Any Cabo San Lucas port calls cancelled?

kangforpres

I know some of the Canal re-positioning cruises stop there on the way down and I'm wondering if they will skip since the place is a complete disaster due to the Hurricane. I've heard that downtown and the Marina got hit really hard.

I'll be there for and an all-inclusive Nov. 10-14, hopefully if recovering goes as planned and they don't get hit by another storm.

-Paul

I know some of the Canal re-positioning cruises stop there on the way down and I'm wondering if they will skip since the place is a complete disaster due to the Hurricane. I've heard that downtown and the Marina got hit really hard.

I'll be there for and an all-inclusive Nov. 10-14, hopefully if recovering goes as planned and they don't get hit by another storm.

-Paul

If I was on a cruise I would not want to stop in Cabo now.

The Mexican govt. can not get the 30,000 tourists out of Cabo fast enough now. They are using govt. planes to fly them to other Mexican cities so they can fly home from there. It's likely there will be no power for 3 weeks and possibly more. You need to make sure the hotel you're staying in will be accepting guests by then. Some of the hotels will be closed for months.

Edited by Laminator

Having cruised post Katrina in January 2006, I would say that it will take months for them to recover. We have been to Cabo twice (our friends own a timeshare - Solmar) Construction takes a long time there. I would chat with regulars on the Trip Advisor Cabo forum (I think I am allowed to mention Trip adviser since its a sister site) They will keep you current on the status of all the resorts. It's one of the friendliest forums I've experienced! Good luck!

DH and I are on the Zuiderdam in just over a week and we are supposed to be calling here. The damage looks pretty bad, but I hope that they don't cancel this port. When a disaster like this happens what they need is $$$$ and plenty of them so to cut off even a small amount would be such a shame for them. I for one would not mind having 'less' if my visit could help in even a small way.

Anne-Marie

DH and I are on the Zuiderdam in just over a week and we are supposed to be calling here. The damage looks pretty bad, but I hope that they don't cancel this port. When a disaster like this happens what they need is $$$$ and plenty of them so to cut off even a small amount would be such a shame for them. I for one would not mind having 'less' if my visit could help in even a small way.

Anne-Marie

Please come back and let us know if you do get into Cabo.

There is a lot of damage in and around Cabo. Not just hotels, beaches, also houses and roads. Check those photos and links.

https://www.facebook.com/campos.josue/media_set?set=a.875810892430953.1073741833.100000061516698&type=1

It might take a whil before things are back as before.

Edited by Ine

Anne-Marie

For the most part all of the stores in the area of the cruise ship dock have been damaged and/or looted. There is no landline or cell communications. Telcel is bringing in 18 emergency power plants and 200 hundred technicians. The electric company is loading trucks onto barges out of Topolobambo to bring them to LaPaz and then down to Cabo. Food/Supplies are also being brought in by ship as the roads down the Baja are damaged.

Let's hope the Zuiderdam stops in San Diego and brings a few thousand cases of water and also food. That is what Cabo needs right now.

Edited by Laminator

For the most part all of the stores in the area of the cruise ship dock have been damaged and/or looted. There is no landline or cell communications. Telcel is bringing in 18 emergency power plants and 200 hundred technicians. The electric company is loading trucks onto barges out of Topolobambo to bring them to LaPaz and then down to Cabo. Food/Supplies are also being brought in by ship as the roads down the Baja are damaged.

Let's hope the Zuiderdam stops in San Diego and brings a few thousand cases of water and also food. That is what Cabo needs right now.

I'm so sorry to read how much damage and how the people must be suffering. HAL has been known to carry emergency supplies to ports and, if possible, I suspect you may see some tenders come ashore with water and food. I recall reading of them doing that in the past.

Sending all best wishes for the badly needed help and quick restoration/rebuild.

I am sure that the cruise lines will adjust itineraries and provide passengers with a good cruise experience.

I hope they return to Baja ports as soon as possible, and that passengers go and buy something... anything, just to help the local economy.

In addition to Cabo, La Paz was also hit. Tropical Storm Polo is queuing up and may reach hurricane strength within days... same path.

The area is simply devastated, and tourist dependent. Please be compassionate and bear this in mind and do what you can.

I am sure that the cruise lines will adjust itineraries and provide passengers with a good cruise experience.

I hope they return to Baja ports as soon as possible, and that passengers go and buy something... anything, just to help the local economy.

In addition to Cabo, La Paz was also hit. Tropical Storm Polo is queuing up and may reach hurricane strength within days... same path.

The area is simply devastated, and tourist dependent. Please be compassionate and bear this in mind and do what you can.

Loreto was hit badly, too. Tonight DH and I will be discussing changing our vacation plans for this coming winter -- maybe we will go back to Loreto.

I'm also very worried about Loreto. What a charming little town. Hal only goes there now about once a year.

I can only imagine the kind of devastation they may have encountered.

I have only been able to find one picture and no actual reports about Loreto. :( If I can find the pic again I will post a link. I suspect that it may look less dramatic in photos than Cabo does, but only because there aren't all the enormous resorts with all that glass broken all over.

Am very concerned.

I have only been able to find one picture and no actual reports about Loreto. :( If I can find the pic again I will post a link. I suspect that it may look less dramatic in photos than Cabo does, but only because there aren't all the enormous resorts with all that glass broken all over.

Am very concerned.

Thanks CowPrincess that would be nice if you can find it. Loreto is much more rural Mexico then Cabo. Though once you get off the beaten paths in Cabo you will find the same ruralness that is in Loreto. We came very close to buying a place in Loreto. It is just a beautiful area, I'm keeping my fingers crossed they did not substain major damage.

I can't find the pic :( sorry :( It must be buried in some story that I read.

Found some people on FB located in Loreto, and no posts or pics from any of them since the storm hit. I suspect we are safe in assuming that services are reduced or nonexistent.

We too have talked about buying a place in Loreto. Very glad we passed on Inns of Loreto Bay :D though some neighbours bought there, and everyone seems to have managed to keep it together despite the receivership (or whatever exactly it was that happened).

Hopefully we will start hearing more about Loreto soon. I can't see them NOT having enormous damage, given the construction of many of the buildings, and the fairly direct hit they took.

I can't find the pic :( sorry :( It must be buried in some story that I read.

Found some people on FB located in Loreto, and no posts or pics from any of them since the storm hit. I suspect we are safe in assuming that services are reduced or nonexistent.

We too have talked about buying a place in Loreto. Very glad we passed on Inns of Loreto Bay :D though some neighbours bought there, and everyone seems to have managed to keep it together despite the receivership (or whatever exactly it was that happened).

Hopefully we will start hearing more about Loreto soon. I can't see them NOT having enormous damage, given the construction of many of the buildings, and the fairly direct hit they took.

Us too, we looked hard and long at the Inns of Loreto Bay. We came so close but luckily we decided against it.

Anne-Marie

What would you at Cabo - sit on the ship and watch the destruction. The city certainly does not need a bunch of gawkers off a cruise ship to add to their problems. If you want to help them so badly, make a donation to the groups that are dealing with the issues on the ground.

DON