QM2 Lobby

Lady Hudson

Katherine, it was finished ages ago It was only a spot of repair work to the ceiling (from a water leak several months ago.)

It's taken all this time to have it repaired as they have been waiting for a suitable voyage to put the scaffolding up.

I do have to smile when reading some of the posts on here re QM2....about the poor state it's in, I've just spent almost a month onboard and can confirm the ship is in pretty good shape ..ok an odd sink hole here and there on deck 2 and the gents toilet under maintenance on deck 9 (Near the commodore bar which was a nuisance ;) but thats about all.

Anyone would think the poor ship is ready for the hackers yard :)

Katherine, it was finished ages ago It was only a spot of repair work to the ceiling (from a water leak several months ago.)

It's taken all this time to have it repaired as they have been waiting for a suitable voyage to put the scaffolding up.

I do have to smile when reading some of the posts on here re QM2....about the poor state it's in, I've just spent almost a month onboard and can confirm the ship is in pretty good shape ..ok an odd sink hole here and there on deck 2 and the gents toilet under maintenance on deck 9 (Near the commodore bar which was a nuisance ;) but thats about all.

Anyone would think the poor ship is ready for the hackers yard :)

I agree.

Yes, the QM2 is beautiful and the Grand Lobby scaffolding was a minor issue. But, I spent 19 days on the ship in late August through mid September. Deck 5 on the odd numbered side had numerous water leaks up and down the corridor. Outside my entry door water leaked on me as I passed in and out of my cabin. It was repaired but then leaked again over the course of the cruise. Noisy fans were placed everywhere to dry out the carpet. One was place near my cabin and I could hear it throughout the night.There were also bad odors as we walked along the corridor. Water had to be turned off for several staterooms when we were in a port. Not mine. As long as it was not inside my cabin I was not terribly concerned. Sink holes don't bother me. But what is the reason for the leaks? The carpet is stained up and down the hallway. It would not stop me from sailing again on the ship but I think there are problems we don't see or know of.

Yes, the QM2 is beautiful and the Grand Lobby scaffolding was a minor issue. But, I spent 19 days on the ship in late August through mid September. Deck 5 on the odd numbered side had numerous water leaks up and down the corridor. Outside my entry door water leaked on me as I passed in and out of my cabin. It was repaired but then leaked again over the course of the cruise. Noisy fans were placed everywhere to dry out the carpet. One was place near my cabin and I could hear it throughout the night.There were also bad odors as we walked along the corridor. Water had to be turned off for several staterooms when we were in a port. Not mine. As long as it was not inside my cabin I was not terribly concerned. Sink holes don't bother me. But what is the reason for the leaks? The carpet is stained up and down the hallway. It would not stop me from sailing again on the ship but I think there are problems we don't see or know of.

Yikes, that sounds very unpleasant! Did the water that leaked on you as you went in and out of your cabin have an odor? Did it stain your clothing? I'm wondering what kind of 'water' is leaking...a fresh water pipe leaking is bad enough - but any other kind of leaking pipe would be even worse :eek:

Anyway, sorry about your experience & thanks for your report. Regards, -S.

The old ship is showing its plumbing age?

There is a lot more wrong with QM2 than the plumbing. Recently, my wife and I did a 12 day cruise. This was our 24th cruise but the first on one of the Queens. The food was great if you like Asian and British food. Most of our lunches were at the hamburger and sandwich eatery. The 3 service areas in the Kings Court Buffet all had the same choices. Dinners in the dining hall were poor to average; 6 entrées and 3 would be vegetarian. State rooms were average. Service in the dining room was great. Most of the help in the Kings Court looked like they would rather be somewhere else (this is usually a reflection on poor management). I could go on and on but here is my final disappointment - passengers from the UK and Asia are pushy and rude. Great cruising to ALL!

When I was last on QM2 in late July only Two main meals per evening were vegetarian on the menu.

One evening agreed there was Three. But lots of people eat vegetarian now,some like to try being a bit veggie and it does no harm at all. As a matter of fact better off people who make up 100% of Cunard:) passengers are more likely to eat vegetarian food as they are more informed about the harm that eating meat does to themselves and the harm it does to the environment.

Yikes, that sounds very unpleasant! Did the water that leaked on you as you went in and out of your cabin have an odor? Did it stain your clothing? I'm wondering what kind of 'water' is leaking...a fresh water pipe leaking is bad enough - but any other kind of leaking pipe would be even worse :eek:

Anyway, sorry about your experience & thanks for your report. Regards, -S.

Hi Salacia,

Fortunately, the leak started very early in the morning and by the time we returned from breakfast it was repaired. The second time it was around lunchtime. My resourceful husband placed our trash can under the leak to keep the carpet as dry as possible. But really not much help. My cabin steward said it was clean water but from the sewage type odor along the corridor, I would question that.

Hi Salacia,

Fortunately, the leak started very early in the morning and by the time we returned from breakfast it was repaired. The second time it was around lunchtime. My resourceful husband placed our trash can under the leak to keep the carpet as dry as possible. But really not much help. My cabin steward said it was clean water but from the sewage type odor along the corridor, I would question that.

Thanks for your reply, Sand dollar. Not a pretty story. I certainly hope the cause is quickly located and repaired before mold becomes a problem - if it isn't already a problem! -S.

Edited by Salacia

I could go on and on but here is my final disappointment - passengers from the UK and Asia are pushy and rude. Great cruising to ALL!

Nothing like stereotyping and generalising whole nations!! :rolleyes:

Just got off QM 2 on Saturday. There was one or two times we noticed a bit of dripping from ceiling in hallways. No one seemed overly concerned and bit didn't interfere with anything. Grand Lobby was open and noticed no construction. Veggie entrees - usually two per night. Usually there was one beef, one chicken or cartridge (poultry), one fish or seafood and two veggie. One night I chose the Canyon Ranch (healthy?) chicken option which was the only bad meal I had. Dry and tasteless. We had read the forums complaining about the staff. We saw a lot of smiles and good attitudes, so no issues there. We noticed the potholes under the carpet in the main large hallways, treacherous for those in heels or mobility challenged. Ship was constantly being cleaned as well.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Just got off QM 2 on Saturday. There was one or two times we noticed a bit of dripping from ceiling in hallways. No one seemed overly concerned and bit didn't interfere with anything. Grand Lobby was open and noticed no construction. Veggie entrees - usually two per night. Usually there was one beef, one chicken or cartridge (poultry), one fish or seafood and two veggie. One night I chose the Canyon Ranch (healthy?) chicken option which was the only bad meal I had. Dry and tasteless. We had read the forums complaining about the staff. We saw a lot of smiles and good attitudes, so no issues there. We noticed the potholes under the carpet in the main large hallways, treacherous for those in heels or mobility challenged. Ship was constantly being cleaned as well.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Hi Debinnova. My experience regarding the Canyon Ranch chicken option mirrored your experience. Oddly enough, one time when there was nothing on the menu in the MDR that appealed to me, I asked the waiter if I might have broiled chicken breast and whatever veggies and potato that was available (after having read on this forum that was an available alternative). Turns out, that was much more to my liking than the Canyon Ranch chicken, and my request was met without difficulty. (Of course, at the end of the cruise, my appreciation is shown by an added gratuity.)

But getting back to the issue of leaks...you mentioned that one or two times you noticed a bit dripping from the ceiling in hallways. I'm wondering if passengers report these leaks, or if it just considered a common occurrence? Would you care to mention what deck/s you noticed a bit of dripping from the ceiling?

Regarding the crew, I share your high opinion.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Nothing like stereotyping and generalising whole nations!! :rolleyes:

Yup. It ain't easy to dismiss passengers on QM2 from one nation and an entire continent - that combined have more than 5 billion people - as being rude and pushy in one short sentence, and yet two people from the 'Sunshine State' managed it. Quite a dubious accomplishment.

Edited by Salacia

Sometimes the leaking water is condensation from the air conditioning units. A good AC unit dehumidifies the air as well. That water has to go somewhere. It sounds as though the system hasn't got that drainage correct.

Hi fantasy. Yes, I can understand that. If the AC system on QM2 is malfunctioning to the point where condensation is dripping through the ceiling on various decks, would that not indicate that there is a systemic problem that has reached it's saturation point?

Would problems with the ships air conditioning result in problems with the plumbing in the bathrooms in cabins on several decks? It seems to that indicates a different issue.

Consider that when the decks are closed, fresh air is at a premium: we are all breathing whatever comes in from the ships air filtration system. And if there has been a problem with condensation in the air condition system, or any other malfunctioning system that results in 'water' leaking, then mold is a definite concern.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

We also got off the QM2 last Saturday after a crossing. The carpets are indeed stained in the Deck 5 corridor and there are certainly stale smells along there as well. We had a leak above our cabin door which seemed to start when work was going on to repair a leak further down the corridor! Both were repaired. Generally speaking the public areas were in good order but a number of stairway carpets were wearing and joins were opening up. We also noted the occasional "pothole": one in the Britannia right beside our table. There were also broken seats in the Planetarium area. In the Kings Court some of the furniture was distinctly scruffy. All of these points have been noted before on this forum and no doubt will have been mentioned on cruise questionnaires. One wonders why most of them have not been fixed as they would not require a dry dock: just routine maintenance.

Did all this spoil the experience? Not really. Many of them can be experienced from time to time on other lines. The ship still feels properly "grand". I suppose it is just that Cunard likes to represent itself as above the "common herd" of cruise line (White Star service and so on) and, frankly, these small faults assume disproportionate importance. Things were rather highlighted by the fact that we had just crossed the Atlantic from East to West on the Disney Magic, which was by comparison and in our experience immaculate.

Richard

We also got off the QM2 last Saturday after a crossing. The carpets are indeed stained in the Deck 5 corridor and there are certainly stale smells along there as well. We had a leak above our cabin door which seemed to start when work was going on to repair a leak further down the corridor! Both were repaired. Generally speaking the public areas were in good order but a number of stairway carpets were wearing and joins were opening up. We also noted the occasional "pothole": one in the Britannia right beside our table. There were also broken seats in the Planetarium area. In the Kings Court some of the furniture was distinctly scruffy. All of these points have been noted before on this forum and no doubt will have been mentioned on cruise questionnaires. One wonders why most of them have not been fixed as they would not require a dry dock: just routine maintenance.

Did all this spoil the experience? Not really. Many of them can be experienced from time to time on other lines. The ship still feels properly "grand". I suppose it is just that Cunard likes to represent itself as above the "common herd" of cruise line (White Star service and so on) and, frankly, these small faults assume disproportionate importance. Things were rather highlighted by the fact that we had just crossed the Atlantic from East to West on the Disney Magic, which was by comparison and in our experience immaculate.

Richard

Hi Froxfield. Thanks for your very fair and well measured personal report. You made a good point about the obvious flaws that could be repaired without putting the ship in dry dock.

I don't know what it would take to fix the sink hole problem (clearly the attempt to repair the problem in the last dry dock in 2011 didn't work), and I don't know what it would take to fix recurrent leak and plumbing problems. To the best of my knowledge, the cause of these problems has not been revealed, nor has Cunard made any comment about these issues.

Personally, I never thought that QM2 would be bested by Disney Magic, but there you go!

Thanks again for your report.

Best wishes,

Salacia

The food was great if you like Asian and British food.

I live there but I really don't know what British food is. Of course the idea used to be roast beef, bangers and mash, fish and chips, the sort of food served in the Golden Lion. But I don't remember anything like this in the MDR though.

And what is American food then? Surely not hamburgers and sandwiches.

David.