alaska cruise tour 8B question

jeannie126

Does the alaska cruisetour 8B take a bus from anchorage to seward precruise?iI believe it does and if so I have heard about the grandview railroad and wondered if it was worth giving up the free bus transportation to the ship to try and take the train. I will have been on a train for the cruise tour for 6 days previous and wondered if that was enough without paying the extra. any advice appreciated.

• 3 years later...

We are booked on cruise tour 8B in August 2019. The train from Anchorage to Seward sounds wonderful. This will be our first Alaskan cruise and we have absolutely no experience with a cruise tour. I'm wondering if our luggage would be transported to the ship on the bus if we elected to take the train, or if we would have to take our luggage on the train with us.

If anyone would like to offer any additional advice or suggestions regarding cruise tours any help would be appreciated.

When we did our SB Alaska cruise tour in June, 2017, we were all on the bus from Anchorage to Seward. There wasn't an option for train that I know of. We enjoyed the ride and scenery. I would guess though if you have an option to take the train, your luggage most likely would stay on the bus. I say that as our cruise tour director personally oversaw the loading of each piece of luggage so changes are, as they are responsible for that, they may want it to stay on there. Especially for delivering to your room in Seward.

Erika

We did the southbound this past June. We did not do the pre tour, but booked through Air2Sea for all transportation. We were given a choice from Anchorage to Seward - bus at no additional charge or train for an additional $40 pp. The six hour train ride was the best money spent on the entire trip. This is a “don’t miss”.

Our luggage was taken separately from Anchorage to The ship via bus or truck.

Just to add, the train is glass top with full views. Seating is at tables and food/drinks are available (charge extra).

Edited by HicksRA

We are booked on cruise tour 8B in August 2019. The train from Anchorage to Seward sounds wonderful. This will be our first Alaskan cruise and we have absolutely no experience with a cruise tour. I'm wondering if our luggage would be transported to the ship on the bus if we elected to take the train, or if we would have to take our luggage on the train with us.

If anyone would like to offer any additional advice or suggestions regarding cruise tours any help would be appreciated.

I am on the 8b tour in August, too. I'm on Celebrity, but I understand that the tours are almost identical. I am looking for information on schedules and optional excursions for the land portion. What Celebrity provides is very vague. Can anyone help?

We did a southbound cruise tour on RC starting in Fairbanks and ending in Seward in July 2017. Our trip had 3 legs of train travel (absolutely beautiful) and a bus from Anchorage to Seward. I inquired about taking the train instead to Seward and was told that if we chose to do that, train travel would be at our cost and we would have to take all our luggage with us on the train and we would have to inform our tour quide we were leaving the tour and getting to the cruise pier was our responsibility. I believe the train station was fairly close to the cruise pier, but glad we didn't have to worry about luggage. From Anchorage, the next time we saw our luggage, it was in our cabin on the ship. The train travel would also not be on the RC train cars. I have also heard the train trip from Anchorage to Seward is beautiful, but the bus trip was scenic also. We opted to stay with the group and went by bus. It was just more convenient with luggage and it was already paid for.

We did a southbound cruise tour on RC starting in Fairbanks and ending in Seward in July 2017. Our trip had 3 legs of train travel (absolutely beautiful) and a bus from Anchorage to Seward. I inquired about taking the train instead to Seward and was told that if we chose to do that, train travel would be at our cost and we would have to take all our luggage with us on the train and we would have to inform our tour quide we were leaving the tour and getting to the cruise pier was our responsibility. I believe the train station was fairly close to the cruise pier, but glad we didn't have to worry about luggage. From Anchorage, the next time we saw our luggage, it was in our cabin on the ship. The train travel would also not be on the RC train cars. I have also heard the train trip from Anchorage to Seward is beautiful, but the bus trip was scenic also. We opted to stay with the group and went by bus. It was just more convenient with luggage and it was already paid for.

From your description, I believe we will be on the same tour that you took. If the train ride is not offered as an option, we will also chose to take the bus with the group. I am wondering if you had access to the information on the optional tours offered on the cruise tour prior to the cruise, or if you had to wait until you met the tour guide in Fairbanks.

This is exactly the information I'm looking for, Lorraine.
From what I've been reading, it seems that the information is not made available before the cruise. People have posted that they had to wait and get it from the tour director the first day of the cruise tour. I'm hoping that those who have been on a recent cruise tour can answer this question.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

From what I've been reading, it seems that the information is not made available before the cruise. People have posted that they had to wait and get it from the tour director the first day of the cruise tour. I'm hoping that those who have been on a recent cruise tour can answer this question.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I have heard, on the Alaska boards, that folks have been able to get the pre-cruise information. I asked my TA (who will NEVER be my TA again, for many reasons) and she said that we had to wait until we got there. I will continue to try and closer to the cruise try Celebrity to get the info. Lorraine - what are the dates of your cruise? Our land portion starts on 8/18 and we get on the ship 8/24.

Anne

From your description, I believe we will be on the same tour that you took. If the train ride is not offered as an option, we will also chose to take the bus with the group. I am wondering if you had access to the information on the optional tours offered on the cruise tour prior to the cruise, or if you had to wait until you met the tour guide in Fairbanks.

They tend to give out very little information on the excursions on the land portion. This was our second cruise tour and I am a planner and was extremely anxious the first time not knowing what would be available. You will receive all the excursions available to your particular cruise tour the first day/night you meet with your tour guide. The guides we have had are very informative and have even experienced some of the excursions themselves. We were told the reason they do not give them out earlier is because of weather, wildlife, and water situations. Weather can change quickly and we have seen many cancellations of mostly helicopters/planes that are involved in some of the excursions. Wildlife can definitely delay the train when heading to your next destination. Water excursions depend on how rough, cold, and depth. We were told that the excursions change sometimes on a weekly basis.

Having said all that, after meeting with your tour guide you can make decisions on what you want to do right then or think it over and make reservations later. We have been able to reserve something we decided to do the morning of. It is a fairly easy process and there are several choices of things to do at each stop from adventurous to laid back.

Hope this helps ease your mind somewhat. Alaska is a wonderful place. We have been 3 times and will most likely go back again. If you love scenery and wildlife you will certainly enjoy your time there. If you have any other questions, I will try to answer them for you.

Does the alaska cruisetour 8B take a bus from anchorage to seward precruise?iI believe it does and if so I have heard about the grandview railroad and wondered if it was worth giving up the free bus transportation to the ship to try and take the train. I will have been on a train for the cruise tour for 6 days previous and wondered if that was enough without paying the extra. any advice appreciated.

All cruise tours take the bus from anchorage to Seward and visa versa. Our tour guide explained the train is too profitable for single day fairs to cruise ports to justify tour operation cars being added to that train route [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question for those of you who have done a cruisetour in the past, how do you pay for your additional excursions that you can add onto your cruisetour? Will these be charged to our onboard account or is it cash or credit card. We are doing 4B in May and want to make sure we have what is needed.

Question for those of you who have done a cruisetour in the past, how do you pay for your additional excursions that you can add onto your cruisetour? Will these be charged to our onboard account or is it cash or credit card. We are doing 4B in May and want to make sure we have what is needed.

We just used our credit card. The tour guides can swipe and the train takes credit cards for your meals should you get any. They are generous portions and very tasty on RC Wilderness Express.

Another tip to remember is that any meals you purchase in Alaska, the prices may be slightly higher than what you are used to in the lower 48.

We just used our credit card. The tour guides can swipe and the train takes credit cards for your meals should you get any. They are generous portions and very tasty on RC Wilderness Express.

Another tip to remember is that any meals you purchase in Alaska, the prices may be slightly higher than what you are used to in the lower 48.

Great, thanks.

Hi ,

We did precruise Tour 8B in August 2017. The tour director gave us this information in Fairbanks. I hope these help and if anyone has any questions I hope I can answer them.

Kim

imagejpegimagejpegimagejpegimagejpeg

Sorry having problems loading the photos of the forms... I’ll keep trying!imagepng

Thanks for trying. I sometimes have difficulty loading pictures too!

They tend to give out very little information on the excursions on the land portion. This was our second cruise tour and I am a planner and was extremely anxious the first time not knowing what would be available. You will receive all the excursions available to your particular cruise tour the first day/night you meet with your tour guide. The guides we have had are very informative and have even experienced some of the excursions themselves. We were told the reason they do not give them out earlier is because of weather, wildlife, and water situations. Weather can change quickly and we have seen many cancellations of mostly helicopters/planes that are involved in some of the excursions. Wildlife can definitely delay the train when heading to your next destination. Water excursions depend on how rough, cold, and depth. We were told that the excursions change sometimes on a weekly basis.

Having said all that, after meeting with your tour guide you can make decisions on what you want to do right then or think it over and make reservations later. We have been able to reserve something we decided to do the morning of. It is a fairly easy process and there are several choices of things to do at each stop from adventurous to laid back.

Hope this helps ease your mind somewhat. Alaska is a wonderful place. We have been 3 times and will most likely go back again. If you love scenery and wildlife you will certainly enjoy your time there. If you have any other questions, I will try to answer them for you.

Thank you so much for sharing this helpful information. The reason they do not make the optional land tours available earlier now makes sense. It's good to know that reserving the tours after we arrive will be an easy process.

Alaska has been one of my husbands bucket list destinations for a long time. We're very much excited about finally getting there! We both love seeing widlife and beautiful scenery also, so I have a feeling that this may not be our only trip!

Looked up the train schedule from Anchorage to Seward One way. Train has one stop in Girdwood which is 40 miles from Anchorage.

Prices looks like $ 108 pp for the Adventure Class and $ 212 for the Goldstar Service.

Looks like departure time 6:45am and arrives in Seward at 11:05am which is a perfect time to board Radiance of the Seas.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/sites/default/files/Marketing/2018-Alaska-Railroad-Schedules-Fares.pdf

I think when you add in the extras that are included with the Goldstar Service, much better value possible. Glass Dome Ceiling cars and(also outside viewing area available )and a (breakfast)meal and 2 drinks included plus free soft drinks.

So I guess if we can handle our luggage Goldstar would be the way we would go.

Bus ride looks to be about 130 miles, 2 1/2 hours.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo