New England/Canada cruise????

midwestchick

This is a cruise that has interesed me for a while. I've been looking at several cruise lines that offer the itinerary but did notice X has a nice 14 day cruise on the Summit next fall, which seems to have limited availability for the stateroom category I want.

For those of you who have done this, can you share you experiences? Good, bad, indifferent? Also, did any of you do any touring in NYC prior or after the cruise? Thank you in advance for your insights.

We did the cruise last year and loved it-particularly the overnight in Quebec. I often visit NY so no extra touring there for me, but I highly recommend it. You can actually see a whole lot cheaply.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We did the cruise last year and loved it-particularly the overnight in Quebec. I often visit NY so no extra touring there for me, but I highly recommend it. You can actually see a whole lot cheaply.

Happy Sails to You

If we do this, I'll be looking for ideas...and the less expensive the better. We've never been to NY...I know there is a lot to see.

We did this cruise in 2012 and loved it. Drove from St Louis to NYC since our daughter lives half way so the drive was not that bad. By driving we took advantage of the liquor specials on the ship and brought maple syrup from Canada. Stayed in East Rutherford, N.J. There was a bus stop right in front of the hotel so we were in the middle of Manhattan in 20 minutes. Had a great day. Did buy Gray line bus tour to see more of Manhattan. Took the bus back to the hotel. Dropped us off across the street from the hotel. Took us about 25 minutes to drive to the ship. Parked right next to the ship. It was so easy.

The cruise was in October but the leaves had not changed much because of the drought. Had a great time Bar Harbor, Halifax. Missed PEI because of weather. Because of that we had 3 days in Quebec City. It was Awesome.

Quebec City was the only stop that it was cool. Gloves and scarves. It was great walking weather. On the way back we stopped at Gaspe. But they don't stop there now, to bad. Also stopped in Portland which was also good, been there before.

We liked the cruise so much that we are thinking about doing the cruise again in 2016.

Edited by ozark74

We took this cruise in September 2013. It's a nice cruise, but not spectacular. I don't know exactly what the itinerary is for your cruise, but I was disappointed that I couldn't see the tidal bore on the Bay of Fundy. But, I knew that when I booked. It was too early for the leaves to turn color, so we missed that as well. The best part for me was all the FRESH seafood and lobster. Also had the best blueberry pie ever in Bar Harbor. Took a boat tour that went by the Bush estate in Kennebunkport and saw President George H.W. Bush being wheeled along the coast in a wheelchair. Secret Service came out to shoo us away. We spent 4 days in New York pre-cruise, and had a great time. Stayed about a block off Times Square. Lots to see and do, and great places to eat, e.g. NY style pizza, real Kosher deli's, great Chinese food, etc etc. Yankee Stadium. Have fun!

We went at the end of Sept2012 but it was too early to see much change in the trees. If you want to see Autumn colours book as late as you can. We really enjoyed Quebec and actually had three days there because of the weather.

This is a cruise that has interesed me for a while. I've been looking at several cruise lines that offer the itinerary but did notice X has a nice 14 day cruise on the Summit next fall, which seems to have limited availability for the stateroom category I want.

For those of you who have done this, can you share you experiences? Good, bad, indifferent? Also, did any of you do any touring in NYC prior or after the cruise? Thank you in advance for your insights.

This is a wonderful cruise, in my opinion. Took a PRINCESS (Prefer Celebrity though) ship out of Red Hook several years back and loved everything about the cruise. Ports were fabulous and I ditto everything everyone has said. Great seafood, great blueberry pies, beautiful scenerary (monitor http://www.yankeefoliage.com) for expected fall foliage burst of color.

Spent 4 nights post cruise in NYC - Times Square area. I was traveling with 1st time visitors who wanted the whole experience. As a home-based TA I really prefer staying "out of the city" as another poster noted E. Rutherford area. I also like Hoboken, NJ which has several PRICELINE hotels near the Path Station and along the Hudson river. Prices are a little more reasonable than NYC. Bid and got the "W" hotel for $70 per night for our last trip. About the same price for our E. Rutherford/Meadowlands hotel.

We did this cruise in October of last year and thought it was great. The trees were changing color and it was beautiful We live in Phoenix, so seeing the colors was awesome. Quebec is a great City and we enjoyed the overnight there. There is also a lot to see and do in New York. We have been there several times, so did not stay for this trip. Summit was great and we had a great time.

We took this cruise in September 2013. It's a nice cruise, but not spectacular. I don't know exactly what the itinerary is for your cruise, but I was disappointed that I couldn't see the tidal bore on the Bay of Fundy. But, I knew that when I booked. It was too early for the leaves to turn color, so we missed that as well. The best part for me was all the FRESH seafood and lobster. Also had the best blueberry pie ever in Bar Harbor. Took a boat tour that went by the Bush estate in Kennebunkport and saw President George H.W. Bush being wheeled along the coast in a wheelchair. Secret Service came out to shoo us away. We spent 4 days in New York pre-cruise, and had a great time. Stayed about a block off Times Square. Lots to see and do, and great places to eat, e.g. NY style pizza, real Kosher deli's, great Chinese food, etc etc. Yankee Stadium. Have fun!

That is a concern of mine...I know people that have cruised to New England and loved it but I was a little nervous about it not being what we expected. I was also trying to find something in California wine country and see what was offered.

I've read about the wonderful, fresh seafood and I'm am a lobsteraholic....;)

Here is the itinerary that I copied from the website.

Keep the ideas coming...this one has not been ruled out yet. We would definitely spend a few days prior to the cruise. I'm thinking a trip to Ellis Island would also be in order to see what else we can find out about DH's ancestors.

Date Port/City Activity Arrival Departure

Day 1 Cape Liberty, New Jersey 4:00PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Boston, Massachusetts Docked 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 4 Portland, Maine Docked 8:00AM 5:00PM

Day 5 Bar Harbor, Maine Tendered 7:00AM 5:00PM

Day 6 At Sea

Day 7 At Sea

Day 8 Quebec City, Quebec Docked 10:00AM

Day 9 Quebec City, Quebec Docked 5:00PM

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Charlottetown, Pr. Edward Isl. Docked 8:00AM 5:00PM

Day 12 Sydney, Nova Scotia Docked 8:00AM 4:00PM

Day 13 Halifax, Nova Scotia Docked 8:30AM 6:30PM

Day 14 At Sea

Day 15 Cape Liberty, New Jersey 7:00AM

Just backed from this cruise on Summit - maybe I am easily impressed because I thought the scenery was fantastic it was a really enjoyable trip. I've still todo a review, will do soon.

Just backed from this cruise on Summit - maybe I am easily impressed because I thought the scenery was fantastic it was a really enjoyable trip. I've still todo a review, will do soon.

Nice to know, uktog. I still have to do a review of our cruise...trying to sort through the pictures.

Looking forward to your review.

We do have beautiful foilage here but I'm looking at this mainly for the ports. I also know people from here that said New England foilage is even prettier than what we have here.

That is a concern of mine...I know people that have cruised to New England and loved it but I was a little nervous about it not being what we expected. I was also trying to find something in California wine country and see what was offered.

I've read about the wonderful, fresh seafood and I'm am a lobsteraholic....;)

Here is the itinerary that I copied from the website.

Keep the ideas coming...this one has not been ruled out yet. We would definitely spend a few days prior to the cruise. I'm thinking a trip to Ellis Island would also be in order to see what else we can find out about DH's ancestors.

Date Port/City Activity Arrival Departure

Day 1 Cape Liberty, New Jersey 4:00PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Boston, Massachusetts Docked 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 4 Portland, Maine Docked 8:00AM 5:00PM

Day 5 Bar Harbor, Maine Tendered 7:00AM 5:00PM

Day 6 At Sea

Day 7 At Sea

Day 8 Quebec City, Quebec Docked 10:00AM

Day 9 Quebec City, Quebec Docked 5:00PM

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Charlottetown, Pr. Edward Isl. Docked 8:00AM 5:00PM

Day 12 Sydney, Nova Scotia Docked 8:00AM 4:00PM

Day 13 Halifax, Nova Scotia Docked 8:30AM 6:30PM

Day 14 At Sea

Day 15 Cape Liberty, New Jersey 7:00AM

Your itinerary is a bit different from my cruise. We had:

Bayonne, NJ

At Sea -- --

Portland, ME

Bar Harbor, ME

Halifax

Sydney

Charlottetown

At Sea -- --

Quebec City

Quebec City

At Sea -- --

Gaspe

At Sea -- --

At Sea -- --

Bayonne, NJ

You have a good itinerary. Boston is a great port and fabulous city. Lots to see and do there. Quebec is nice. I found the ship shore excursions to be mostly forgettable. Maybe I just picked the wrong ones. Anyway, in case you didn't know, there can be a world of difference between live lobster and FRESH live lobster. Enjoy! In Charlottetown, try the clams.

You have a good itinerary. Boston is a great port and fabulous city. Lots to see and do there. Quebec is nice. I found the ship shore excursions to be mostly forgettable. Maybe I just picked the wrong ones. Anyway, in case you didn't know, there can be a world of difference between live lobster and FRESH live lobster. Enjoy! In Charlottetown, try the clams.

Oh, I do know the difference between fresh live lobster :D...it's hard to find here.

DH loves the clams. Fresh bouillabaisse is also one of his favorites.

I doubt we would do the ship's excursions....roll call is a great place to find people to share private excrsions.

We did the east coast on Princess. Loved all the ports. Boston and Bar Harbor are fantastic.

We are booked on the Sept 6 2015 Summit cruise. I was reading a article about the Cathededral-Basilica of Notre Dame de Quebec in the Knights of Columbus magazine about celebrating their 350th anniversary and to celebrate this special jubilee year a Holy Door has been installed. It is only one of seven in the world and the only one in the Americas. 4 are in Rome, one in France and one in Spain. They are only opened during a special holy year or jubilee and could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. At the end of the year it will be sealed up. It is a spiritual pilgrimage for Catholics.

I said to my wife it is too bad that we will miss it and she said not really as we can still drive there. So we are leaving on the 22 of this month and will be there to celebrate our 45th anniversary. Even though we have been married for 45 years were have basically been a couple for 50 as we dated in high school and a total of 5 years before we got married. So it will be a very special occasion.

This will give us a chance to do a previsit to Quebec.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We did the east coast on Princess. Loved all the ports. Boston and Bar Harbor are fantastic.

We are booked on the Sept 6 2015 Summit cruise. I was reading a article about the Cathededral-Basilica of Notre Dame de Quebec in the Knights of Columbus magazine about celebrating their 350th anniversary and to celebrate this special jubilee year a Holy Door has been installed. It is only one of seven in the world and the only one in the Americas. 4 are in Rome, one in France and one in Spain. They are only opened during a special holy year or jubilee and could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. At the end of the year it will be sealed up. It is a spiritual pilgrimage for Catholics.

I said to my wife it is too bad that we will miss it and she said not really as we can still drive there. So we are leaving on the 22 of this month and will be there to celebrate our 45th anniversary. Even though we have been married for 45 years were have basically been a couple for 50 as we dated in high school and a total of 5 years before we got married. So it will be a very special occasion.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Yes, after they close the door in December it will be sealed until 2025.

Wishing you a great land trip to Québec and a Happy Anniversary!

Josée

We did something similar with another line. Late September so trees not yet in glorious coour but still it was an outstanding cruise and anyone not impressed by the scenery must be pretty hard to please. The only thing more scenic in my experience is Norway.

The only drawback? We stopped at Corner Brook, which was an itinerary change and was massively underwhelming. Probably the worst stop we've ever had, but probably not on your itinerary so all the rest - Quebec, Bar Harbor, Halifax, etc. etc. are great.

Best lobstah in the world is at Ryer's which is near Peggy's Cove. Rent a car in Halifax, and drive. Thank me later.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g635951-d2252615-Reviews-Ryer_Lobsters-Indian_Harbour_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html#photos

Happy Sails to You

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Have a wonderful trip and happy anniversary.

To the other posters....thanks for the tips. I'll be certain the check into the car rental.

Looking at Celebrity's web site....it shows 2 cruises in Sept 2015 and 1 cruise in Oct 2015. The two in Sept are listed under those available for the current 123 package, but the Oct is not listed.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge as to why the Oct cruise would not be listed? I'm hoping this is just another Celebrity glitch, and I know I could call Celebrity for an answer, but I don't want the frustration right now.

Thanks for any information....

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Like this post *so* much! Happy anniversary!!!

I did this cruise a few years ago. Nice towns to visit. As far as gorgeous fall foliage, you may or may not see it. Changing foliage can vary from year to year. Some years the foliage is beautiful. Some years are yellow and dull. Timing can also vary. Last year during the last week of September, we took a foliage trip through NY state up to Montreal. Leaves were already off the trees in Canada. New York Adorondack mts were gorgeous. The scenery is still lovely even if you miss the fall foliage display.

I did this cruise a few years ago. Nice towns to visit. As far as gorgeous fall foliage, you may or may not see it. Changing foliage can vary from year to year. Some years the foliage is beautiful. Some years are yellow and dull. Timing can also vary. Last year during the last week of September, we took a foliage trip through NY state up to Montreal. Leaves were already off the trees in Canada. New York Adorondack mts were gorgeous. The scenery is still lovely even if you miss the fall foliage display.

Were you able to see the Adorondacks from the ship or was this a trip you did on your own?

Our foilage is always something that is not a given...very dependent upon weather conditions. We're not seeing the vibrant colors here yet either.

Looking at Celebrity's web site....it shows 2 cruises in Sept 2015 and 1 cruise in Oct 2015. The two in Sept are listed under those available for the current 123 package, but the Oct is not listed.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge as to why the Oct cruise would not be listed? I'm hoping this is just another Celebrity glitch, and I know I could call Celebrity for an answer, but I don't want the frustration right now.

When I spoke with X last week, they told me the 123 go promo was available on the Oct. 4 cruise. After speaking with them, I spoke with my TA...he also said it's available.

We booked the Oct 4th cruise with a large US travel agent in late August. Paid $2653 (incl taxes) each for guaranteed balcony - received the free drinks package + $250 OBC:D.

we just got off this cruise week ago. Had a fantastic time ...the scenery was spectacular and the ship and crew from the Captain down were wonderful. We did 3 days pre cruise in New York and there is a lot to cram into those 3 days ..it was exhausting, but fun. Happy to have seen it, but not in a hurry to rush back, too busy for my liking, but that is just personal choice.