How come rooms not ready?

Quite a few have explained to you that the rooms on Princess are often NOT ready when you're given access, but you continue to just ignore that? Given those posters' experiences, I'm not sure that RCI's service isn't every bit as good as Princess, just different.

Please see this post I started on the Princess forum so we could get more input from frequent Princess cruisers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2109524

You have choices. Board early and deal with dragging your carryon around or wait and board after 1:PM.

Yes, there are choices and that's what is required at this time.

However when I'm kicked out of my hotel at 10am or 11am I don't have any option except to go to the cruise port. Since rooms are not ready, I can and do carry my things around once onboard.

The OP's idea that RCCL could change this and not make it's customers make this "choice" is a good one. RCCL doesn't have to listen. But why is it such a big deal that the OP thinks this is something within RCCL's ability to change? Why is it a big deal that OP may even write RCCL a letter about it? It's NOT a big deal. We will all keep dragging our stuff around with us until 1pm if that's what's required but I bet no one would do that if RCCL listened to the OP's suggestion and suddenly allowed room access immediately upon boarding. Suddenly dropping bags off before the trip through the Windjammer would be much preferred, I'm sure.

I find this thread very interesting.

My family heads to the pool, grabs lounges, we introduce ourselves to the first pool cocktail server who happens by, order a rounds of drinks, grab some lunch/snacks from the buffet, take a dip in the pool, catch some rays, order more drinks, perhaps a little chair dancing, watch the new guests parade pass by, toast and celebrate another cruise.

In 15+ cruises, I don't think we've been to our cabin before 5 PM. Sometimes after the muster drill. Why would anyone want to spend time to go to their cabin on the first day? Enjoy!!

Some people flew in late the night before and need a nap! On our last cruise our late arriving flight was delayed and we got to our hotel around 3am. We had to get up by 8am to get ready for the day, grab breakfast and get out of the room by checkout time.

That being said, people are different. We are always in our room after grabbing lunch and doing some exploring. To each his/her own!

We will all keep dragging our stuff around with us until 1pm if that's what's required but I bet no one would do that if RCCL listened to the OP's suggestion and suddenly allowed room access immediately upon boarding. Suddenly dropping bags off before the trip through the Windjammer would be much preferred, I'm sure.

Exactly! Not only that, but by people going to their room to drop luggage it staggers the crowd in Windjammer AND less luggage in Windjammer = less hectic lunch experience at boarding day. Everything impacts something else. I honestly can not imagine a downside.

Wow! I guess I never saw this as a big deal? I usually check out of my hotel around 10:00, and have been on the ship by 11:00. If I don't want to carry something around with me-I check it through. They don't require us to carry anything we don't choose to. And that is the key isn't it? We choose when to board, what to carry, and how we handle it. I don't get upset with hotels for not letting me check in until 3:00- and they make me keep all my bags! I guess I like knowing they don't turn around quickly- it means repairs are being made and everything is being thoroughly cleaned and prepped for my fantastic upcoming week. I am happy to wait for a nice clean room! Considering the work that has to be done-completely turning over each room including cleaning carpets, cleaning balconies and hallways, all repairs, I would say they do well! And with a shore side cleaning crew- several problems- they would have to pay them US wages, which are far higher, they wouldn't be as familiar with each ship and may slow things down, and where do you find people who only need work two days a week? Throwing people at a problem doesn't usually help- it just means more bodies in the way. Perhaps what they could do would be to also open the main dining rooms for a first nicer lunch- so people have a place to sit and relax and eat a nice meal. Meet your dining partners, and since nicer meals take a little longer perhaps rooms would be ready when we were done?

But if you want to try to change it, go for it.

I have no intent to try to change it because it's not a huge deal. As everyone else has pointed out we all have our method of working with our baggage as we get around the ship. It is what it is.

But I have a problem with everyone acting as if the original poster's idea is the worst idea ever, as if they wouldn't prefer to put their luggage in their cabin before wandering around. If the OP wants to start a letter writing, signature gathering campaign s/he may do so. I would be happy to partake in the outcome should it work out positively in his/her favor.

You do make a decent point about requesting a late checkout if one needs to carry on a lot of baggage and thus arrive at the port later. This is not an issue for me but may be useful for others.

Edited by magicolor_girl

When the Quantum starts sailing, the rooms are supposed to be ready when we board. All passengers will go to their room on boarding as this is where our Sea pass cards will be located. For our sailing coming up, the boarding starts at 10:30am.

Perhaps whatever method they will be using for the Quantum will be rolled out to all ships in the fleet and then you will be able to drop your things in the room before heading to the pool or the windjammer.

:)

Mary

Wow! I guess I never saw this as a big deal? I don't get upset with hotels for not letting me check in until 3:00- and they make me keep all my bags!

I think the thing here is it doesn't make the OP upset either. I don't think s/he runs through the ship being mad at everyone because the doors are closed. The point is that it's something within RCCL's ability to change IF they wanted. And I'm with the OP only because I acknowledge I would like to be able to put my stuff in my cabin and proceed with my embarkation day activities unencumbered. I'm not upset that I can't put my bags in my room and really hadn't given it that much thought because the situation is what it is. I take them with me because I have to. But the fact that so many people act as if the OP's idea is beyond outrageous/bordering on ridiculous does get my keyboard fingers twitching! :eek: It's a decent idea that most people would be happy with if implemented thus the reactions here are a bit much to a simple post discussing the idea.

When the Quantum starts sailing, the rooms are supposed to be ready when we board. All passengers will go to their room on boarding as this is where our Sea pass cards will be located. For our sailing coming up, the boarding starts at 10:30am.

That's very interesting! I had not heard that Seapass cards would be in the rooms.

Perhaps what they could do would be to also open the main dining rooms for a first nicer lunch- so people have a place to sit and relax and eat a nice meal. Meet your dining partners, and since nicer meals take a little longer perhaps rooms would be ready when we were done?

I have said I'd like MDR to be open boarding day and the response was for me to sail another line but I agree with you; it would be an improvement in overall flow of people and a nicer experience. You make a great point; if we did not have such a hectic lunch and it was drawn out a bit, then maybe not having room ready first wouldn't seem as much a nuisance.

Princess in fact does open one of the three dining rooms for boarding day lunch. Between rooms being ready, a dining room open, etc. it makes for a much more relaxed way to start a vacation. As it is now RCI funnels people towards Windjammer, most who have at least a bulky backpack with them.

I've seen what happens on RCI on turnaround day from my B2B's (I had full access to my cabin). If Princess (or some other line) is done earlier than RCI, they are either starting the cleaning effort earlier (very possible) or cutting corners. Proper cleaning takes time and I'm not sure I'd want a cabin that is ready so soon after the last passenger was doing who knows what in there (ewww) :eek:.

Regarding the Quantum boarding process, I'm curious how they will maintain the current level of accountability and security?

f Princess (or some other line) is done earlier than RCI, they are either starting the cleaning effort earlier (very possible) or cutting corners. Proper cleaning takes time and I'm not sure I'd want a cabin that is ready so soon after the last passenger was doing who knows what in there (ewww) :eek:.

I don't think it is fair to claim that Princess, or any other line, cuts corners on room turnover without any proof.

That said, I think most people from any cruise line can point out isolated incidents where things in a room were not cleaned or prepared up to standard regardless of the time the room was available for use.

Regarding the Quantum boarding process, I'm curious how they will maintain the current level of accountability and security?

I am as well! RCI is rolling out a lot of new technology, new ways to interact with it, and a whole new class of ship at once. I hope it goes smoothly for them, and I hope they see gains in efficiency and in customer experience. It will be interesting to see how it all works, or if it all works.

I think the thing here is it doesn't make the OP upset either. I don't think s/he runs through the ship being mad at everyone because the doors are closed. The point is that it's something within RCCL's ability to change IF they wanted. And I'm with the OP only because I acknowledge I would like to be able to put my stuff in my cabin and proceed with my embarkation day activities unencumbered. I'm not upset that I can't put my bags in my room and really hadn't given it that much thought because the situation is what it is. I take them with me because I have to. But the fact that so many people act as if the OP's idea is beyond outrageous/bordering on ridiculous does get my keyboard fingers twitching! :eek: It's a decent idea that most people would be happy with if implemented thus the reactions here are a bit much to a simple post discussing the idea.

well said.

Yes, there are choices and that's what is required at this time.

However when I'm kicked out of my hotel at 10am or 11am I don't have any option except to go to the cruise port. Since rooms are not ready, I can and do carry my things around once onboard.

To quote Colonel Potter... Bull Puckey! It's your CHOICE to go straight to the port from the hotel. You can go eat, shop, or lounge wherever. Yes, you have to do something with your bags, but it's still your choice.

As far as the OP's "complaint"? Would I prefer to go straight to my room at 11:00 and drop off my bag? Yes. BUT, the room would have to be cleaned and secured.

Assuming Princess *IS* accomplishing the same, how are they doing so? Are they charging more to bring on more employees to help with turnaround? Are they cutting corners, whether on turnaround or elsewhere to make up for the quick turnaround, in order to accomplish it?

There's got to be a trade off SOMEWHERE. Find out what that trade off is.

To drop off big/bulky/heavy carry-ons. Also to make any special requests of the steward, like opening connecting doors/balcony dividers, getting ice buckets filled, etc.

Big /bulky/heavy carry-ons are NOT carryons......those things should have been given to the porters before coming onto the ship. What I have seen people schlepp around on embarkation day, I could pack for a week in and it doesn't fit the description of carry-on, in any way.

I don't think it is fair to claim that Princess, or any other line, cuts corners on room turnover without any proof.

I didn't, necessarily. As I said, they probably start earlier. From what I've seen, RCI doesn't start really kicking people out until all departure numbers have been called (9:30 am or so).

I find this thread very interesting.

My family heads to the pool, grabs lounges, we introduce ourselves to the first pool cocktail server who happens by, order a rounds of drinks, grab some lunch/snacks from the buffet, take a dip in the pool, catch some rays, order more drinks, perhaps a little chair dancing, watch the new guests parade pass by, toast and celebrate another cruise.

In 15+ cruises, I don't think we've been to our cabin before 5 PM. Sometimes after the muster drill. Why would anyone want to spend time to go to their cabin on the first day? Enjoy!!

I have to agree with you.....on your approach, which is very similar to ours. We get to ship usually by 11am; on board usually by 11:30am. With us are two small carry-ons (one is mine and one is hubby's), enough to have bathing suit and other small afternoon needs (music player, book, pool needs, camera, meds). We have lunch in WJ, and then head to pool deck. Swim and enjoy the sun (we are not drinkers).....I love watching the later cruisers arriving and their expressions -- It is almost like we have been on vacation for days, and they are just joining us. We head to cabin a little before Muster Drill, then after Muster we are fully ready for SAIL AWAY.

No headaches in the WJ lugging around oversized carry ons, like most people do.

From what I've seen, RCI doesn't start really kicking people out until all departure numbers have been called (9:30 am or so).

That right there could explain the difference from Princess with their vacate by 8 policy.

As I said, I've found this thread interesting in a good way. I must be oblivious to what everyone is doing the first day.

In all my cruises, I think the only special request I've had for my steward is a bucket of ice. I've never been to the dining room to look at my table before dinner. I've never sat at a table in the Windjammer.

My lovely wife thinks me controlling. However, based on comments about people scurrying around stewards and finding table, it sounds quite the opposite.

First day: Relax, nap in the sun, lounge, swim, have some cocktails, celebrate. Don't worry about the small stuff. Enjoy!

I'm absolutely with you! Very well said.

I just checked and it IS Princess standard policy to have rooms 100% ready for use at boarding time.

Therefore the earlier poster that claims their room was not 100% ready (which I believe their claim) did not experience the Princess standard, but rather received less than their standard and now believes that is "the way" when it is not. That's a lost opportunity for Princess, IMO and an amenity the guest did not get to take advantage of.

Who did you check with for that answer that you've decided is 100% authoritative (because you heard what you wanted to hear)?

It was not "a poster" that stated their Princess room was not 100% completed, it was MULTIPLE posters with the same experience.

Who did you check with for that answer that you've decided is 100% authoritative (because you heard what you wanted to hear)?

It was not "a poster" that stated their Princess room was not 100% completed, it was MULTIPLE posters with the same experience.

I Googled it and found that is their policy. I then posted a question on the Princess forum to get input from more experienced Princess cruisers and posted a link for all to see. Also my personal experience has shown the rooms are indeed ready at boarding.

Here is a link to that Princess thread in case you missed it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2109524

My question is why CAN'T the rooms be ready. An acceptable answer to that is not "This is the way it currently is, so deal with it, go sit by the pool. We enjoy that plenty fine and so should you." I know the way it currently is. Been dealing with it since 1990 or thereabouts. I think there is a better way and I hope RCI adopts it.

I do not think you will believe anything I post so if you want an answer that doesn't come through me call up Princess and verify that their rooms are indeed ready for use at boarding time, not partially ready, not half made-up, not door open to thieving hands.

It was TWO posters in this thread (legally a multiple), one who said the room was ready but no ice or robes. I've never entered any ships room on any cruise line that had ice in it already. So that's really only one person who claimed the doors were open and the rooms unstocked. And as I stated, and maybe you missed, I believe them! I accept their accounts. But I also believe that is not the norm and they were shorted on what Princess promises to provide.

Bottomline, I'd like to get on the ship as early as possible, and in doing so drop off my bag in the room and get refreshed and that doesn't make me a bad person or that I am lying or ignoring people or misreading things or any other such nonsense. I just see something RCI can do better. You clearly have a different philosophy and for that, bless your heart while you sit at the pool with your carry on.