Cruising and Ebola

NauticalNelle

She wasn't as irresponsible as originally indicated.

I have now heard multiple reports she called CDC TWO times, reported she had a fever of 99.4 and asked if it was safe for her to fly. Both times she was granted permission as her fever was slightly lower than the temperature they have been regarding as sufficiently high to require attention. :eek:

As a nurse, she probably should be held to a higher standard than those of us without formal medical education but she didn't make that decision without presumably competent approval. :rolleyes:

Without question, it would be very much better had she not been on commercial transportation possibly exposing hundreds of people in airports and airplanes.

If the report I heard is correct, she was showing reportable symptoms within 12 hours of arriving back in Dallas.

Irresponsible :confused:...JMHO...I'm not going to call a government agency and ask their opinion if I should travel or not...I'll make my own decision and stay home.

There's goes Carnival and other cruise line stocks...But at the same time, better lower prices for the rest of us!!!;)

I might be able to do a last minute in the 1st quarter next year for dirt cheap. :D

Edited by maywell

How can anyone take our government seriously????? A travel ban should have been put in place as soon as this Ebola moved to the second country. NO ONe and I mean NO one who has traveled to those infected countries or have passports from the infected countries should be allowed to board a plane that comes to the US. NO exceptions. That is how you are supposed to protect your citizens.

Now its here it is way too late. Another 30 days and people will need biohazard suits to step out of their houses. Now they are flying people to different hospitals across the country? That is just plain crazy.

Our government wanted us to become more in the global community, well this is what happens.

Technician who handled Ebola samples in Texas hospital went on a cruise this week.

I did think people were overreacting here, but with stupidity like that perhaps not. Let's hope there is no fallout from that.

Sorry, but I don't think the worker is any stupiditer than our government allowing people to travel to this country from countries where Ebola is known to be an epidemic! If a travel ban had been in place we would not be having this discussion!

Belize refused to allow Carnival to dock/tender so they could remove the passenger in question, saying they don't have the facilities to handle Ebola. Carnival wanted to get the passenger off the ship and sent back to Dallas.

I don't blame Belize for that reaction - that nurse should had known better since bodily fluids can mix in the pool water. Sorry, but she s/he should canceled their trip (this why cruise insurance is important, especially for medical professionals) til everyone who gave care to that guy that died is in the clear or at least getting medical attention. Especially when other nurses were complaining that hospital didn't properly train people in handling Ebola.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I talked to my son who is a doctor. He kind of thanks this country is getting what it deserves. We elect liberal clowns that hate america the CDC has tests that the military uses the device can detect to 90% certainty if one has EBOLA.

The device was in Texas at the hospital but the FDA did not allow its use.

I am not sure she has it but the test on her should be done before the news that she may have EBOLA is out. At this point whether she has it or not may be academic. The cruise industry is in big trouble. Already some ports will not allow our cruise ships to visit if people from west Africa on it even before this news. Its quite likely the restrictions of where our cruise ships can even dock is going to get larger.

The sad truth is that it may be to late. The other party is full of RINOs and the media is fully infected with liberalism. It's very hard in this country to get honest news any more.

We have yet to get serious about stopping it in America will allow and encourage the infected to come into this country and then we are surprised

that its spreading and other countries may start limiting travel by Americans since we aren't yet serious about stopping it here. I would hate to think the left is doing this on purpose so that martial law could be imposed in this country.

Sorry, but I don't think the worker is any stupiditer than our government allowing people to travel to this country from countries where Ebola is known to be an epidemic! If a travel ban had been in place we would not be having this discussion!

I do not think I said the person was stupid-being allowed to take a cruise during the 21 day watch is what was stupid.

I do try not to call people stupid. it is unkind, but sometimes people's actions ARE stupid and some times an organization's actions are stupid, such as the Texas hospital who did not have regulations in effect to protect their Ebola patient caregivers.

Unfortunately stupidity like this may cause a big fall out. let's just hope anyone, with a low grade fever, headaches, tummy issues does not brush it off as a slight "bug" they have.

I don't blame Belize for that reaction - that nurse should had known better since bodily fluids can mix in the pool water. Sorry, but she s/he should canceled their trip (this why cruise insurance is important, especially for medical professionals) til everyone who gave care to that guy that died is in the clear or at least getting medical attention. Especially when other nurses were complaining that hospital didn't properly train people in handling Ebola.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Yes they are protecting their citizens; they are a poor country so they probably do not have the facilities to care for that so cudos to them for not taking a chance.

Speaking of the FDA the hospital in Texas has a machine that can detect Ebola in less than one hour. The machine at the hospital for 2 years. It looks good on paper yet the DAMN FDA would not allow it use to detect for Ebola.

They need special approve yet the machine is so good that the military can use it. I would bet the CDC lets the quarantine go this weekend though some real experts on Ebola say 12% of sick don't show symptoms in 21 days. One would hope the CDC allows these people to have there blood at least checked before they are free. But considering the intelligence of the current leaders of the CDC I doubt they care one bit. They really don't seem to care.

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2014/10/dallas-hospital-had-ebola-screening-machine-military-using-africa/96713/?oref=d-river

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/10/16/drexel-study-claims-21-day-quarantine-for-those-exposed-to-ebola-might-not-be-long-enough/

The FDA is in the pockets of big pharma. Until big pharma has a vax they aren't going to allow the FDA to approve the testing apparatus.

I talked to my son who is a doctor. He kind of thanks this country is getting what it deserves. We elect liberal clowns that hate america the CDC has tests that the military uses the device can detect to 90% certainty if one has EBOLA.

The device was in Texas at the hospital but the FDA did not allow its use.

I am not sure she has it but the test on her should be done before the news that she may have EBOLA is out. At this point whether she has it or not may be academic. The cruise industry is in big trouble. Already some ports will not allow our cruise ships to visit if people from west Africa on it even before this news. Its quite likely the restrictions of where our cruise ships can even dock is going to get larger.

The sad truth is that it may be to late. The other party is full of RINOs and the media is fully infected with liberalism. It's very hard in this country to get honest news any more.

We have yet to get serious about stopping it in America will allow and encourage the infected to come into this country and then we are surprised

that its spreading and other countries may start limiting travel by Americans since we aren't yet serious about stopping it here. I would hate to think the left is doing this on purpose so that martial law could be imposed in this country.

can we please keep the political crap out of this conversation - it is obvious you have an agenda here.

Edited by alexspepa

I really do not understand the CDC stand. Now they are saying that anyone who was in contact the deceased patient should be under travel restrictions and should self monitor.

Yet this country still permits people from the Ebola effected countries to enter the US with just a brief review.

The chances of contracting Ebola on a cruise ship are nearly the same as the odds of getting killed by a riding lawn mower on a cruise. Take a golfing excursion while on a cruise and there are legions of riding lawnmowers waiting to run you down.

Wait a moment, where is Chicken Little?

The sky appears to be falling.

Belize turned Carnival Magic away today and would not allow guests ashore because of the Texas Hospital Lab Supervisor aboard, with her husband, who apparently had some possible exposure to Ebola. She self-quarantined as soon as she learned she could be a carrier/potential victim of the disease but nevertheless she is currently in a cabin on a Carnival Cruise ship. This cannot do the cruise industry anything good.

Edited by sail7seas

I look at it this way - about 4,000 people have died worldwide from Ebola. Per Wikipedia the population of Liberia alone is 4.4million, I did not bother to look up the other two countries. If all 4,000 were in Liberia, that would mean a .01% chance, 1-100th of a percent chance of contracting Ebola. In a country with sub-standard healthcare (Wikipedia says 1 doctor for every 100,000 people!), where the general population does not understand how Ebola spreads, .01% chance!

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for those that have died and I think everyone needs to be vigilant but the chance of any one of us getting Ebola are very low! Look at Mr. Duncan's family - they are nearing 21 days from exposure and none of them are sick! They had direct contact with him and no one is ill. The two nurses did not have "normal" contact with the man, they were performing medical procedures - that is not the contact any of us would ever have!

Kudos to the person who self-quarantined on the ship! She is a smart woman who was looking out for her fellow passengers despite the fact that she is NOT sick, NO symptoms!

If you are afraid to cruise because of Ebola, send me your ticket - I'll gladly get on a ship in your place!

Hello:

It seems we have a bigger problem here than is evident. First, why did the person who thought there might be a problem wait so long to report this. When we board we fill out a form that asks specific health questions. Also, if the disease is found to be incubating, what about all the people he came in contact with who may not know at this point if they are infected? This includes ship workers, cabs, airlines, hotel employees, travelers?

Second, why are people who were at risk from this disease travelling all over the country? Should not this hospital be instructing their workers to monitor themselves and stay close?

It does not appear as if the agencies in place and our "elected" idiots have a clue or can agree on what to do. Let's hope this has been contained.

Just saying..

Hello:

It seems we have a bigger problem here than is evident. First, why did the person who thought there might be a problem wait so long to report this. When we board we fill out a form that asks specific health questions. Also, if the disease is found to be incubating, what about all the people he came in contact with who may not know at this point if they are infected? This includes ship workers, cabs, airlines, hotel employees, travelers?

Second, why are people who were at risk from this disease travelling all over the country? Should not this hospital be instructing their workers to monitor themselves and stay close?

It does not appear as if the agencies in place and our "elected" idiots have a clue or can agree on what to do. Let's hope this has been contained.

Just saying..

It appears the Lab Supervisor, Carnival passenger, did not know she was at risk or putting anyone possibly at risk until CDC notified Carnival of the situation. When she boarded, she was healthy and remains with no Ebola symptoms. There were no restrictions on her movement at the time she went ahead with her travels.

That is actually not what is reported from what I am reading and you are missing the point which is that people who are at risk, should be contained and not among the general population until it is clear that they have not contacted the disease. I would feel the same about someone with the flu spreading germs. We all have a responsibility to each other.

However, the young nurse who flew to Ohio, shopped and placed her loved ones at risk was reported to know that she was not well. Also at risk were all the passengers who flew with her and then the airplane that flew 5 more flights before they realized there was a problem. This is a serious issue. We don't need to panic, just do the "right" thing...

While there are no certainties, I would like to take my cruise vacation (that I saved for all year) with a fairly clear idea that someone is dealing with the problem. The information has been muddy and now we have someone without a public health background... where is the common sense..

It appears the Lab Supervisor, Carnival passenger, did not know she was at risk or putting anyone possibly at risk until CDC notified Carnival of the situation. When she boarded, she was healthy and remains with no Ebola symptoms. There were no restrictions on her movement at the time she went ahead with her travels.

The rules that govern what health care workers can & cannot do has been a moving target. This is exactly why the Lab Supervisor IS NOT at fault for ANYTHING that has occurred while aboard the ship.

I am waiting to see what the fall-out will be from the other passengers. Who they gonna sue . . . the CDC?