Ebola scare?

pearose

I'm sorry but, REALLY !!!! Don't start that scare, this is a vacation, feel good, gotta get away kinda site. We don't need scares of Ebola or anything else so please don't discuss this BS..

Knowledge is a good thing. If you dont want to know more suggest you avoid this thread.

I'm sorry but, REALLY !!!! Don't start that scare, this is a vacation, feel good, gotta get away kinda site. We don't need scares of Ebola or anything else so please don't discuss this BS..

You should tell that to the headwaiters on the Caribbean Princess. In the middle of dinner, a man called the attention of everyone and started screaming to everyone trying to enjoy their meal about cancer. None of the waiters or supervisory leaders did anything to stop him and let him carry on for quite a while. Apparently, he felt it was too important than to share it with only his tablemates.

You should tell that to the headwaiters on the Caribbean Princess. In the middle of dinner, a man called the attention of everyone and started screaming to everyone trying to enjoy their meal about cancer. None of the waiters or supervisory leaders did anything to stop him and let him carry on for quite a while. Apparently, he felt it was too important than to share it with only his tablemates.

Wow fun guy to spend time with on the cruise:):)

Wondering why they didnt ask him to go elsewhere for the rest of his dinner.

Has anyone heard of any port changes or scares of Ebola or worried about Ebola on any of the Carnival Caribbean cruises?

Nope, but I look forward to all the hype and speculation.

Wow fun guy to spend time with on the cruise:):)

Wondering why they didnt ask him to go elsewhere for the rest of his dinner.

Perhaps poor leadership with the Maître d' awarding no empowerment or authority to anyone besides himself has something to do with it.

Edited by Disconnections

Has anyone heard of any port changes or scares of Ebola or worried about Ebola on any of the Carnival Caribbean cruises?

Per the CDC, approximately 36,000 people in the USA die due to the flu annually and now you want to worry about ebola?

Edited by CTI1WLM

Knowledge is a good thing. If you don't want to know more suggest you avoid this thread.

Your right knowledge is a good thing, but it's not a good thing to scare people away about it. We already have one person in our group who has never cruised before, but know is backing out because of some of the talk. So yes it does affect people that are scared anyway and this just feeds the fire..

Knowledge does not scare people away, ignorance does. The more you are able to understand a process, the more likely you will live through any situation happily and safely, from every day life activities that lead to staying fit and healthy, driving a car to buy soap, taking a cruise vacation, or successfully performing intricate surgery, etc., etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I did not realize Carnival goes to Southwest Africa? Why the question? What possible outcome to your question are you expecting? Please elaborate on what exactly you are concerned about?

I did not realize Carnival goes to Southwest Africa? Why the question? What possible outcome to your question are you expecting? Please elaborate on what exactly you are concerned about?

The OP was asking about the Caribbean, not Africa. And perhaps they are concerned that an upcoming cruise itinerary may be changed due to Ebola. Fair question given the events of the last couple months.

Knowledge does not scare people away, ignorance does. The more you are able to understand a process, the more likely you will live through any situation happily and safely, from every day life activities that lead to staying fit and healthy, driving a car to buy soap, taking a cruise vacation, or successfully performing intricate surgery, etc., etc.

I've had the flu a few times and lived to tell about it as do most people who get it. There's also a vaccination for it. So while I personally am not freaking out over Ebola, it is fact that it's almost always deadly if you get it. It's not unreasonable to be concerned.
(( my emphasis )).

As I said, the CDC says 36,000 in the USA alone die per year from the flu. Yes, there are vaccines for the flu - but have you not heard? All the vaccines are not 100% effective against all strains of flu since the virus mutates.

Ebola is sourced in one general area - West Africa. Unless you have been travelling there, or come into contact with someone from that region, you do not have a valid reason to worry about Ebola.

Second, Ebola is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids. So, does that describe you? Also, a person who is infected with Ebola is not contagiious unless said person is symptomatic for Ebola.

Yes, there are Ebola cases in the USA. But, that is because the individuals were travelling from West Africa, or had come into contact with someone from that area.

So, if you people are concerned about Ebola due to an upcoming trip to the Caribbean - and with no other medical reasons - I would like to hear your reasoning.

And, if you decide that that snarky response "Well, I had the flu, but survived" is an intelligent remark in the face of the 36,000 people who died here, I would also like to hear your medical reasoning.

Please think things through, and if necessary pretend you are an adult.

I think the snarky one is you. I stated my opinion and stand by it. It's also a fact. And last I checked it my thoughts don't have to be validated by you or anyone else on this board. I myself am not worried about an upcoming trip as my next cruise isn't until next Summer. However the discussion isn't out of line or unreasonable for those that may have a trip coming up soon. If you don't agree then don't participate.

Have a good day.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

(( my emphasis )).

As I said, the CDC says 36,000 in the USA alone die per year from the flu. Yes, there are vaccines for the flu - but have you not heard? All the vaccines are not 100% effective against all strains of flu since the virus mutates.

Ebola is sourced in one general area - West Africa. Unless you have been travelling there, or come into contact with someone from that region, you do not have a valid reason to worry about Ebola.

Second, Ebola is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids. So, does that describe you? Also, a person who is infected with Ebola is not contagiious unless said person is symptomatic for Ebola.

Yes, there are Ebola cases in the USA. But, that is because the individuals were travelling from West Africa, or had come into contact with someone from that area.

So, if you people are concerned about Ebola due to an upcoming trip to the Caribbean - and with no other medical reasons - I would like to hear your reasoning.

And, if you decide that that snarky response "Well, I had the flu, but survived" is an intelligent remark in the face of the 36,000 people who died here, I would also like to hear your medical reasoning.

Please think things through, and if necessary pretend you are an adult.

Those body fluids for Ebola include saliva and sweat. Yeah, no chance of coming in contact with any saliva ( lido buffett anyone?) or sweat (yeah those folks coming back from their hot and sweaty excursions never touch a door handle, stair rail, or elevator button) on a cruise ship.

And by the way, the virus has been introduced to the Western Hemisphere.

It's more than a scare now. The good thing is those employees from Liberia and the affected areas are not having their contracts renewed, and being send home when their contract is done.

Says who? If they are on the ship, don't go home, they shouldn't be penalized. Our ebola people weren't Liberian:eek::eek:

You forgot to include the words "blood and bodily fluids" to "avoid contact" and "do not handle"

In a first world setting, noro is far more contagious than ebola. The main reason for the continuing spread of ebola in West Africa is the poor hygiene, poor sanitation, poor water quality, ethnic burial procedures, and the availability and use of "bush meat" which is where the virus came from in the first place.

Well said.

Too bad this site doesn't have a thumbs up for excellent posts. So far, yours is the most logical one posted.

It's more than a scare now. The good thing is those employees from Liberia and the affected areas are not having their contracts renewed, and being send home when their contract is done.

Where did you hear this? And therefore, because they are Liberian, they are immediately prone to catching ebola? After many months on the ship, not being anywhere close to the affected areas?