Cruising and Ebola

NauticalNelle

I talked to my son who is a doctor. He kind of thanks this country is getting what it deserves. We elect liberal clowns that hate america the CDC has tests that the military uses the device can detect to 90% certainty if one has EBOLA.

The device was in Texas at the hospital but the FDA did not allow its use.

I am not sure she has it but the test on her should be done before the news that she may have EBOLA is out. At this point whether she has it or not may be academic. The cruise industry is in big trouble. Already some ports will not allow our cruise ships to visit if people from west Africa on it even before this news. Its quite likely the restrictions of where our cruise ships can even dock is going to get larger.

The sad truth is that it may be to late. The other party is full of RINOs and the media is fully infected with liberalism. It's very hard in this country to get honest news any more.

We have yet to get serious about stopping it in America will allow and encourage the infected to come into this country and then we are surprised

that its spreading and other countries may start limiting travel by Americans since we aren't yet serious about stopping it here. I would hate to think the left is doing this on purpose so that martial law could be imposed in this country.

Agree!

It's only a matter of time before all our cruises are cancelled because other countries do not want to take a chance that one of us Americans may be infected because of our very loose border control. I don't blame them one bit!

That's what's great about America: we have freedom of speech!!!!!

Everyone needs to respect everyone's opinions even if they differ from the "politically correct" norm.

Lol! Well I got blasted for saying the situation was stupid. I never blamed the technician although it was interpreted I did by one poster here-I blamed those who were not clear what being watched for signs of Ebola meant. You can't get mad at nurses and technicians-when the whole hospital (and CDC)seems to be clueless.

Like you said it is a free country and you feel I can say what I want, so that is my thoughts which it has nothing to do with politics. Just that a lot of people much better educated than nurses and technicians, as far as knowledge about diseases dropped the ball.

I look at it this way - about 4,000 people have died worldwide from Ebola. Per Wikipedia the population of Liberia alone is 4.4million, I did not bother to look up the other two countries. If all 4,000 were in Liberia, that would mean a .01% chance, 1-100th of a percent chance of contracting Ebola. In a country with sub-standard healthcare (Wikipedia says 1 doctor for every 100,000 people!), where the general population does not understand how Ebola spreads, .01% chance!

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for those that have died and I think everyone needs to be vigilant but the chance of any one of us getting Ebola are very low! Look at Mr. Duncan's family - they are nearing 21 days from exposure and none of them are sick! They had direct contact with him and no one is ill. The two nurses did not have "normal" contact with the man, they were performing medical procedures - that is not the contact any of us would ever have!

Kudos to the person who self-quarantined on the ship! She is a smart woman who was looking out for her fellow passengers despite the fact that she is NOT sick, NO symptoms!

If you are afraid to cruise because of Ebola, send me your ticket - I'll gladly get on a ship in your place!

Perhaps you should rethink your calculations. :rolleyes:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/10/exponential_ebola.html:rolleyes:

Perhaps you should rethink your calculations. :rolleyes:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/10/exponential_ebola.html

I stand by my original statement - as compared to the overall population of the 3 West African countries, very few people have contracted Ebola.

Next time you want to refute something, make sure you post the link correctly so someone can actually see it. Since you saw the need to roll your eyes at me, the link was broken.

I don't blame Belize for that reaction - that nurse should had known better since bodily fluids can mix in the pool water. Sorry, but she s/he should canceled their trip (this why cruise insurance is important, especially for medical professionals) til everyone who gave care to that guy that died is in the clear or at least getting medical attention. Especially when other nurses were complaining that hospital didn't properly train people in handling Ebola.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I don't blame Belize but I don't blame the nurse either. The governments are way behind on this crisis and people need clear leadership at times like this.

I think things like the flu are a far bigger threat to us than Ebola will ever be on a cruise ship......if that terrifies you then you shouldn't travel. Looking forward too my cruise in 37 days!

Is anyone else afraid that it is only a matter of time before the first case of ebola breaks out on a ship and that is the end of the cruise industry?

Since the US is welcoming 150 travelers a day from W. Africa with open arms, it is only a matter of time before it becomes more of a problem than it already is.

I'm terrified! :eek:

can we please keep the political crap out of this conversation - it is obvious you have an agenda here.

All political parties have an agenda - it's more a matter of which load of crap you wish to sift through.

Here are my concerns the health care workers used recommended protection devices and still contracted the disease. Atleast they had some protection. The virus can be present on surfaces for an extended period of time.

According to World Health Organization (WHO), 95 percent of confirmed Ebola cases have an incubation period in the range of 1 to 21 days, while 98 percent have an incubation period that falls in the 1 to 42-day interval, which means 2 percent— or 1 in 50 people— have a longer incubation period than 21 days.

WHO does not declare an Ebola outbreak over in a country until no new cases are reported within a 42-day period.

Are we being told the complete story?

Okay I just read an article on Carnival Magic. form the Telegraph. hopefully they know what they are talking about. The ship left on October 12. On October 15, the CDC upgraded their restrictions for people who have come in contact with Ebola who were in the 21 day period. It was THEN this poor woman became restricted. Upon learning this she voluntarily along with her husband quarantined herself in their stateroom.

She did not violate any CDC rules when she boarded ship.

The ship wanted to fly her back from Belize but Belize refused to allow her to disembark ship to fly home although they allowed the other PAX to go into port for the day. The next day the ship got into Cozumel and and Cozumel refused to allow anyone to disembark ship. Today is day 21 and the woman has no symptoms BTW.

This is what I think cruise lines should do to save themselves a lot of money-if a person has come into contact with Ebola and knows it, give them a refund, whether they have bought insurance or not. Why do I think that is a good idea? Because people would be willing to cancel and then the cruise line do not have a ship full of irate PAX over missed ports.

Here are my concerns the health care workers used recommended protection devices and still contracted the disease. Atleast they had some protection. The virus can be present on surfaces for an extended period of time.

According to World Health Organization (WHO), 95 percent of confirmed Ebola cases have an incubation period in the range of 1 to 21 days, while 98 percent have an incubation period that falls in the 1 to 42-day interval, which means 2 percent— or 1 in 50 people— have a longer incubation period than 21 days.

WHO does not declare an Ebola outbreak over in a country until no new cases are reported within a 42-day period.

Are we being told the complete story?

So . . . What's your point? If every ambulance crew, fire/rescue crew, nurse, doctor, lab tech, unit heath coordinator or other person that gets within sneeze range of an ebola victim is placed under house arrest, how long before the medical system crashes? How long before anybody with flu-like symptoms is refused care?

The "system" will ALWAYS balance overall risk vs. benefits. Rather than focus on the numbers, ask what went wrong in Dallas. It's obvious that something was wrong with the equipment or procedures use in that hospital.

And no, we are not being told the complete story because the "people in charge" don't know the whole story and THAT is the real scary part.

Edited by MSN-Travelers

Is anyone else afraid that it is only a matter of time before the first case of ebola breaks out on a ship and that is the end of the cruise industry?

Since the US is welcoming 150 travelers a day from W. Africa with open arms, it is only a matter of time before it becomes more of a problem than it already is.

I'm terrified! :eek:

Technician who handled Ebola samples in Texas hospital went on a cruise this week.

I did think people were overreacting here, but with stupidity like that perhaps not. Let's hope there is no fallout from that.

Got to give the OP credit for calling this one.

Wait until you get the bill. :eek:

JMHO...but $2988.80 for the two of us in a hump JS...of course the additional flights and hotels that I'm looking at...but still not too bad for this trip taking everything into consideration ;)

JMHO...but $2988.80 for the two of us in a hump JS...of course the additional flights and hotels that I'm looking at...but still not too bad for this trip taking everything into consideration ;)

Wow, that sounds like a good deal - how many days?

And no worries about Asia, anyway. It's aways from West Africa, LOL.

I took a cruise from NJ and started sneezing the night before. After boarding the ship, my cold felt more like the flu. I ended up staying in my cabin for 3 days to avoid spreading germs. When I finally started going to shows, I stayed at the back of the theater away from people. I noticed about 1/4 of the ship had colds. I must commend NCL for having hand sanitizes all over their ships. I use them all the time. Rccl only had them at the dining room on that cruise. Glad I brought my own on board.

I was glad we had a balcony and could call room service. Now when I travel I always bring a face mask for the plane. I may start wearing gloves too. My daughter and her twins had H1n1 last winter and thanks to my face mask and gloves, I never got it while taking care of them.

The rational course of action for Americans seeking to ensure they will live a long and healthy life is to get a flu shot, buckle up on the drive to the pharmacy and buy a tube of sunscreen while you are there.

The rational course of action for Americans seeking to ensure they will live a long and healthy life is to get a flu shot, buckle up on the drive to the pharmacy and buy a tube of sunscreen while you are there.

Some studies show its bad for the old to get such shots. I don't think its right to require people to buckle up. Live free or die. Many recent studies show alot of sunscreens are cancer causing. Better to walk to the store and throw you cell phone away. Enjoy life and when on a cruise enjoy a good cigar and stop worrying we all die in the end. I just want a few more cruises before the end.

Some studies show its bad for the old to get such shots. I don't think its right to require people to buckle up. Live free or die. Many recent studies show alot of sunscreens are cancer causing. Better to walk to the store and throw you cell phone away. Enjoy life and when on a cruise enjoy a good cigar and stop worrying we all die in the end. I just want a few more cruises before the end.

Yes many sunscreens cause cancer, but coconut oil gives you 30 proof.