Generation Gap on Celebrity?

parallax

Hence my question in addition to the original one. If this Company's product is so inferior, why waste a moment of life coming to an area of an internet chat board, dedicated to such a poor product? Would not the precious time be better spent at something that brings happiness and smiles to the day?

Misery does seem to want company.

All I said was that there product was no better then all the other mass market cruiselines. Never said they have an inferior product. Its my opinion and why dont you respond as to why you think they do. That would be your opinion and I would respect that and there are a lot of cruisers who would agree with both of our opinions. Chill out its only a cruise line.

"Chill out its only a cruise line"

Every cruise line is a little different ... as is every ship ... every crew ... every cook ... every CD ... etc. Each tries to find their own niche and appeal to a certain segment of cruisers. Lots of variety to 'shop' ... so if one doesn't suit you ... or changes in a way you don't like ... then find one that you do like. Like a nice wine ... they are all different and won't find approval from all wine drinkers ... just try different ones until you find the right fit.

Hence my question in addition to the original one. If this Company's product is so inferior, why waste a moment of life coming to an area of an internet chat board, dedicated to such a poor product? Would not the precious time be better spent at something that brings happiness and smiles to the day?

Misery does seem to want company.

Wow....this is supposed to be a place where folks can get information and opinions...both positive and negative.

I welcome anyone's opinions...and I welcome Monkeybench and CPJ'ss comments...I'm glad they spent the time to post here. I'm not interested in only reading only good reviews...that's not helpful to anyone.

Edited by ghstudio

Wow....this is supposed to be a place where folks can get information and opinions...both positive and negative.

I welcome anyone's opinions...and I welcome Monkeybench and CPJ'ss comments...I'm glad they spent the time to post here. I'm not interested in only reading only good reviews...that's not helpful to anyone.

I understand what the purpose of Cruise Critic and these boards are all about. But this is a thread about a Generation Gap, not about how sorry my cruise was cause a maitre d' did this or that.

OK, start a thread " where folks can get information and opinions...both positive and negative" and fill in the details, but to just plunk it down in the middle of another topic because an employee might read it.:confused:

I dont see any of their advertising that would leed me to think they were 'targeting' any one certain age or group at all. At least not in the Ad's running in the Dallas market.

They can crank it up all they want, casual it down, ect, but if there are none of the so called 'targeted' group on the ship to begin with, who is going to tell whom?

I just hit 60 and felt right in the age mix last Nov on the Reflection, sitting round the Martini bar and grabbing a glass of red wine in Cellar Masters for the wife. We were the youngesters!:D

So I think most of the hoop la la here on CC is just posters who simply try to raise a caustic debate, for lack of anything better to do with their time.

I agree with wallie5546, I have been on two Celebrity cruises since May and I didn't have any of those problems. I am 62 and DH 65. I agree that people sometimes just want to raise a debate, the caustic debates get the most posts and views..

Monkeybench's post discussed joining her family and how she fit into the target market discussed. That was how the discussion evolved.

Sometimes people have mixed, unsure, uncertain, perceived negative or just bad experiences. It happens.

CPj has a valid point. I also used to think X was a cut above other mainstream cruises. The market is changing and so is X.

None of us resonants with every post. Sometimes what seems like a mild criticism to the poster is perceived harshly by the reader. Not that different than the infamous volume thread.

The basis for the question is try to understand why certain topics keep percolating on this board. To say it is strictly related to a generation divide would be would be wrong. However, I think it is a contributing factor for some people.

On the other hand, maybe I am over thinking and should apply the Miller Lite Theory. The "Taste Great" group vs. the "Less Filling" group.

Older folks think music is too loud because they are suffering from hearing impairments. This may seem counter-intuitive, but as you go deaf you struggle to differentiate speaking voices from background music. When one can't understand the conversation mixed with the music, one assumes it's because the music is too loud and drowning out the conversation, rather than understanding that it's one's own inability to differentiate the sounds. Hearing aids would help as newer ones are really good at amplifying noises from right in front of you instead of from all directions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28423422/#.VCrkQ_ldUbg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3526983/Older-people-prefer-peace-and-quiet-because-they-cannot-filter-out-distractions.html

It can also be a problem for dyslexic people:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/6544673/Dyslexics-find-it-hard-to-filter-out-background-noises.html

Edited by tonyrocks922

I really don't think it is age related at all in most cases. I started cruising Celebrity when I was in my early 40's, over 20 years ago. What I liked in a cruise then is very much the same as what I like in a cruise now. I realize change happens, and I also realize the world is not all about me and what I want. That said, many changes on Celebrity, particularly in the last few years, are not changes for the better in my opinion. I used to view Celebrity as almost a high end cruise experience for a moderate level cruise price. That is no longer the case. There are a number of areas where there has been a downgrade in service, or services, unfortunately accompanied by quite an upswing in pricing. So why do I still cruise Celebrity? It is still a very nice cruise line that delivers a product that is usually somewhat better than it's peers. As Elite+ I enjoy some very nice perks as well. But honestly if the prices continue to soar as they have lately (or service decline any further) I will consider looking elsewhere. I hope that is not the case as I really, really have loved almost all my cruises on Celebrity.

I find it interesting to be criticized for making remarks like the above (speaking in general about what happens when something like this is written), when in fact for years and years I could have very rightly have been considered a Celebrity 'cheerleader'. I raved about the line on these boards and suggested it to any friend or acquaintance I spoke with about cruising. I will continue to speak the truth, whether it is to compliment that which I like about the line, or to state my feelings about changes I am not so fond of. I respect others' right to disagree with me, and ask only that my opinions are respected as well without being categorized via unflattering words or descriptions. Happy sailing:)

I really don't think it is age related at all in most cases. I started cruising Celebrity when I was in my early 40's, over 20 years ago. What I liked in a cruise then is very much the same as what I like in a cruise now. I realize change happens, and I also realize the world is not all about me and what I want. That said, many changes on Celebrity, particularly in the last few years, are not changes for the better in my opinion. I used to view Celebrity as almost a high end cruise experience for a moderate level cruise price. That is no longer the case. There are a number of areas where there has been a downgrade in service, or services, unfortunately accompanied by quite an upswing in pricing. So why do I still cruise Celebrity? It is still a very nice cruise line that delivers a product that is usually somewhat better than it's peers. As Elite+ I enjoy some very nice perks as well. But honestly if the prices continue to soar as they have lately (or service decline any further) I will consider looking elsewhere. I hope that is not the case as I really, really have loved almost all my cruises on Celebrity.

I find it interesting to be criticized for making remarks like the above (speaking in general about what happens when something like this is written), when in fact for years and years I could have very rightly have been considered a Celebrity 'cheerleader'. I raved about the line on these boards and suggested it to any friend or acquaintance I spoke with about cruising. I will continue to speak the truth, whether it is to compliment that which I like about the line, or to state my feelings about changes I am not so fond of. I respect others' right to disagree with me, and ask only that my opinions are respected as well without being categorized via unflattering words or descriptions. Happy sailing:)

I agree with you. Our first cruise with Celebrity was in 1999. At that time, we knew what we wanted in a cruising experience, and found it with Celebrity.

The Celebrity product has "evolved" in subsequent years...some to our liking...some we just ignore, and realize that corporate policies change, according to trending tastes in the industry.

Older folks think music is too loud because they are suffering from hearing impairments. This may seem counter-intuitive, but as you go deaf you struggle to differentiate speaking voices from background music. When one can't understand the conversation mixed with the music, one assumes it's because the music is too loud and drowning out the conversation, rather than understanding that it's one's own inability to differentiate the sounds. Hearing aids would help as newer ones are really good at amplifying noises from right in front of you instead of from all directions.

Older folks, even those who are wearing hearing aids are not, as you suggest, going deaf....that's like suggesting that "older people are going blind because they lose the ability to focus on things that are close to them...thus needing reading glasses."

My hearing is great (measured by an audioligist)..and I run live sound locally for some music groups. Sometimes loud is just plain loud...hearing aids would not help because to hear voices, they have to be above the level of the background noise....and if that background noise is 90+db, it's going to be impossible to hear the voices, hearing aids or not.

I am sure some of your posts helped me decide to switch to Celebrity.

My first Celebrity cruise I was 21. There were a LOT of 20 and 30 somethings on that cruise. Now going my my second X cruise and now 34. Back then I thought it was classier than the other line I had been on at that point, Carnival. I doubt anyone will disagree with me on that. I still feel it is classier than Royal, and Princess too! Looking forward to it in 40 days!

And the thing about the loud music. If you think it's too loud, why not walk away and go to another venue? I too dislike too loud music, but I also dislike music that isn't my personal preference. What do I do? I go somewhere it isn't playing. Easy peasy.

Edited by whataboutport

Going out on a ledge here...

Yes, I do think to some extent there is a so called Generation Gap.

We started looking at cruises 5 years ago, when Mr Sloop & I were both in our 50s.

We chose Celebrity cause they had some nice new ships S-Class they were busily promoting to those that seemed to span the 50 to 70 year old market... Mostly couples who appreciated the finer things in life at an affordable cost (Modern Ships, Great Itineraries, Comfy Cabins, Good Food & Wine, Interesting Venues, Exciting Shore Excursions and Fascinating Onboard Experiences)

We sailed on The Solsice just as the 3rd S-Class Ship launched

As more ships launched, one a year for 5 years, we have noticed that Celebrity has made an effort to market their product to a slightly younger audience

This can clearly be seen in their marketing materials since the "Modern Luxury" campaign began (now going after the late 30s / early 40s to 70+ market)

So as much as I would like to say the most contenscious issues that divide most on the CC Boards are only personal taste... I truly believe they often are rooted in how different groups perceive things based on age (Loyalty Status - Dress Codes - Alcohol - Venues - Atmosphere - Kids)

Like it or not 30+ to 70+ is a big expanse of time... Mr Sloop & I still fit right in the middle range. And we are young at heart, so perhaps we see some of these issues for what they truly are. Changing times.

I get WHY Celebrity is making changes... They have 15,000 beds to fill every week on the S-Class Ships alone... And the best way to do that is to go after the younger end of their target group.

But in turn, something has to give.

Let's face it... People do have their own tastes & preferences... But rarely is one going to find a large group of folks 30 to 80 wanting to do / enjoy the same stuff.

I at 50-something would be a prime example... My kids are in their 30s, My Parents in their 80s. Love them to death, but don't necessarily want to spend oodles of time doing the things that interest them with their social groups

And therein lies Celebrity's problem. They are trying now to be too many things to too many people to keep 5 Big New Glitzy Ships in the black week after week.

5 Builds in 5 Years cost Megabucks. Money that has to come from somewhere. In Celebrity's case it is fueled by a younger market... And ya eventually that is going to be in sharp contrast to the somewhat older market they catered to for a very long time.

Cheers!

Ps... And as I said on the Martini Bar post... Ya, sometimes a venue is going to take on a different vibe. Be it permanently, one cruise, or a specific time of day (Martini Bar might be a Conversation Spot 5 to 6 PM... And later be a Crazy Loud Music Spot 10 o'clock onwards). It is Celebrity who gets to decide... Us as Pax if it is not for us then there are plenty of other venues to choose from / move to

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thank-you for your perspective on this. You and I are somewhere in the same age range, so no generation gap here.

My wife and I took our first cruise last year and became instantly addicted. We picked Celebrity. I don't remember why but if I had read some of the negative comments here on Cruise Critic I may have gone with another line.

We didn't know what to expect on the cruise so we had no idea the service had declined in some people's opinion. I would classify Equinox as a floating version of my favorite hotel chain, Hyatt Regency.

Again, my questions/comments are being respectful, I don't have anything to compare Celebrity to at this time. Maybe our cruise aboard Princess next year will change our minds.

So-o-o, this is a respectful question and in no way a sarcastic attack. Let's say Celebrity continues to decline from your perspective. What line would you then consider? Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, Oceania? Seems to me as if that would be like jumping from Hyatt to Four Seasons along with the huge increase in price.

:)

Very well said!

Sloop...

Let the ledge be your stage.

They have had all time high stock returns, so the cuts are working.

We do not, nor do we expect most passengers expect every inch of the ship to conform to fit our taste. Many brands do span a range of ages and I have been on cruises with loads of children and also a ships staff to entertain them and we barely noticed kids were on board. I only knew it as I met a woman in the elevator in charge of kids programs. I think it was like seven hundred kids, but don't quote me. We stayed in AQ and were clueless.

Just the fact, in those days celebrity had a system for this sold me.

The drink packages did seem to bring new cruisers over to celebrity. I only think that as I read their reviews. The new folks have less skin in the game as far as loyalty and even some that have sailed celebrity for years are not exclusive to the brand. We seem to change cruise brands as frequently as we buy a new car. So I think it is uncomfortable for some to think they may need to shop around, we will but only if necessary.

I have done some thinking about it and will deal with the cuts if blu gets back it's halo. I hope it does. I root for Celebrity!

I look forward to your upcoming review and I hope you have an excellent vacation with Mr. Sloop.

The drink packages did seem to bring new cruisers over to celebrity. I only think that as I read their reviews. The new folks have less skin in the game as far as loyalty and even some that have sailed celebrity for years are not exclusive to the brand. We seem to change cruise brands as frequently as we buy a new car. So I think it is uncomfortable for some to think they may need to shop around, we will but only if necessary.

Even though, as you say, those new cruisers or some that skip around, don't have as much skin in the game. Isn't it the new cruisers who will possibly become the loyal cruisers in the future and they are putting a new perspective in their reviews. They are looking at cruising as a new experience and letting their voice be heard on what would get them coming back and if Celebrity doesn't lure these customers in, they can't live forever on the old guard, because as much as we all would like to think, we will not be able to cruise or live forever. I never understand why on here people try to discount someone's opinion, suggestions or comments, because they haven't sailed on 50 Celebrity cruises. In order for a cruise line to evolve, they have to listen to all their customers, not just those that want a company to stay the way it is or was. Some will like the changes and some won't and when the changes get to a point where there are more negatives than positives, I would say that is when someone might want to shop around for another cruise line. So far, Celebrity has way more positives for me than negatives and I have more cruises booked on them, then the other two lines that I also cruise on.

Edited by NLH Arizona

One size never fits all.

My DD just started college a few weeks back. She is a math major and lives in a house of all science and engineering women. I was passing through town Sunday morning and offered to take her and her cousin (also a freshman at a different college in the same town) out to brunch. DD and her friends (male and female) had a great Saturday night watching a marathon of some TV show and trying to come up with who could make the most outrageous popcorn flavors -- they are geeks (nerds?). I can only imagine what my niece had done Saturday night. Sunday at 10:30 I meet DD, bright eyed and bushy tailed, and DN, bleary-eyed and dragging. Not saying either's life style is "right" or "wrong" but obviously each is very different.

A somewhat nebbish 20 or 30-something might enjoy the ambiance of a Celebrity cruise. While my 70+ YO uncle (who claims to be a 30YO in a 60YO's body - and yes he lives in a dream world, it is a 70YO's body :D) would be bored to tears.

Age is simply one factor that makes up a "demographic".

I agree that some of Celebrity's marketing does appear to be working to broaden their demographic, but it is not simply about attracting younger cruisers -- it is about attracting younger cruisers whose vacation "goals" mesh with the Celebrity ships.

Even though, as you say, those new cruisers or some that skip around, don't have as much skin in the game. Isn't it the new cruisers who will possibly become the loyal cruisers in the future and they are putting a new perspective in their reviews. They are looking at cruising as a new experience and letting their voice be heard on what would get them coming back and if Celebrity doesn't lure these customers in, they can't live forever on the old guard, because as much as we all would like to think, we will not be able to cruise or live forever. I never understand why on here people try to discount someone's opinion, suggestions or comments, because they haven't sailed on 50 Celebrity cruises. In order for a cruise line to evolve, they have to listen to all their customers, not just those that want a company to stay the way it is or was. Some will like the changes and some won't and when the changes get to a point where there are more negatives than positives, I would say that is when someone might want to shop around for another cruise line. So far, Celebrity has way more positives for me than negatives and I have more cruises booked on them, then the other two lines that I also cruise on.

I guarantee you Celebrity does listen to everyone who fills out a survey at the end of the cruise. They do market research and have someone who is monitoring these boards. While they may take into account everyone, I guarantee they weigh to a target market. That would be who they perceive to be spenders. The changes in suite benefits are a testament to that. While categories are much higher in price than before, benefits are lower for AQ and below. I don't think the marketing is conducted by post count of an individual. If it is, that is sad.

By skin in the game..I am referring to those who predominately book Celebrity. Some of us, did think Celebrity was a cut above other lines in the category. However, it seems to be deliberately downgrading itself. That is what concerned me. How far will it go? is it temporary? Will there be off setting benefits? Otherwise we will be joining the lets shop around group. Celebrity already did not have the best itineraries. We purposefully booked on it anyway, when prices were higher and itineraries were less thrilling because we perceived the value to be higher and worth it. Now marketing perception is shifting, the benefits are less. Other brands are also less generous with smoking. Look at how many people no longer expect better service or food or entertainment.

Now..my last cruise was great. Celebrity met many of my expectations, exceeded some and the low point was Blu food and it had worse service because there were less servers. Bar service was great and mediocre. Our December cruise was alright. On par with other mainstream brands.

Each figures out their own value system. But for us, we are not going to pay twice as much for less when we can pay half as much for the same. If Celebrity wants to be like other lines than I must also make adjustments.

If you have noticed, I am not the only customer saying this. Others are also watching closely. I have been a customer since spring of 2011, if that makes me old guard than so be it.

Now, I have read the posts where many people have not perceived any change or cuts whatsoever. Just because I have doesn't make me honor their opinion less.

Well we chose Celebrity this time for the interesting itinerary AND the added plus of the Pick your Perk. So in my case, the drinks pkg did lure me back. As far as being double the price? I don't agree. We are paying about $100pp more for an 11 nt cruise than what we paid for a 7nt on the Allure. Plus we got the drink pkg! To me that's a deal.

Now I will report back in a few weeks about the perceived decline in service, etc. The last (and first) time I sailed on X was in 2001. I never looked at X bc I always thought it was out of my price range (Dad paid last time!) but now I know it's not. I'm not loyal to one brand. I jump around depending on ports and price. However I can say I will never go on NCL or back to Carnival. It's more their hideous ships and decor that does it for me.