vancouver...and the Canadian officials were extremely stern...to say the least...I initially was offended..but when dh told me he liked how they were and that is how our folks should be...I thought about it and changed my mind...they don't joke around at all...very very serious!!

I'm looking into one of those quick charge thingy's. About lipstick size. Will give a phone/ipad/laptop a quick charge to meet TSA requirements. (I hope) I've always made sure everything was charged, but if stopped in traffic for an extended time on the way to the airport that could all change.

I will be flying to Vancouver next month...via Minneapolis...hadn't given the flight much thought...will be sans dh..but meeting a cousin from Boston in Minneapolis....does anyone know...will we go thru customs in the US...before we get to Canada....or when we land in Vancouver?

I fly several times a year but usually within the US...never have to do anything with my cell or iPad....guess things have changed...it's been years since I flew to Europe....

Only experience I have is the bus from Seattle to Vancouver...and the Canadian officials were extremely stern...to say the least...I initially was offended..but when dh told me he liked how they were and that is how our folks should be...I thought about it and changed my mind...they don't joke around at all...very very serious!!

While there are numerous Canadian airports offering pre-clearance to the US, there are currently no US airports offering a similar program. Consequently, you will clear customs and immigration upon arrival in Vancouver.

In my extensive cross-border travel to and from the USA, I'd say that the border officers are pretty the same. There are some who have a smile on their face and treat everyone with the utmost respect, and there are others who clearly should not hold a job dealing with the public! It's one thing to be thorough but being officious is something entirely different.

Just a heads-up. My family breezed through Heathrow security last month, but I was pulled aside for a random check as we boarded the plane (British Airways London to Denver.) Never had that happen before so was rather startled.

I was walking with my teenage son, and he stopped as I was pulled out, and the woman yelled at him to keep going. I had to turn on my Nook, which was fine, but the woman didn't believe that I didn't have a cell phone with me. We only carry one phone for international travel, and my husband had it. Since I didn't have a phone, she patted me down, searched my purse and examined my shoes.

Always something new to keep things exciting!

Just a heads-up. My family breezed through Heathrow security last month, but I was pulled aside for a random check as we boarded the plane (British Airways London to Denver.) Never had that happen before so was rather startled.

I was walking with my teenage son, and he stopped as I was pulled out, and the woman yelled at him to keep going. I had to turn on my Nook, which was fine, but the woman didn't believe that I didn't have a cell phone with me. We only carry one phone for international travel, and my husband had it. Since I didn't have a phone, she patted me down, searched my purse and examined my shoes.

Always something new to keep things exciting!

Would you believe that she has watched to many re-runs of "Get Smart" and suspected you had one of Max's shoe phones? :)

Well, we avoid Heathrow like the plague. Abhor it. Thankfully we will go threw Frankfurt this time.

I'm surprised at the bottles though Linda. Were they empty water bottles or toiletry bottles? Seems a bit ludicrous.

Jacqui,

They were toiletry bottles. The size of the small Clinique clarifying lotion gift size. One was a small hairspray bottle---Clinique, same size. We used what was in them the final morning, and dumped the rest. We know about liquids, but apparently not about empty bottles. I can still hear the TSA guy telling me they are "liquids", when I said they are empty bottles!! So frustrating. We avoid Heathrow like the plague now. AMS is our airport of choice---very civilized. I had to go through a special screening where the bottles were rescreened. It wouldn't have been so bad, but there were at least 3 people ahead of me that had carryons full of very weird stuff. I must have waited over 35 min. Prinsendam came in late that day, which usually never happens. And, we had to travel from Tilbury. Since then, we spend the night before going home. Makes it much less stressful!

While there are numerous Canadian airports offering pre-clearance to the US, there are currently no US airports offering a similar program. Consequently, you will clear customs and immigration upon arrival in Vancouver.

In my extensive cross-border travel to and from the USA, I'd say that the border officers are pretty the same. There are some who have a smile on their face and treat everyone with the utmost respect, and there are others who clearly should not hold a job dealing with the public! It's one thing to be thorough but being officious is something entirely different.

Thanks so much for the info...just so I know what and where to expect customs :)

At the end of July, we flew AMS to Dublin, changed plans and went through immigration there before going to BOS. Never had a question about our cells?

We just flew AMS to Seattle two weeks ago. My phone was in my tote bag and was never looked at or even mentioned.

It is obvious that security at airports is tightening / changing - but may be somewhat aligned with what they had for lunch. We all know it is pointless to argue - and often counterproductive to getting thru unscathed. Remember once when TSA was changing the rules (actually easing them a bit), I had a copy of the TSA print-out with the new rules and was asked by the TSA person who glanced at the print-out, "You want to throw it away or go through full screening and interviews" - big choice. So now I guess we just arrive at the airport for international flights at least hours and hours ahead of departure with list of electronics which are all fully charged, minimal liquids, easy slip-off shoes due to the dxxx shoe bomber (look on the bright side, we do not have to strip down to our underwear) and hope for the best.

Jacqui,

They were toiletry bottles. The size of the small Clinique clarifying lotion gift size. One was a small hairspray bottle---Clinique, same size. We used what was in them the final morning, and dumped the rest. We know about liquids, but apparently not about empty bottles. I can still hear the TSA guy telling me they are "liquids", when I said they are empty bottles!! So frustrating. We avoid Heathrow like the plague now. AMS is our airport of choice---very civilized. I had to go through a special screening where the bottles were rescreened. It wouldn't have been so bad, but there were at least 3 people ahead of me that had carryons full of very weird stuff. I must have waited over 35 min. Prinsendam came in late that day, which usually never happens. And, we had to travel from Tilbury. Since then, we spend the night before going home. Makes it much less stressful!

thanks:D Although we are not going through Heathrow (Frankfurt), I was considering putting in some empty toiletry bottles in my carry on. According to Frankfurt rules we can order duty free and carry it on our connecting flight as long as it isn't opened, receipt attached, etc., etc., etc. But, in case, I thought I would put a few bottles in case someone says no. Rules seem to change all the time. might have to re-think that strategy and just hope they don't change the rules ;) just one bottle that we can't get here (along with some cosmetic stuff) that we were going to enjoy at our pre-cruise port.

Edited by kazu

When you first posted this information in 2011, I was rather surprised, because I always carry an empty water bottle through security and fill it with water once through. I've flown out of Heathrow numerous time before and after your incident and have had no problems at all. After seeing your new post today, I double checked and the Heathrow security site makes no mention of empty containers.

The only thing that makes sense to me would be if your containers weren't totally dry and had traces of liquid remaining. In that case, placing them in a separate plastic bag and rescanning them would be perfectly normal standard operating procedure. A ho-hum event if you have time to kill, but very upsetting if you are concerned about making your flight! :eek:

There probably were traces of liquid in them. But....we are allowed to carry 3 oz containers in a quart bag. Could a 1/2 drop of liquid be used in a bomb? Similar to when we go through security in Detroit, sometime's my carryon is suspect, sometimes not. I think my elec.rollers look like something to them at times. They are looking at a picture. This guy at Heathrow saw empty bottles, not knowing if they were empty or not. He could have been new...he was young. In Detroit, my carry on would have been opened right then and there. At Heathrow, there is another step, which involved another security line. I think I was just unlucky.

Here is another story that is unbelievable. In Detroit, we did NOT have to remove our shoes, nor our laptop or liquids last month, to travel to AMS. We are not anywhere near 75 nor look it!

I think - given the situation all over the world right now - it would be highly suspect to carry empty bottles onto a plane, in their eyes. The more security the better, IMO. I'm also frequently through Heathrow, terminals 3, 4 & 5 (which I hate), and I sometimes find it very lax going in, but tight going out.

Here is another story that is unbelievable. In Detroit, we did NOT have to remove our shoes, nor our laptop or liquids last month, to travel to AMS. We are not anywhere near 75 nor look it!

Not unbelievable at all. Sounds like you were the beneficiary of TSA's PreCheck program. TSA has been "marketing" this expedited security clearance program for awhile with hopes of getting people to pony up the $85 for a 5-year enrollment. Airlines, in cooperation and coordination with TSA, have been giving PreCheck to first/business class and higher tier frequent flier program members for some time now. Additional DoD military and civilian personnel get PreCheck with their Known Traveler Number that's on the back of their ID cards. It's a great program and I actually enrolled in the Global Entry program for our overseas travel and that comes with the added benefit of PreCheck for domestic travel. Here's a link with all the details: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

In June we flew from NYC directly to vancouver. Delta ran out of immigration cards so we had to find them when we landed. Then, because a few flights had all arrived at the same time, we stood on line for about 45 minutes, spoke with immigration, then got our luggage. As we were exiting, we were told to go to another room. We waited another 10 minutes. Were question again, and then were allowed to go . Although this was inconvenient ( it was 12 am) if this keeps terrorist at bay, I'm all for it.

There probably were traces of liquid in them. But....we are allowed to carry 3 oz containers in a quart bag. Could a 1/2 drop of liquid be used in a bomb? Similar to when we go through security in Detroit, sometime's my carryon is suspect, sometimes not. I think my elec.rollers look like something to them at times. They are looking at a picture. This guy at Heathrow saw empty bottles, not knowing if they were empty or not. He could have been new...he was young. In Detroit, my carry on would have been opened right then and there. At Heathrow, there is another step, which involved another security line. I think I was just unlucky.

You never can tell what to expect in airports. In March, we had to depart mid-cruise and return home due to a medical issue, transferring in Toronto. The airline provided a wheelchair and staff member to help my wife during the transfer from the international terminal to the domestic. Upon arrival, the customs officer demanded to see our boarding passes for the flight from St. Lucia to Toronto, something that I have never been asked for previously and thought he meant our customs declaration form. When I pointed out that I had already given it to him, he became very officious and demanded in a loud voice that I give him the boarding passes, not the declaration. I commented that I'd never heard of any such requirement, and that I often discard them once the flight has departed. He then tore a strip off me for being ignorant and suggested that I learn the proper procedures for international travel. Had it not been close to midnight, our connecting flight very tight and my concern for my wife paramount, I would have challenged him, and it was only afterwards that I realized that I should have thought to have taken his name.

Even if he was within his rights - I've conducted numerous searches and found nothing requiring a traveller showing a boarding pass to CBSA - his attitude towards two seniors, one in a wheelchair and in obvious pain, left a great deal to be desired.

Not feeling good. Scheduled to leave in 9 days. We transit through LHR and only have 2 hours or so to switch terminals, and we do carry on instead of checked bags. No phones or prescriptions, but Ipads, an electric razor and a Garmin GPS.

Oh well, if the Iceland volcano keep erupting and spewing ash we might not have to concern ourselves with any of that. What a relief.

Edited by iancal

In June we flew from NYC directly to vancouver. Delta ran out of immigration cards so we had to find them when we landed. Then, because a few flights had all arrived at the same time, we stood on line for about 45 minutes, spoke with immigration, then got our luggage. As we were exiting, we were told to go to another room. We waited another 10 minutes. Were question again, and then were allowed to go . Although this was inconvenient ( it was 12 am) if this keeps terrorist at bay, I'm all for it.

More info..thanks...I remember USAir handed out immigration cards on the plane when we flew to Jamaica in March...and we had a long wait to go thru customs there...so am anticipating something similar now..thanks for the heads up..and I'm flying Delta:eek:..my much loved Southwest does not fly into Vancouver!

Not feeling good. Scheduled to leave in 9 days. We transit through LHR and only have 2 hours or so to switch terminals, and we do carry on instead of checked bags. No phones or prescriptions, but Ipads, an electric razor and a Garmin GPS.

Oh well, if the Iceland volcano keep erupting and spewing ash we might not have to concern ourselves with any of that. What a relief.

You'll probably sail right through. Just remember to take the iPads and probably the Garmin out....we missed the sign that included iPads as "major electronics", an honest mistake on our part but a mistake nonetheless, and they saw Mrs. K's iPad in her carry-on on the x-ray. Agent jumped kind of nasty all over her like she was trying to sneak the iPad through security so she was subjected to a full emptying of her carry-on with every item laid out on a table by security. Of course she's looking at me like "what the heck" since I did take out my laptop but not my iPad and sailed right through. Do have to give you props for traveling with just carry-on, we can hardly go across the street without checking bags much less on a cruise. :rolleyes::D

We might be able to ditch the Garmin and just get mobile for the Ipad since we will only be driving in Italy for a few weeks in October prior to our cruise. DW refuses to navigate in Italy without GPS and I cannot say that I blame her. Less electronics etc. is better. Just wish our Ipads had the same generation of power cords etc. Plus the camera/charger.

Edited by iancal

We might be able to ditch the Garmin and just get mobile for the Ipad since we will only be driving in Italy for a few weeks in October prior to our cruise. DW refuses to navigate in Italy without GPS and I cannot say that I blame her. Less electronics etc. is better. Just wish our Ipads had the same generation of power cords etc. Plus the camera/charger.

Let's see....two iPhones, two iPads, sometimes a laptop, and three cameras with assorted lenses.....it's a load with the cords, chargers, extra batteries, converters, power bars, curling iron, hair dryer, electric razor, etc., etc. Those alone take up one carry-on and even flying first/business there's only so much we can carry. We now, after some upgrading, use the same generation chargers/cords for our iPhones and iPads but it really doesn't save much in the way of space or weight.

You have no idea how much I needed a laugh today. I have to remember that one. Love it.

:o It would be even funnier if it wasn't so true. Our last Med cruise took four checked bags and four carry-ons, roughly somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 pounds of stuff and things. :eek:

Let's see....two iPhones, two iPads, sometimes a laptop, and three cameras with assorted lenses.....it's a load with the cords, chargers, extra batteries, converters, power bars, curling iron, hair dryer, electric razor, etc., etc. Those alone take up one carry-on and even flying first/business there's only so much we can carry. We now, after some upgrading, use the same generation chargers/cords for our iPhones and iPads but it really doesn't save much in the way of space or weight.

So glad to see that we aren't the only ones to dedicate one carry-on to all the techie goodies! :)