Horrible proof to fly in early for a cruise :(

Medtech2

From what I heard on the news tonight, not only couldn't they use the airports in Chicago,, they couldn't even fly over a three or four state area in that vicinity. Talk about a mess.

Correct. That was an enroute ATC facility, not the local O'Hare radar facility. There is of course an emergency contingency plan in place that transfers duties to other surrounding facilities in an event like this. However, that can not be quickly done. All the immediately effected traffic must be safely taken care of first. All other traffic not yet in the affected facility's airspace rerouted or held on the ground. Then...traffic can be resumed on a very reduced basis.

Yep, driving all night is about the only option.

P.S. And mpk218, I sure hope you're not referring to the individual who tried to kill himself as a "pain in the a$$". This individual needs help, not contempt.

You would be incorrect about the poor individual . It is very apparent His first desire was to cause harm to others before himself. Hence , a pain in the A$$.

Plus the big surprise ,,, he lives.. ;)

If they have a perfect car

If they have a perfect driver that can drive that far

If they are not elderly

If.. If...

Your comment was a bit selfish as you have no idea about the abilities of those that missed the cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is risky to think that you can drive through the night without sleep. maybe ok if you have more drivers... I don't want to meet you on my side of the road.

And yes, another good reason to buy travel insurance!!

Are you suggesting that some passengers do not take out travel insurance? You have got to be a real numpty to travel anywhere without travel insurance. Is it not mandatory that you have to prove to the travel company you are insured before a booking can be finalised?

Insurance companies would loooove for that to be true, but no, you can book travel without insurance if that is your choice.

I am going out on a limb here but I'm going to guess that the person you quoted was just being sarcastic.

But one never knows as the posters here don't always clearly state what they are actually talking about. Lol

Our local news in Indianapolis was broadcasting about all the canceled flights and stranded passengers here. This wouldn't have been an option for them.

I hope those that could elected to drive.

And if they did drive that they had several capable drivers in the car too.

To be fair in the UK most companies automatically add insurance and you have to specifically unclick it. Some even ask for details of who your own insurance is with, or if you are planning on getting it. Not all companies, but most of the main airlines and major travel companies do.

Other than student back packer types I don't actually know anyone who travels without insurance - though a lot of people get it free with their bank accounts or have an annual policy. A one trip policy is about £10 to £20, which on a holiday of £1000 to £2000 really isn't much.

I guess it's different in the US though.

I was lucky yesterday. My flight through Chicago was canceled after much delay. I was reticketed at an airport 1:45 away for a flight leaving in two hours. I made it. Ran through both airports. Big thank you to passengers in the TSa line who let me cut the line.

Best news is I'm on the way to the port now.

If they got in a car right now they could drive to the cruise port and make it! I've driven to Miami for a cruise from Chicago. It's a long drive but if the option is no cruise, you do what you gotta do.

I don't feel that sorry for them. I'd make it work.

I doubt that airport car rentals would be able to get enough rental cars for all the stranded passengers requesting them, even if people doubled up, sharing cars.

Sucks............but always have a back up plan. Our next cruise is out of Tampa. We live right outside of Philly so of course will be flying out of PHL early Saturday AM for our Sunday cruise. If their are issues we can go out of Newark or Baltimore. Worse comes to worse we could drive to Tampa is 18 hours......not that I would want to ever do that buts it possible.

Off topic but Amtrak runs from Philly to Tampa - you might want to investigate the train as your backup plan to Tampa. Enjoy our city, beaches, boating, parks and nearby historic sites.

But I agree - ships don't wait (they can't) - but planning enough time to arrive gives you options. In the Navy, I can get a court-martial if I missed ships movements (so I planned so I'd never miss).

The flight situation turned out to be a "perfect"storm.

Besides the flights affected because of Chicago, the situation was compounded by weather.

I was flying out of Tampa on Southwest on 4:30 PM flight to Providence with a stop in Baltimore.

When I arrived at the gate area, there were of flights that were delayed because the incoming flights had not yet arrived.

Then the weather god struck. A massive storm front rolled in from the Florida east coast moving west. Miami and Ft Lauderdale airports were closed and flights to thoes airports diverted to Orlando. Then Orlando was closed and flights were diverted to Tampa.

So in the Southwest terminal in Tampa, we had people waiting for delayed flights due to Chicago and the passengers off diverted Orlando and Ft Lauderdale flights (no Miami because Southwest doesn't fly into Miami).

Just about the time Ft Lauderdale airport opened (4:30 PM), the front hit Tampa and Tampa was closed for 2 hours. So there we all were, passengers all over the place, airplanes parked all around the terminal and out on the tarmac.

Kudos to Tampa airport and Southwest personnel for juggling the mess.

Once the airport reopened (about 6:15 PM), the diverted flights to Ft Lauderdale and Orlando and regularly scheduled Tampa flights had to be boarded and sent off.

The changed gates were a continuous announcements and order arrived out of chaos.

For my part, I arrived in Providence 2 hours late, but arrive I did.