Ebola scare?

pearose

Exactly...have taken care of a lot of patients are diagnosed days after we have taken care of them. Happens all the time. Of course the nurse will be blamed regardless if she followed protocol or not. Would be hard to believe a nurse wouldn't be extra careful in a situation like this

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Interesting, is the doctor who was treated with Ebola and released blamed? Obviously he didn't follow protocol or his Ebola disease was more lethal than what the CDC wants to say. If it's airborne how can you be careful? We have no answers. I just don't want vital info hidden from anyone. I'll board the ship and have a good time. Come what may. I'd rather be leaving the ship by walking off, than laying in a hall way with medical crew pumping on my chest--which I have witnessed. :eek:

It's much more likely that any one of us will step off of a curb, get hit by a Mack truck, and die than be infected with Ebola, HIV, etc. I think the best course of action is to take reasonable precautions whenever we travel (to avoid coming down with a much deadlier case of the flu, etc.) and have fun while we're still living. Death is inevitable - it's just the way we get there that differs.

It's much more likely that any one of us will step off of a curb, get hit by a Mack truck, and die than be infected with Ebola, HIV, etc. I think the best course of action is to take reasonable precautions whenever we travel (to avoid coming down with a much deadlier case of the flu, etc.) and have fun while we're still living. Death is inevitable - it's just the way we get there that differs.

If someone infected with Ebola touches any surface and they have a bit of sweat on the hand, any surface.. a grocery cart, a gas pump, a door to a doctors office, a job, or the seat divider on a plane, or anything... and then you touch it... you have now come in contact with the virus... very scary to say the least.

Definitely not true for those who work in healthcare. I can see how some people may not be that concerned, those who work from home, people who are around a very small number of people on a daily basis, etc. But for people who work in healthcare this is a very real and immediate concern. The next patient from Liberia could show up at your hospital doorstep any time now, and infect you seemingly fairly easily at this point, the hazmat suits obviously aren't foolproof. And this nurse cannot recall any breach in protocol.

My son goes to a daycare where many of the children in his room have physicians as parents and he puts his mouth on everything they do I'm sure, he's 15 month old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jetta8300

The world just keeps getting scarier.

It is. Some people's mentality is questioned at times too! CNN interviewed a female in Boston area who must have been near the ER. She complained she was not told " what to do" except take a shower and monitor her temperatures. What else were they supposed to say?

It is. Some people's mentality is questioned at times too! CNN interviewed a female in Boston area who must have been near the ER. She complained she was not told " what to do" except take a shower and monitor her temperatures. What else were they supposed to say?

Go find a bubble and become a bubble girl????

Info coming out though is getting scarier and scarier and making me wonder what we are not being told.

This is a cruise site, but Ebola is important oo.

CNN was speaking of caregiver protocol. The protocol is for removing one glove with the contaminated one. Okay. Then remove the other by slipping the fingers into the cuff of the next contaminated one, keep them together and dispose in proper receptacle. Sounds great on paper. What happens to the hand removing glove #2? It has to touch the cuff/arm of the protective gown. Then they showed how to remove the goggles with hands. Here is another potential breach if the hand has touched a contaminated gown cuff!

you are most definitely correct -- i was thinking decades -- not sure why i typed centuries!

regardless -- it is the monster of the week.

That's about how long AIDS has been with us and it did come out of the Congo.

At Ruthlessboss: Yes, this is a cruise site, and diseases do come with cruises. People fly in to go on cruises and are exposed to all kinds of nasties, then they board the ship and we know the rest of the story. Best way to avoid sickness if keep your hands away from your face, and wash your hands frequently with soap and water. I don't think that the germ soap at the entrance to the buffet line is of any help. I see people use it, then proceed to lick their fingers and touch the spoons to serve themselves. I hate to be gross, but I see it all the time. Touch the arm of the chair to sit down and you've just recontaminated yourself! :eek: I guess maybe wear disposable gloves to the buffet. I may just pack some for our next cruise.

On my very first Carnival cruise, in lido buffet, I saw a guy picked up two clean plates, pressing his fat hand inside the plates (like doing the palm print), and put one plate back. The only reason I could guess was he was testing the temperature. Some plates were very hot.

Breached protocol? Until they say exactly what sort of protocol procedure this nurse breached.... I think saying " breached protocol" is just a CYA for the hospital. Looks like they want to blame the nurse.

However I would bet that there is enough blame for everyone involved to take a piece

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I gathered of their lingo, and from working at a hospital myself, I think what they mean by "breached protocol" is that she either didn't follow instructions in removing her PPE's (personal protective equipment) or the hospital didn't properly train the employees or both.

It is a very complicated process to remove all that equipment you are required to wear without getting any droplet of ebola on you and I am assuming they are trying to either blame the nurse or the hospital in doing it incorrectly. Because they keep saying the transmission came after he was isolated.

Still, it is very concerning how easily this nurse became infected and how quickly her life has changed just from treating a patient she was asked to care for. It scares the crap out of me. I work in a local hospital, am I going to come into contact with one of these patients? I think everyone who is worried about ebola is worried rightfully so. I think there are a lot of unknowns about this disease.

Ebola has not been around for centuries. I've been around longer than Ebola and I'm in my early 40s.

Actually, Ebola has been around for a long time. There just wasn't an outbreak until now. Ebola outdates 1970...

The relevance to a cruise discussion is that if they don't quickly get their act together, it could very well become a problem for cruises and travel in general.

A huge lapse I noticed is that even in Africa, health workers are being sprayed down with disinfectant (probably bleach) BEFORE they attempt to remove any part of the suit. That way if you accidentally touch something while taking off the suit it is has probably already been killed by the bleach. And obviously even that has not been foolproof, because many have died.

From what I have seen, the US workers are not having their contaminated suits disinfected before removal. They are just hoping not to make the slightest wrong move. Obviously the protocol they have been given says this step is not necessary for something the CDC says is 'as difficult to contract as Ebola'.

They are being given Level 2 protective gear and being sent in to treat a Level 4 disease. Spin from the CDC will not protect these poor workers from reality.

CNN was speaking of caregiver protocol. The protocol is for removing one glove with the contaminated one. Okay. Then remove the other by slipping the fingers into the cuff of the next contaminated one, keep them together and dispose in proper receptacle. Sounds great on paper. What happens to the hand removing glove #2? It has to touch the cuff/arm of the protective gown. Then they showed how to remove the goggles with hands. Here is another potential breach if the hand has touched a contaminated gown cuff!

Edited by James in SA

The relevance to a cruise discussion is that if they don't quickly get their act together, it could very well become a problem for cruises and travel in general.

A huge lapse I noticed is that even in Africa, health workers are being sprayed down with disinfectant (probably bleach) BEFORE they attempt to remove any part of the suit. That way if you accidentally touch something while taking off the suit it is has probably already been killed by the bleach. And obviously even that has not been foolproof, because many have died.

From what I have seen, the US workers are not having their contaminated suits disinfected before removal. They are just hoping not to make the slightest wrong move. Obviously the protocol they have been given says this step is not necessary for something the CDC says is 'as difficult to contract as Ebola'.

They are being given Level 2 protective gear and being sent in to treat a Level 4 disease. Spin from the CDC will not protect these poor workers from reality.

Apparently, Mr. Duncan was in diapers! How do you change a diaper and not be exposed to urine and feces? I wonder if cruise lines have protocols JIC (just in case)? They quarantine passengers with noro virus - but people survive that. Listening to the NIH head honchos, they really don't have any protocols in place for hospitals. Nurses are screaming for training. If I were a nurse I'd refuse to take care of someone with a deadly disease without full protection and training.:eek:

I work in emergency measure planning for a hospital, Ebola is the big thing rigt now and proper training is given to nurse and elderly on how to remove the protective suit. One important thing, they must wash hand after each step...

I am not out to scare anyone, but this is what I've always thought all along. Experts say that it has the potential to be airborne. If so, this is a game changer for everyone, every business especially those dealing in travel. Cruiselines, airlines, buses, trains, subways, BART, etc A few months back, a student who just returned from China was diagnosed with TB the highly contagious kind. He did in fact board BART and TPTB had a heck of time tracking down everyone he came into contact with. The link below is an excellent article - knowledge is power. Again, I'm not trying to scare monger, I am scared myself and for my family and fellow man.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-13/cidrap-we-believe-there-scientific-evidence-ebola-has-potential-be-airborne

No one has said this disease is spread in an airborne manner but the web site that you have posted!

NO one at the other hospitals besides the one in Dallas(where they didn't even know to keep a patient with 103 temp) has gotten ebola even though they had sick patients with health careworkers taking care of them!

It seems logical that this particular hospital is not good at this sort of serious safety stuff . IF the disease was airborne many many more health workers would have it!

I don't think this thread has anything to do with cruising now! IF it becomes a cruise issue then that would be different but right now it is just people talking and some people stirring the pot to make the anxiety worse!!

Let's just stop!

Per the CDC, approximately 36,000 people in the USA die due to the flu annually and now you want to worry about ebola?

I did not say I was worried about it. But whether you want to believe it or not, deny it all you want to, changes have already started with Ebola screenings in airports and all I was curious about was if there had been any changes or protocols put in place by Carnival yet regarding Ebola.

I am from Dallas. But I am not running around screaming "the sky is falling" or particularly worried about contracting it myself at this point. I simply wanted information for anyone that might have any, if there have been any changes implemented by the cruise lines due to all that is going on regarding Ebola yet.

In my opinion, the more knowledge we have on something, the more armed we are to protect ourselves, or keep it from spreading. Is any of this going to keep from traveling, cruising or enjoying my vacation? NO. But burying your head in the sand and pretending it's not happening is not going to help either. Just sayin....

In my opinion, the more knowledge we have on something, the more armed we are to protect ourselves, or keep it from spreading. Is any of this going to keep from traveling, cruising or enjoying my vacation? NO. But burying your head in the sand and pretending it's not happening is not going to help either. Just sayin....

I agree, but some want to stifle any info coming out. I prefer to keep my head above the sand, and I do question authority, they seem to change their stance moment to moment whatever fits their agenda.

No one has said this disease is spread in an airborne manner but the web site that you have posted!

NO one at the other hospitals besides the one in Dallas(where they didn't even know to keep a patient with 103 temp) has gotten ebola even though they had sick patients with health careworkers taking care of them!

It seems logical that this particular hospital is not good at this sort of serious safety stuff . IF the disease was airborne many many more health workers would have it!

I don't think this thread has anything to do with cruising now! IF it becomes a cruise issue then that would be different but right now it is just people talking and some people stirring the pot to make the anxiety worse!!

Let's just stop!

Actually, they have had doctors on Fox, CNN and MSNBC say it is airborne in that droplets of spit contain the virus. If you are within close contact to an infected person,and they sneeze on them, you can get infected. The CDC has told Americans STILL going to Liberia to avoid all public transportation.

I agree...Fear is our worst enemy

I agree ..the CDC by giving the appearance of not telling the truth, or not knowing the truth, spreads fear.

I agree. People spread Ebola. Airlines are a very efficent and quick way to deliver people with Ebola to the USA and else where.

The HoT Zone should be quarantined. Passenger flights slights suspended. Doctors, nurses, money should be flown in on Military planes or chartered planes, as they do now.

It is having an affect on travel now. It will get worse. For states like Florida, a hit in the cruise industry affects everything. Jobs. Taxes paid from those jobs. Schools. Hospitals. Law Officers.....................It is a vicious cycle. It concerned me when a Sen Coons, the Chair of the Africa Com. in the Senate, said today that the Ebola Crisis was not about the USA, that we had only had two cases, while Africa has had 4,000. Was it not his job to get in there when it started? He is not concerned with Ebola in the USA?

Statements like that....create anger, frustration and Fear. Let us pray for the people afflicted in the USA and in Africa, and for a vaccine soon. And for our Govt. to tell us the truth...be it good or bad. So we can trust them again.