Generation Gap on Celebrity?

parallax

Cruising is a different experience than most other travel options. It's a captive audience. When you have a cruise ship that is carrying 3000 passengers there are a lot of diverse interests that need to be satisfied while still maintaining some kind of identity.

One thing that is sure is in general, young people don't have the money, or even more importantly, the time to cruise on a regular basis. By the time they become the loyal cruisers of tomorrow, they will also be older. Unless Celebrity plans on making their fleet into a series of very short cruises, they better pay attention to their "old loyal" cruisers.

I have been a customer since spring of 2011, if that makes me old guard than so be it.

Now, I have read the posts where many people have not perceived any change or cuts whatsoever. Just because I have doesn't make me honor their opinion less.

Honest opinion's like yours are always watched for, at least by us, cant speak for others.

We have been customers since the summer of 1994, so I guess we are re-treads:D

We have sailed around, 7 different lines, most recient,

2011 on the RCCL Freedom OTS

2012 on the Ruby Princess

2013 on the Celebrity Reflection

So yes we have gone and already done what others say they will do, and if you think the product quality has slipped, then do the same as we did. You will find the grass only grows on a Celebrity S-Class Ship.;)

ps: we are paying a lot less for 11 days on the Equinox than we did for 7 on the Freedom & Ruby.

Edited by wallie5446

I guarantee you Celebrity does listen to everyone who fills out a survey at the end of the cruise. They do market research and have someone who is monitoring these boards. While they may take into account everyone, I guarantee they weigh to a target market. That would be who they perceive to be spenders. The changes in suite benefits are a testament to that. While categories are much higher in price than before, benefits are lower for AQ and below. I don't think the marketing is conducted by post count of an individual. If it is, that is sad.

By skin in the game..I am referring to those who predominately book Celebrity. Some of us, did think Celebrity was a cut above other lines in the category. However, it seems to be deliberately downgrading itself. That is what concerned me. How far will it go? is it temporary? Will there be off setting benefits? Otherwise we will be joining the lets shop around group. Celebrity already did not have the best itineraries. We purposefully booked on it anyway, when prices were higher and itineraries were less thrilling because we perceived the value to be higher and worth it. Now marketing perception is shifting, the benefits are less. Other brands are also less generous with smoking. Look at how many people no longer expect better service or food or entertainment.

Now..my last cruise was great. Celebrity met many of my expectations, exceeded some and the low point was Blu food and it had worse service because there were less servers. Bar service was great and mediocre. Our December cruise was alright. On par with other mainstream brands.

Each figures out their own value system. But for us, we are not going to pay twice as much for less when we can pay half as much for the same. If Celebrity wants to be like other lines than I must also make adjustments.

If you have noticed, I am not the only customer saying this. Others are also watching closely. I have been a customer since spring of 2011, if that makes me old guard than so be it.

Now, I have read the posts where many people have not perceived any change or cuts whatsoever. Just because I have doesn't make me honor their opinion less.

I have to say, that anyone who books Celebrity probably thinks that they are a cut above. I added Celebrity into the mix when I was only cruising on Crystal and even though it was a difference experience, I didn't feel I was going to a downgraded cruise line. I was going on another cruise line that was different than what I was use to and I could go on more cruises, because they were considerably less expensive. I guess different people require or experience things differently. I really don't necessarily see Celebrity's changes as totally downgrading themselves, but that is just my opinion, I see it more as changing and evolving. Food on a cruise has never been a huge issue for me, I’m pretty easy to please, but I know that Celebrity’s food is not the same as it was in 2001, but I look at it as they can keep the food at those levels and raise the price of the cruises or keep the cruise at a reasonable cost and decrease the quality of the food somewhat. The food, in my opinion is better than most of the mass market cruise lines. Some might like the changes and some might not; sometimes change is not easy to swallow for some people, especially those that like to live in the past and expect things to remain the same. I know there are things in my life that if they changed, I would be angry about, thankfully cruising is not one of those things. I don't think Celebrity's marketing is done by a post count of an individual, just as their marketing is not based on the posts of individuals who are always complaining about the company or want it to stay the way it was. Their marketing team is looking to the future, while we as customers are looking maybe 2 years ahead, they are looking 5 and 10 years ahead, if not more, and how they are going to grow their customer base, cause they can't survive only having their current customer base when attrition sets in, even though I am sure we all think we will cruise and live forever. They need to attract new cruises who will be loyal customers and this is why I think they are making some of the changes they are making, because someone in their 30’s and 40’s is not necessarily going to like doing the same things as someone in their 70’s.

I see both sides. I see some of the old guard disappointed, but I see just as many newer customers (or those that shop around) very happy with the experiences they have had on their cruises. I don't know what old guard really is (I've been told that since I haven't cruised as many as some, my opinion doesn't count), I've been cruising on Celebrity since 2001, so I guess I’m a newbie.

It pretty much boils down to someone's expectations. You might have different expectations than me and visa versa, but both expectations are valid. I just know for a company to remain in a position to continue to make money and get new customers, they have to change. Celebrity, IMHO, has to not just do the things that us in the older age group might like, they have to get a more modern spin in order to attract those new cruisers, especially with all the new ships with their bells and whistles out there. With the prices of goods going up every year, they have to be able to supply a good product, but still live within their budget and make money and for anyone that has been in business that is a really hard thing to accomplish year after year after year.

As long as I come back from my Celebrity cruises (I have 3 booked) with a smile on my face and I remember more positives than negatives, then I will still continue to be a loyal customer. When the negatives outweigh the positives, then it will be time to move along.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Honest opinion's like yours are always watched for, at least by us, cant speak for others.

We have been customers since the summer of 1994, so I guess we are re-treads:D

We have sailed around, 7 different lines, most recient,

2011 on the RCCL Freedom OTS

2012 on the Ruby Princess

2013 on the Celebrity Reflection

So yes we have gone and already done what others say they will do, and if you think the product quality has slipped, then do the same as we did. You will find the grass only grows on a Celebrity S-Class Ship.;)

ps: we are paying a lot less for 11 days on the Equinox than we did for 7 on the Freedom & Ruby.

Thank you...my pricing was based on prices for 12/14 I priced before final payment. It was half price for the same dates comparing AQ to mini suite.

Would be interested in your reviews as I have not been on Princess in ten years.

Great shopping! Are you booking early or late? Share your algorithm as I cannot seen to beat the one X has. Unfortunately, we are unable to book last minute.

I'm 31 and enjoy the finer things in life, but also still up for a party atmosphere, hence why I chose Celebrity.

I found the Miami DJs ear split-tingly loud while by the pool. I was at the pool to relax, so I didn't think the volume was appropriate. We had to move as it was so loud.

The music was also loud at the Martini bar each evening, but it was appropriate because it created a fantastic vibe.

So you see, it's not the volume of music which was the problem for me, just the context.

I must admit that I felt old and frumpy on my last cruise as it was full of beautiful model types in string bikinis and lots of (well behaved) spring breakers. It really dispelled the stereotypes about the cruising public!

I think cruising has changed as the lines are seeking to attract young people like me to a type of holiday that has largely been viewed as 'uncool' and for oldies. The cruise lines want to attract people who have a large disposable income and will spend on alcohol and extras, not to mention the untapped additional market

Edited by kfowinst

I think cruising has changed as the lines are seeking to attract young people like me to a type of holiday that has largely been viewed as 'uncool' and for oldies. The cruise lines want to attract people who have a large disposable income and will spend on alcohol and extras, not to mention the untapped additional market

I agree, the cruise lines are looking for those with disposable income and the vacation time to cruise. My friends children, who are in their 30's and 40's, have 4 or 5 weeks vacation and it really seems like money is no option for them when it comes to their vacations. Edited by NLH Arizona

I have to say, that anyone who books Celebrity probably thinks that they are a cut above. I added Celebrity into the mix when I was only cruising on Crystal and even though it was a difference experience, I didn't feel I was going to a downgraded cruise line. I was going on another cruise line that was different than what I was use to and I could go on more cruises, because they were considerably less expensive. I guess different people require or experience things differently. I really don't necessarily see Celebrity's changes as totally downgrading themselves, but that is just my opinion, I see it more as changing and evolving. Food on a cruise has never been a huge issue for me, I’m pretty easy to please, but I know that Celebrity’s food is not the same as it was in 2001, but I look at it as they can keep the food at those levels and raise the price of the cruises or keep the cruise at a reasonable cost and decrease the quality of the food somewhat. The food, in my opinion is better than most of the mass market cruise lines. Some might like the changes and some might not; sometimes change is not easy to swallow for some people, especially those that like to live in the past and expect things to remain the same. I know there are things in my life that if they changed, I would be angry about, thankfully cruising is not one of those things. I don't think Celebrity's marketing is done by a post count of an individual, just as their marketing is not based on the posts of individuals who are always complaining about the company or want it to stay the way it was. Their marketing team is looking to the future, while we as customers are looking maybe 2 years ahead, they are looking 5 and 10 years ahead, if not more, and how they are going to grow their customer base, cause they can't survive only having their current customer base when attrition sets in, even though I am sure we all think we will cruise and live forever. They need to attract new cruises who will be loyal customers and this is why I think they are making some of the changes they are making, because someone in their 30’s and 40’s is not necessarily going to like doing the same things as someone in their 70’s.

I see both sides. I see some of the old guard disappointed, but I see just as many newer customers (or those that shop around) very happy with the experiences they have had on their cruises. I don't know what old guard really is (I've been told that since I haven't cruised as many as some, my opinion doesn't count), I've been cruising on Celebrity since 2001, so I guess I’m a newbie.

It pretty much boils down to someone's expectations. You might have different expectations than me and visa versa, but both expectations are valid. I just know for a company to remain in a position to continue to make money and get new customers, they have to change. Celebrity, IMHO, has to not just do the things that us in the older age group might like, they have to get a more modern spin in order to attract those new cruisers, especially with all the new ships with their bells and whistles out there. With the prices of goods going up every year, they have to be able to supply a good product, but still live within their budget and make money and for anyone that has been in business that is a really hard thing to accomplish year after year after year.

As long as I come back from my Celebrity cruises (I have 3 booked) with a smile on my face and I remember more positives than negatives, then I will still continue to be a loyal customer. When the negatives outweigh the positives, then it will be time to move along.

You recently shared the "out of this world amazing rates" you get due to your cesear Palace connections. I am sure if i was scoring penthouses at less than 100. A day I would also be very satisfied.

I fully expect change, just like you do. No worries, I was paying attention in business and Economics classes. I also know sometimes you can find ways to keep standards up while raising rates.

You recently shared the "out of this world amazing rates" you get due to your cesear Palace connections. I am sure if i was scoring penthouses at less than 100. A day I would also be very satisfied.

I fully expect change, just like you do. No worries, I was paying attention in business and Economics classes. I also know sometimes you can find ways to keep standards up while raising rates.

Yes, I could not resist an 11 day cruise in a penthouse for less than $800....what can I say I love to cruise and I'm not a cruise snob otherwise I would have never tried Celebrity after experiencing Crystal. The experience is very different than that on Celebrity (I only eat in the specialty restaurants, etc.), but the Celebrity cruise experience is very different than Crystal. But that in no way means that I expect Celebrity to be on the same playing field as NCL, because it certainly isn't and I expect more from Celebrity than I do from NCL, just as I expect more from Crystal than I do from Celebrity, since Celebrity is premium line and Crystal is a luxury line. I have got 3 cruises booked on Celebrity, 2 on NCL and 1 on Crystal, so I get to experience the good, better and best. Yippy!

Yes, you can raise the rates, but you can't price yourself out. Some on here have already been complaining that Celebrity has reached their threshold, so we will have to see. Does Celebrity lose some of these loyal customers because their prices continue to raise....now that is the million dollar question.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I travel often with my extended family. Celebrity is nice. Lots of variety in activities and music. Enjoyed by all. Love the live music especially Fushion. They are not extremely loud. The music on the ship offers a good variety. If you think that the music js too loud, you can find places on the ship that are quiet. Library, hideaway, rear deck of the buffet, and your cabin are places to escape the music.

Older folks think music is too loud because they are suffering from hearing impairments. This may seem counter-intuitive, but as you go deaf you struggle to differentiate speaking voices from background music. When one can't understand the conversation mixed with the music, one assumes it's because the music is too loud and drowning out the conversation, rather than understanding that it's one's own inability to differentiate the sounds. Hearing aids would help as newer ones are really good at amplifying noises from right in front of you instead of from all directions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28423422/#.VCrkQ_ldUbg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3526983/Older-people-prefer-peace-and-quiet-because-they-cannot-filter-out-distractions.html

It can also be a problem for dyslexic people:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/6544673/Dyslexics-find-it-hard-to-filter-out-background-noises.html

While it is true that older people may have hearing impairments, it is at least equally important (or even more important) to be aware of all the hearing damage that is being done to young people by listening to loud music.

Loud Music Causing More Teens to Lose Hearing - ABC News

Is loud music ruining your hearing?

Noise-induced hearing loss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hearing loss and music: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Loud music causing hearing loss

Can Loud Music Hurt My Ears?

Protect your ears from loud music - NHS Choices

There's a time and a place for loud music and a time and a place for softer, low volume music. Personally, I think that at a get-together venue (like the Captain's Club Party) where people are trying to mingle and converse with others ... that's a time that low, background music is more appropriate.

As soon as you do that... You've selected a "target market" And WHO exactly will that be ? Same issue that Celebrity is faced with since they built, launched and began to market the S-Class Ships as "Modern Luxury" You have to fill the cabins to pay the bills... You cannot please everyone... Even those within your target group The wise know this... If they come upon a situation / venue they don't partcularly like (or it has changed) they look for another one to fit their needs at that moment in time (does not mean they can not come back later) Cheers!

Sloop-JohnB: I get WHY Celebrity is making changes... They have 15' date='000 beds to fill every week on the S-Class Ships alone[/b']... And the best way to do that is to go after the younger end of their target group. But in turn, something has to give. Let's face it... People do have their own tastes & preferences... But rarely is one going to find a large group of folks 30 to 80 wanting to do / enjoy the same stuff. I at 50-something would be a prime example... My kids are in their 30s, My Parents in their 80s. Love them to death, but don't necessarily want to spend oodles of time doing the things that interest them with their social groups

Lots of interesting posts, comments, questions and interests expressed. I pull out a couple of major items of interest to me from our friend from Canada. Good comments. YES, it is a business. Lots of ship rooms to fill every week.

I am in my mid 60's and have a marketing, research background. Understand many of these "trends"!! If you go back 20-30 years, there were only three major TV networks in America, a limited number of am radio stations, much of the shopping at department stores, etc. It WAS more of a "one size fits all" society. Much of the media was more "mass" in its common, broad approach.

BUT, more recently, cable TV, the Internet, music, shopping, marketing, etc., have allowed people to think, expect and get what fits their more narrow "personal/individual" tastes and interests. Expectations have changed. Cruising was more, a few decades back, just focused primarily in the Caribbean and "floating on a boat". Now, it is more world-wide, appealing to a wider range of audiences and interests.

Lots of reasons and factors!! Back to the original question of "Generation Gap on Celebrity?", it is just or mostly evolving and changing markets, customers needs/expectations.

And then there are websites like this. We can all express opinion, stir the pot, raise questions to feed our own personal interests, etc.

Fun!!??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 79,584 views for this fun posting.

Thank you...my pricing was based on prices for 12/14 I priced before final payment. It was half price for the same dates comparing AQ to mini suite.

Would be interested in your reviews as I have not been on Princess in ten years.

Great shopping! Are you booking early or late? Share your algorithm as I cannot seen to beat the one X has. Unfortunately, we are unable to book last minute.

We first sailed RCCL in 1990, and Princess in 1992, Celebrity in 1994.

We used to book 4-5 months out, 2011 6m, 2012 8m, 2013 9m, and this year we booked in Jan for a Nov sailing:eek: 11 days in a 1A deck 8 on the hump for about the same as our Reflection 7 day, deck 9 C2. IMHO we simply got lucky, as prices went up and up, and the 1A is now $800 pp higher. No rhyme nor reason, nor magic algorithm. Blind dumb luck:D

Princess, sigh, 2 couples, both sailed Princess before. Our friends, with 20+ cruises on diff lines, loved it, the Ultimate Balcony Dinning was the most wonderful dinner we have ever had, the Crown Grill was such a downer we almost did not get them to join us in Murano last year. I enjoyed the Ruby, but my wife felt it so poor she won't consider what had been our bench mark line again.:confused:

The Reflection last year reaffirmed, for us, that the over all product presented by Celebrity, for what we paid, is still the better value. Was it like the first season in 1996 when we sailed on the Century? No. We shall see in 40 days when we board the Equinox if an old re-retired simply got lucky last cruise.

But, each and every cruise, are in the end what we make them, not someone else.

EW

We first sailed RCCL in 1990, and Princess in 1992, Celebrity in 1994.

We used to book 4-5 months out, 2011 6m, 2012 8m, 2013 9m, and this year we booked in Jan for a Nov sailing:eek: 11 days in a 1A deck 8 on the hump for about the same as our Reflection 7 day, deck 9 C2. IMHO we simply got lucky, as prices went up and up, and the 1A is now $800 pp higher. No rhyme nor reason, nor magic algorithm. Blind dumb luck:D

Princess, sigh, 2 couples, both sailed Princess before. Our friends, with 20+ cruises on diff lines, loved it, the Ultimate Balcony Dinning was the most wonderful dinner we have ever had, the Crown Grill was such a downer we almost did not get them to join us in Murano last year. I enjoyed the Ruby, but my wife felt it so poor she won't consider what had been our bench mark line again.:confused:

The Reflection last year reaffirmed, for us, that the over all product presented by Celebrity, for what we paid, is still the better value. Was it like the first season in 1996 when we sailed on the Century? No. We shall see in 40 days when we board the Equinox if an old re-retired simply got lucky last cruise.

But, each and every cruise, are in the end what we make them, not someone else.

EW

This is the third attempt at response. My iPad does not like the eight upgrade and freezes, then loses everything I write.

We have been on Equinox 21 days from dec to april. It was good. My father had died the week before and the staff really stepped up to help me plan a birthday celebration for my husband. I was touched. Most of my concerns were the uneven December cruise and cuts that have happened since.

We try M class for the first time in Dec.

I have quizzed Princess cruisers a bit. Many report as you have, some think they are equal and most say the entertainment is better.

Enjoy your cruise, I look forward to your review.

It is obvious that all cruise lines will have to move with the times or go under.

My personal problem is knowing what Celebrity I am going to find when I board the ship.

Will it be like my first and third cruises where the noise levels were fine for conversation all around the ship (apart from when live music was playing in the atrium) or like my second cruise where the noise levels in the molecular and martini bars were such that conversation was absolutely impossible without putting your mouth directly up to somebody's ear?

If prices are rising and I understand from the comments on this forum that they are, it is even more necessary to know what experience you are going to find onboard.

It is obvious that all cruise lines will have to move with the times or go under.

My personal problem is knowing what Celebrity I am going to find when I board the ship.

Will it be like my first and third cruises where the noise levels were fine for conversation all around the ship (apart from when live music was playing in the atrium) or like my second cruise where the noise levels in the molecular and martini bars were such that conversation was absolutely impossible without putting your mouth directly up to somebody's ear?

If prices are rising and I understand from the comments on this forum that they are, it is even more necessary to know what experience you are going to find onboard.

I follow your concern exactly. We find ourselves back with Celebrity after leaving due to dissatisfactions. I love the ships, they feel really good to me, and I am optimistic that what ever went wrong for a period of time was just a bad period and we will be glad we came back.

Celebrity announced it was hiring a production manager B to oversee the music. A recent thread reported what we had also seen about fifteen percent of the time the music was extraordinarily loud. Many were skeptical, many took offense, many wanted it louder and softer. But I take them at their word, because we do know the normal baseline for those bars and once in a full moon it is so loud you cannot hear competing musical venues.

I think there will be a return to consistency.

I would go on your cruise with all the good will you usually do. One persons cut is anothers reason to rejoice or just a big yawn. Find out if any make any difference to you.

I don't think the issue is generational per se. I have a friend my age ( 50's ) that gets irritated with what he considers loud music in restaurants.

There will always be this clash of styles. The Atrium and martini bar in the evenings is a good example. 50% love it, 50% don't.

Fortunately there are many other venues for those that don't like the music to sit in...the entire ship doesn't have to be homogenized to suit the most sensitive of passengers,...otherwise Celebrity will become like HAL.

A floating retirement home.....

I don't think celebrity will do that Kevin. They seem to like experimenting and have a little edge to it every few years anyway. I think they seek profitable ways to please as many tastes as possible.

Strictly from a professional standpoint each venue needs it's own ambiance, the ship is big enough to do that, as many passengers are asleep by ten anyway. Lol

Edited by hulamoon

We are all fortunate that we have choices.

If Celebrity raises it's prices while cutting back on the quality of the product, nothing stops us from moving to a different cruise line.

If we opt to stay on Celebrity and don't like the music at one bar, there are six others to choose from.

There isn't a social class issue on Celebrity. Some people unfortunately confuse the difference in cabin class with social class. Perhaps Celebrity uses cabin class status as a way to promote and influence the choices we make.

That's really what's going on.. Celebrity never used a class status system to differentiate service and food. Now it does, and that fuels the kind of debates regarding class that we've seen recently.

Bravo, Kevin, I agree! And BTW, say Hi to Jenn and The Cups for me! ;)