Meds/vitamins/snacks - sorry to rehash the issue..

bconley351

You are correct and I didn't mean "waved through" literally. He is called aside and gets a secondary scan & his hip receives a pat down. The process is easier and he doesn't end up getting the 3 strikes and your out treatment or being placed in a glass cage as happened in the States. Have to be more precise in future posts. Hand slapped.

I have implants in both knees. In the US I simply tell the security guys that I have knee replacements and ask if I can go through the whole body scanner --makes it very easy and no uncomfortable whole body pat down. If there is no body scanner then I get wanded and patted. In the UK I requested the body scanner and was denied --not a very pleasant pat-down.

Traveling certainly makes you aware of how different countries approach entry requirements. I am really curious as to why visitors to Australia have such stringent medicine requirements and how do custom agents handle folks who have not read what is needed.

You are correct and I didn't mean "waved through" literally. He is called aside and gets a secondary scan & his hip receives a pat down. The process is easier and he doesn't end up getting the 3 strikes and your out treatment or being placed in a glass cage as happened in the States. Have to be more precise in future posts. Hand slapped.

The "glass cage" clearly identifies the knee or hip implant and is very easy. DW has a knee replacement and prefers the "glass cage" as it eliminates a couple of steps and complications in the security process. So if she goes through the "glass cage" first,she is cleared immediately. No alarm, no step aside, no pat down.

Edited by CruiserBruce

By "glass cage" do you mean the scanner, or is it some glass room where they do a separate check.

I prefer the rotating scanner thingy when going through security, and I'll choose that every time over walking through the metal detector if given the option. I wish I had that choice all the time (and I don't have any implants like a hip replacement).

By "glass cage" do you mean the scanner, or is it some glass room where they do a separate check.

I prefer the rotating scanner thingy when going through security, and I'll choose that every time over walking through the metal detector if given the option. I wish I had that choice all the time (and I don't have any implants like a hip replacement).

The rotating scanner sure looks like a glass cage.

Traveling certainly makes you aware of how different countries approach entry requirements. I am really curious as to why visitors to Australia have such stringent medicine requirements and how do custom agents handle folks who have not read what is needed.

Small country, protected pharmaceutical agency with a government that pays supplemental payments for prescription drugs to reduce costs. Neighbouring countries in Asia with death penalties for illegal drugs. Strong presence of Anti Doping for sport (cortisone and steroids are often monitored very closely)

If people haven't read the rule book they can spend quite some time at customs while every thing is sorted out, e.g. phone calls to drs. Chemical analysis of the drugs they are carrying. They also make for a nice episode on Border Patrol TV show

As I've said before having easy paperwork and everything in original packaging and together in your hand luggage makes life easier for you. Mr Waldo and I have done numerous OS trips, Mr Waldo was doing about 30 per year at one stage and carrying script meds from here. The drs signed paper always made things a bit faster

Edited by MrsWaldo

I take about 12 different vitamins/minerals daily. When I travel I put each day's supply in a little plastic bag. Do you mean to tell me that even if declare them, I won't be able to take them in? Really don't want to pack 12 different bottles, some of which are large size. Will be there for a month so it's a lot of pills.

I take about 12 different vitamins/minerals daily. When I travel I put each day's supply in a little plastic bag. Do you mean to tell me that even if declare them, I won't be able to take them in? Really don't want to pack 12 different bottles, some of which are large size. Will be there for a month so it's a lot of pills.

OTC medicines don't have the same restrictions as prescription medicines, but there are some vitamin and supplement regulations that might apply - especially if they are not vitamins or minerals but are supplements containing any plant or animal product. You could start with their customs website: http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate/Pages/default.aspx and the Biosecurity website: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/

Regarding meds.

New Zealand's is quite clear: If visitors wish to bring prescription medicine to New Zealand, Customs recommends the following: carry a note from your doctor outlining what the medication is, the medical condition it is for, and the quantity you are expected to need during your stay

keep all the medication in its original packaging.

This site also discusses OTC meds http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/compliance/faqs.asp

Australia requires a similar list but does not have to state each medical condition. They also have rules pertinent to many medications that require pre-approval for admission into the country.

http://www.tga.gov.au/consumers/travellers-entering.htm#.VEBD3L5CpBw

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/general-guidance-for-travellers-bringing-medicines-to-and-from-australia

Edited by Alaskanb

I am reading this thread for the first time, and I am bewildered by this conversation. We have traveled for years with both prescription and non-prescription meds, and no one has ever questioned us about them. In fact, I bring half of CVS when we go to some destinations. What am I missing here? I read Alaskanb's link to the items forbidden in New Zealand, and I see no reference to meds. Why is this an issue? Help! We are leaving in a week for Sydney to Auckland cruise. Please clue us in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am reading this thread for the first time, and I am bewildered by this conversation. We have traveled for years with both prescription and non-prescription meds, and no one has ever questioned us about them. In fact, I bring half of CVS when we go to some destinations. What am I missing here? I read Alaskanb's link to the items forbidden in New Zealand, and I see no reference to meds. Why is this an issue? Help! We are leaving in a week for Sydney to Auckland cruise. Please clue us in!

Each country has it's own rules regarding travelers bringing in (i.e. importing for personal use for a limited period of time). Australia and New Zealand are the first I have ever seen with such specific regulations and we also have travelled a lot! I have not found a list of forbidden meds like in Australia. Here is a link for their formulary http://www.nzulm.org.nz/search

This is the section from the link that I provided :

What are the requirements for personal importation of medicines?

Bringing medicines into New Zealand on your person or in luggage

If you are arriving into New Zealand and carrying prescription medicines (other than controlled drugs) either on your person or in your luggage you must ensure:

You declare the possession of those medicines on your incoming passenger arrival card which is lawfully required, and inspected, by the New Zealand Customs Service; and

You have a copy of the prescription from your doctor, or a letter from your doctor stating that you are being treated with the medicine(s), and

You carry the medicine(s) in their original containers, and

You have a quantity not exceeding three months supply for prescription medicines (with the exception of oral contraceptives which can be supplied in six month quantities.

All other medicines including herbal medicines, dietary supplements and over-the-counter medicines may be imported without the above documentation provided they do not contain prescription medicines. Over the counter medicines may only be imported for individual use or for a member of your immediate family. Please note that anything in your possession that might be considered as a prescription medicine or controlled drug must be declared on your incoming passenger arrival card. If in doubt, declare it.

The bottom line for both Australia and New Zealand is we need a list of prescription meds, with their generic name and dosage, signed by your doctor. We will declare them on the arrival form and go through the customs line of those with items to declare. Agents will check our stuff and we will be on our way. For OTC meds I take the original containers and purchase sizes to last the weeks we will be away. Blister packs are great for the just-in-case items, like Imodium, as they are clearly marked. For this trip everything will be in zip-locks in my personal bag so it's easy to access.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Alaskanb

Hi. I read the info on prescription meds. I'm assuming that this applies to those passengers getting off ships and planes that will be spending time in Aus/NZ. We will be spending about 10 days in NZ but Sydney is just a day in port before we continue our vacation. We always carry an up-to-date card that lists all our prescriptions. So, the question is do we need to do anything for Australia?

Thanks, Lynda

Hi. I read the info on prescription meds. I'm assuming that this applies to those passengers getting off ships and planes that will be spending time in Aus/NZ. We will be spending about 10 days in NZ but Sydney is just a day in port before we continue our vacation. We always carry an up-to-date card that lists all our prescriptions. So, the question is do we need to do anything for Australia?

Thanks, Lynda

I asked the Australia customs folks and my understanding is yes. We enter Australia from New Zealand in Hobart and will do all formalities on-board the ship. We debark in Sydney and will just spend one day there before heading home.You will need your prescription list signed by your doctor.

Edited by Alaskanb

Other countries are even stricter.

There are very few countries that DON'T require a prescription for Codeine, so Nurofen+ and other over-the-counter medicines available here are illegal with out a prescription.

In some countries (Middle East in particular) Codeine is a class 1 drug and you could go to jail for a long time for something as mild as Nurofen+

other over-the-counter medicines available here are illegal with out a prescription.

Yes - in New Zealand, pseudoephedrine is illegal without a prescription, but it's commonly sold in Canada in OTC decongestants.

The truth is, I could probably have some tabs in my toiletry kit and no one would be the wiser......but, should I get caught with them, it could conceivably ruin my much anticipated and fairly expensive vacation.

The question is whether you are willing to risk smuggling in items and breaking the law -- but you should at least know what the law is before you can decide. After that, what risks you take are up to you.

Yes - in New Zealand, pseudoephedrine is illegal without a prescription, but it's commonly sold in Canada in OTC decongestants.

The truth is, I could probably have some tabs in my toiletry kit and no one would be the wiser......but, should I get caught with them, it could conceivably ruin my much anticipated and fairly expensive vacation.

The question is whether you are willing to risk smuggling in items and breaking the law -- but you should at least know what the law is before you can decide. After that, what risks you take are up to you.

Since I regularly carry pseudo ephedrine with me for allergies, what are generic OTC decongestants I can carry in with me? I'll need to find something before we leave, and see if it works for me. We hope to dive post cruise at the GBR so I need to make sure my ears are clear. We'll be entering both Australia and New Zealand, so I need acceptable meds for both countries.

You can buy Pseudoephedrine here OTC in the Chemist, this is what you'll be looking for rather than Pharmacy, although some places will have Pharmacy written as well/instead. (language variation)

Sudafed is the most common. If you wanted to you could buy it on arrival here to use pre trip for GBR

Thanks AlaskanB and Mrs Waldo. I picked up some phenylephrine while out doing marketing today. Will start trying it out.

I find it makes me less jittery than pseudophedrine. I buy the sinus formula one that is a combo of tylenol and phenylephrine because it allows me to take a low dose. I just add in a second tylenol to get me to the correct dose for that.

You can buy pseudophedrine here OTC, you just need to provide ID and they record it so they can keep tabs on people who buy too much of it. It's not illegal, but bringing in more than a realistic personal use amount can land you in jail.

People talking about bringing lots of OTC Meds and vitamins here for their trips, just remember you can buy it all here. Pharmacies are just as common as they are back home, if you need a decongestant, pain killers, Imodium etc, just but it when you get here to save the troubles of wondering if you can bring it or not. In fact the airports will have one in the terminal, you can stick up right away. All you need to bring is your essential prescription medication, with a copy of the script or a note from your dr confirming you are on it. Chances are is no one will even question it, but if you don't have the letter and you do get questioned, you can be in trouble.

I think you're all overthinking this.

I am a NZ resident who travels regularly between NZ and Australia. I do have prescription medications and I do carry a doctor's letter and keep my medications in their original containers.

However, I have never had to declare my medications, never been asked and never been searched.

Get the doctor's letter, use the original containers and stop worrying about it.

FWIW, the immigration people are far more concerned about foodstuff and anything that might be a threat to Aus and NZ's biosecurity than they are about a few prescribed medicines.

• 4 weeks later...
I asked the Australia customs folks and my understanding is yes. We enter Australia from New Zealand in Hobart and will do all formalities on-board the ship. We debark in Sydney and will just spend one day there before heading home.You will need your prescription list signed by your doctor.

We have entered Australia twice and debarked in Sydney twice. Other than filling in the declaration concerning prescription and OTC meds on the ship, we have never been asked to provide a prescription list signed by our doctor. We do travel with the prescription medication boxes and the repeat prescription tear-off sheet but it is not signed by our doctor. The only thing we showed was some wooden coasters purchased in New Zealand but they had no problem with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agreed with celle and Dorset Cruiser, any prescription and otc medicines you legally obtained from your country for your personal use will have no problem.

Border control officers are more interested in catching drug smugglers than pax on multiple medications and vitamins who forgot a doctor's letter. You would certainly need to bring a letter with you if you have complex medical conditions in the event of needing treatment by another doctor in a foreign country. For those cortisone cream and anticongestant meds, as long as the amount you bring is consistent with the duration of your trip, and you are not bring extra 2 dozens to sell, it will be okay even it is something not available in Aus/NZ.

• 3 weeks later...

To plan ahead for our April trip to Australia and New Zealand, if I buy OTC stuff like pseudophedrine and Immodium when I get there, I will not have any letter just the pharmacy receipt. Can I go from one country to another (We will be in New Zealand then Australia) with these meds I always bring just in case without a problem?

• 1 month later...
1. You can take off refillable bottles if they are empty

2. Cereal is less likely to be allowed than the chocolate bars so yes bring chocolate bars as well. Declare all of them and mention the empty water bottles.

3. Yep that's the way to do it

4. Should be OK provided they are OTC here. Some cortisone creams require a script here. Perhaps have dr include these in his letter.

5. if the vitamins are in original packaging no issues. Often the bottles are huge so buy a small version just for carrying.

6. No, bring it, lots of people do. Just make sure it is well rinsed and free of any sand/salt residue etc. Declare and they'll inspect.

The officers are generally pretty good.

Still uncertain about vitamins/supplements - really need to take it in original bottle? I think I might just do without!