Large angry crowds on the Breeze

xSpec

It is really a shame that some folks reacted the way they did, if anything they wasted part of their cruise acting like idiots. I have had cruises cut short, ports missed, a 4 day cruise changed from Cozumel to Progreso, etc. Ship happens. Go grab a cocktail and relax.

But if the ship was giving OBC for those who complained why not join in the fun? $200 in OBC can buy more than just one relaxing cocktail.:D

I guess I just don't understand how you were embarrassed. I guess you must have thought they were representing you or something.

BTW, usually only when you do complain do you get credit, unless there's suspected Ebola on board. One cruise of passengers not getting to one port involving virus got $200 on board credit, and 50% off their next cruise.

Another cruise of passengers not getting to any of their ports also including virus got nothing. And then something.

They certainly would not have been representing me. I always get embarrassed by people making fools of themselves and confronting others who can't even affect what they want anyways. The squeaky gear gets the grease plan is part of the problem, not the solution (IMHO). Your last sentence has been answered here many times, different scenarios...one totally unique and handled in a great way by the Carnival management and the other normal business operations.

Why would they comp part of the cruise fare for someone they aren't contractually required to do so if they're being banned from the cruise operator? Compensation in this industry is offered as goodwill in hopes the guest returns.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of ANY comp/refund. I'm in favor of throwing disruptive / obnoxious / low-class people into the nearest lifeboat and setting them adrift.

The 15% suggestion was just to keep them mollified and hopefully quiet until the end of the cruise. Then, after debarkation, Carnival could send them a letter thanking them for NO future business.

I know, it's my dream world...

The October 12 sailing of the Conquest had Half Moon Bay, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk originally scheduled, but we were diverted to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya due to Hurricane Gonzalvo. I received $6.02 refund in port charges. Since the eastern itinerary with HMB is generally a higher priced cruise than the western itinerary, I thought it would be nice if Carnival offered that differential in fare price. Alas, not to be.

Since I was on a B2B, I returned to those same western ports the week of Oct 19. It was certainly interesting to be deva vu-ing the same exact route! Turned out to be twice the fun too.

Sounds like you made the best of it. :) I think anyone has the right to be disappointed, especially if you were going to ports you have never been. But to head to GS and throw a temper tantrum is sad. I doubt Carnival likes changing the plans either. We all know sometimes it is out of their control. I hope next time you get to go to all the places you wanted to visit!

The October 12 sailing of the Conquest had Half Moon Bay, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk originally scheduled, but we were diverted to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya due to Hurricane Gonzalvo. I received $6.02 refund in port charges. Since the eastern itinerary with HMB is generally a higher priced cruise than the western itinerary, I thought it would be nice if Carnival offered that differential in fare price. Alas, not to be.

Since I was on a B2B, I returned to those same western ports the week of Oct 19. It was certainly interesting to be deva vu-ing the same exact route! Turned out to be twice the fun too.

I think just about everybody on this thread is missing the point.

Last week the Magic missed the port of Cozumel due to a medical emergency. As a result, all passengers were given a $200 OBC, a 50% discount on a future cruise and a refund of their port fees.

This week the Breeze misses a port due to a medical emergency and the passengers are given nothing but a refund of the port fees (as required by law).

People know that ports can be missed. However, people also expect fair treatment. Carnival set the precedent of giving large awards for missing ports. Now people just want to be threated the same as others.

How does Carnival decide which passengers to compensate and which not to compensate for a missed port. Another example of Carnival's uneven application of it's own company policies.

And for those who have forgotten, there was no Ebola on the Magic.

You are missing the point. Carnival gave the over reimbursement because of inconvenience caused by somebody on ship that worked with an Ebola patient. Because of the hysteria surrounding Ebola, Carnival over reacted and gave way too much compensation. But there was NO Medical Emergency involved on the Magic. Carnival DID create an unfortunate precedence with the $200 obc and 50% off future discount. This was a once in a lifetime occurance, though.

But if the ship was giving OBC for those who complained why not join in the fun? $200 in OBC can buy more than just one relaxing cocktail.:D
Yes ! I suspect that many who say they would never never never make asses of themselves demanding

compensation actually would if it meant getting $200 in OBC to say nothing of 1/2 off a future booking.

Edited to say that for some, the price might be way less then $200 . :eek:

Edited by richstowe

Everyone on the Breeze should call post-cruise guest care at 1-800-CARNIVAL and let them know of any specific issues. As for me, I know you can't control the weather or medical emergencies but you can have the shore excursion desk open to answer questions as soon as the announcement was made rather than waiting for the scheduled desk times.

Everyone on the Breeze should call post-cruise guest care at 1-800-CARNIVAL and let them know of any specific issues. As for me, I know you can't control the weather or medical emergencies but you can have the shore excursion desk open to answer questions as soon as the announcement was made rather than waiting for the scheduled desk times.

Why not wait till the scheduled hours?

You are missing the point. Carnival gave the over reimbursement because of inconvenience caused by somebody on ship that worked with an Ebola patient. Because of the hysteria surrounding Ebola, Carnival over reacted and gave way too much compensation. But there was NO Medical Emergency involved on the Magic. Carnival DID create an unfortunate precedence with the $200 obc and 50% off future discount. This was a once in a lifetime occurance, though.

OK, I will play. Who says it was an over reimbursement? Who says they over reacted? Who says it is an "unfortunate precedent"? Last I knew, they are the cruise line and pretty much cando what they want. They did a good thing for the cruisers, I applaud their effort. If you go back and look at past events, they stepped up to the plate on those occasions as well. Carnival actually has a good history of how they treat their cruisers in special circumstances. Diversions that are weather related are totally different.

Everyone on the Breeze should call post-cruise guest care at 1-800-CARNIVAL and let them know of any specific issues . . .

I understand your request and appreciate your opinion, but in this particular situation it really wouldn't have mattered in the end.

We were to be the only ship in Key West, and we were.

We were then to be the only ship anchored off Grand Caymen, but we diverted to Mexico, and arrived later than most excursions would be offered, plus we were sharing the space with three other ships (who got 'first dibs' and were already supposed to be there).

Had the Shore Excursions desk opened prior to the Captain or Ralph (Wee Jimmy) putting a period on their last sentence in the announcenemt, it would have been all for nothing . . . as our feet never once touched soil after that first Mexico diversion.

If I called Guest Care, I certainly could voice several disappointments about the itinerary, but then I'd have to pepper it with a few "I really liked . . . I really enjoyed . . . And that was good . . . And that I loved", which would make me start to think about my call, and then I'd feel a bit like a douche, and then I'd just hang up and hope they didn't have Caller ID. ;)

Edited by DGP1111

When I was in Cozumel a few weeks ago the ship did not arrive until 1:30. My excursion left at 2:30. If people would just calm down things would work out. We also didn't dock downtown. Big deal.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Forums mobile app

On our 5 day Inspiration cruise we had 2 medical ERs and one death, all passengers. We missed a scheduled port (but were taken to a different port) so that one of the sick passengers could be taken by ambulance at midnight in Cozumel to a hospital, and on our last sea day we had to divert to within 90 miles of Key West so that the coast guard could come and airlift another sick passenger from the ship causing the water park to be closed for several hours on the upper back deck to make it safe for the helicopter, and nobody that I saw complained at all, people were very concerned about the sick people and the family of the person who died. Everyone seemed to understand and just go with it thankfully, to riot over something like a missed port is just so stupid:rolleyes:

I was on this cruise, and we got off the boat only in in key west and Cozumel, which we traveled to at warp speed as there was a sick passenger needing to disembark at the closest port which was Cozumel. we got there at 3 in the afternoon so all shore excursions involving water were cancelled, and the rain was not help either.

After we got back on board the ship the next day we had another medical emergency this time with a crew member requiring surgery so we were again proceeding at warp speed to Grand Cayman arriving there at 1 AM again in high seas. We circled the island the entire night and were told the next day that tenders could not run due to high seas and we were off again.

We were basically a high speed nautical ambulance in the middle of a tropical depression we could never seem to lose. Finally in GC the sun came out and when we couldnt get off the ship. we had to head back to Miami, through the same bad weather we had coming south. The ship and activities were ok but it seems when a boat has have passengers on board with no option of getting off, it does not seem that Carnival has any alternative plans for extended sea days of bad weather, more shows more games in places where more than 50 people could be...all in all we spent 4 out of 6 days on board.

People made the best of it... Nights were great shows were good food was good we got free champagne and an extra lobster night! So hey make the best of it, I could have been at work!

I have some good pics of the waves on the ship as we were in a cove balcony which we loved. 2293 has no lifeboats over it so we got the sun when it was shining, saw dolphin once too.

Sorry everything didn't go according to plan, I'm sure it was disappointing. I am glad to hear you had fun regardless. Hopefully next time will go a little smoother for you. I hope everyone that had an emergency is ok as well.

I was on this cruise, and we got off the boat only in in key west and Cozumel, which we traveled to at warp speed as there was a sick passenger needing to disembark at the closest port which was Cozumel. we got there at 3 in the afternoon so all shore excursions involving water were cancelled, and the rain was not help either.

After we got back on board the ship the next day we had another medical emergency this time with a crew member requiring surgery so we were again proceeding at warp speed to Grand Cayman arriving there at 1 AM again in high seas. We circled the island the entire night and were told the next day that tenders could not run due to high seas and we were off again.

We were basically a high speed nautical ambulance in the middle of a tropical depression we could never seem to lose. Finally in GC the sun came out and when we couldnt get off the ship. we had to head back to Miami, through the same bad weather we had coming south. The ship and activities were ok but it seems when a boat has have passengers on board with no option of getting off, it does not seem that Carnival has any alternative plans for extended sea days of bad weather, more shows more games in places where more than 50 people could be...all in all we spent 4 out of 6 days on board.

People made the best of it... Nights were great shows were good food was good we got free champagne and an extra lobster night! So hey make the best of it, I could have been at work!

I have some good pics of the waves on the ship as we were in a cove balcony which we loved. 2293 has no lifeboats over it so we got the sun when it was shining, saw dolphin once too.

I understand your request and appreciate your opinion, but in this particular situation it really wouldn't have mattered in the end.

We were to be the only ship in Key West, and we were.

We were then to be the only ship anchored off Grand Caymen, but we diverted to Mexico, and arrived later than most excursions would be offered, plus we were sharing the space with three other ships (who got 'first dibs' and were already supposed to be there).

Had the Shore Excursions desk opened prior to the Captain or Ralph (Wee Jimmy) putting a period on their last sentence in the announcenemt, it would have been all for nothing . . . as our feet never once touched soil after that first Mexico diversion.

If I called Guest Care, I certainly could voice several disappointments about the itinerary, but then I'd have to pepper it with a few "I really liked . . . I really enjoyed . . . And that was good . . . And that I loved", which would make me start to think about my call, and then I'd feel a bit like a douche, and then I'd just hang up and hope they didn't have Caller ID. ;)

Made me laugh out loud.:D

Love to see the pics of the waves!