Any Cabo San Lucas port calls cancelled?

kangforpres

What would you at Cabo - sit on the ship and watch the destruction. The city certainly does not need a bunch of gawkers off a cruise ship to add to their problems. If you want to help them so badly, make a donation to the groups that are dealing with the issues on the ground.

DON

Haven't seen any information yet about the "on the ground" organizations. Please post any that you have.

What would you at Cabo - sit on the ship and watch the destruction. The city certainly does not need a bunch of gawkers off a cruise ship to add to their problems. If you want to help them so badly, make a donation to the groups that are dealing with the issues on the ground.

DON

My thoughts exactly. Tourists would just be in the way at this time and pose a real nuisance. The infrastructure has been destroyed and basic needs of the residents cannot be met. Where do these eager to visit people think they will go when they get ashore? Where will they eat and find restroom facilities? Roads are destroyed so how will they travel? You can't shop if the stores are flattened.

A contribution to the Red Cross or some other aid organisation would help the citizens of Cabo now better than a tourist presence. Give them time to restore before you descend on them.

We are scheduled to visit in April which may or may not happen. We will be most understanding should HAL cancel that port of call.

We are scheduled to visit in April which may or may not happen. We will be most understanding should HAL cancel that port of call.

This is exactly what I was thinking too Sapper1. I was thinking April may be too soon. I wish the best for the people and want them to look after themselves and their family and not try to get things "presentable" to tourists. It is behind the scenes that matter and if the money goes to optics you know the people are suffering.

My thoughts exactly. Tourists would just be in the way at this time and pose a real nuisance. The infrastructure has been destroyed and basic needs of the residents cannot be met. Where do these eager to visit people think they will go when they get ashore? Where will they eat and find restroom facilities? Roads are destroyed so how will they travel? You can't shop if the stores are flattened.

A contribution to the Red Cross or some other aid organisation would help the citizens of Cabo now better than a tourist presence. Give them time to restore before you descend on them.

Well said, sapper. The devastation is awful, the thought of groups of cruise tourists gawping around is so distasteful. No roads, taxis, restaurants, bathrooms - in fact, the town is destroyed. Send food, money and water - give them time to recover. It will probably take a very, very long time.

The only reason for a cruise ship to stop at Cabo right now, IMO, would be to deliver water/food/building supplies and go on their way. Cruise ship passengers have no reason to be there now unless they were to spend the day clearing debris or assisting in physical labor. Doubtful that is going to be scheduled into cruise ship itinerary.

DH and I are on the Zuiderdam in just over a week and we are supposed to be calling here. The damage looks pretty bad, but I hope that they don't cancel this port. When a disaster like this happens what they need is $$$$ and plenty of them so to cut off even a small amount would be such a shame for them. I for one would not mind having 'less' if my visit could help in even a small way.

Anne-Marie

Hmm.. They certainly would not want your tourist $$$ this way! Take a look at the devastation! Doubt they would welcome any tourists at this time, as it will take many months or possibly even years to get the towns back in shape again..

DON

My thoughts exactly!..No reason for HAL to stop there unless they are delivering supplies...Even then, they probably would have to anchor out & ferry the supplies in..

My thoughts exactly!..No reason for HAL to stop there unless they are delivering supplies...Even then, they probably would have to anchor out & ferry the supplies in..

Cabo is a tender port. All the pictures from the Marina area indicate that the Marina is heavily damaged :( The road from La Paz is reported to be open again, so if a ship was going to drop off supplies, probably Pichilingue would be the closest place that may have a functioning dock area.

OK - I think I need to post a bit of a clarification here. I have read all your comments and couldn't agree more - gawkers (we call them rubber neckers) have no place in a devastated area.

My comment, and I obviously need to coach it a bit more carefully, was more on the lines that should HAL decide to stop at Cabo (and of course I have no control over that) then I would not complain. How many times have I heard on cruises that when a port is cancelled for any reason - weather mainly - the whinges and whines from some pax.

HAL will decide what is best - I am completely in their hands.

If they deem that their visit is appropriate then fine. If conversely they decide that the visit is inappropriate then fine again. And yes, I would be most pleased to drop $$ into a fund.

I actually live in a hurricane area and have been thru my fair share. After the first basics have been taken care of - water, power, shelter etc then what most people seem to want is a return to some semblance of normality. How long this will take I don't know, but I certainly wish all the people affected that the 'new normality' (because some things will never be the same again) comes as quickly as possible

Edited by Lotsasmiles

Just some fyi that I have found.

Here's a link ( I hope ) to webcams of several places in Mexico. The cam in Loreto is working but the one in Cabo looks like it hasn't been updated since 9/14. Reports I have heard are that the malecon in Loreto is cleaned up & power has been or is being restored. La Paz has intermittent services & I haven't anything recent on Cabo so can't comment on that.

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-loreto.html

The following you tube video is of La Paz..

By doing a search on youtube with Huracán Odile cabo a number of videos come up.

Now just hoping Polo veers away from Baja so they can proceed with recovery.

We are booked for Carnival Miracle Oct. 11-18th. So sad to see all the devastation this hurricane has caused to the beautiful city of Cabo.

I hope they are able to recover from this soon. I think Carnival will reroute us to another port. We have been to this port twice before and really enjoyed the people, sights and the blue, blue waters.

If you're interested in helping animals, Los Cabos Humane Society was completely devastated. I'm not tech savvy enough to post a link but I googled it and found their website.

Thank you for the name of the Society.

I googled and got this link:

http://loscaboshumanesociety.com/

Wow how sad. I did not know the storm had hit there so severely.

The media coverage has been interesting, and lacking. Even people who have made it out have been surprised by it. One man who made it back was interviewed on an Los Angeles radio station today...he said he was surprised by the lack of coverage here, and we have no idea how bad it really is down there.

He and a friend had to drive from Cabo to La Paz to get a flight out. He said the La Paz airport was a madhouse, since the Los Cabos airport is closed. Also said the looters aren't stealing TV's and stereos, but food and water, because there isn't any.

Maybe if the damage had been in Cancun, or Grand Cayman, it would be national news, only because of the east coast media familiarity with the Caribbean. Not many people on the east coast go to Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos or La Paz.

Edited by Boatdrill

Several of the resorts in Cabo will not reopen for nearly a year. Many of the resorts will not be accepting guests until the end of November or early December. Landline phone service is nearly 100% restored. Cell service is very spotty. You can get from Cabo to LaPaz if you go the Todo Santos way.

The reason there is no news coverage is until 24 hours before Odile hit it was supposed to go west and Cabo was only going to receive a glancing blow. It suddenly turned east and we took a direct hit. One of the weather channel reporters was on his way there but got stuck in Mexico City as all flights to Cabo were cancelled.

Military personnel and additional Federal Police are arriving on the scene. A curfew has been instituted from 8pm to 8am. Owners are protecting homes with baseball bats. Looting is wide spread. The first video below is short and shows looting from WalMart and Sam's Club. The second video is nearly 8 minutes long but really shows the devastation in San Jose del Cabo.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1500156293565530&set=o.1468139160130823&type=2&theater

http://www.bajainsider.com/weather/hurricanes/odilevideocabosanlucas.html

Edited by Laminator

Have been watching the world news the last couple of days.

Very sad to see such a lovely port destroyed. We have been there a couple of dozen times over the years and now have only memories and pictures of our times there.

It will certainly take a long time for Cabo and surrounding areas to recover.

I'm shocked at how little news coverage I've seen in Canada. Most of what I've found out has been on the internet. I think in the days to come, as the telecom infrastructure gets repaired, we are going to be even more heartbroken over the damage that entire area has suffered.