1st time cruiser annoyed before we sail!

djbo

I hope that is not the official line Sharon. Posts that are venting frustration or expressing opinions that may be contentious, provided they are genuinely held thoughts and opinions must have their place. What you suggest does also have it's place of course but if the forums are restricted to that, they will become bland, dull and boring. I accept that trolling has no place here but this does not appear to be an issue on these forums (apart maybe for the odd Norwegian night time posting from fjord cruises)!

There is no "official line" Pete. I just didn't want a new member to consider that was all that CC was about.

We once booked at holiday with Thomson 15 months in advance. A couple who we met booked 6 weeks before the holiday for half the price and got a better room. We were cross at the time, but on reflection I suppose it is just how it is. We also booked a cruise at the end of May for the following August and saved a fortune ----------

Having said that, usually book early to ensure that we get what we want. Don't like to chance not getting a rubbish cabin.

I agree, we always book early to get what we want/need.

We once booked at holiday with Thomson 15 months in advance. A couple who we met booked 6 weeks before the holiday for half the price and got a better room. We were cross at the time, but on reflection I suppose it is just how it is. We also booked a cruise at the end of May for the following August and saved a fortune ----------

Having said that, usually book early to ensure that we get what we want. Don't like to chance not getting a rubbish cabin.

It does seem to be one of the British quirks "How much did you pay?" on both land and sea based holidays, plus the checking after you have booked to see if its gone up or down.

I dont think its an endemic elsewhere in the world, just one of those things us Brits do.

It does seem to be one of the British quirks "How much did you pay?" on both land and sea based holidays, plus the checking after you have booked to see if its gone up or down.

I dont think its an endemic elsewhere in the world, just one of those things us Brits do.

I doubt very much that it is 'endemic' at all.

According to posters, people do not discuss the price of their holiday once on board.

However, because cruise prices particularly are so changeable and these boards enable lengthy and sometimes disgruntled discussions it may seem that way.

It pays to keep one's mouth firmly closed once on board re price you paid. I recollect on Arcadia 2 years ago, we got a 2 for 1 deal on the Arcadia world cruise, Sydney to Southampton sector - 49 days. We booked only 4 weeks before sailing, due to vacant cabins becoming available from Sydney.

The ship of course had 90% Brits on board and the rest mainly Aussies like us who boarded in Sydney. Some loudmouthed Aussie on board (not I !!) bragged to the Brits he met how much he paid, with the result the word spread through the ship and many a Brit we met on board, told us what they had heard and was it true? A few, not many resented the fact we were cruising for £50 a day and they had paid double that by booking the whole WC very early.

Normally I am an early booker, I like to secure a decent cabin, already booked Aurora and Oriana for Sept/Oct next year, but I feel we got a reasonable price.

Just my 2 bobs worth, anyway, happy cruising everybody, no matter what you pay.

Edited by NSWP

I doubt very much that it is 'endemic' at all.

According to posters, people do not discuss the price of their holiday once on board.

However, because cruise prices particularly are so changeable and these boards enable lengthy and sometimes disgruntled discussions it may seem that way.

It got so bad at one time, that in the 70's mainstream Saturday night comedy shows had "How much?" Sketches set in holiday destinations mirroring real life.

Yes. It is a British trait that came in with the popularisation of the package holiday back then and has continued ever since.

Thank you. We obviously spend our vacations with different kinds of people.:) Even on cruises, I have been blessed to be with folk who do not discuss such matters.

I have never been asked what we paid, neither have I ever thought of asking. It's of no interest to me what others paid.

Got a good Saver price on the Oriana but in casual conversation with another passenger she let 'drop' that she'd paid £xx which was even cheaper than we had paid. One minute of annoyance and then it was forgotten.

Having said that, the price on a Celebrity cruise dropped £300 pp with £200 being after we'd paid the balance. Human nature - we were cross, but then realised that the original price was ridiculously cheap anyway, good deal, good cabin, good holiday; what more could anyone want?

I have never been asked what we paid, neither have I ever thought of asking. It's of no interest to me what others paid.

If someone were to ask me, I'd answer something to the effect of 'I don’t remember. Money isn't really an issue for us."

A downright lie, but it should kill the conversation dead. With the added bonus of annoying the tactless fool.

Agree entirely.

To borrow a phrase from the land of the Star Spangled Banner....."Don't ask. Don't tell.

Has served me well over the past couple of years.

Hi, just to add my point of view, I am sorry that you feel upset and hope it doesn't spoil your cruise. The rule of thumb is never to ask what someone paid, there will be some winners and losers and no rhyme or reason as to when to book.

Not to brag, but to give constructive input I have booked select for my next cruise so that I can guarantee my cabin, which dinner sitting, free coach and the weekend I booked I got extra OBC, so now I can relax, currently I am still better off than a saver fare but expect that as the weeks go on it may be discounted.

On the May cruise I booked late saver about 5 weeks before we went, I was checking daily to see if my cabin had been allocated, I knew which grade we were and kept on reviewing with dummy bookings to see which cabins were allocated to try and work out where we could be put (i.e. in a noisy area etc.) We got our allocation 5 days before we went and we were upgraded a couple of grades and fortunately it was an ideal location, however we did not get first sitting (my preference) so I did not see all the shows as it was too late for me. (But I fully understood this could happen and did not let it ruin my cruise.) Would I have been better off booking and paying more so that I was not stressed waiting to find out where I was on the ship?

But here is a negative, I kept on waiting this year to book a cruise in the Summer holidays on MSC for my family (the same one we were on last year) but it sold out of family cabins in May and no matter how many times I tried to book there were no cancellations on the system - the outcome was that we couldn't go on the cruise, if I hadn't of waited and booked the end of last year I would have been ok.

Your right about prices not always going down if you look at the New Orleans cruise in April next year on Oriana it's gone up £2000 since it's launch in March

It all depends how popular the cruise is.Im afraid it's swings and roundabouts,just forget and enjoy the cruise !!