Fly in day of cruise?

BiXLL

Done it a few times....once got a little close. Roads were icy getting to the airport and we missed the 30 minute checked baggage rule. They said they could get us there at 7pm...uh, no. Fortunately we're able to switch airlines. If you do do it, definitely get trip insurance....which you should anyway.

I did it once. it was an inexpensive, last minute cruise; if we missed the cruise it would not have been a big deal emotionally or financially. Flights cost as much as cruise fare, and best flights (again relatively last minute booking) were same day. It was September, not winter. So we took the first nonstop from MKE to LAX. With time changes in our favor, we were on the ground at about 9 am. It worked out well, but it was a much different situation.

If time and flight costs were no issue, I'd fly from from the snow country to south fl two days before the cruise for a long planned January cruise. If fights go well, I'd have two days in fl warmth before the cruise:). if flights become an issue, I'd have time to reschedule the flight or (worst comes to worst) to drive to fl.

Time away from home and work often is an issue, so usually we fly in one day ahead. I'd only fly in same day if it was a select situation (as above) or the only choice.

Done it a few times....once got a little close. Roads were icy getting to the airport and we missed the 30 minute checked baggage rule. They said they could get us there at 7pm...uh, no. Fortunately we're able to switch airlines. If you do do it, definitely get trip insurance....which you should anyway.

I think one needs to read trip insurance policies carefully to be sure you'll be covered. I am not an expert in travel insurance, but some policy summary concern me when I read them. I recall seeing some policies that only cover if all commercial flights from the airport are shut down for X hours. That certainly can happen in Pittsburgh in a winter blizzard, but less issues arise more often....delays and a smattering of cancelled flights due to winter weather or other reasons. Some of those policies might cover under the incident another provision, like missed connection (red those limitations, too), but read the fine print before buying to make sure your situation is really covered.

Picture this:

You're sitting on your plane. Weather is fine outside, you're rather smug, Saved $150 on a hotel. Suddenly there's an announcement that there are some minor issues with the plane and you'll be delayed while they attempt to fix it. Now you're wondering, will I make it in time? You're supposed to land at 10:10 and final boarding time for the ship is 3:30 (assuming a 5PM sail time) - you have exactly 5.5 hours of time to play with. You finally board but learn you wont be arriving until 2PM. You now have 90 minutes to get your luggage, get a cab and make the ship. You arrive at 2PM then realize arrival time at 2PM means that's what time the wheels hit the ground. Now you're doing a slow burn. "Hurry up, get to the terminal". You see there's a few planes ahead of you. You look out and see a couple ground workers telling a joke and laughing. "Don't they know I only have 90 minutes" - looks at watch and realizes its now down to about 75 minutes. "Hurry up guys, come one, I got a ship to get to". You're at the back of the plane and realize everyone in front of you has to get off first. By the time you hit the inside of the terminal and make it to your luggage area its 2:30. You have one hour. You wait, and wait for the carousel to start up. You wait some more. "Finally, here comes the luggage. God why do our bags always come out last!". Finally they show up you run out front to get a cab. "Hurry, you have to get me to the port! I have only (looks at watch) 35 minutes". Traffic is a nightmare getting to the port. There's been an accident on the I95 and there's a bit of a tie up. You sit there, looking at your watch counting the minutes down. You arrive at the terminal later than expected. You rush up to the desk only to find out the ship has already been cleared for departure by Homeland Security and no more passengers are allowed on. You stand there on the pier, bags in hand watching as your ship sails off without you. Well, at least you saved $150 on a hotel room you think when it dawns on you "I need to purchase a hotel room tonight".

Even if only the delay happens and everything else works out just fine, you're going to be chewing your fingernails off the entire day. No thanks! A few years ago we were flying from Portland Maine, two days early for a cruise in February. We arrived at the airport at 5AM to be greeted by red cancelled flights everywhere in the Northeast. We were calm and cool. We were flying two days early so we had options. The first thing we were told was it would be Monday before they could get us out of Portland - our cruise sailed on Sunday! We looked for options. We ended up cabbing it from Portland Maine to Boston at a cost of $300. Flew from Boston to Atlanta then to West Palm. Limo from West Palm to Miami and arrived at 2AM. We were exhausted but we made the cruise.

Stuff happens. You have to be willing to say $150 is worth missing my cruise for before making that decision. You'll have all kinds of people tell you they do that all the time and they do. But many get caught and a number of them end up on cruise critic crying the blues because they missed the cruise and big bad cruise company wont give them money back.

Up to you but I think you're nuts to try that in the winter for the little bit of money you're going to save,

Just to be clear, even the best insurance policy will not cover this:

* Boarding with everyone else and the joy of starting a cruise.

* Sailaway

* First day at sea knowing you are really on vacation

* The downer of missing your ship

* Dealing with all the hassles of possibly catching up with your ship, etc

* The constant "I told you so" from you ever loving spouse

I wouldn't risk it, even in summer. You also need to consider the possibility of weather delays. I'd be so stressed with concern that something would go wrong and I'd miss the ship, that saving a bit of money isn't worth it to me.

This is exactly what happened to us this summer. It was this past July and were leaving at 3:30pm from Providence to Tampa on a sunny day, or so we thought! We actually left after 8:30pm due to delays from OTHER flights that were delayed because storms across the country. Thankfully we were not headed for a cruise or any other time deadline that we had to meet. Never thought we would be entering our hotel room after 12 midnight!:eek:

OK guys, I got it!!! Advice will be taken. Now I need to find a decent budget hotel.........

Can you tell we like telling stories here? Even if you're convinced the stories may go on. I hope you can roll with that. and I really hope you enjoy the extra day away from PA weather this winter. have a wonderful cruise.

Can you tell we like telling stories here? Even if you're convinced the stories may go on. I hope you can roll with that. and I really hope you enjoy the extra day away from PA weather this winter. have a wonderful cruise.

I'm glad all of these posts convinced you, BiXLL. And, yes, we like telling stories so here's one more.

I like the adrenaline rush from taking risks. However, unless we are driving to the port, we always fly in (from PHL or ACY or EWR) a day or two beforehand. Our last cruise was out of Port Canaveral on February 15th. On Valentine's Day, our 10 AM flight was cancelled for bad weather. The USAir rep tried to close down the line for standby assignments right before it was my turn. I insisted they give me a standby to West Palm Beach. The standby flight was full. We got on the reassigned flight at 6:30 PM. I drove from West palm to Port Canaveral and got it in midnight. Since it was the day before the cruise, it was an adventure, not a calamity.

The other family members always fly in the day of from Hartford. Although my daughter, SIL, and granddaughter made the Southwest flight to MCO and got on the shuttle to PC, my SIL's mother wasn't as lucky. She missed the flight and had to book a long flight on American to Cozumel to catch up with the ship two days later.

Jan. 17th we will be doing our second cruise. Last time we flew in a day early. This time in researching flights my best bet would be a flight that does not even land in FLL until 8:10 PM on the 16th.

There is a flight on the 17th that arrives at 10:10 am and I think that should allow plenty of time to get to the port in Miami. It would save me a little over $50.00 for the flight plus hotel fees.

I am a little worried about flying out of Pittsburgh in mid Jan., but really, how many flights are actually cancelled?

I guess I am looking for comments, does anybody fly in the day of their cruise, am I being stupid here?

Flying from Pittsburgh in mid-January? I'd definitely fly in a day ahead of time,

Maybe even two days in case of weather-related cancellations

Just to put one more 'don't do it reason' out there...

This was not a cruise, but my son's destination wedding several years ago.

After boarding our plane the pilot came on and announced that our flight had

been cancelled due to a snow storm in Las Vegas & the city was virtually shut down. I thought he was kidding.....but he wasn't!

So, if it can happen in Vegas it can happen anywhere;)

Happy sailing and look into the Best Western Inn on the Bay & Marina in Miami. They have some very good reviews & they offer free transport from the airport & shuttle to the Pier (it's a package deal I think). And, it seems to be well located & a reasonable price.

Jan. 17th we will be doing our second cruise. Last time we flew in a day early. This time in researching flights my best bet would be a flight that does not even land in FLL until 8:10 PM on the 16th.

There is a flight on the 17th that arrives at 10:10 am and I think that should allow plenty of time to get to the port in Miami. It would save me a little over $50.00 for the flight plus hotel fees.

I am a little worried about flying out of Pittsburgh in mid Jan., but really, how many flights are actually cancelled?

I guess I am looking for comments, does anybody fly in the day of their cruise, am I being stupid here?

I am a proven cheapskate but even I would not risk it for $50... :)

I am a proven cheapskate but even I would not risk it for $50... :)
Just as a fyi, its not just $50.00, its $50.00 in airfare then add in the what $150.00+ for hotel stay? Edited by BiXLL

You want to know how paranoid I am about getting to the ship on time? I live on Long Island and we are sailing out of New York City on a Sunday. We are spending the night in Manhattan on Saturday. With no traffic on a Sunday it would normally be a 45-50 ride to the port from my house.

I was only kidding about the paranoid part. I got the Queen tickets to Jersey Boys on Saturday and it makes no sense to drive in for the show, home to sleep and then back to the port in the morning. What makes it even better was getting the hotel for the night in Times Square, using points off of our hotel card and it being Broadway Week, got tickets for half price, 2nd row mezzanine.

Nice way to start the vacation.

:D

wasiii

PS just a thought. The only way I would even consider flying in the same day was if I got my air through the cruise line. It's not foolproof but if your flight was late, there would probably be other cruisers on it too, they would wait for you. Not guaranteed at all though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I'm just north of NYC and cruising in January. You better believe it that I will be booking a room the night before the cruise if the weather looks bad.

Metro north in. Walk to hotel. Over to tkts booth. Go to show and dinner Back to hotel. Walk or cab to port in the morning

Alternately a 45 minute ride in the morning of the cruise if there are no weather issues. But I already have one of the boyfriends with the truck on alert that he is driving us in. He knows that is his job oh and to keep my dd happy lol

Even living so close I still have a plan b at the ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Had a fabulous 12 day cruise on the Breakaway booked for the beginning of February and the price almost too good to be true. DS has points for me to fly into NYC.................such a deal!

Then I started having second thoughts, I'm a native to New England and have lived in New York so looking at the calendar I'm pretty such that there will be some lousy weather during travel time.

So when should I fly into NYC, will the seas be rough coming and/or going? Putting it altogether it started to get that clunking sound. I'm not a great flyer and add waiting for flights that are backed up would put me in a less than pleasant mood. I just don't have the patience and know it.

The answer was really quite simple and I changed our cruise to an 11 day out of Miami and I'll fly in the day before. A little more pricey, but much more likely that weather will not be a major issue.

Plan ahead, make allowances for the inevitable snafus and you'll have a great cruise without the stress. And do fly/drive so you'll arrive the day before. You'll board the next day with the first groups, enjoy a great lunch and be ready for a fabulous vacation.

Our cruise out of Miami last Dec...we made our reservations for the day before, had a great hotel reserved...flying out of Dallas, what could go wrong???? Only 7" of ice the night before...They didn’t cancel our flight until after 1pm so we had to scramble to get a flight out of Austin the next morning but it wasn’t going to Miami, it was going to Ft Lauderdale...we had no transportation set up for Ft Lauderdale to Miami. We had to run from one plane to the other in Atlanta and got to Ft Lauderdale at about 1:30 pm on sail day.....we just managed to get a shuttle from the NCL booth at the airport and got there just in time...we got boarded 15 min before the muster drill...I never want to cut it that close again and that was with flight the day before...way stressful. :eek: