Anybody ever book a stateroom in a crappy location just so a member they were traveli

UPNYGuy

DW and I are going on the Sun next summer with the in-laws. FIL has been on a cruise with us, but MIL has not. FIL wants a balcony, but doesn't really pay attention where he winds up. I called NCL and had them switch us into the BX above the theatre, so we wouldn't have to listen to my MIL should he go in there thinking he "got a deal"

FWIW, wife and I enjoy the later shows, and don't have children to worry about, so the noise is of little concern.

Anybody else ever do this???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UPNYGuy

DW and I are going on the Sun next summer with the in-laws. FIL has been on a cruise with us, but MIL has not. FIL wants a balcony, but doesn't really pay attention where he winds up. I called NCL and had them switch us into the BX above the theatre, so we wouldn't have to listen to my MIL should he go in there thinking he "got a deal"

FWIW, wife and I enjoy the later shows, and don't have children to worry about, so the noise is of little concern.

Anybody else ever do this???

and is willing to admit this on CC?

We have been in one of those balconies near the theater. We could hear a bit sometimes, but the noise did not trouble us. Ours was also a hull balcony; DH liked it better. I was fine with it; it had some good points.

So, if the inlaws are not noise sensitive, they may still be glad they booked a cheaper cabin. If they get a hull balcony, they might like it if they like shelter from sun and wind plus some privacy. Again, the cheaper cabin might suit them fine. Or the inlaws might decide location matters next time. If your plan is to teach a lesson, it may or may not be effective. If your FIL is like my DH, he'd like the cabin enough to try to book it again!

We have been in one of those balconies near the theater. We could hear a bit sometimes, but the noise did not trouble us. Ours was also a hull balcony; DH liked it better. I was fine with it; it had some good points.

So, if the inlaws are not noise sensitive, they may still be glad they booked a cheaper cabin. If they get a hull balcony, they might like it if they like shelter from sun and wind plus some privacy. Again, the cheaper cabin might suit them fine. Or the inlaws might decide location matters next time. If your plan is to teach a lesson, it may or may not be effective. If your FIL is like my DH, he'd like the cabin enough to try to book it again!

Lol... DW and I booked it so the in laws WOULDNT go in it.

Are you getting 2 separate balconies or you both sharing the same one? If you're getting 2 separate balconies (especially on different decks), honestly who cares what they feel as long you get alone time with your spouse.[emoji13] If you're both in the same balcony, then you know the road to hell is always paved with good intentions - heck they might even like it and do it again. [emoji17] And if your MIL is anything like my mom, just leave her at home - she'll always find something to complain about and it might not be the room, so tread lightly....

Why do think I ask for clarification because I couldn't tell if its one balcony or 2 separate balconies. No matter which way you look at it. he and his wife are either screwed or setting themselves up for failure later on. A simple leave the relatives at home and enjoy yourselves without them will solve their problems. If you know your relatives are ridiculous (constant complaining for no reason, can't mind their business, drama starting, etc) - Why would you bring them on a cruise, let alone your vacation? :cool:

It would appear that while OP doesn't mind FIL, 'cause HE doesn't seem to care WHAT happens to him, MIL is a handful and a half.

So OP has booked a room likely to be as far from MIL as possible.

Has anybody else booked a crappy room in order to avoid the people they're travelling with?

:rolleyes:

Stephen

LOL, I think he booked it so that his FIL, who is in a separate cabin, would not book that crappy cabin. I think he's being kind in taking the cheap, lousy location cabin so it is no longer available for the FIL to book, likely there was only one cheap cabin available there.

I think he's being the good guy in this case, though it did take me several times reading the post to come up with my theory :)

As well, I think he doesn't want his MIL complaining about the FIL choosing a "bad" cabin.

It will be interesting to find out who's right!

Edited by SuiteCruiser

It would appear that while OP doesn't mind FIL, 'cause HE doesn't seem to care WHAT happens to him, MIL is a handful and a half.

So OP has booked a room likely to be as far from MIL as possible.

Has anybody else booked a crappy room in order to avoid the people they're travelling with?

:rolleyes:

Stephen

No, because I leave family at home - I want to sleep with eyes closed, not one eye open to see if they'll go into my wallet / luggage / coat and jump on me / throw water on my face. (One is a thief, the rest are just nosy busboys and habitual line steppers) At least my mom spares me the trouble of inviting her - she's such a grouch and complainer that she makes constant excuses to not go. I want to relax and enjoy on my vacation without serious injuries, not worry about what kind of craziness they're going to put me through. They can stay home.....:cool:

LOL, I think he booked it so that his FIL, who is in a separate cabin, would not book that crappy cabin. I think he's being kind in taking the cheap, lousy location cabin so it is no longer available for the FIL to book, likely there was only one cheap cabin available there.

I think he's being the good guy in this case, though it did take me several times reading the post to come up with my theory :)

As well, I think he doesn't want his MIL complaining about the FIL choosing a "bad" cabin. It will be interesting to find out who's right!

You are right. It took me forever to understand this, but after reading you "theory" and scrolling back a few post, it all fits

See, it make sense now. I can move on, LOL

As well, I think he doesn't want his MIL complaining about the FIL choosing a "bad" cabin.

It will be interesting to find out who's right!

That is EXACTLY what I meant.

We booked that room before my father in law had a chance to, not being familiar with the layout of the ship, he would have (thinking he scored a deal). That way, he and my MIL would be able to enjoy the cruise without having to listen to the theatre below. I just realized I left that detail out. He just sent me an email ranting that the room he wanted was sold. I have not replied. I know it is the one I went in. He will thank me after he realizes where it is... ;)

Edited by UPNYGuy

We booked that room before my father in law had a chance to, not being familiar with the layout of the ship, he would have (thinking he scored a deal). That way, he and my MIL would be able to enjoy the cruise without having to listen to the theatre below. I just realized I left that detail out. He just sent me an email ranting that the room he wanted was sold. I have not replied. I know it is the one I went in. He will thank me after he realizes where it is... ;)

So I guess you've already started working on your story for when you all get on board and he sees which cabin you're in :eek:

It appears your FIL is somewhat irrational/emotional? If so, what happens when he realizes YOU took the room he wanted,and he still thinks it would have been a good deal for him?