Really how big is the getaway?

jdurant1981

Since the ship is twice the size, and has twice as many people. will it actually feel evenly crowded with the smaller ship? ive always traveled in no peak season so novemeber sailing shouldnt have many kids right??

As long as you're traveling when school is typically in session, there shouldn't be hundreds of kids onboard.

Last year I sailed during a spring break week (against my better judgment, but my cabinmate was a teacher and could only take that week off), and we had a connecting flight through Orlando to San Juan.

On the plane from Richmond to Orlando, nearly half the passengers were small children going to Disneyworld. I "kid" you not. ;)

It was the flight from... you know where. :eek:

On the ship, it was more college-age spring-breakers than tots.

I remember thinking when I did a tour of the BA that it was a huge ship, but still felt crowded b/c of the amount of people. I don't think any of the public areas of either the BA or the GA are much bigger feeling than the Gem or the Dawn (the pools, dining rooms, etc) but you will notice the size as you are going from one area to another. A much longer feeling walk area the ship.

Since the ship is twice the size, and has twice as many people. will it actually feel evenly crowded with the smaller ship? ive always traveled in no peak season so novemeber sailing shouldnt have many kids right??

There is a chance because it's NJ teacher convention week. I usually go to Disney this week and there's always a lot of people from NJ there, and also I believe there's some type of break in Canada that week.

Edited by NJCruiser1206
Thought this was about the BA

I have not been on the Getaway (will be on her 12/6). I have been on the Epic twice and I suggest you review the deck plans on the NCL website.

It will help you see which decks have places you are interested in and help you be somewhat familiar with the ship before you walk on.

I have not been on the Getaway (will be on her 12/6). I have been on the Epic twice and I suggest you review the deck plans on the NCL website.

It will help you see which decks have places you are interested in and help you be somewhat familiar with the ship before you walk on.

We have been on both the Epic and the Getaway and I have to say they are quite different ships IMO. On the Epic, I can remember getting off the forward elevator on deck 6 and literally having a "Wow!" moment because you could see almost clear to the other end of the ship. Not so with the Getaway. In a direct contrast to it's vast feeling of size from the pier, it felt quite closed in. Of course, that is not keeping us from sailing on her again in January! She is b-i-g, no doubt about it, but I can see where others say it "doesn't necessarily feel" that much bigger than the Jewel class of ships.

I've cruised on the Breakaway, it's twin. Full load is 4,500 passengers. Everything is crowded and lines everywhere . Not the most pleasant experience when school is out. You will also need reservations for all shows and dining venues. Typical dinner takes 2 hours. The public rooms are not really larger than a ship of 90,000 tons. After the voyage I vowed I will not cruise on a ship with more than 3,600 guests.

Leaving on the Royal Princess tomorrow out of NYC for New England and Canada. It's just about the same size as Getaway, but 1,000 less passengers and school is in session.

BTW all the newer ships seem to have no outside cabins.... Mostly balconies and the balconies are minuscule. Just enough too for two chairs, not lounge chairs.

Of course the new ships are beautiful and packed with amenities and choices, and attentive crews, but you really have to consider what you enjoy and what kind of cruise experience you desire. Bon voyage!!!!!!

I've traveled on the EPIC (haven't been able to do the Breakaway or Getaway yet), which is the largest ship in the fleet, and it never felt crowded. I kept saying the ship wasn't full, but the crew kept saying it was, so who knows.....

The ships are laid out very well, so you aren't stumbling over people. But yes...if the largest NCL ship you have traveled on is the SKY....you will notice a huge difference.

It's a lot bigger, but I've never found the Epic (the big ship I've been in the most) to feel any more crowded than the smaller ones.

There are differences though. The newer ships seem more "open", if that makes sense, with a big walkway through the ship with venues off to the side, whereas walking the length of the older ships you tend to spend more time walking down corridors beside venues. That makes them seem bigger, but also in my opinion more spacious.

The main difference though is how the entertainment works. It isn't as reliant on a main show in the theatre, and there are lots of smaller venues like headliners around the ship. From reading reviews here, that seems to be a big difference that some people struggle with.

BTW all the newer ships seem to have no outside cabins.... Mostly balconies and the balconies are minuscule.

The Breakaway and Getaway (plus Escape when it's launched) have ocean view cabins. The only NCL ship that I'm aware of without them is the Epic.

Edited by KeithJenner